Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

All of Lord and Miller's films have such a heart to them that I can't imagine anyone watching their films and saying they'd be nothing but a bunch of goofs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

well why not posted:

There's a Star Wars comic series named "Darth Vader". It's set after ANH and focuses mostly on Vader trying to track down Luke Skywalker while trying to appear faithful to the Emperor. Mostly he bosses around Evil Lady Indiana Jones and her sidekicks, Evil C-3P0 and Evil R2-D2. It's pretty enjoyable if your bed is shaped like an X-Wing already.

what if its a y-wing bed, or even a race car

i was ambivalent about seeing a han solo movie, but now after all that's gone down, i think i'm out; Lord and Miller were one of the few people out there to get my rear end in that seat for such an unnecessary movie

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016
It turns out that the executives weren't a fan of the movie starting on a cold open of Kylo Ren running through Han and, as he's falling into the depths of Starkiller Base, the record scratch with a freeze frame of Han's face

Harrison Ford: "Woah woah, see that guy right there? Looks like he's hit rock bottom. Well, that guy's actually me. Now you're probably wondering how I got into this wacky situation: it all started in the summer of 19 BBY..."

Super Fan
Jul 16, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
I just can't get behind Lord and Millers humor so I'm glad they're gone.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Autism Sneaks posted:

It turns out that the executives weren't a fan of the movie starting on a cold open of Kylo Ren running through Han and, as he's falling into the depths of Starkiller Base, the record scratch with a freeze frame of Han's face

Harrison Ford: "Woah woah, see that guy right there? Looks like he's hit rock bottom. Well, that guy's actually me. Now you're probably wondering how I got into this wacky situation: it all started in the summer of 19 BBY..."

This is nothing like a lord and Miller film

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

CelticPredator posted:

This is nothing like a lord and Miller film

Yeah. It's more like there would be a scene where Woody Harrelson's character is trying to convince Han Solo that the Millennium Falcon is a badass space ship, and young Han is all, "I think that it's really sweet that you think your grandma's junker is cool, but I'm going to go over here with Lando and maybe actually have a chance at getting laid."

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I love Lord and Miller and I'm mad as hell Making History got cancelled.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
LEIA: I love you.
NARRATOR: He knew.

(I stole this joke from Facebook)

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

"...and he was a good friend."

[stock footage not found]

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Honestly I wish that Disney would stop hiring directors known for specific styles of film and then being surprised that the directors are making a film that's exactly what your expect from them. There's a range of comedy present in Lord & Miller's work, including broad slapstick, so I can't really say I'm surprised that there were some Jim Carreyesque scenes, and actually would have been fine with it? Guardians has a decent amount of slapstick too, and that's the finest space opera to come out in ages.

:sigh:

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

So the sources say that the fired directors were making a mess of the movie, but the guy playing Han is really great, super great, his portrayal is awesome and anything not-great about it is the fault of the fired directors, and he is super dedicated to the idea of Han Solo, everyone says so.

Checks out.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

I think part of what we're seeing here is the studio's desire to treat Star Wars with a reverence. This series is important, It is of cultural significanxe, and so forth. And of course all of that is true in the broad scheme of cinema (at least as far as the OT is concerned), but it seems like there might still be some hyper-sensitivity from the mocking and derision of the prequels. The problem is if they're truly going to try to do this yearly installment plan, they need to get comfortable with experimentation. There's absolutely room for a balls-out Star Wars comedy, just as there is for a horror movie, or surrealist thriller. But the producers need to know what they want, and not get gunshy if it gets too brave.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Fart City posted:

I think part of what we're seeing here is the studio's desire to treat Star Wars with a reverence. This series is important, It is of cultural significanxe, and so forth. And of course all of that is true in the broad scheme of cinema (at least as far as the OT is concerned), but it seems like there might still be some hyper-sensitivity from the mocking and derision of the prequels. The problem is if they're truly going to try to do this yearly installment plan, they need to get comfortable with experimentation. There's absolutely room for a balls-out Star Wars comedy, just as there is for a horror movie, or surrealist thriller. But the producers need to know what they want, and not get gunshy if it gets too brave.

I think what we're seeing here is the studio's desire to seem reverent.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Right, yeah. That's what I was trying to get to in a more long-winded way. Disney/Lucasfilm wants Star Wars to be prestige pictures.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Fart City posted:

The problem is if they're truly going to try to do this yearly installment plan, they need to get comfortable with experimentation. There's absolutely room for a balls-out Star Wars comedy, just as there is for a horror movie, or surrealist thriller. But the producers need to know what they want, and not get gunshy if it gets too brave.

