Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Red Alert 3 is extremely good and five dollars

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Hopper posted:

Weird there are several games I would have sworn have been cheaper before...

apparently binding of isaac was on sale for cheaper last week

Junior Jr.
Oct 4, 2014

by sebmojo
Buglord
Quick question, is Hollow Knight just a ripoff of Shovel Knight?

Another quick question, is Shovel Knight cheaper and should I pick that up instead?

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

no, get both

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Awesome! posted:

bethesda is the 2nd newest. rogue one was the latest

And Rogue 1 is 50%(!!!) off

Junior Jr. posted:

I guess I might bite the bullet and pick up the rogue one table, not sure about the bethesda pack though.

Paranormal is one of my favourite tables, probably because it's easy to get to the mansion backglass minigame and get a bunch of extra balls and millions of points.
Friend me on steam and I will send you the South Park table (or a 75¢ table of your choice, but seriously, that butters table is amazing)

dad on the rag
Apr 25, 2010
Has anybody played Sorcery! on both Android and PC? I am wondering if they are better played on the phone or the PC.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Junior Jr. posted:

Quick question, is Hollow Knight just a ripoff of Shovel Knight?

Another quick question, is Shovel Knight cheaper and should I pick that up instead?
Nopem not at all.

Hollow Knight is cheaper @ $10 and it's real good. It's more of a beautiful (and sad) metroidvania and easily top 3. Must have

Shovel Knight is real good too but it's more like an NES action-platformer while actually looking drat good. It's $20 for the Treasure Trove (worth it imo) edition but I feel HK was the most standout mind-blowingly good game in terms of something that I'll fondly remember many years later.

e: In case it wasn't clear, get both. Very different games and both excellent. If you're scrounging for dimes in the couch right now, just get HK and get SK some other sale.

Xaris fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Jun 22, 2017

Junior Jr.
Oct 4, 2014

by sebmojo
Buglord

Dr. Angela Ziegler posted:

Friend me on steam and I will send you the South Park table (or a 75¢ table of your choice, but seriously, that butters table is amazing)

If you can get me the Rogue One table, that'd be great.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
Hollow Knight is Metroid, Shovel Knight is megaman.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof

Can I play Prey on easy so I can actually beat the game and enjoy it? Difficult games make no sense to me, no other media/art in the world does that. There's no "you can't look at the bottom half of the Mona Lisa until you beat this nearby ring-toss carnival game"

That's a loving lie. Books, movies, art, etc are hard to parse all the time rofl

Dial A For Awesome
May 23, 2009

PantsBandit posted:

Meant to post this here and accidentally posted it in the general thread. Whoops!

How's Wildlands for coop? Is it entertaining enough to be worth $40 if I'm just looking for something to play while I shoot the poo poo with one or two buds?

I really enjoyed co-op GR:Wildlands with a friend. We sank over 100 hours into it on max difficulty pretending to be sneaky elite soldiers (plus a bit of messing around in the open world). We found the core gameplay loop pretty hypnotic. That said, the reviews were mixed and it is much less engaging if you're playing solo. I paid full price and don't regret it at all but YMMV.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Junior Jr. posted:

If you can get me the Rogue One table, that'd be great.

Sent you some goon pinball. Enjoy and try and keep up w/ my high score!

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

veedubfreak posted:

Just curious but what was being abused by refunds that made them take it out? I mean I'm perfectly fine with not having to be online at the right moment to get a game for it's lowest price.

It was notoriously common for people to buy games early in the sale for the sale-long price, then get angry that they could have saved 6 extra dollars if they waited until the game became a daily/flash.

When they added refunds a couple of years ago, I think they just anticipated that this would lead to tons and tons of refunds. As a previous poster said, it seems like it would have been trivial to prevent rebuying a game you just refunded or block refunds entirely for discounted games, but I'm not Valve.

Hopper posted:

Weird there are several games I would have sworn have been cheaper before...

It's not weird. A lot of publishers are cool with their game being 75-90% off for 1 day/8 hours, but not 2 weeks. Which is why a lot of us are grumbling.

