Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

I don't think there will be any clawing back. These exchanges are live fire asset transaction platforms, there aren't training wheels.

Most US exchanges bust trades regularly. I think they even did so for the flash crash of 2010.

These people are still idiots though. Those exchanges have rules that lay out when they will take action.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Square Peg
Nov 11, 2008

Lmao, I wonder if they'll fork Ethereum again after this like they did with that big investment group that got "hacked".

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Ashcans posted:

I wasn't really paying too much attention to this because lol, cryptocurrency:

So basically, someone got enough of a stake that it crashed the whole thing when they sold. What are the chances that was their intention, and they immediately turned around and re-bought at the bottom, so they now have a pile of money and enough stake in ether to repeat the same trick again?

This is what I've been saying about holding huge amounts of any of these cryptocurrencies. Any time you do manage to transfer out a bunch, it totally destabilizes the market.

FateFree
Nov 14, 2003

Does this mean that the single actor who cashed out all these coins started losing money on the sale? Meaning the first few coins at regular market price but then lower and lower all the way down to $13?

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

FateFree posted:

Does this mean that the single actor who cashed out all these coins started losing money on the sale? Meaning the first few coins at regular market price but then lower and lower all the way down to $13?

unknown because we don't know how he acquired that amount and at what cost

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

FateFree posted:

quote:

On 21 June 2017 at 12:30pm PT, a multimillion dollar market sell was placed on the GDAX ETH-USD order book. This resulted in orders being filled from $317.81 to $224.48, translating into a book slippage of 29.4%. This slippage started a cascade of approximately 800 stop loss orders and margin funding liquidations, causing ETH to temporarily trade as low as $0.10.
Our initial investigations show no indication of wrongdoing or account takeovers. We understand this event can be frustrating for our customers. Our matching engine operated as intended throughout this event and trading with advanced features like margin always carries inherent risk.
We are continuing to conduct a thorough investigation and will keep customers updated with any resulting actions. With that in mind, it is important to note that these trades are final in accordance with our GDAX Trading Rules (Section 3.1). Honoring properly executed orders is critical to maintaining the integrity of an exchange.
In response to the large price movement we decided to temporarily halt trading of ETH-USD. Once we confirmed all systems were operating correctly, we restored trading in accordance with our Downtime Process (Section 5).

So whoever made that massive order didn't lose that much. Everyone whose stop-loss orders triggered after that though...

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

It wasn't one person burning the whole thing down. What happened is that one person dumped a ton of currency, and that flood began to fill up all the available orders, dropping the trading price - the first person kept on selling, so the price kept on dropping. They sold from $317 down to $224, so they only lost any money if they had bought up some of their share at higher than $224, but the original trigger stopped selling at $224, they didn't drive it all the way to the floor.

But what happened is that that price drop was severe enough to trigger a bunch of 'stop loss' orders other people had placed- basically people could set an order to automatically sell if the price dropped below X. Every time one of those stop-loss orders triggered, it dropped more available ether into the market, and kept pushing the price down further, triggering more stop-losses.

The whole thing got even worse because people were margin-trading:

quote:

he process was even more painful for the many traders who were engaged in margin trading, a feature that GDAX has only permitted on the exchange since March. In margin trading, traders are permitted to place buy and sell orders for larger sums than they have in their accounts, multiplying the potential size of both gains and losses. According to the support documents on the site, GDAX offered margin traders up to 3x leverage for the USD/ETH trading pair, meaning that someone with only a $1,000 account balance could buy or sell up to $3,000 of ether.

But as a precautionary measure, margin trading accounts are set to automatically liquidate in order to make up the money borrowed (i.e. sell all ether as quickly as possible) if losses exceeded a certain amount, a process called "margin calling." With the crash happening so fast, traders were margin called almost instantly, and in some cases saw their entire holdings sold off at very low prices before they could react—selling, say, 100 ETH at $2 to cover just a few hundred dollars' loss, right before the market bounced back to almost $300/ETH again.

