Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Yeah the KOTFE and KOTET storylines make the most sense if you're a Sith Warrior or Jedi Knight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrunkenGarbageCan
Nov 4, 2009

Medullah posted:

NO WAITING A MONTH WITH NO LUCK FOR THIS GUY

Haha last time I spent tens of millions to get the rancor and literally got it the day before the event ended.

This time I got the Gamorrean Bodyguard on my third Kingpin spin. I had set up my macro and was getting up to get a drink when the jackpot went off before I even stood up. :toot:

Stan S. Stanman
Nov 18, 2009
So I'm thinking about playing some SWTOR again after I get an ultrawide monitor this week. Been in a Star Wars mood. I haven't played since I got annoyed at that first kotfe or whatever expansion of kill those robot nights over and over again in long hallway and watch cutscene.

But I think I want to get back to my sith jugg and/or maybe start a marauder again. What's the current cost to transfer servers? Also, I was space rich when I quit but in guessing I'll be space poor now with inflation? I was sitting around 50 mil credits at the time.

How hard is it going to be to get geared up to a respectable level again?

Panama Red
Jul 30, 2003

Only in America could you find a way to earn a healthy buck and still keep your attitude on self destruct
Been looking for a good F2P MMO with an emphasis on PVE and the consensus seems to be SWTOR is the best for having the MMO experience without having to talk to other people.

I used the referral in the OP and am downloading the game now. I'm interested in the Bounty Hunter/Mercenary and Consular/Sage classes. I know there's an active goon guild for Imperial characters, but is the Republic Goon Squad still active?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Panama Red posted:

Been looking for a good F2P MMO with an emphasis on PVE and the consensus seems to be SWTOR is the best for having the MMO experience without having to talk to other people.

I used the referral in the OP and am downloading the game now. I'm interested in the Bounty Hunter/Mercenary and Consular/Sage classes. I know there's an active goon guild for Imperial characters, but is the Republic Goon Squad still active?

Both guilds aren't real active now - if you're looking to do group activity I'd unfortunately recommend finding a big guild to join. As of right now we mostly just chat in Discord, usually only 2-4 people in game at any time.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
I just joined the Imperial side guild after not having played this game in over 5 years

This might be a dumb question but do guilds actually *do* anything other than give you a chat room in game that I'm missing something other than people to group with if I'm not in a big one?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Big guilds will generally raid together, do PvP together, etc. Sadly our guild just hasn't had the people or interest in doing any endgame activity together in years

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

There's an xp bonus and stuff too isn't there?

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
I'm mostly just playing for the single player story modes of the different classes, so if the only thing a big guild does is give me people to group with for pvp and raids then I don't think I give a poo poo

It's amazing how much smoother the leveling experience is now versus when I played this when it first came out. Those heroic missions giving you teleporters to different areas and being able to actually really easily solo those 2+ missions is awesome. I've been enjoying my first 28 levels so far

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram

kumba posted:

I'm mostly just playing for the single player story modes of the different classes, so if the only thing a big guild does is give me people to group with for pvp and raids then I don't think I give a poo poo

It's amazing how much smoother the leveling experience is now versus when I played this when it first came out. Those heroic missions giving you teleporters to different areas and being able to actually really easily solo those 2+ missions is awesome. I've been enjoying my first 28 levels so far

That's pretty much why I came back to the game. I enjoyed the Star Warsey goodness and the different class stories, but just couldn't take the grinding when it came out.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah I'm the kind of person that played wow for years and years and I've played most of the bigger MMOs that have existed over the years, and I couldn't even bring myself to make it to the level cap when this game first came out. I think I gave up at 43 or 44 or something after what felt like way too long

Getting to 28 in a matter of days while also goofing off is pretty cool

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Ainsley McTree posted:

There's an xp bonus and stuff too isn't there?

Yeah, last I checked we still have the full XP and reputation bonuses.

Aleth
Aug 2, 2008

Pillbug
There's also the guild ship for easy fast travel and access to banks & GTN, plus access to the Conquest system.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Aleth posted:

There's also the guild ship for easy fast travel and access to banks & GTN, plus access to the Conquest system.

And sexy dancers

Panama Red
Jul 30, 2003

Only in America could you find a way to earn a healthy buck and still keep your attitude on self destruct
If folks want to add me as a friend, my account name is NeimanMarxist. I have a BH Mercenary on Jedi Covenant named Hindrik and a Jedi Knight Guardian on Ebon Hawk named Ginnosuke.

I'm a little bummed about the restrictions on species as well as the credit cap for F2P players. I'm thinking about finishing the story content for my characters and if I like the game, paying for the expansions and getting preferred status. Between that and getting unlocks off the GTN I should have most of the restrictions removed.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

Panama Red posted:

If folks want to add me as a friend, my account name is NeimanMarxist. I have a BH Mercenary on Jedi Covenant named Hindrik and a Jedi Knight Guardian on Ebon Hawk named Ginnosuke.

I'm a little bummed about the restrictions on species as well as the credit cap for F2P players. I'm thinking about finishing the story content for my characters and if I like the game, paying for the expansions and getting preferred status. Between that and getting unlocks off the GTN I should have most of the restrictions removed.

