Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

BexGu posted:

Same question about Skyforge. I heard they some how made that game worst?

Skyforge had an NGE. That's almost not an exaggeration.

They pushed out an update that changed everything. Instead of having a complete freeform "sphere grid"-style stat and ability advancement, they removed ALL player choice when it came to your stats and abilities. You used to have a hotbar, with columns of abilities on each button, and you chose which ability you wanted on that button. The update removed that choice, AND it split your abilities between a PvE and PvP hotbar, meaning you simply could not use certain abilities outside or inside the arena.

It was already pretty pay-to-win, but the update CRANKED IT. Before, you had multiple avenues of side ways to improve your character's stats (temples, since you were gods,, for example), that used multiple different currencies and took real time to upgrade. The update removed these entirely and replaced them with ones you could only improve by spending in-game money. Except you can literally buy credits with the cash shop currency, and funnel that directly into these new stat upgrades. So you could straight up buy more stats by opening your wallet.

And to top it off, they shafted everybody who was already playing, because they removed so many avenues of advancement, then gave out far less resources in compensation compared to how much it would cost to get you back to where you were.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Skyforge was a lot of fun when I played it, which was well before they "changed" it. I liked it enough to buy the founder's edition or whatever it was called, so I could play the Alchemist class. It's a shame about what it became; it was very interesting for what it was.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Shut up, Nick! You're not Twilight.

Pierson posted:

. Last time I checked it's now an average F2P MMO with quests and dungeons and a regular exp-based levelling system.

Im pretty sure Red5 missed payroll a few times leading to mass layoffs, then a sell of to a Chinese company and the game is basically on really shoddy life support at this point. Its for all practical purposes dead.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

BexGu posted:

What did ever happen to Firefall? I played it for a while and it seemed like it could be a cool, open-worldish sci-fi game but it had wayyyy to much grinding for me.

Last things I heard about the game itself were that Kern was campaigning on its subreddit for people to abandon the game so the studio would fully go under and he could buy back the rights (they told him to gently caress off), and that the servers went down during a holiday and the one dude managing them couldn't fix it for a few days because he was on vacation.

So a little bit better than Wildstar!

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.
The studio has gone under, there's literally nobody working on it anymore and from what I heard most things are completely broken like players not even able to complete the tutorial broken.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I think Skyforge attracted a playerbase that had fun for awhile but left before long because the endgame was super pointless (by MMO standards). So they majorly changed up the game and now it's just poo poo.

Xarbala posted:

The picture I'm getting is that Mark Kern was an idiot.

And reading the article it reminds me a lot of what's going on behind Star Citizen.

I remember hearing that Kern boasted that they had no real plan for Firefall and were just throwing stuff at the wall and seeing what stuck. Apparently this was something to be proud of?

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004
ONCE YOU POP THE FUN DONT STOP
Skyforge was a pretty cool and fun game for awhile, but the weekly caps got old pretty quick for an old timey poopsocker like me.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....
I actually played a bit of Skyforge before the NGE but I could not get over the grind to unlock new classes to try. I got to one (the Archer) and realized I never want to grind enough to get some of the other classes that might just flat out suck. The NGE was suppose to fix most of that...and then the details came out. I didn't realize it was that bad.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.
I still can't believe they cut orders, that was the one thing that was really good and unique about it. Also that originally mission stopped scaling at some point for no loving reason so the higher you leveled the less things you could do to advance at all and end game was looking for a group for hours to stand around some loving tree that wanted some specific monster killed you had to drag halfway across a loving zone or whatever.

What kills me is that the world was really good and interesting and I would have loved to know more about it but it was all so condensed into the few things you could explore. Wasted potential right there.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Yeah Skyforge took was what a cool, workable concept and piledrived it into the ground. All it needed was some love, but I guess that isn't what makes the money, huh?

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Harrow posted:

Mods, change my name to Hardcore Raiding MMO Wildstar

Also, apparently WoW is super grindy for high-tier raiding right now due to artifact power? I know there were a bunch of WoW YouTubers a couple months ago putting out videos about big raiding guilds all quitting because of how much grinding is required to stay competitive. Anyway what I mean is that it's no surprise ~*~Hardcore Pro Wildstar Players~*~ might like WoW now :v:

It was super grindy last tier, but the new infinite final upgrade has massively diminishing returns, so after you grab the first point of it you're better off working on a second weapon than grinding for another point of Concordance

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Also people who want vanilla wow servers are stupid as hell

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

I recently went through the new Skyforge to see what it was like. I don't know if it's worse, but it's sure not better.

I really hated the old sphere grid system, like a lot of other people said - too much grinding to get to the classes I want to play, only to find that their playstyle is actually weird and bad. The new system is kind of FFXIV-flavored, you just gain XP in a class to unlock its abilities, and switch classes whenever you want. New classes are now unlocked by beating certain story missions, and of course if you happen to want to play Gunner or something, well gently caress you, you're definitely going to have to complete the whole campaign first.

