Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ellbent
May 2, 2007

I NEVER HAD SOUL
They'd probably get pretty competitive pretty fast about who hated themselves more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halser
Aug 24, 2016
they probably did it to avoid infinite chains of death's door + healing people around him. Would make for a pretty much invincible team even with only two of them.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Halser posted:

they probably did it to avoid infinite chains of death's door + healing people around him. Would make for a pretty much invincible team even with only two of them.

And the stress redirect as a bonus. :v:

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Why do people say the Flagellant is particularly good in the Court? I understand how he can work well anywhere aside from the Ruins, but I don't see what about the enemies there make him perform above average.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Soup du Journey posted:

yeah the prices are ridiculous. don't be afraid to mod your game. nobody cares. god's not watching. achievements still work.

This reminds me, for some reason my roster expansion modding isn't sticking anymore. I go into the building file but it doesn't impact my game. Anyone know what I'm missing?

A FESTIVE SKELETON
Oct 2, 2011

TIS THE SEASON BITCH

Internet Kraken posted:

Why do people say the Flagellant is particularly good in the Court? I understand how he can work well anywhere aside from the Ruins, but I don't see what about the enemies there make him perform above average.

Bloodsuckers are just generally susceptible to bleeds, he can also face tank poo poo while keeping himself alive while he stacks these bleeds on enemies, as well as redirecting bleeds on allies with the bonus of self-marking and gaining prot? He seems like an excellent choice for taking along in situations that requires gratuitous endurance.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
They are all particularly vulnerable to bleed and many of them have a decent amount of prot. He also has a great amount of survivability and good potential for having enough speed to act before many vampires do.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
That all applies to every other area too though. I think its better to just say the Flagellant is disgustingly good in every area that isn't the ruins, and to a lesser extent the cove.

Too bad he's another uptight loser that refuses to party with our beast friend the Abomination.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Internet Kraken posted:

Too bad he's another uptight loser that refuses to party with our beast friend the Abomination.

He is actually gracious enough to avoid embarrassing good friend Abomination, hence why they won't team up

A FESTIVE SKELETON
Oct 2, 2011

TIS THE SEASON BITCH
I kinda prefer the blighting and stunning of the abomination more than his beast mode these days.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
The Crocodile is easily the hardest reoccurring boss in the game now. Its capable of doing powerful AOE damage, AOE stress, moving people, high DOTs, high HP, and shuffling its position constantly.

They may have gone overboard with this fucker.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
somewhere h jon Benjamin has an urge to start screaming about how he told Lana about crocodiles and he doesn't know why

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
I watched the crocodile destroy Baer and now I feel better about myself

Desperate Character
Apr 13, 2009
the real enemy in the crocodile fights are those reeds with 200 dodge and 100 hp. It makes the boss so annoying for crusader/lepers especially when it gets its move attack off constantly. Even the church pews aren't as frustrating to take down :argh:

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
I just got the event where the shrieker stole all of my trinkets, even the ones I just won from the necromancer. My characters are levels 1-3, and the shrieker event says its a level 5 champion event. Am I hosed until I get more levels? I figured it would have made the shrieker the appropriate level for me to fight.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Node posted:

I just got the event where the shrieker stole all of my trinkets, even the ones I just won from the necromancer. My characters are levels 1-3, and the shrieker event says its a level 5 champion event. Am I hosed until I get more levels? I figured it would have made the shrieker the appropriate level for me to fight.

Bizarrely, the Shrieker is scaled down to your level despite what the quest says. You don't even need to kill it, just stay in the fight long enough to scare it off. I don't even think you get anything from killing it. The nest, however, drops piles of trapezohedrons.

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!

My beautiful child.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Honestly starting a fight off with finale into backrow song spam isn't that bad. Finale is usually strong enough to instantly eliminate one enemy and the Jester will usually go first. Its probably the best way to use him.

Also I feel a lot better about the Leper now that I gave him another chance. Definitely not my favorite frontliner still (its hard to compete with the Hellion) due to his inability to do a drat thing when shuffled, but he has enough utility now that I don't feel bad using him. Plus he's so tanky and good at managing his stress that he can keep Dismas' Head equipped constantly and hit absurdly hard.

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

GreyjoyBastard posted:

This reminds me, for some reason my roster expansion modding isn't sticking anymore. I go into the building file but it doesn't impact my game. Anyone know what I'm missing?
You might need to put it in the crimson court subdirectory for it to stick. It works just like the base game dir, wit its own /campaign/buildings/ etc etc that supersedes the vanilla stuff when the dlc is enabled

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

Kite Pride Worldwide posted:

Bizarrely, the Shrieker is scaled down to your level despite what the quest says. You don't even need to kill it, just stay in the fight long enough to scare it off. I don't even think you get anything from killing it. The nest, however, drops piles of trapezohedrons.

Yikes, you trolled me hard. I got the horrid (champion) shrieker. I managed to survive somehow.