So someone might be sitting there holding a certain amount of ether and with a number of margin trades. The first person sells a bunch, triggering stop-loss sales, which continue to push the price down, and now margin calls are coming in to prevent even larger losses - but what this does is dump the trader's held ether into the market at whatever the current price is, which just drives the trading price even further down and triggers even more stop losses and margin calls. It bottoms out when its blown through all those and hit a floor where there are no more stop losses and all the margin calls have been met; depending on the exchange, that was somewhere between $13 and $0.10.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Wonder how many people got really lucky buying in at ~$1 and wound up with like 500 ETH instead of the 1 they were trying to buy.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

I don't think there will be any clawing back. These exchanges are live fire asset transaction platforms, there aren't training wheels.

We're talking about etherium, the one that did a hard fork to reset the whole thing when someone "hacked" it by running a program on their poorly written software that just recursively said "send me money" over and over.

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

Is there any good reason to have a stop loss order at 5% of the market price? If its fallen that low its almost worthless anyway so might as well hold.

Or was it because of the speed of the drop because of low volume someone might have had a stop loss at $200, but it didn't get filled until it was much lower?

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
I weep for how much attention and focus is given to these abstract, meaningless systems while the world burns and people are struggling to secure basic necessities

I mean it's not literally burning (at least not my corner) but humans are such bizarre, illogical creatures. Is anybody else who is reading these last few posts also sort of feeling like "yeah, everything isn't going to be okay," or am I just an angry, out of touch nerd?

I get that established currencies themselves are already an abstract system and I am a good slave to the puppetmasters or whatever but geeze if people put that much effort into making their life/their surroundings better instead of racing to the next get-rich-quick scheme

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

KingSlime posted:

but geeze if people put that much effort into making their life/their surroundings better instead of racing to the next get-rich-quick scheme
You really underestimate the shortsightedness of the common homo sapiens. I'm not even excluding myself from that statement. We're murderhobos.

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

I imagine many of the margin calls were executed at a price where they would be left with a negative balance. I wonder how GDAX is going to handle that? I imagine they were the ones providing the margin...

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

KingSlime posted:

I weep for how much attention and focus is given to these abstract, meaningless systems while the world burns and people are struggling to secure basic necessities

I mean it's not literally burning (at least not my corner) but humans are such bizarre, illogical creatures. Is anybody else who is reading these last few posts also sort of feeling like "yeah, everything isn't going to be okay," or am I just an angry, out of touch nerd?

I get that established currencies themselves are already an abstract system and I am a good slave to the puppetmasters or whatever but geeze if people put that much effort into making their life/their surroundings better instead of racing to the next get-rich-quick scheme

If you want to really make yourself depressed look into the environmental impact of this kind of poo poo. Burning through electricity at a rate that rivals entire nations, for nothing.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

If you want to really make yourself depressed look into the environmental impact of this kind of poo poo. Burning through electricity at a rate that rivals entire nations, for nothing.

Yeah I just did some digging on that and :drat:

we absolutely deserve every single thing that we cause on ourselves collectively, and yes our children will bear our sins simply due to the fact that they are part of the murderhobo species

Until then, I'm going to continue fighting against my debts while trying to scrounge up six months' savings I guess

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

ate all the Oreos posted:

We're talking about etherium, the one that did a hard fork to reset the whole thing when someone "hacked" it by running a program on their poorly written software that just recursively said "send me money" over and over.

But we're talking about an exchange that just scoots numbers around between USD and ETH in a database, not necessarily resolving the transactions on an external network.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

legendof posted:

More on the ethereum crash: https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/article/heres-how-traders-lost-millions-in-the-first-ethereum-flash-crash

My favorite part is this part:

"My stop loss calls worked exactly how they said they would, but it meant I lost money, and that feels unfair! Better sue."

Zoiby want to buy on margin!