If you're going to do that don't buy the expansions, but just sub for a month and cancel. That will unlock all the content up to 70 for a slice of the price.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Skinty McEdger posted:

If you're going to do that don't buy the expansions, but just sub for a month and cancel. That will unlock all the content up to 70 for a slice of the price.

The good news is you can no longer buy the expansions directly from the SWTOR site (only took 2 years for them to remove the option).

Panama Red, I would highly recommend subbing to truly enjoy the game, even if it's just a one time thing. One really good package is from Amazon, the Knights of the Eternal Throne Bundle which gets you 90 days sub along with some extra cartel coins and a free mount. A cheaper option which gives you less extra coins and 2 months subscription is the Origin Bundle.

Either way, you'll own all content released up until the day your sub ends, and you'll go into Preferred status which is far less draconian than F2P.

Panama Red
Jul 30, 2003

I really do appreciate the advice. I am, however, a bit strapped for cash at the moment, which is why I canceled my WoW subscription and went looking for a decent F2P PVE-focused MMO. We'll see how I feel about dropping $40, $30 or just $15 for a month-long sub when I get a character to 50. In honesty, though, I'll probably do the month-long sub (if anything) since I've never played an MMO so much that it felt worth it to invest a lot of money into it (another reason I quit WoW).

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Panama Red posted:

I really do appreciate the advice. I am, however, a bit strapped for cash at the moment, which is why I canceled my WoW subscription and went looking for a decent F2P PVE-focused MMO. We'll see how I feel about dropping $40, $30 or just $15 for a month-long sub when I get a character to 50. In honesty, though, I'll probably do the month-long sub (if anything) since I've never played an MMO so much that it felt worth it to invest a lot of money into it (another reason I quit WoW).

Well there's certainly a lot to do as a straight F2P (all 8 class stories), you just have to deal with some pain in the rear end QOL issues (lack of quickbars, customization options, etc)

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Nerfs to Sorc healing

I sense a lot of Sorcs and Sages screaming in anger right now.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

lol wow way to gently caress over the one thing my sage can do.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

Medullah posted:

Nerfs to Sorc healing

I sense a lot of Sorcs and Sages screaming in anger right now.

Ah good, no need for me to come back and try any group content they added recently.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Kaysette posted:

Ah good, no need for me to come back and try any group content they added recently.

Eltoasto posted:

lol wow way to gently caress over the one thing my sage can do.

This is only going to affect PvE a tiny little bit. Just means Sorcs have to watch their Force a little bit, most don't even have to use Dark Infusion right now.

It's a big hit to Sorcs to bring them a bit more in line with the other healing classes so they aren't invincible.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

No, every single part of the rotation is getting hurt, 25% nerf to wandering mend is terrible, it's the only significant aoe a sage has, and even then it's a pseudo-aoe. 10% to trance makes it much less effective, and it seems like they just want the class to be benevolence/deliverance spam, which takes away all mobility. Making it a tank healer, but also one that has to reduce or stop all it's healing to regen force, hurts it real bad. Hey tank, I need you to stop taking damage for 7 gcd's so i can do a weak trance channel and then mash the regen button 4 times. Maybe your group doesn't have to use regen if you heavily outgear the content, but I sure as hell used it a lot for the group i was in.

DrunkenGarbageCan
Nov 4, 2009

Medullah posted:

This is only going to affect PvE a tiny little bit. Just means Sorcs have to watch their Force a little bit, most don't even have to use Dark Infusion right now.

It's a big hit to Sorcs to bring them a bit more in line with the other healing classes so they aren't invincible.

This is a pretty severe survivability nerf to DPS Sorc's as well who were already worthless in both PvE and PvP, what comes below "worthless"? In PvP this is going to make healing Sorc's a free lunch to Maras and Snipers. There won't be any reason to queue as any of the three heal specs (outside of flavor choices) unless you know you're going to have a competent Guard or peels.

At least they're putting these changes on the PTS to check out...oh wait. Well at least if they're too much BW has a history of quickly responding...oh wait.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

DrunkenGarbageCan posted:

This is a pretty severe survivability nerf to DPS Sorc's as well who were already worthless in both PvE and PvP, what comes below "worthless"? In PvP this is going to make healing Sorc's a free lunch to Maras and Snipers. There won't be any reason to queue as any of the three heal specs (outside of flavor choices) unless you know you're going to have a competent Guard or peels.

At least they're putting these changes on the PTS to check out...oh wait. Well at least if they're too much BW has a history of quickly responding...oh wait.

Remember though, these are the changes to Corruption sorcs. They haven't announced what the DPS Sorc changes are going to be yet - and they DID say that they were underperforming. So we'll have to see if they balance out.

Stan S. Stanman
Nov 18, 2009
Are sents/maras good now? When I stopped playing they had fallen out of favor since males dps was pretty hamstrung in pve ops compared to my gunslinger. Always liked my sentinel though.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Stan S. Stanman posted:

Are sents/maras good now? When I stopped playing they had fallen out of favor since males dps was pretty hamstrung in pve ops compared to my gunslinger. Always liked my sentinel though.

