Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
not enough paragraphs actually

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
here's the paragraphs you need:

Milky Moor posted:

So, here are my TRANSFORMERS 5 thoughts.

This film is somehow both the most generic of the Transformers films and the most bizarre. I do not think it bodes well for the "cinematic universe" Hasbro wants to create and I feel like this film is flawed because of Hasbro trying to set up a wider cinematic universe. For what it's worth my partner, who hated the previous films and almost refused to see this one, thinks this one was great. As she puts it, this is Bay with the edges filed down to a safe, pleasant line.

The robot-on-robot combat is bizarrely perfunctory. I'm not sure there are any robot-on-robot fights that last more than thirty seconds. For a lot of them, it is almost everything you've seen in the trailers. To me, this is a massive disappointment. It feels like they had to cut down every single scene in this film to get the run time to what it is, and the robot fights were basically cut down to "fight starts, fight ending money shot". There is nothing in it like the forest fight in TF2, Prime carving up Shockwave in TF3 or Prime fighting Lockdown in TF4. What makes this more obvious is that Drift and Crosshairs vanish from the last twenty minutes of the film. One of the spoilers I read earlier was that they were killed by Megatron. Otherwise, not a single Autobot dies or really suffers. Comparing this to the previous films is strange.

And yet this is also the film that by far spends the most time on the robots. The new Decepticons get this strangely in-depth intro sequence -- but half of them are killed in maybe thirty seconds in single shots in their first fight and the other half do nothing of consequence and Barricade, again, vanishes from the film during the halfway point. That last point, however, might be intentional.

The action is strange, too. There's nothing in it like the highway chase scene in TF3 where the kinetic motion and the pounding soundtrack just takes you in and obliterates your senses. Everything feels safe and generic.

The film obviously suffers from being three scripts combined. It sashays between Michael Bay Presents: Monty Python's Holy Grail, Michael Bay Presents: The Da Vinci Code, Michael Bay Presents: Transformers In Time, and Michael Bay Presents: Transformers 5. There is obviously so much stuff cut out. Every single scene feels like it was cut down to the bone, and a lot of the cool stuff got nicked in the process. That's not to say there aren't nice things in the film. Anthony Hopkins just steals the show despite him just delivering So Much Exposition. Wahlberg is fun. Cogman is a neat character. The film delivers on total insanity with the whole thing with Earth and Cybertron and Unicron and all of that. If anyone had expected how the film was going to end, and some of the events that took place, well, congratulations on writing the script. In that sense, it is decidedly like the previous films: the events cannot be walked backwards, the status quo is forever changed.

And yet it is so unlike the previous films.

I can't believe I'm saying this, but... Michael Bay has let me down. If this is the sort of thing he'd be making going forward, I'm not surprised he's apparently serious about this being the last. This is Michael Bay who has been asked to tone it down and it feels like it. This is Michael Bay being told to make it more like Marvel.

I can live with a lot of things in a Transformers film. All I really want is a great Jablonsky soundtrack while Bay blows my senses away with fighting robots. I didn't really get that. I cannot get over how short and perfunctory the robot-on-robot scenes were. The showdown with Prime and Megatron is literally Megatron pins Prime down, Prime cuts off his arm and kicks him away in the space of maybe twenty seconds.

TF2 was a glorious trainwreck. TF5 just... exists.

Yeah. "That submarine is a Transformer!" says someone.

It never transforms. It never speaks or is given a name. It is never mentioned again. The Bay films aren't usually this sloppy.

Goddamn, the movie even has a Marvel-esque 'You better come to the next movie to find out what this means!' mid-credits scene.

I'm an addict who wanted the good poo poo and I've had it cut with flour. It's so clean and safe! gently caress.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
The best transformers already exists anyway https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5g0-kTOu0tQ

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

Birdstrike posted:

here's the paragraphs you need:

But not the paragraphs we deserve

Frogfingers
Oct 10, 2012

DancingShade posted:

The best transformers already exists anyway https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bq1_6D9QS9Y

Fixed.

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

I'm not racist, I'm mates with Bangladesh, the guy who sells me kebabs. No, I don't know his real name.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Good to see Barnaby's reading levels have risen over the past few years

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Some goons overreact. Go figure.

Never thought I'd say this about him, but please tell me he has children.

AgentF
May 11, 2009
If he does then he's charging the taxpayer for things that have nothing to do with his job or being in government. The LNP appear to be so comfortable with ripping off the taxpaying that it happens at both high-level and low-.

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Some goons overreact. Go figure.

AgentF posted:

If he does then he's charging the taxpayer for things that have nothing to do with his job or being in government. The LNP appear to be so comfortable with ripping off the taxpaying that it happens at both high-level and low-.

Oh sure I agree, but if the alternative is that he's buying them for himself to read...

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

Whitlam posted:

Oh sure I agree, but if the alternative is that he's buying them for himself to read...

Better that than ayn rand or Andrew bolt

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
I would like the resident ALP person to justify taxing tampons and other sanitary items

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
We have a resident ALP person?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

The answer is revenue by the way.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
Imagine being that stingy that you'd rather it be public knowledge that you buy young adult fiction and minecraft books than hide your shame like a normal person and just buy it off the books.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Solemn Sloth posted:

Better that than ayn rand or Andrew bolt

I told someone recently that Dirty Dancing not only references Ayn Rand, but blatantly has the villain try to coax the protagonist into reading it while he attempts to woo her with his wealth and power. Theybdidn believe me then watched the movie months later not remembering I said that and were pleasantly surprised. Dirty Dancing is pretty LF.

asio
Nov 29, 2008

"Also Sprach Arnold Jacobs: A Developmental Guide for Brass Wind Musicians" refers to the mullet as an important tool for professional cornet playing and box smashing black and blood

Don Dongington posted:

Also is anyone else kinda disgusted that Larissa Waters breastfeeding in the senate chamber is considered anything other than business as usual in this backwards cousinfuck of a country? I mean I get it she's from Queensland where it's probably illegal but still.