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.
This isn't exactly related to the Steam sale, but if you're adding games to your cart and budgeting like me, it's worth noting: The Diablo 3 Necromancer DLC comes out next week for $15. I had no clue.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

KyloWinter posted:

That's a loving lie. Books, movies, art, etc are hard to parse all the time rofl

Hard to parse is not the same as literally requiring you to complete a task to experience it in full.

Corin Tucker's Stalker posted:

This isn't exactly related to the Steam sale, but if you're adding games to your cart and budgeting like me, it's worth noting: The Diablo 3 Necromancer DLC comes out next week for $15. I had no clue.
they're loving charging for it? After getting rid of the RMAH where I could fleece rubes with clever arbitrage opportunities? loving hell.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Dial A For Awesome posted:

I really enjoyed co-op GR:Wildlands with a friend. We sank over 100 hours into it on max difficulty pretending to be sneaky elite soldiers (plus a bit of messing around in the open world). We found the core gameplay loop pretty hypnotic. That said, the reviews were mixed and it is much less engaging if you're playing solo. I paid full price and don't regret it at all but YMMV.

I'm gonna second this. Its pretty fun coop
You can either play it on normal if you just wanna gently caress around, or on harder difficulties for TACTICS

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

dad on the rag posted:

Has anybody played Sorcery! on both Android and PC? I am wondering if they are better played on the phone or the PC.

About the same? Although I played one of them on a fire tablet, not a phone, and I'm inclined to say that the smaller screen would be kinda bad.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

they're loving charging for it? After getting rid of the RMAH where I could fleece rubes with clever arbitrage opportunities? loving hell.

the price is stupid (i dont even really play it anymore but i might have checked out the necro if it was like $5) but the rmah was the worst thing in the world

Klisejo
Apr 13, 2006

Who else see da' Leprechaun say YEAH!

Hard to parse is not the same as literally requiring you to complete a task to experience it in full.

You have to learn how to read in order to read books, and then you have to actually read the book.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

I will say that I really like the Steam Discovery Queue. I've been wanting to find more and more cool, weirder indy stuff you don't really hear about unless it's something truly special. And that thing does help.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

BigRed0427 posted:

I will say that I really like the Steam Discovery Queue. I've been wanting to find more and more cool, weirder indy stuff you don't really hear about unless it's something truly special.

Mine is full of garbage that never goes away because 'similar to games you play' apparently means 'HAVE YOU SEEN FALLOUT 3??????' and one billion early access games.

I loving own Fallout 3 even!

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

you know you can filter out early access titles from your discovery queue along with any tags you dont like.

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008
Any opinions on Steamworld Heist?

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Avasculous posted:

Any opinions on Steamworld Heist?

It's very good

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Awesome! posted:

the price is stupid (i dont even really play it anymore but i might have checked out the necro if it was like $5) but the rmah was the worst thing in the world

the RMAH was great because I understood how to leverage gold into money and paid for beer by AH flipping, and when I got tired of the NYSE floor-trading game Blizzard put out, then I could go click on demons and have with the pack-in for the RMAH, Diablo III

I think Diablo and RoS combined cost me negative 50 bucks or so, before the RMAH closed.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

yes, some people made money on the rmah. that doesnt change the fact that it was terrible for the game

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Samuringa posted:

Atelier Sophie: The Alchemist of the Mysterious Book - I've always wanted to play an Atelier game but I've heard some of them have very strict time limits or are just plain unfun. I got high tolerance to anime so that's not a problem here. Of all the games on this list this is the one I'm the most wary.

Good news: Atelier Sophie and Firis don't have the time management mechanics (Sophie has one missable event you have to do before the final boss and it's pretty obvious.) They're far from the best of the series but they're fun enough.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

I really love the Myst series and have many fond memories. Is Obduction at $20 at all worth it?

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Corin Tucker's Stalker posted:

Awesome. I swear I looked around two weeks ago and couldn't find a release date anywhere. I am apparently going to break the hell out of my "two to three games per sale to avoid a backlog" rule.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
I sort of like roguelikes (Shiren the wanderer on the DS for example) for the occasional play and was thinking of getting Swords of the Stars The Pit. I am confused however, there is a gold edition and a bundle that has the gold edition and more dlc. Which one should I get?

