Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Eldragon posted:

I still can't figure out why they even called it the sequel to BG&E. Everything they have shown is so unlike the original game that they may as well call it Assasin's Creed 4: Black Flag 2: in SPAAAAAAAACE.

Because the original game was a hit. And building off an existing successful IP is better than creating a new one. Plus Ubisoft.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Lol CIG IS AHEAD OF THE CURVE

*Gets beaten to the punch by the French*

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
CIG is having (yet another) sale today? I suppose it's fitting that their marketing geniuses decided to have their sale coincide with the Steam Summer Sales.

Then again, it's the same idiots who steadily give their "disposable" income in hopes that their dreams become reality in an impossible game, so I guess they don't care.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
i appreciate the work CIG has done to inspire game creators everywhere simply by letting them know that they could do better

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:

TheAgent posted:

CIG has no idea how hosed they are when they aren't going to be able to deliver pre-purchased ships

this is going to be a huge issue in regards to presales of digital goods

I know they continue to sell these things because they need the money desperately, but it won't end well for them

Tell us how you really feel about 3 day Maya projects being sold at full game price.

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer
Ben Lesnick, Developer

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

big nipples big life posted:

I would toxx on there already being a detailed post about this somewhere.

woah living dangerously there :rolleyes:

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer

Virtual Captain posted:

Tell us how you really feel about 3 day Maya projects being sold at full game price.
I'm pretty sure that's FUD as every ship goes through thousands of man hours of design and concept before being put up for sale

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?
Another sale - loving incredible. Keep buying ships, backers - there will never be a game to play them in.

That's the ultimate irony of Star Citizen: you can see the scam from space, but you can't see space from the scam.

Scruffpuff fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Jun 22, 2017

Space Crabs
Mar 10, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

AbstractNapper posted:

CIG is having (yet another) sale today? I suppose it's fitting that their marketing geniuses decided to have their sale coincide with the Steam Summer Sales.

Then again, it's the same idiots who steadily give their "disposable" income in hopes that their dreams become reality in an impossible game, so I guess they don't care.

What's funny is I made a post during the last steam summer sale that for $100 I got 1,000 hours worth of gameplay while idiots were buying $200 autism chariots.

I'm still working through the games I got last year. Backers still don't have the ships they bought.

It's really a hard choice, do I buy something like shadows of mordor + doom + fallout 4 for $34 or a space bike, that even by the most optimistic calculations, wouldn't be in the game until 2018-2019. hmmmm.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Hey it's sale day!

I can get Strike Suit Zero, South Park Stick of Truth, Torment: Tides Of somethingsomething, and House Of The Dying Sun for a total of $45 today!

Or I can spend it on a picture of a space motorcycle!

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Lazrin posted:

no, fool. it validates everything cig is doing that you said couldn't be done.

drat

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Asking because I legitimately have no interest in going to their site anymore- did any of the other motorcycles that they've sold actually come out? I've never seen a gif of one outside their demos. You'd think that motorcycles would be really easy to crank out what with having no HUD, guns, etc.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
Beyond good and evil wasn't a hit really, it's just got a lot of nerd goodwill and apparently nobody told ubisoft about kickstarter

boviscopophobic
Feb 5, 2016

Sarsapariller posted:

Hey it's sale day!

I can get Strike Suit Zero, South Park Stick of Truth, Torment: Tides Of somethingsomething, and House Of The Dying Sun for a total of $45 today!

Or I can spend it on a picture of a space motorcycle!

Congrats on your new space motorcycle!

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
IIN are ramping things up

http://imperialnews.network/events/

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:
It is really hard to keep up with all these jpegs. Is this bike thingy new or did Chris break "Cash sales only for new concept ships and top tier capital ships" again?

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Sarsapariller posted:

Asking because I legitimately have no interest in going to their site anymore- did any of the other motorcycles that they've sold actually come out? I've never seen a gif of one outside their demos. You'd think that motorcycles would be really easy to crank out what with having no HUD, guns, etc.
there's no where to fuckin drive them and there's no ship docking so no

none of them exist

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

So uh... can you call something classic that hasn't been released yet?

Oh wait, nevermind! It's marketing just pretending the game has been out so long it's now a classic to attract new people into thinking it's complete!

Soon you'll be able to snag up Star Citizen from Home of the Underdogs when it goes abandonware pretty soon! Hyyyyypppe!!!!

Septic Tank Gulag
Jun 19, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Sarsapariller posted:

Did any of the other motorcycles that they've sold actually come out?
I don't think so, but I'd have to download a tech demo ten times the size of Civilization VI to find out so we'll never know for sure.

Sarsapariller posted:

You'd think that motorcycles would be really easy to crank out what with having no HUD, guns, etc.
You'd think.