The real problem is the difficulty scaling, though - every fight is totally trivial to cakewalk through until you reach a certain mission in the storyline, when you switch instantly to losing because it turns out you're wildly undergeared. And since there's nothing obvious to point out where to upgrade your gear, you're just kind of out of loving luck at that point.

Bombogenesis
Mar 27, 2010

Mekkatorque 2016
Dinosaur Gum

Harrow posted:

The new expansion is going to have mounts and more elite specs (which is good--expanding the options available to the existing classes instead of increasing the level cap is something I do like about the way GW2 does expansions), but beyond that we don't really know much. If they ever started bringing in decent five-player content again I might want to give the game another look, but as it stands, ArenaNet just isn't interested in the kind of things I'm interested in as a player.

Few days late, but are they doing anything to address stats? Last I played, it was all damage stats all the time unless you were one of two very specific builds that used a taunt. Then it was health/toughness to a point and then damage status. I enjoy GW2 but the fact that ANet hasn't thought of "Oh if you're this spec then toughness default adds to your damage" or something similar is kind of odd to me. Granted I haven't played in over a year now so maybe they've gotten better?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Bombogenesis posted:

Few days late, but are they doing anything to address stats? Last I played, it was all damage stats all the time unless you were one of two very specific builds that used a taunt. Then it was health/toughness to a point and then damage status. I enjoy GW2 but the fact that ANet hasn't thought of "Oh if you're this spec then toughness default adds to your damage" or something similar is kind of odd to me. Granted I haven't played in over a year now so maybe they've gotten better?

It's sort of the same, at least for PvE. Tank builds (which aren't used for every fight but are useful sometimes) use Toughness, and a few specs can benefit a lot from Boon Duration. Condition damage is actually really, really good now, which was definitely not true pre-expansion, so there are a lot of builds that focus on Condition Damage/Duration stats.

In PvP/WvW there's a lot more stat variety and room for a few different types of support roles. Nobody runs glass cannon there, it's just suicide, so you need to balance defensive and offensive stats, or gear for things like healing power and boon duration to help support the rest of your roaming group and/or zerg.

Too Poetic
Nov 28, 2008

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

It was super grindy last tier, but the new infinite final upgrade has massively diminishing returns, so after you grab the first point of it you're better off working on a second weapon than grinding for another point of Concordance
A hardcore WoW raider whos going for world/server firsts isnt going to do that.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011

Holyshoot posted:

RIP wildstar losing their hardcore raiders to wow lmao. Was raiding(recently) in wildstar at the levels of mythic wow raiding. These guys mean business!
As of this writing Invective is in 52th on mythic tomb progress. So much for migrating to swipe some easy world firsts from the casuals.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Asehujiko posted:

As of this writing Invective is in 52th on mythic tomb progress. So much for migrating to swipe some easy world firsts from the casuals.

they're apparently doing terrible and wiped a poo poo load to heroic Kiljaden. Also they have back pedaled to saying they will be contenders to tier 21.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Too Poetic posted:

it was more to help out the not world first guilds who are raiding with idiots who try to mimic world first guilds. They won't be grinding concordance out and shouldn't get bitched out by their GM because its a minuscule gain unless you do it a ton and EVERYONE is doing it.

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

Asehujiko posted:

That's pretty dogshit for a group claiming to take two weeks off just to raid 14 hours a day.

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE

John Dyne posted:

That's pretty dogshit for a group claiming to take two weeks off just to raid 14 hours a day.

i dunno is it really surprising that a group of morons who are dumb enough to raid for 14 hours a day are too stupid to play well

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

RottenK posted:

i dunno is it really surprising that a group of morons who are dumb enough to raid for 14 hours a day are too stupid to play well

method(eu guild) and exhorsus(russian guild) seem to do just fine and they play 14 hours a day.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Holyshoot posted:

method(eu guild) and exhorsus(russian guild) seem to do just fine and they play 14 hours a day.

For 2 weeks? Don't they run out of things to do due to lockouts?

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

hobbesmaster posted:

For 2 weeks? Don't they run out of things to do due to lockouts?

this is when a new raid super hard mode is released. and typically it takes two lockouts to clear the entire instance.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Too Poetic posted:

Except they are because it very quickly becomes not worth it to keep putting points into it, which is intentional since last tier people had to grind because the final trait was really good

like t19 mythic (?) had at least one fight balanced around you having one of your weapons maxed out completely, because it was flat bonus per point in the final trait, Concordance (the new final trait) is not nearly as powerful beyond the first point

BENGHAZI 2 fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Jun 28, 2017

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Holyshoot posted:

it was more to help out the not world first guilds who are raiding with idiots who try to mimic world first guilds. They won't be grinding concordance out and shouldn't get bitched out by their GM because its a minuscule gain unless you do it a ton and EVERYONE is doing it.

also this

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Shut up, Nick! You're not Twilight.