And what other good roguelikes are there? (I prefer good graphics, nothing with Ascii code like minimalist stuff, that's just not appealing to me)

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Hopper posted:

I sort of like roguelikes (Shiren the wanderer on the DS for example) for the occasional play and was thinking of getting Swords of the Stars The Pit. I am confused however, there is a gold edition and a bundle that has the gold edition and more dlc. Which one should I get?

And what other good roguelikes are there? (I prefer good graphics, nothing with Ascii code like minimalist stuff, that's just not appealing to me)

the pit is garbage stay away

check out dungeonmans, tales of maj'eyal (can play for free on their website), sproggiwood, and caves of qud

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

kazil posted:

I really love the Myst series and have many fond memories. Is Obduction at $20 at all worth it?

It is. Just be warned it's got some weird loading zones that will annoy unless you have a fairly fast machine and/or an SSD.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Man you should've just made the title of this thread Summer Sales 2017: THERE ARE NO DAILY DEALS, BUY BUY BUY

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Hopper posted:

Others I would have mentioned have already been listed, but keep an eye on this in the future: http://store.steampowered.com/app/625960/Stoneshard/

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
I heartily recommend Prey. It's not flawless, but probably my favorite game of the last few years because of what it does do right. Here's a recommendation I wrote in another thread

Why Play Prey? Because of:
    "The exploration, the consistent believable world, the intertwined stories the crew and their pasts tell. The freedom you have in approaching problems, and the freedom in pursuing, ignoring and discovering those problems. The fact that it rewards original thinking, meticulous investigation, and connecting those sometimes obscure dots.

The game gives you some tools of interaction and invites you to take on its world as you choose. And that promise feels far more genuine than most games in recent memory."

Btw, enemies don't respawn until you leave a part of the space station, where you'll usually spend a few hours before moving on. And they don't respawn automatically; usually you'll have to move the plot forward for that to occur (later things get more hectic).

Can I play Prey on easy so I can actually beat the game and enjoy it? Difficult games make no sense to me, no other media/art in the world does that. There's no "you can't look at the bottom half of the Mona Lisa until you beat this nearby ring-toss carnival game"

I think so. It's got a lot of quieter moments -- think Gone Home -- and you can set the pace yourself. Some people like dealing with most of the enemies first before setting out exploring every nook and cranny of each level (which the game rewards, sometimes materially sometimes sentimentally). One of the reasons I really liked this game is that enemies are more of a deterrent that make you think about how you manage your resources rather than the object of fun.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Hopper posted:

Rogue Legacy is the very best Roguelike there is, and isn't brutally over-punishingly hard. Just remember: there is no time limit for each room.

Harminoff posted:

Man you should've just made the title of this thread Summer Sales 2017: THERE ARE NO DAILY DEALS, BUY BUY BUY
Unironically this. Or just probate every who asks about daily deals until the sale is over.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

kazil posted:

Obduction is totally in the vein of myst in that it is an extremely unique setting that you will get more out of if you pay attention and draw conclusions from the environment. It has two flaws that will make or break the game for you though. The biggest one is the movement speed is slow, and there are some early puzzles that require you to run around a big area, and it can be painful, especially if you're not sure how the puzzle works and you're still experimenting with it.

The second is there is a late game puzzle that requires you to understand a system that you saw earlier in the game, but you no longer can go back and look at. If you've kept multiple saves or good notes this won't be a problem, but if you haven't it will end your run.

I thought the plot wasn't quite as good as the Myst series, but that could well be nostalgia, so take it for what it's worth. You won't be interacting with characters much, just like Myst.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Steam version of You must build a boat is on sale for $.59 if you are looking for something with some change from selling cards or whatever.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Mokinokaro posted:

Good news: Atelier Sophie and Firis don't have the time management mechanics (Sophie has one missable event you have to do before the final boss and it's pretty obvious.) They're far from the best of the series but they're fun enough.

That's it then, trigger pulled, thanks for the inputs, everyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

strategery
Apr 21, 2004
I come to you baring a gift. Its in my diper and its not a toaster.

RentACop posted:

Red Alert 3 is extremely good and five dollars

In related news OpenRa is totally free. I mean ra3 is good. Just adding to the list.

• Locked thread