Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

evilweasel posted:

It only counters abilities if you cycle, not if you play the card. The card is basically a split card where it's 2U: counter target activated or triggered ability, draw a card // 2U: 3/1 flier you can flash out.

It's probably a fringe SB card like Hushwing Gryff was.

the Orb of Zot posted:

I don't see this seeing standard play; Griselbrand was unfathomably stronger and still only was playable in Standard due to the presence of an incredible reanimation spell, and the cost for the tutor means you aren't even drawing cards off of it.

I am also disappointed that you can't even sacrifice it to itself for the tutor effect if needed.

Even if you could cheat it out with Marvel it would probably still not be played in standard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

This set is too much.
I now also want to build The Scarab God.

That's a mill deck for sure.

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008

mcmagic posted:

It's probably a fringe SB card like Hushwing Gryff was.

I mean they printed this and disallow to have more ways to interact with Marvel/energy, which seems flawed anyway since blue was the one color that was able to keep Marvel from landing. Oh and its banned. Its a weird card because the type of deck willing to hold up the mana to stifle probably wants disallow more than a 3/1 flash, but I guess that could change.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

the Orb of Zot posted:

I don't see this seeing standard play; Griselbrand was unfathomably stronger and still only was playable in Standard due to the presence of an incredible reanimation spell

also that dude that made black mana equal to your devotion to black

Typhus733
Aug 30, 2008

evilweasel posted:

It only counters abilities if you cycle, not if you play the card. The card is basically a split card where it's 2U: counter target activated or triggered ability, draw a card // 2U: 3/1 flier you can flash out.

Yeah, my bad, I read that as an etb not at part of cycling. It's definitely way less of splashy then.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Johnny Five-Jaces posted:

also that dude that made black mana equal to your devotion to black

Nykthos was a land; you may be thinking of Crypt Ghast which just added B to all the mana your swamp-typed lands produced.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Mikujin posted:

Nykthos was a land; you may be thinking of Crypt Ghast which just added B to all the mana your swamp-typed lands produced.

Also devotion (in any form) wasn't in Standard at the same time as Griselbrand, I'm pretty sure.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

JerryLee posted:

Also devotion (in any form) wasn't in Standard at the same time as Griselbrand, I'm pretty sure.

Yeah, super-standard only included one-month of core set overlaps, not expert level sets.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

I like this set. Sphinx lord is cool. Gods are cool.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Mikujin posted:

yeah im thinking of crypt ghast

Alris
Apr 20, 2007

Welcome to the Fantasy Zone!

Get ready!
The only one of Liliana's demons we're missing now is Belzenlok, right?

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you
I think nimble obstructionist is a really good card.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

uggy posted:

I think nimble obstructionist is a really good card.

Same, I think there might be a place for it in Modern.

What are some really problematic activated/triggered abilities beyond fetchlands?

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

TheKingofSprings posted:

What are some really problematic activated/triggered abilities beyond fetchlands?

Are ETBs triggered effects? If so, there's some cool stuff you can do with that. Like stop a Snapcaster/Gearhulk trigger, for instance.

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS
Holy poo poo everyone on XMage is playing that stupid White Weenie Oketra's Monument deck.

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

TheMaestroso posted:

Are ETBs triggered effects? If so, there's some cool stuff you can do with that. Like stop a Snapcaster/Gearhulk trigger, for instance.

Yup, that works. I feel like 3 mana is too much for this to be useful in Modern, though (and I don't think the split card of being a 3/1 flash flyer for 3 is enough for it to see play). It kind of occupies the same space as Vendilion Clique, as a medium costed mild disruption/flying clock, but it can't do both at the same time, and just seems worse overall.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

TheKingofSprings posted:

You can use it to interfere with planeswalker abilities right? Or even like an Emrakul mindslaver ability.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Guys its a counterspell for relic and other activated gravehate for Living End.

Just run a watery grave I dunno.

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
side of the cyberpocalypse

Alris posted:

The only one of Liliana's demons we're missing now is Belzenlok, right?
Wait, who?

Aaaand after googling apparently he's This anime-looking dork

And he was in Magic Duels? Apparently? All I know is that I hate him, for reasons I can't quite define. It's official, the only one of Liliana's demon masters to be any kind of cool was Griselbrand, and that's probably because he never once spoke.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Count Bleck posted:

Guys its a counterspell for relic and other activated gravehate for Living End.

Just run a watery grave I dunno.

Alot of Living End decks now are really moving into the 4-5 color spectrum to play the Blue Scrying flier and Ardent Plea.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Veyrall posted:

And he was in Magic Duels? Apparently? All I know is that I hate him, for reasons I can't quite define. It's official, the only one of Liliana's demon masters to be any kind of cool was Griselbrand, and that's probably because he never once spoke.
Well, he certainly never wrote anything, but I'm pretty sure he had lines of dialogue when Lili killed him.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

GoutPatrol posted:

Alot of Living End decks now are really moving into the 4-5 color spectrum to play the Blue Scrying flier and Ardent Plea.