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX

KingSlime posted:

lol yes, yes you are being melodramatic and weird about this

things that people spend much much much more time on for even less, uh, improvement of the human race or whatever you're on about : watching tv, playing video games, sitting around doing nothing

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Zo posted:

lol yes, yes you are being melodramatic and weird about this

things that people spend much much much more time on for even less, uh, improvement of the human race or whatever you're on about : watching tv, playing video games, sitting around doing nothing
Entertainment and rest are vital to mental health, though.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007

Zo posted:

ehh I get that but still running up 100x normal energy usage and creating mining data centers for literally nothing is surely more impacting to the "uh, well-being of the planet/allotment of resources or whatever" than sitting around doing nothing

Though the manufacturing and consumption associated with TV and all things media/entertainmaint is probably much more destructive and disruptive in the long run so point taken

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Ashcans posted:

It wasn't one person burning the whole thing down. What happened is that one person dumped a ton of currency, and that flood began to fill up all the available orders, dropping the trading price - the first person kept on selling, so the price kept on dropping. They sold from $317 down to $224, so they only lost any money if they had bought up some of their share at higher than $224, but the original trigger stopped selling at $224, they didn't drive it all the way to the floor.

But what happened is that that price drop was severe enough to trigger a bunch of 'stop loss' orders other people had placed- basically people could set an order to automatically sell if the price dropped below X. Every time one of those stop-loss orders triggered, it dropped more available ether into the market, and kept pushing the price down further, triggering more stop-losses.

So someone might be sitting there holding a certain amount of ether and with a number of margin trades. The first person sells a bunch, triggering stop-loss sales, which continue to push the price down, and now margin calls are coming in to prevent even larger losses - but what this does is dump the trader's held ether into the market at whatever the current price is, which just drives the trading price even further down and triggers even more stop losses and margin calls. It bottoms out when its blown through all those and hit a floor where there are no more stop losses and all the margin calls have been met; depending on the exchange, that was somewhere between $13 and $0.10.

oh man this is the good poo poo right here

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
We're getting entertainment from it, isn't that enough?

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
Bad With Funny Money 3.0: My money just vanished into the ether

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Droo posted:

Under AHCA we actually plan to just take as many organs from people who can't pay as we think is fair for the services rendered.

What if the service provided is the removal of organs? Is that procedure free?

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

Xenoborg posted:

Is there any good reason to have a stop loss order at 5% of the market price? If its fallen that low its almost worthless anyway so might as well hold.

Or was it because of the speed of the drop because of low volume someone might have had a stop loss at $200, but it didn't get filled until it was much lower?

It is the latter case scenario. Flash crashes are so deadly because stop loss orders and margin liquidations occur at market price. Crucially, the actual market price is whatever price a buy bid is available at, which can be extremely low (and very possibly the seller had colluding buyers prepared to buy at dirt cheap prices).

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
I was looking at Disney's wedding website at the various venues they have available and I found these "wonderful" add-ons you can purchase:

quote:

Tacky Tourists – These wacky, fun-loving Disney fanatics know everything about Disney and will entertain your guests and liven up your reception.
Uninvited Wedding Guests – You left them off your guest list for a reason, but they showed up anyway! This humorous, polyester-clad husband and wife will mingle with your guests, performing side-splitting improvisational comedy.

Or go all the way and pay for a private Disney fireworks show:

quote:

Private Fireworks – Rocket your wedding into the stratosphere and splash the night sky with your own private fireworks display! (Select locations only)

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Ashcans posted:

So they set up macros to panic sell low and crashed their own currency.

The real comedy here is they're the people who think they don't need any consumer protections. Unrelated: been thinking about starting a financial advice firm, just need capital. Who wants to venture some?

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

KingSlime posted:

Yeah I just did some digging on that and :drat:

we absolutely deserve every single thing that we cause on ourselves collectively, and yes our children will bear our sins simply due to the fact that they are part of the murderhobo species

Until then, I'm going to continue fighting against my debts while trying to scrounge up six months' savings I guess

If anyone's curious it's something insane like 10 to 15KWh per transaction for bitcoin. One of the chinese mining companies literally bought an entire hydroelectric dam just for themselves.

Anza Borrego
Feb 11, 2005

Ovis canadensis nelsoni

Zamujasa posted:

Bad With Funny Money 3.0: My money just vanished into the ether

:perfect:

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

If anyone's curious it's something insane like 10 to 15KWh per transaction for bitcoin. One of the chinese mining companies literally bought an entire hydroelectric dam just for themselves.

