Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

FizFashizzle posted:

UNLESS ITS TO KEEP ROME YOU FUCKERS

Or Deadwood ...or Carnivale

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
that dogg is adorbs

also i'm tired of all this winning, etc

https://twitter.com/washingtonpost/status/878030100481982464

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

FizFashizzle posted:

HBO also has.....magical money from places besides TW that no one really understands.

RIGHT?!:argh:

I wanted a prequel "Marius vs. Sulla" season.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Caros posted:

Slander, technically.

Oliver isn't going to get gawkered. Gawker got hosed up because they publicly released a celebrity sex tape. Whether or not you agree with the decision to legally obliterate them for it, that is the sort of thing a person could reasonably expect could lead to severe legal issues.

Last week tonight pointed out a lot of publicly available information about lovely business practices, and publicly made fun of someone. There isn't a winnable case there, and it will likely be dropped a year or two down the line when either the defendant or the courts realize how loving stupid it is.

It is more of a scientology lawsuit, where the goal is to harass and intimidate into silence, not bankrupt the company. The problem is that HBO has a budget for this and gives no fucks. They will probably even countersue for the cost of their legal fees, and win when all is said and done.

Ahh that's not as fun. That kind of poo poo doesn't work when the person they're sueing as access to actual legal counsel. Nice work hopefully those coal fuckers lose and cut more from their ehs.

I only brought up NYT because they're pretty good about libel.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

And they seem to be getting smaller as they go on. Lots of half full stadiums.

Are we talking like "Air Force Base Near Tacoma" level, or "Stonehenge replica 18" tall" level?

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

lol trump is going to black bag johnny depp

http://www.mediaite.com/trump/johnny-depp-asks-british-festival-crowd-when-was-the-last-time-an-actor-assassinated-the-president/

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep

Caros posted:

It is more of a scientology lawsuit, where the goal is to harass and intimidate into silence, not bankrupt the company. The problem is that HBO has a budget for this and gives no fucks. They will probably even countersue for the cost of their legal fees, and win when all is said and done.

Yes. You've hit the twin points that most easily summarize the safe position that Oliver is in.

1. No underlying prosecutable event

2. No vulnerability to litigious barratry

The structural position that HBO has to work on here (and their patience) means that the suit will likely backlash on them in countersuit.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

If my 60 year old mother is anything to go by this is what would actually cause open rebellion in the streets.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

This isn't even the craziest thing Depp did that afternoon.

Faustian Bargain
Apr 12, 2014

If this bill passes, Trump needs to be anchored firmly to it by 2020. Trumpcare is the easiest messaging in the world.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
At least HBO has expressed remorse over cancelling Rome. But now they've overcompensated by leaning in soo loving hard into GoT that the entire network is now built around it. They are working on 5 spinoff series.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

FizFashizzle posted:

HBO also has.....magical money from places besides TW that no one really understands.

game of thrones and westworld make a fuckton apparently.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

is comey unsatisfied at the speed in which our elected officials are working to stop a literal treasonous president?

i have no idea, but

https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/878062498909442048

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

At least HBO has expressed remorse over cancelling Rome. But now they've overcompensated by leaning in soo loving hard into GoT that the entire network is now built around it. They are working on 5 spinoff series.

It's actually a pretty decent strategy - throw 5 of them against the wall and there's a good chance one (or more) will stick as well as the original.

BardoTheConsumer
Apr 6, 2017

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

It's actually a pretty decent strategy - throw 5 of them against the wall and there's a good chance one (or more) will stick as well as the original.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought they had five ideas and they were going to write them all and pick one

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

oh man, you are stepping in to some dangerous derail territory here my friend

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

Data Graham posted:

Are we talking like "Air Force Base Near Tacoma" level, or "Stonehenge replica 18" tall" level?

Puppet Show and Trump Rally.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

yeah. i can guess 2 of them already. one will be the dunk and egg stories and the other will be roberts rebellion or some poo poo.

skylined! posted:

is comey unsatisfied at the speed in which our elected officials are working to stop a literal treasonous president?

i have no idea, but

hmm interesting. maybe new exclusive.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

You know if it wouldn't be such a bitch for the archivists, I wouldn't mind if all bills or votes had to be recorded on poster boards like that. Think silent auction paddles, but more obnoxious.

skylined! posted:

i have no idea, but

Turns out it wasn't a pee tape at all, but a DVD and Comey is dropping off a burned copy.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Priapus Unbound posted:

Meanwhile, Barack Obama just made a public statement on this which is something he said he was unlikely to do.

https://www.facebook.com/barackobama/posts/10154996557026749

Poetic platitudes are really weak in TYOOL 2017, especially after making a public display of vacationing with billionaires and getting Wall Street checks to cash in on his resume after eight years of missing the mark.