Until yesterday I thought that's what they were doing. Rogue One is a heist film that turns into troops-on-the-ground war film, and I thought Solo was gonna be an adventure comedy (a la Raiders), based on the characters, actors, and directors involved. Neither would be "Star Wars" films in the way the main series is--but that's the point.

Fart City posted:

Right, yeah. That's what I was trying to get to in a more long-winded way. Disney/Lucasfilm wants Star Wars to be prestige pictures.

Ugh this annoys me so much. The series remains beloved by everyone despite medicore prequels, terrible EU books, the Droids & Ewoks series, and the loving Christmas special! There's very little that Disney could do to Star Wars to tarnish its reputation that Lucas hasn't already done, so why do they seem so scared of failure?

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Jun 22, 2017

RedSpider
May 12, 2017

If anyone thinks Ron Howard is a good pick for this, please watch Inferno.

Even Revenge of the Fallen is a more coherent film than that.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Eh all the Dan Brown movies demonstrate to me is that Ron Howard will do exactly what the studio wants him to do--no more, no less--and that's exactly why he was chose to replace L&M.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

lelandjs posted:

Until yesterday I thought that's what they were doing. Rogue One is a heist film that turns into troops-on-the-ground war film, and I thought Solo was gonna be an adventure comedy (a la Raiders), based on the characters, actors, and directors involved. Neither would be "Star Wars" films in the way the main series is--but that's the point.

Ugh this annoys me so much. The series remains beloved by everyone despite medicore prequels, terrible EU books, the Droids & Ewoks series, and the loving Christmas special! There's very little that Disney could do to Star Wars to tarnish it's reputation that Lucas hasn't already done, so why do they seem so scared of failure?

Because a large group of vocal fans already act like they've ruined it for kicking out the EU and *gasp* giving women a leading role. Sounds dumb to kow-tow to those voices, but corporations are not know for being efficiently and effectively run.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

lelandjs posted:

Ugh this annoys me so much. The series remains beloved by everyone despite medicore prequels, terrible EU books, the Droids & Ewoks series, and the loving Christmas special! There's very little that Disney could do to Star Wars to tarnish it's reputation that Lucas hasn't already done, so why do they seem so scared of failure?

Because making George Lucas your sin eater doesnt work if you gently caress up at any point.

Also, Star Wars has nigh-on religious importance to its fans. EU novels are the same poo poo as grocery store novels about angelic intercession of pablum like Touched by An Angel.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kF0261rG04k

Kermode review of Howard's Inferno for anyone interested. Rogue One's Jyn Erso is in this, actually!

Taintrunner fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Jun 22, 2017

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Barudak posted:

Because making George Lucas your sin eater doesnt work if you gently caress up at any point.

Absolutely this. Right now a good portion of the fanbase still thinks that only Lucas was capable of loving up Star Wars, and now that normal non-Lucas people are involved its gonna be more and more Empire Strikes Backs until the end of time.

All it would take is one flop, one major misstep to blow away that facade, and once fans start having doubts about whether this or that new Star Wars is gonna be good, Disney's already lost.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

RedSpider posted:

If anyone thinks Ron Howard is a good pick for this, please watch Inferno.

Even Revenge of the Fallen is a more coherent film than that.

The end of Inferno was hilarious, shlubby white dude is getting his rear end kicked by the sexy young terrorist.
So he bravely dives out of the way so the police can shoot. :911:
Of course this ignores the fact they couldn't shoot earlier because they would've hit the container with the virus.

But yeah, it is kind of astounding how stupid and ugly that film is.
But again, :911:

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
I'm curious what form a "Star Wars comedy" would take? If you're going broad comedy or slapstick, wouldn't that just become Spaceballs? Why make a parody of yourself at that point? Star Wars has comedy, but they're not comedies. It sounds like this was becoming a comedy set in the Star Wars universe.

To some extent, it sounds like it was heading towards the same nature the never aired Star Wars Detours was about.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Wars_Detours

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Tender Bender posted:

So the sources say that the fired directors were making a mess of the movie, but the guy playing Han is really great, super great, his portrayal is awesome and anything not-great about it is the fault of the fired directors, and he is super dedicated to the idea of Han Solo, everyone says so.

Checks out.

Yeah, I was going to say, that StarWarsNews thing seems very heavily slanted in favor of Lucasfilm, and considering they're a site that is only too happy to carry Disney / Lucasfilm's water for them, I'm not exactly sure I'd take that piece as the gospel truth.