Holyshoot posted:

this is when a new raid super hard mode is released. and typically it takes two lockouts to clear the entire instance.

Yeah but how many 14 hour days can you really put in before you hit a lockout? It seems like sooner rather than later you are going to hit something you arent yet geared enough to clear and start running your head into a wall, and when you are forcing people to play 14 hours a day six days a week that very rapidly leads to a guild wide meltdown. It just seems like a bad idea all around.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

CoffeeBooze posted:

Yeah but how many 14 hour days can you really put in before you hit a lockout? It seems like sooner rather than later you are going to hit something you arent yet geared enough to clear and start running your head into a wall, and when you are forcing people to play 14 hours a day six days a week that very rapidly leads to a guild wide meltdown. It just seems like a bad idea all around.

not sure on this one since I have never raided in one of those guilds, these days they run heroic split raids 7-10 times to make sure everyone of their mythic raiding characters has all the tier and gear they need out of heroic. Since it can war forge to higher ilvs that are the same as mythic or higher its very good to do for them. So gear blocks aren't a thing where they need another week of mythic gear to kill a boss. Usually they just run out of time executing a strat that requires perfect play but is doable with their gear. And next week they have better gear which means bigger room for error I'd imagine.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
The whole point of high-end raiding is that it's barely possible to complete in the previous tier's BiS, but only theoretically. So the race is about figuring out how to complete it using as few pieces of this tier's gear as possible.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

CoffeeBooze posted:

Having been in a guild pushing this sort of content in the past, its less about gear or perfect play because those are expected already by how dicey the mechanics are. Its about redoing the same strategy perfectly until the stars align into the perfect pattern so every single RNG event falls in your favour. Like back in the day with lich king heroic where you kept replaying it until your 3 warlocks got grabbed every valkyr phase for example.

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.

Byolante posted:

Having been in a guild pushing this sort of content in the past, its less about gear or perfect play because those are expected already by how dicey the mechanics are. Its about redoing the same strategy perfectly until the stars align into the perfect pattern so every single RNG event falls in your favour. Like back in the day with lich king heroic where you kept replaying it until your 3 warlocks got grabbed every valkyr phase for example.

That sounds literally insane. I raid in ffxiv and the harshest yet reasonable schedule I could manage is 3 times a week for 3 hours per night. I definitely see fatigue setting in by the end of hour 2 causing sloppy play too.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Eopia posted:

That sounds literally insane. I raid in ffxiv and the harshest yet reasonable schedule I could manage is 3 times a week for 3 hours per night. I definitely see fatigue setting in by the end of hour 2 causing sloppy play too.

Once you get used to it you can probably manage a 3 hour stretch before you need a break to get back into the mindset. The real difficulty is that when one person making one small mistake can ruin your already tiny rng window when it comes up people can get very unhappy with each other very quickly. Add in tiredness and frustration with not getting the right RNG setup 10 pulls in a row and you have a cocktail of the worst nerd rage known to man.

Knightsoul
Dec 19, 2008
All this chatty chat about hardcore raiding, BiS stuff, 14 (!!!) hours a day for raids, etc. only make me love more my HERO.
Let me introduce him to you, I give you a hint:

" LEEEEEEEEEROY JEEEEEEEEEENKINSSSSSSSSSS! " :mrgw:

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Knightsoul posted:

All this chatty chat about hardcore raiding, BiS stuff, 14 (!!!) hours a day for raids, etc. only make me love more my HERO.
Let me introduce him to you, I give you a hint:

" LEEEEEEEEEROY JEEEEEEEEEENKINSSSSSSSSSS! " :mrgw:

So your hero is outdated memes

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

corn in the bible posted:

So your hero is outdated memes

The hero we deserve

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!

:eyepop:

Wildstar was horribly managed, but at least they didn't piss away their money into a luxury bus and irrelevant music videos...

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived

Schubalts posted:

Skyforge had an NGE. That's almost not an exaggeration.

It went full pay to win long before that. I played for a bit and was having a reasonably good time but then they introduced an event that was basically a slot machine that only took the real money currency and if you spent the equivalent of hundreds of euros on it you could get a talent or trait or whatever that increased your base damage and health by 25%. I mean you could convert the ingame currency to the real money currency but was completely impossible to even get the low tier rewards without spending real money on it due to the exchange rate, which was of course inflated massively by bots.

gently caress that game haha

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage
Watch me try to laugh this title off like the dickbag I am.

I also hang out with racists.

Eopia posted:

Wow guilds as a whole raid far less than they used to. When I was a serious raider 5ish years ago, our schedule of 3 days a week, 4 hours a night was considered light for being ranked double digits in the US. Nowadays it's above average.

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

It's a good change. I love MMOs and I play them a lot, but I mean, I'm also an adult with a house and a job. I can't play like I did in high school. These more casual schedules are much more friendly to players who aren't in their teens still.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Raid design has come a huge long way not just in complexity/intuitiveness but in how you can approach it, it rules.

• Locked thread