Node fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Jun 23, 2017

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
https://clips-media-assets.twitch.tv/25572998912-offset-14367.415-33.916666666666664.mp4#t=0

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...
I try not to suggest new mechanics I think would be outside the existing mechanics or spirit of the game, but this idea is stuck in my craw and I need to share it.

Dismissed Crimson Curse party members should be added to a pool of enemies to be added into Court encounters. The architecture for it already exists in the Siren fight and it would disincentivize firing anyone that comes down with a taste for the kool aid. Plus, what better fate for them to than to wander aimlessly around the outskirts of the hamlet, looking for their next fix.

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!
So how do I open the locked doors in Crimson Court 2. I've spent 5 hours on that mission today and made almost no headway.

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
lol can't transform a crimson cursed abom. might be an oversight.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Is the time limit on Stygian higher with Crimson Court installed? I haven't even beaten the second court mission and already had to visit the drat place 5 times. Seems like it would make the time limit more brutal if it hasn't been extended.

ZorajitZorajit posted:

I try not to suggest new mechanics I think would be outside the existing mechanics or spirit of the game, but this idea is stuck in my craw and I need to share it.

Dismissed Crimson Curse party members should be added to a pool of enemies to be added into Court encounters. The architecture for it already exists in the Siren fight and it would disincentivize firing anyone that comes down with a taste for the kool aid. Plus, what better fate for them to than to wander aimlessly around the outskirts of the hamlet, looking for their next fix.

It'd make more sense for them to show up as enemies in dungeons other than the court with a chance to infect party members with their attacks. That way you would be less inclined to dismiss them because you could just be on a normal quest when one of them shows up and infects people you actually care about.

Highwang posted:

So how do I open the locked doors in Crimson Court 2. I've spent 5 hours on that mission today and made almost no headway.

There are keys scattered around the edges of the map that you have to pick up and use on the locked doors. If you retreat with one of the keys you will keep it for the next run so don't worry about that.

Sparticle
Oct 7, 2012

Grognan posted:

lol can't transform a crimson cursed abom. might be an oversight.

I literally just finished a mission with a cursed abomination and I had no problem transforming. Sometimes during bloodlust they act out like they are afflicted and might refuse transform but it isn't hard-coded. I did notice that my abomination transformed briefly to blight another party member which was pretty cool.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Internet Kraken posted:

Is the time limit on Stygian higher with Crimson Court installed? I haven't even beaten the second court mission and already had to visit the drat place 5 times. Seems like it would make the time limit more brutal if it hasn't been extended.

There's a version called 'Bloodmoon difficulty' now which is like Stygian but gives you a longer time limit/casualties allowed. Even still I imagine it to be a pain in the rear end if you're running short on blood and have to send heroes that only have -10% HP in dungeons when the enemies themselves are that much tougher.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
I really like how the Courtyard missions neatly address the base game problem that your heroes tend to rapidly outlevel your town upgrades. Since you can exit the Courtyard at any time without penalty and it saves your progress, you can collect all the loot you can carry and abort, without your team getting xp.

Makaris
May 4, 2009
Gonna reveal myself as scum again, but what are the stalling opportunities in the Courtyard? If it even has a few decent encounters I can't imagine having much trouble taking a level 2 team and full clearing it in one shot?

I am totally just gonna drink and play tonight so I can't stop asking dumb questions solve able by actually getting stuck in.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Makaris posted:

Gonna reveal myself as scum again, but what are the stalling opportunities in the Courtyard? If it even has a few decent encounters I can't imagine having much trouble taking a level 2 team and full clearing it in one shot?

I am totally just gonna drink and play tonight so I can't stop asking dumb questions solve able by actually getting stuck in.

All the enemies are capable of healing themselves and they get much nastier in their 'mosquito' form, so stalling might not be that viable. The more a battle drags on the more your cursed heroes start craving, which requires more blood, which generates more stress when they are bothering their allies, etc. Maybe you can game it, but it seems like there are more things stacked against you now. And the Baron quest is long. I mean extremely long. While it is possible to do it in one go, it was meant for multiple runs. I tried to do it in one run, but it got to the point where I kept juggling so many Death's Doors I decided to finish it off with a healthy party a few weeks later.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
I think it took me 6 or 7 runs to clear out the Baron quest, but I checked out whenever my inventory was full of sweet, sweet loot, and went to every room. There are no large sized new enemies, but you occasionally encounter ghouls and corpse eaters. Stalling a pair of weaker enemies works, if you can outheal them.

Bring shovels; past the second locked gate, there's curios that will provide camp fires. If your dysfunctional heroes don't trigger them first, that is.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Actually you know what? Just bring a Flagellant and a Vestal and you won't really have to stall scum at all. Once the Flagellant gets below 50% health he can use a heal that practically heals half his health back and half an ally's health back, which means he's practically at full health and likely so is the ally. Since his heals are based on the HP of the target, they actually end up healing even more than the Vestal.