E:
You av has always been strangely relaxing to me

Septic Tank Gulag fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Jun 22, 2017

Space Crabs
Mar 10, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

TheAgent posted:

there's no where to fuckin drive them and there's no ship docking so no

none of them exist

That doesn't sound right. When I was posting about how they said ships after a certain one (vindicator? who knows anymore) weren't going to be in the game at release so backers couldn't expect them for years, MoMA expertly informed me that he would be in a drake dragonfly by the end of 2016 due to optimized pipelines.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Heh. That looks like my calendar :smug:

wait,

Strangler 42
Jan 8, 2007

SHAVE IT ALL OFF
ALL OF IT

TheAgent posted:

CIG has no idea how hosed they are when they aren't going to be able to deliver pre-purchased ships

this is going to be a huge issue in regards to presales of digital goods

I know they continue to sell these things because they need the money desperately, but it won't end well for them

I still don't understand what will happen when you take cash for presale digital content that you know for a fact you can't deliver. But then they would have to realize that at some point they can't deliver unless they were severely deluded, but is delusion a legitimate legal defense?

Nanako the Narc
Sep 6, 2011

Daztek posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M8IguhQqhAg

BGE2 making GBS threads all over Star Citizen lol.

I already dug the intro trailer at E3, but this looks fantastic. How long has this team had to develop what it took CIG 5 years to wrestle cryengine to barely handle?

quote:

wtf, how?

Aptitude? Basic business management skills? Competent producers keeping the scope reasonable?

Eldragon
Feb 22, 2003

Latin Pheonix posted:

I already dug the intro trailer at E3, but this looks fantastic. How long has this team had to develop what it took CIG 5 years to wrestle cryengine to barely handle?

As good as the game looks, its still a tech demo without a release date.... anyone else getting that creepy deja vu feeling?

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer

hot balls man no homo posted:

I still don't understand what will happen when you take cash for presale digital content that you know for a fact you can't deliver. But then they would have to realize that at some point they can't deliver unless they were severely deluded, but is delusion a legitimate legal defense?
well you'd have to prove they knew they couldn't deliver them, which is pretty hard without emails or recordings of people lighting cuban cigars with $100 bills and laughing about scamming people

so instead they'll just shrug and go BUT WE TRIED REAL HARD GUYS like 100% of other failed businesses and fly off to some euro resort for a much needed vacay and not a single person will give a gently caress

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
the thing it might change is the pre-purchasing of certain digital goods going forward and maybe how companies market such items to their customers

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer

ImAExpertPMMeUrClits makes a strong case

Nanako the Narc
Sep 6, 2011

Eldragon posted:

As good as the game looks, its still a tech demo without a release date.... anyone else getting that creepy deja vu feeling?

Yeah, that's true, but at least this one has the pressure of a publisher breathing down its neck; it'll probably be either finished or binned by Ubisoft. :shrug:

I really shouldn't have hope; it is, after all, the first step on the road to disappointment.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

Beyond good and evil wasn't a hit really, it's just got a lot of nerd goodwill and apparently nobody told ubisoft about kickstarter

Thank you! I don't know why everyone raved about it,honestly.

Eldragon
Feb 22, 2003

Can someone update that bar graph of game development time to include "Beyond Good and Evil 2: 2004-?"

That's 13 years in development. Checkmate goonie.
:goonsay:

Strangler 42
Jan 8, 2007

SHAVE IT ALL OFF
ALL OF IT

TheAgent posted:

well you'd have to prove they knew they couldn't deliver them, which is pretty hard without emails or recordings of people lighting cuban cigars with $100 bills and laughing about scamming people

so instead they'll just shrug and go BUT WE TRIED REAL HARD GUYS like 100% of other failed businesses and fly off to some euro resort for a much needed vacay and not a single person will give a gently caress

Somebody has to know. I just hope that person is disgruntled enough to save everything on a flash drive before they padlock the doors.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Daztek posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M8IguhQqhAg

BGE2 making GBS threads all over Star Citizen lol.

Yeah, but the game has been in development, by an established company, for 14 years.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Star Citizen is actually a platform for text based MMORPG

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

TheAgent posted:

Something tells me there are a few that are there that have done just that very thing and copied everything they could including using their phone in their pocket to record any meetings too.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

hot balls man no homo posted:

For a person, yes. For a company, not really.

well HECK Phil
Feb 25, 2010
Toilet Rascal
I love how every one of the developers of games I liked in the 90's have failed or have had huge backlash from their consumer base. The fact that the same group, namely Garriot, Schaffer, and Croberts, all had huge success with crowdfunding projects, exceeded their initial goals by 10x or more, and still had to turn around and ask for more money.

It'll never not be amusing to reflect on that fact.

BeigeJacket
Jul 21, 2005

Taintrunner posted:

Star Citizen is actually a platform for text based MMORPG

Honestly, if the commandos had even a smidgen of creativity/imagination they could fulfil all of their spaceman fantasies by playing a pen and paper RPG. It's not as if there aren't millions of the things catering for every possible gamer itch.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

BeigeJacket posted:

Honestly, if the commandos had even a smidgen of creativity/imagination they could fulfil all of their spaceman fantasies by playing a pen and paper RPG. It's not as if there aren't millions of the things catering for every possible gamer itch.

Go read some of their fanfiction and tell me if you'd like to sit down for a game with these people

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

well HECK Phil posted:

I love how every one of the developers of games I liked in the 90's have failed or have had huge backlash from their consumer base. The fact that the same group, namely Garriot, Schaffer, and Croberts, all had huge success with crowdfunding projects, exceeded their initial goals by 10x or more, and still had to turn around and ask for more money.

It'll never not be amusing to reflect on that fact.

Still waiting for Will Wright to start a kickstarter for a new SimAnt.