LW is actually from Canada, where yes, this is normal behaviour. If she was a real qld'er the baby would have a sippy bottle of coca cola or a blackleg wet nurse from one of those disappearing pacific islands depending on income band.

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

I'm not racist, I'm mates with Bangladesh, the guy who sells me kebabs. No, I don't know his real name.
It would be Bundy in that bottle and we all know it.

asio
Nov 29, 2008

"Also Sprach Arnold Jacobs: A Developmental Guide for Brass Wind Musicians" refers to the mullet as an important tool for professional cornet playing and box smashing black and blood

Bogan King posted:

It would be Bundy in that bottle and we all know it.

What kind of sicko gives a baby bundy. What a waste.

If baby needs a sleep then mum has some bundy before breastfeeding. Knocks em right out.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Can you drink in parliament? I assume not or everyone would.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
Quick google search says at least in NSW state parliament they can drink on the job and do.

Quantum Mechanic
Apr 25, 2010

Just another fuckwit who thrives on fake moral outrage.
:derp:Waaaah the Christians are out to get me:derp:

lol abbottsgonnawin

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Quick google search says at least in NSW state parliament they can drink on the job and do.

I know at least one MP who is infamous for rocking up to sitting days absolutely shellacked by midday

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

Zenithe posted:

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

That face is just to distract us from his nancy drew book.

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

https://twitter.com/CEOSleepout/status/877812107168763904

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Anidav posted:

Okay schools need more funding because most public schools haven't had a makeover since the early 2000s-

I know a school that was supposed to have some work done -- new rooms, upgrades, etc -- in the 80s-90s.

Still hasn't happened. So, the school is held together by duct tape and good wishes in a few places and teachers are like, well, no poo poo the kids have no pride, look at what we have to work with.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Publicly schooled kids aren't going to enjoy nice surroundings in their lives further on, so why bother building up false hope with pretty schools.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Zenithe posted:

When the drug testing for welfare recipients plan first came out, Scott Ludlam was talking about how many senators just get completely shitfaced during late night senate sessions or estimate hearings.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

GoldStandardConure posted:

When the drug testing for welfare recipients plan first came out, Scott Ludlam was talking about how many senators just get completely shitfaced during late night senate sessions or estimate hearings.

Drug and Alcohol testing at parliament please. If I can't be trusted to do my job drunk, why are politicians trusted to run the country pissed?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I don't like the habit of people wanting to impose restrictions on others as vengeance for poo poo conditions they have to suffer. The standard response in a workplace when someone gets more than you is to take it away rather than strive to get the same, or alternatively to impose some poo poo you have to suffer unfairly on people that don't.

That being said I don't disagree about parliamentarians being tested, but in general the tests are just bullshit that bosses do to sack people or keep their workers under pressure.

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

Check out the new citizenship questions

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I can believe this is real.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

https://www.ielts-exam.net/practice_tests/69/IELTS_General_Reading_multiple_choice/658/

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ll-JDEEdQnw

quote:

NATHAN BIRCH IS SELLING HIS PROPERTIES?

For a long time now, I’ve been collecting properties like kids collect action figurines in a happy meal. I never like to see one go.

But recently, the finance environment has changed…

It’s a bitter pill to swallow for a buy and hold investor – but I need to optimize to suite the times we are in by letting go.

Just to be perfectly clear this doesn’t mean that I’ve stopped buying! Far from it, last year alone I did $10 M in new property purchases. This year I am looking at spending $6 – 7 M on new properties.

However, I see this stage in my investment journey as graduating from my ‘foundation’ portfolio into a development phase.

Personally, I am interested in buying anything that I can develop into a bigger property in the future.

WHY AM I SELLING MY PROPERTIES?

Now, I’m not selling up because my grand plan has failed, vindicating the ‘negative Norman’s’ out there.

Not at all! I can sit on this portfolio and ride these finance changes out without breaking a sweat, but that doesn’t sit well with me. I want more!

I want to keep moving in a market where almost every investor is stuck in quick sand – even if that means selling.

For years now I have been channeling equity into deposits for new properties, but it’s no secret that equity is very hard to release these days – even if you have millions of dollars of it!

The reason behind this is serviceability restrictions. Anytime you withdraw equity, you need to show income to service that new loan. Sadly, the banks don’t value rental income as highly as they once did.

The fail-safe way to access equity today for anyone with a large portfolio is plain old-fashioned selling.

The cash can be used to buy up new properties better suited to the current market. For me that’s anything I can develop and flip for a chunky cash profit.

I would blow Dane Cook fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Jun 23, 2017

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

That's OK, you can believe what you want. You're wrong but go nuts.

-------------------------------

https://twitter.com/callapilla/status/878064544802717697

https://twitter.com/callapilla/status/878064742354403328

https://twitter.com/callapilla/status/878068381190045696

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

It is a reading test, which is why all of the answers are samey. Still ridiculous you'd choose coal's role in climate change as reading material.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

loving what.

Most Australian politicians would be guessing that.

Also, you didn't post the best one:

I assume the answers are "d" and "throw the test into the nearest bin"

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
if climate change isn't a thing then why "clean coal"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
"The increase in global greenhouse gases has been attributed to trends in population and lifestyle."

Holy poo poo.

• Locked thread