Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

bawfuls posted:

Aaron Judge is 4 years older than Cody Bellinger. That depresses his career counting stat projections significantly.

I have it on good authority that age is just a number.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Barry Bonds laughs at your age.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
So it sounds like the sale of the Marlins is down to two groups, Derek Jeter vs Mitt Romneys son. I fully expect Tagg Romney to be the new face of the Marlins, nothing says fun like a Romney.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
You guys will never guess what Aaron Judge did tonight.

https://twitter.com/Yankees/status/878043914837540864

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

STAC Goat posted:

As a fellow lifelong baseball fan and lover of pitching, who has spent his entire life listening to retired pitchers talk and watching current pitchers act I'm pretty sure its always been the case that pitchers are hypocritical self righteous assholes who think you should never watch a 450 ft home run to see if it leaves the stadium but think its totally ok to but a 95 MPH fastball under a batter's chin if he offends you.

But they probably got more sensitive when ESPN started putting the home runs in Top 10 highlight reels and absolutely intolerable when people started to just get phone updates of video of pitchers getting owned that they can watch over and over again.

I've got an old book of sports quotes and Early Wynn said if these young whippersnappers of [whatever current time that was] showboated against him, he'd hit them with a pitch in the dugout.

Somebody else said that Freddie Fitzsimmons got him with a brushback pitch in the on deck circle.

And, of course, Juan Marichal, which built because Marichal was insulted by a base hit bunt.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

He'll soon be back, and with greater numbers.

If Schwarber did a Tusken Raider yell instead of a bat flip I might be able to get over my extreme prejudice against beefy individuals.

I will also take this time to point out that until this happens the Cardinals have the best Star Wars credentials, as Postseason Legend David Eckstein is married to the actress who voices Ahsoka Tano, whoever that is, in the Star Wars animated series.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Speaking of unwritten rules, apparently a lot of people are upset that Jarrod Dyson bunted successfully to bust up Justin Verlander's perfect game!

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

seiferguy posted:

Speaking of unwritten rules, apparently a lot of people are upset that Jarrod Dyson bunted successfully to bust up Justin Verlander's perfect game!

Which is super dumb because Verlander himself said he had no problems with it:

quote:

“It was a perfect bunt,” Verlander said, via MLB.com. “That’s part of his game. I don’t think it was quite too late, given the situation, to bunt, especially being as how that’s a major part of what he does. I really didn’t have any issues with it. It’s not like I got upset about it.”

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Sydin posted:

That was also just a perfect push bunt, if Dyson was able to do that 1/3 of the time he tried he would never do anything else until the 2nd baseman was lining up on the infield grass against him.

Like, as bunt hits go that wasn't a cheap one is my point I guess.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Rand alPaul posted:

Barry Bonds laughs at your age.

You could go 2-5 with a home run and a single every game of an entire season and your OPS would still be lower than Barry Bonds' was in 2004, the season where he turned 40.

Although my favorite Barry Bonds fact ever is there has only been one pitcher in history who faced Bonds 6 or more times and didn't let him reach base. That pitcher, Geremi Gonzalez, died by being struck by lightning.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

my large minor league son

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Although my favorite Barry Bonds fact ever is there has only been one pitcher in history who faced Bonds 6 or more times and didn't let him reach base. That pitcher, Geremi Gonzalez, died by being struck by lightning.
Bonds was the lightning in that rain

Petanque
Apr 14, 2008

Ca va bien aller

New Concept Hole posted:

Bonds was the lightning in that rain

Rat farts!!!

Longpig Bard
Dec 29, 2004

Sydin posted:

:discourse:

http://mlb.nbcsports.com/2016/08/16/justin-verlander-still-remembers-erick-aybars-bunt-five-years-ago/

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

:lol:

So it's okay in the sixth inning but the eight inning is "bush league". The unwritten rules sure are a cluster gently caress.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

this is pretty loving lame

https://twitter.com/McCulloughTimes/status/878045134989819906

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Who threw this cat at me?
Clapping Larry

This was the Carlos Guillen v Jered Weaver game too, right?

I remember it fondly.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

Inspector_666 posted:

Sentenced a baseball to death

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
:siren: THE MARINERS ARE ABOVE .500!! :siren:

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I missed a trivia question tonight about the Mariners win total in 2001 which is loving shameful since I paid all kinds of attention to the Astros pace before the entire rotation went on the DL

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

A four game sweep of the Mets is extremely satisfying.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Inspector_666 posted:

That kid :allears:

Stupid feel good story of the year Yankees

Pancakes posted:

If Schwarber did a Tusken Raider yell instead of a bat flip I might be able to get over my extreme prejudice against beefy individuals.