Pierre McGuire
Oct 30, 2010
I think they need to tune back the % chance of getting the Crimson Curse. If I encounter 2 CC mobs in a non-courtyard run and get 3 heroes picking up the curse that's probably a bit much. I find myself firing the majority of the characters that get it since it's not really worth all the drawbacks.

The Flagellant is fun as hell though.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Is it mathematically possible to make a pew bleed?

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
It seems like they are having a helluva time balancing it, because there has been a bunch of hotfixes. The problem is how they structured it:

-Your roster will gradually get infected with the Crimson Curse over time. This either forces you to eventually dismiss them or have them waste away if you can't get enough blood.

-Blood is either way too scarce or so abundant that there's never a risk of infected heroes dying outside of the Hamlet. Hard to find a happy medium. Sanguine Vinters is meant to help offset shortages, but this just makes the drop rates themselves harder to balance.

-You need invitations to get into the courtyard, but there's no way to speed up the infestation to the point you can start fighting the mobs that actually drop invitations, and with blood being scarce means you gotta sit there as the whole Hamlet gradually becomes a vampire coven. Then you need to embark on a multi-attempt boss mission to clear the curse off everyone, and the cycle continues.

-Oh and there's this harder wandering boss that's like the Hag on steroids and gets +1 action a round for every cursed hero in your party. Fun!

Pierre McGuire
Oct 30, 2010
The blood drop rates are one thing but I find the biggest problem with the Curse is that the -10% max HP penalty sucks, especially on a squishy hero, and if they are craving/wasting or in bloodlust they will randomly do something stupid as though they are afflicted. There's no real interesting tradeoff if it means they will randomly damage or stress your party or not let you choose their action in battle. It might be okay on a damage dealer but on a vestal or other healer why bother?

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Are the last two CC quests as long as the Baron one? Cause it took me like 5 loving runs. 6 if you count the one where I embarked and immediately had to leave because I forgot THE BLOOD.

Pierre McGuire posted:

The blood drop rates are one thing but I find the biggest problem with the Curse is that the -10% max HP penalty sucks, especially on a squishy hero, and if they are craving/wasting or in bloodlust they will randomly do something stupid as though they are afflicted. There's no real interesting tradeoff if it means they will randomly damage or stress your party or not let you choose their action in battle. It might be okay on a damage dealer but on a vestal or other healer why bother?

Its not supposed to be something you want to keep.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
One thought that occurred to me was that there are several curios that disease you if you don't use the right item. Normally I just skip them entirely if I don't have the correct item to avoid the risk.

But a cursed hero is immune to all other diseases, so you probably don't have anything to lose?

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

YOU CAN NOT BUST THE KRUST

Panfilo posted:

-Your roster will gradually get infected with the Crimson Curse over time. This either forces you to eventually dismiss them or have them waste away if you can't get enough blood.
You mean my drat-near-perfect roster from my Darkest game where everybody is a Legend with 3 locked-in positive quirks & zero negative quirks is gonna get turned into wasting junky vampire? :qq:

quote:

-You need invitations to get into the courtyard, but there's no way to speed up the infestation to the point you can start fighting the mobs that actually drop invitations, and with blood being scarce means you gotta sit there as the whole Hamlet gradually becomes a vampire coven. Then you need to embark on a multi-attempt boss mission to clear the curse off everyone, and the cycle continues.

We keep coming back to Joseph Anderson's criticism of DD and how much of a grind it can be. Isn't that what you're describing, basically? Again, I haven't played the DLC, I could be totally wrong.

quote:

-Oh and there's this harder wandering boss that's like the Hag on steroids and gets +1 action a round for every cursed hero in your party. Fun!
That doesn't sound like a good time. How difficult would you say it is, on a scale from 1-5? 5 being a Champion Shambler that ambushes you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Jedah posted:

You mean my drat-near-perfect roster from my Darkest game where everybody is a Legend with 3 locked-in positive quirks & zero negative quirks is gonna get turned into wasting junky vampire? :qq:

It depends, they keep fiddling with the drop rates for blood. Cursed heroes that go out get cravings much faster (felt like even more frequent that hunger tics). There's an item that keeps a hero from dying from it (dead rat) but I've only found one so far.

quote:

We keep coming back to Joseph Anderson's criticism of DD and how much of a grind it can be. Isn't that what you're describing, basically? Again, I haven't played the DLC, I could be totally wrong.
I think the main complaint is people paid :10bux: for new content, but it wants you to grind through content you already played over and over just to get to the fun, new stuff. Personally I wish there was an alternate mission you could always take so you can at least fight vampires whenever you wanted and didn't have to wait for the infestation level to creep up again.

quote:

That doesn't sound like a good time. How difficult would you say it is, on a scale from 1-5? 5 being a Champion Shambler that ambushes you.

Its like as potentially difficult Champion Shambler that gets an extra action for every cursed hero. So 4 cursed heroes getting attacked by him means he's getting four actions a round I believe.