And thus, we have a deck for everyone in modern, the perfect format.

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Every time I see Goatse, I think of Maureen. That's the last thing I saw. Before I blacked out. The sight of that man's anus.

Razaketh is totally going in my Meren EDH deck.

do u believe in marigolds
Sep 13, 2007

Retromancer posted:

Razaketh is totally going in my Meren EDH deck.

Chainer for me.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

I probably put it in Ayli.

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer
So is U/R Emerge more favored now that Marvel is gone. It seems pretty good against G/B and Mardu, but Temur Energy negating a cathartic reunion seems brutal.

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Every time I see Goatse, I think of Maureen. That's the last thing I saw. Before I blacked out. The sight of that man's anus.

DangerDongs posted:

So is U/R Emerge more favored now that Marvel is gone. It seems pretty good against G/B and Mardu, but Temur Energy negating a cathartic reunion seems brutal.

Having a good colorless graveyard hoser in standard seems to wreck the deck.

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Retromancer posted:

Having a good colorless graveyard hoser in standard seems to wreck the deck.

If the deck draws enough hate to warrant sideboard slots for graveyard hate, and it is an artifact right? The deck could always side in artifact removal if they have it.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

DangerDongs posted:

I think the energy decks are favored in the matchup now. Especially with all the new GY hate.

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I guess I wasted some money on picking up some uncommons for it. I kind of bought some remaining peaces, because I figured Prized Amalgams and Kozilek's Returns were cheap now and used in Modern, so it isn't a total wash.

Edit: Some one validate me on my purchase, awh gawhd

DangerDongs fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Jun 23, 2017

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

DangerDongs posted:

I guess I wasted some money on picking up some uncommons for it. I kind of bought some remaining peaces, because I figured Prized Amalgams and Kozilek's Returns were cheap now and used in Modern, so it isn't a total wash.

You spent real money on pieces of cardboard. The time for responsible spending was years ago.

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer

A big flaming stink posted:

You spent real money on pieces of cardboard. The time for responsible spending was years ago.

Me making money for Magics

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kfchvCyHmsc

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

DangerDongs posted:

The deck is still played by fukkking nobody so don't expect a lot of graveyard hate. Unless the deck gains wildly in popularity you'll probably be fine. I also built Jund gods for super cheap as a backup. Get on these, that is my advice.

Edit: in emerge, every card That's not fevered visions or a common/uncommon is played in other formats, so don't worry about it.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I was told today that someone who went to GP Las Vegas bought a sealed booster box of Beta for something like $44,000 and one of the few known sealed copies of an Alpha starter deck and their seals were broken by TSA at the airport.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

Mezzanon posted:

The deck is still played by fukkking nobody so don't expect a lot of graveyard hate. Unless the deck gains wildly in popularity you'll probably be fine. I also built Jund gods for super cheap as a backup. Get on these, that is my advice.

Edit: in emerge, every card That's not fevered visions or a common/uncommon is played in other formats, so don't worry about it.

Do you have a list for Jund Gods?

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Star Man posted:

I was told today that someone who went to GP Las Vegas bought a sealed booster box of Beta for something like $44,000 and one of the few known sealed copies of an Alpha starter deck and their seals were broken by TSA at the airport.

Now that is comedy gold.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

Star Man posted:

:fireman:

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Star Man posted:

shoulda carried it on with him

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
unless he did and tsa broke them open right in front of him, now that would be hilarious

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

ManMythLegend posted:

Do you have a list for Jund Gods?

Yeah I do I'm 12-0 right now on Wednesday night standards, which is just adding to me going infinite at my FLGS

Creatures
4 Greenbelt Rampager
2 Longtusk Cub
4 Scrapheap Scrounger
4 Voltaic Brawler
3 Rhonas the Indomitable
2 Bristling Hydra
3 Hazoret the Fervent
2 Glorybringer

Spells
4 Attune with Aether
2 Blossoming Defense
3 Fatal Push
3 Unlicensed Disintegration

Artifacts
2 Heart of Kiran
1 Aethersphere harvester (eeeeehhhhh)

Lands
3 Aether Hub
4 Blooming Marsh
4 Forest
4 Game Trail
3 Mountain
2 Sheltered Thicket (should be 1 thicket and 4 aether hub)
1 Swamp

Sideboard

4 Transgress the Mind
2 Dispossess
1 Manglehorn (should be 2)
2 Prowling Serpopard
3 Release the Gremlins (needs to be changed)
1 Nissa, Vital Force
1 Ob Nixilis Reignited
1 Skysovereign Consul Flagship
75 Cards Total