They're the same as they always have been, excellent DPS with the tradeoff of being melee so it's a bit trickier to get in and you have to move more.

About the only real major change is in 5.0 they removed channeled abilities so Ravage/Blade Dance became an instant move that you can do while moving.

DrunkenGarbageCan
Nov 4, 2009

Medullah posted:

Remember though, these are the changes to Corruption sorcs. They haven't announced what the DPS Sorc changes are going to be yet - and they DID say that they were underperforming. So we'll have to see if they balance out.

They've already said no Lightning changes in the near future and there's not much they can do about Madness in PvP without changing Utilities and Utility changes are still 3-6 months away. More DPS (especially if it's fluffy DoT DPS) doesn't matter if you're still the number 1 target in both 8v8 and 4v4 with the same TTK. If they're going to make these Corruption changes they need to revert Corrupted Barrier back to it's 4.0 values.

I do have a full 248 Force Master set just in case though.

Sent/Mara in both PvE and PvP have the highest DPS ceiling but the highest skill floor as well.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Who said pigs can't be sexy.

Medullah fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Jun 27, 2017

Airspace
Nov 5, 2010
Hmm... do Free-To-Play characters have zero ways to chat?

I'm trying to get a friend to play but an inability to communicate is hampering my ability to do so.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Airspace posted:

Hmm... do Free-To-Play characters have zero ways to chat?

I'm trying to get a friend to play but an inability to communicate is hampering my ability to do so.

I think you get access to General chat at level 25. It's a safeguard they put in to reduce gold seller spam, but it's not too effective. I'd recommend just talking in Discord with him (feel free to invite him to ours linked in the OP)

Airspace
Nov 5, 2010

Medullah posted:

I think you get access to General chat at level 25. It's a safeguard they put in to reduce gold seller spam, but it's not too effective.

Thanks. I was wondering why gold spammers flood my mailbox, and now I know.

Medullah posted:

I'd recommend just talking in Discord with him (feel free to invite him to ours linked in the OP)

That would require me to be on it first, a ha ha ha.

(I should join the goon guilds eventually though)

DrunkenGarbageCan
Nov 4, 2009
loving lol at the Madness changes, ~2% DPS increase. It's now official having 2 Sorc DPS in your group means you won't be able to hit minimum DPS requirements in NiM Ops. Lightning and Madness were in a head-to-head competition for worst DPS spec in PvP and both effectively got nerfed when you include the healing nerfs. The combat team doesn't seem to understand the meta of their own game.

Making all 3 specs of the most popular class nonviable for high-end PvE or PvP doesn't seem like a smart way to retain subs.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009
Hey thread I used to play a lightning sorcerer and I enjoy pvp, what's changed since

Making all 3 specs of the most popular class nonviable for high-end PvE or PvP doesn't seem like a smart way to retain subs.

oh. Uh, well are there any new warzones since KOTET at least?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

loving lol at the Madness changes, ~2% DPS increase. It's now official having 2 Sorc DPS in your group means you won't be able to hit minimum DPS requirements in NiM Ops. Lightning and Madness were in a head-to-head competition for worst DPS spec in PvP and both effectively got nerfed when you include the healing nerfs. The combat team doesn't seem to understand the meta of their own game.

Yeah it's pretty crappy. Though to be fair, Madness was the most OP PvP class in 4.0, so we're paying the price now.

I do have faith in the new producer though that he'll consider changes once the updates go in and DPS is still piss poor.

Virulence got the bat pretty hard too.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

TGLT posted:

Hey thread I used to play a lightning sorcerer and I enjoy pvp, what's changed since

oh. Uh, well are there any new warzones since KOTET at least?

Well the good news is Lightning is just as lovely as they've been for the last 2 years for endgame.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Medullah posted:

Well the good news is Lightning is just as lovely as they've been for the last 2 years for endgame.

So is that a no to new warzones since the Odessen one?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

TGLT posted:

So is that a no to new warzones since the Odessen one?

Nope

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrunkenGarbageCan
Nov 4, 2009

Medullah posted:

Yeah it's pretty crappy. Though to be fair, Madness was the most OP PvP class in 4.0, so we're paying the price now.

I do have faith in the new producer though that he'll consider changes once the updates go in and DPS is still piss poor.

Virulence got the bat pretty hard too.

The bad thing about more changes is that your looking at a ~4 month turnaround time. Every AC has been retardedly OP at one time or another so that's no excuse. I'm mainly mad because all 3 specs are getting nerfed...the whole class is getting hammered.

What Madness needs in addition to what's already been provided:
  • Get rid of the non-Corruption healing changes.
  • Change Deathmark to guarantee that the caster gets the benefit. Probably just have Deathmark affect the target for 15 seconds and keep the damage bonus of Force Horror at 10%.
  • Change Lightning Barrage to decrease the Force cost and damage of Force Lightning by 20% and the channeling time by 33%.
  • Change Force Mobility to affect Force Lightning rather than Force Leech.
  • Revert the Enduring Bastion scaling on Corrupted Barrier back to 8%.

Also I do not care about Sniper changes because Sniper is the only AC I never have and never will play seriously. :colbert:

• Locked thread