Lord and Miller aren't exactly known as intransigent assholes.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Teek posted:

I'm curious what form a "Star Wars comedy" would take? If you're going broad comedy or slapstick, wouldn't that just become Spaceballs? Why make a parody of yourself at that point?

I'm sure that regardless of whatever these reports are referring to, there was nothing in what Lord & Miller were shooting that would be comparable to some of the stuff in Space Balls. It would still be a big budget action movie with actual Star Wars characters and not stand ins played by Rick Moranis.

Don't get me wrong, Spaceballs and Rick Moranis are awesome, but I really doubt the parody was going that far over the top.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Teek posted:

I'm curious what form a "Star Wars comedy" would take? If you're going broad comedy or slapstick, wouldn't that just become Spaceballs? Why make a parody of yourself at that point? Star Wars has comedy, but they're not comedies. It sounds like this was becoming a comedy set in the Star Wars universe.

To some extent, it sounds like it was heading towards the same nature the never aired Star Wars Detours was about.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Wars_Detours

Oh Dear God...please no.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

This is good news. The Han Solo film was probably going to suck regardless but I'd rather have a bad/mediocre action sci-fi film than a bad comedy.

RedSpider
May 12, 2017

Yaws posted:

This is good news. The Han Solo film was probably going to suck regardless but I'd rather have a bad/mediocre action sci-fi film than a bad comedy.

How dare you insult George Lucas like this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nW8u9FQKEzo

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

euphronius posted:

.... the ghostbusters movie was really good?

Lol who convinced you of this

Veshpo
May 23, 2016

lelandjs posted:

Even with Rogue One there's every indication of heavy studio intervention. I have no idea if said intervention made it worse or better, but it was certainly changed. We got a really fun final forty minutes out of it, but oops, the characters are incoherent now, so I guess it's a wash.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

The characters in Rogue One made plenty of sense to me. :shrug:

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
Yeah, the characters in Rogue One are actually a pretty good example of how to do an ensemble piece. Each character is distinctive and you get at least an idea of their journey and motivation, frequently very, very succinctly.

Escobarbarian posted:

quick q: i never saw jurassic world, two years on what's the consensus, is it a good dumb popcorn flick or does it totally suck or what

It's a bunch of set pieces you've seen done better in other better done movies. I still can't get over how much they crib from, for instance, Aliens (using both the helmet cams and the heart rate monitors) without the slightest understanding of what made those scenes work. Not their context in the film, just the film making mechanics.

Barudak posted:

Also, Star Wars has nigh-on religious importance to its fans. EU novels are the same poo poo as grocery store novels about angelic intercession of pablum like Touched by An Angel.

Yeah, but you don't have to worry about alienating those fans. You don't need to please them. To make the bajillion dollars these movies make, you need everyone else. And for that, you need bland, inoffensive films.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

Lord Hydronium posted:

The characters in Rogue One made plenty of sense to me. :shrug:

Snowman_McK posted:

Yeah, the characters in Rogue One are actually a pretty good example of how to do an ensemble piece. Each character is distinctive and you get at least an idea of their journey and motivation, frequently very, very succinctly.

Ah, but if you pretended that you didn't know anything about the movie and had to describe the characters like they were your imaginary friends, could you do it?

RedSpider
May 12, 2017

K. Waste posted:

Ah, but if you pretended that you didn't know anything about the movie and had to describe the characters like they were your imaginary friends, could you do it?

No. Rogue One's characters were bland as gently caress. That criticism of the film is accurate.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

Is that Lord and Miller test footage?

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

K. Waste posted:

Yes. I feel like I actually could do that extremely specific and weird thing.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

K. Waste posted:

yes. the characters of r1 were well constructed.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014
The characters of Rogue One were pretty anemic. None of them left a very big impression on me. The blind guy and the robot stood out a bit more than the rest, I guess. The two mains didn't have very strong personalities or character traits.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
The characters in Rogue One are alienated - they exist on the margins of a social revolution. They are not portraying strong personalities at all - but, rather, are explicitly diminutive, compared to the vampiric and vast empire. They are always in the crosshairs, and they act realizing that their story is already written, that they will not live to see a better version of this world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

I didn't like Rogue One as much as others seemed to. It has a phenomenally stacked cast, all playing fairly shallow characters. You could argue that the characters in the OT weren't particularly deep on paper either, but that actually worked in favor of the overall pulp tone of the story (and was buoyed by a butt-load of charisma). Other than the two monks, there weren't any characters in R1 I'd particularly care to explore further.

• Locked thread