I will also take this time to point out that until this happens the Cardinals have the best Star Wars credentials, as Postseason Legend David Eckstein is married to the actress who voices Ahsoka Tano, whoever that is, in the Star Wars animated series.
:goonsay: For those who don't follow Star Wars beyond the films, she's Anakin Skywalker's former Padawan and maybe the most prominent non-film post-original trilogy character in the SW Universe at this point. That was a pretty awesome opportunity Ashley picked up and she and David are pretty huge nerds (she has a line of SW inspired clothes and I think she designed David's wrestling costumes). Could David do anything more to endear nerd baseball fans to him?

tadashi fucked around with this message at 12:37 on Jun 23, 2017

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

tadashi posted:

:goonsay: For those who don't follow Star Wars beyond the films, she's Anakin Skywalker's former Padawan and maybe the most prominent non-film post-original trilogy character in the SW Universe at this point. That was a pretty awesome opportunity Ashley picked up and she and David are pretty huge nerds (she has a line of SW inspired clothes and I think she designed David's wrestling costumes). Could David do anything more to endear nerd baseball fans to him?

Maybe make fun of himself with other nerd mediums, like reading mean comments about himself or latching onto a baseball joke from Parks & Rec?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QS7aNBNzx0A
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ipdbKiAOBEc

David Eckstein is an adorable baseball elf. :glomp:

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

bawfuls posted:

A four game sweep of the Mets is extremely satisfying.

Thanks for doing your part, friend

The_Hat
Sep 24, 2008

eckstein123

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

You could go 2-5 with a home run and a single every game of an entire season and your OPS would still be lower than Barry Bonds' was in 2004, the season where he turned 40.

Isn't something like 4/5ths of the 1996/7 Cubs rotation dead? Jeremi Gonzalez, Kevin Foster, Frank Castillo, and I think one other?

BigBallChunkyTime fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Jun 23, 2017

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Your Taint posted:

Isn't something like 4/5ths of the 1996/7 Cubs rotation dead? Jeremi Gonzalez, Kevin Foster, Frank Castillo, and I think one other?

Speaking of dead pitchers, yesterday was 15 years since Darryl Kile. I feel both old and grateful for the chance to get old. :(

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

I want Greg bird back and healthy

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."
Views: it's time for the Mets to move on from Collins/Alderson/Warthen/Ramirez already, sweet Jiminy Christmas

Doesn't solve the other problem of the Wilpons still owning the Mets though.

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

You tried to destroy it once before, Commodore.
The result was a wrecked ship and a dead crew.
Fun Shoe

:siren: FUN 2017 TORONTO BLUE JAYS TRIVIA :siren:

The 2017 Toronto Blue Jays have now played 9 games in which they are one win away from .500 and lost them all.

In those nine games they have been outscored 73-24.

The combined ERA of their starting pitchers in those games is 11.15.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
https://twitter.com/Cardinals/status/878272228072095744

Read replies at your own risk.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Thom P. Tiers posted:

Read replies at your own risk.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Considering this is a fanbase that told Fowler to shut up and play baseball when his wife and her family were at risk of being screwed by the Muslim travel ban and he spoke out about it, nothing would surprise me

This meme came and went before I was really aware of it

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

Billy Butler: Fat Guy by Day, Doubles Machine by Night
If you ever wondered if a team could get hot at the wrong time, consider today's news that the Royals are not looking to be sellers until they "collapse completely."

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

BFIB twitter is lit.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Yeah def check out @BestFansStLouis for all your flaming hot takes.

lol at all the people asking "When is straight pride night?".

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Popete posted:

Yeah def check out @BestFansStLouis for all your flaming hot takes.

lol at all the people asking "When is straight pride night?".

Even better are the "WHEN IS CHRISTIAN NIGHT?!" people.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
To be fair this happens everywhere when they announce a pride night. Even the Seattle twitter had some hot takes when they announced pride night (which was last night).

https://twitter.com/Mariners/status/873662569717936128

The internet is a bad, bad place for hot takes about social issues that largely don't affect others. :(

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.

Inspector_666 posted:

BFIB twitter is lit.

Can't...look...away...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Intruder posted:

This meme came and went before I was really aware of it

It's a good meme

• Locked thread