Like, 15kwh to transfer funds? What the gently caress? Or is that just to mine one?

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Like, 15kwh to transfer funds? What the gently caress? Or is that just to mine one?

To transfer funds, distributed across the global network (IE the entire planet's bitcoin miners consume 15KWh to process a single transaction, your computer doesn't actually use that much by itself or whatever)

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
How many KWH is each shitpost?

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
I've posted about both of these cases and they're at an end in the court system.

quote:

The daughter who borrowed $367,000 from her parents, then didn't pay the money back, has had another $14,000 for legal costs added to the bill.

Marian and Trevor Warin successfully sued their daughter Colleen for money that had been owing for years – and now a judge has decided their daughter also owes them costs.

That's right borrow your parents retirement money so they they can't enjoy it and don't bother getting a job to pay them back like a completely worthless daughter.
http://www.stuff.co.nz/business/94016697/daughters-debt-to-lenderparents-has-14000-costs-added-to-367000

quote:

Tessa Fiona Grant lived a life of luxury.

She paid $200,000 for a horse truck and spent tens of thousands of dollars landscaping her home. And for her summer 2010 nuptials, she splashed out on a $5000 wedding singer whose song list includes an acoustic rendition of Michael Jackson's 1982 hit Billie Jean. But her million-dollar lifestyle was at the cost of her former employer, SkyCity Hamilton. Her offending was detailed in the court summary of facts: 71 transactions between December 2008 and April 2013 for a total of $1,980,922.02.

While employed as the finance manager and on a salary of $125,000, Grant began banking cheques that were supposed to be used for SkyCity business. Toward the end of her employment, Grant acted as the general manager and her salary was $189,000 per year.

She spent more than 10 years gross salary of the casino's money on her horse training property. Clearly that $2m was well spent on what appears to be a loss making venture.
http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/crime/94018027/skycity-fraudster-tessa-grant-pleads-guilty-in-the-hamilton-district-court

22 Eargesplitten posted:

No that's per transaction. There's about 275,000 transactions per day. So that's about 4.1 GW.h per day. Pretty loving efficient for bitcoin.

Devian666 fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Jun 23, 2017

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Zero One posted:

Or go all the way and pay for a private Disney fireworks show:

"Private"? Do they hang tarps from airplanes so no one else can see them?

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

"Private"? Do they hang tarps from airplanes so no one else can see them?

They're ultraviolet fireworks so you have to wear their proprietary Goofy Goggles to view them. To everyone else it just sounds like normal Florida gunfire.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Solice Kirsk posted:

They're ultraviolet fireworks so you have to wear their proprietary Goofy Goggles to view them. To everyone else it just sounds like normal Florida gunfire.

And gives you your normal Florida night-time sunburns :v:

John Smith
Feb 26, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

KingSlime posted:

Isn't the whole point of our tremendous wealth that we can afford to indulge such bullshit? Would you rather be starving to death without any of this nonsense?

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

John Smith posted:

Isn't the whole point of our tremendous wealth that we can afford to indulge such bullshit? Would you rather be starving to death without any of this nonsense?

I'm not sure those are the only two possible options, or even that "having tremendous wealth" is done for a valid point at all, at least when it gets beyond surviving and living comfortably

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

theHUNGERian posted:

What if the service provided is the removal of organs? Is that procedure free?

No, in that case excess organs get stuffed inside you to save on the proper disposal procedures.

I'm not sure those are the only two possible options, or even that "having tremendous wealth" is done for a valid point at all, at least when it gets beyond surviving and living comfortably

No I'm sorry he's right: it's either "piss your wealth into the wind" or "starve in a gutter". There is no middle ground. Beep boop ker-chunk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Smith
Feb 26, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Obviously, there is a middle ground as well. In fact the middle ground is the bulk of the spectrum. After all, how many people actually do buy into such nonsense? But a spectrum by its nature will also include indulgent nonsense.

And isn't that the point of a wealthy society? That we can afford to have pursuits that our forefathers would never do? Even silly pursuits. Johnny Deep firing his friend's ashes out of a big-rear end cannon didn't make that much sense either, did it? But his wealth allowed him to do it.