He needs to straight up explicitly say "People are going to die in droves from this, assholes " and drop the mic. But that's fundamentally not who Obama actually is. :sigh:

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

lol they really are going to try and sell off alaska, aren't they

https://twitter.com/Alyssa_Milano/status/877993176820101120

also sidenote, does anyone care that i post a lot of tweets? i think this thread prefers that to be party plane jones' thing however they usually feel relevant

edit: like this one (lol'ing a lot over here)

https://twitter.com/TrumpSupport13/status/877976324140183553

skylined! fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Jun 23, 2017

Raylen
Aug 1, 2003

You just killed the nice deranged chick from the juice bar that I was gonna score with someday maybe!
Pillbug

skylined! posted:

i have no idea, but

see? he's a leaker :suicide:

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

Poetic platitudes are really weak in TYOOL 2017, especially after making a public display of vacationing with billionaires and getting Wall Street checks to cash in on his resume after eight years of missing the mark.

He needs to straight up explicitly say "People are going to die in droves from this, assholes " and drop the mic. But that's fundamentally not who Obama actually is. :sigh:

He has done more to help other human beings in one hour than you have your entire life, you self-congratulating lazy gently caress.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Five? Dunk and Egg, Aegon's conquest, Dance of the Dragons, Robert's Rebellion, and the Blackfyre Rebellion?

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Nothus posted:

Five? Dunk and Egg, Aegon's conquest, Dance of the Dragons, Robert's Rebellion, and the Blackfyre Rebellion?

Arya and the Hounds buddy cop adventure.

Here I thought Trump likes leakers.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Nothus posted:

No. GRRM literally said none of these are the spin-offs they're working on. It's just gonna be a bunch of poo poo no one wants to see on TV.

Ever Disappointing
May 4, 2004

skylined! posted:

This...should not be too surprising. Russia has been wanting Alaska back ever since they sold it and they have a puppet installed as the US president, ergo this is a likely goal of theirs, for real

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Nothus posted:

Andal Conquest

The Long Night

The Night's King

There is about a billion or so things they could do. Recorded Human history on Planetos is longer than the recorded history on Earth.

Nerd hijack best hijack

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

skylined! posted:

https://twitter.com/Alyssa_Milano/status/877993176820101120

also sidenote, does anyone care that i post a lot of tweets? i think this thread prefers that to be party plane jones' thing however they usually feel relevant

edit: like this one (lol'ing a lot over here)

https://twitter.com/TrumpSupport13/status/877976324140183553

Nah, I like looking for the tweets and ignore all the derails. Keep posting the tweets.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

WampaLord posted:

If literally every candidate is going to be a Wall Street candidate, why bother voting for them?

Yes, exactly. Then people are stumped ITT as to why Democratic turn out is so depressed despite pumping millions of dollars into races.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

A lovely Reporter posted:

He has done more to help other human beings in one hour than you have your entire life, you self-congratulating lazy gently caress.

Lol okay, after GOTV work for Obama in 2012, lobbying for Medicaid expansion in Ohio in 2014, and GOTV work for Hillary in 2016. Try again.

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Jun 23, 2017

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

WampaLord posted:

If literally every candidate is going to be a Wall Street candidate, why bother voting for them?

Presumably people who care about issues other than litmus test on Wall Street.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

Lol okay, after GOTV work for Obama in 2012, pushing for Medicaid expansion in Ohio in 2014, and GOTV work for Hillary in 2016. Try again.

i uh, think you missed the point

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde
Well it's not like our 15 foot tall former FBI director can really sneak anywhere...

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Comey also spotted walking up drive to Huffington estate in CA.

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

Lol okay, after GOTV work for Obama in 2012, pushing for Medicaid expansion in Ohio in 2014, and GOTV work for Hillary in 2016. Try again.

Barack Obama has done more to help other human beings in one hour than you have your entire life.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Jun 23, 2017

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Delthalaz posted:

Well it's not like our 15 foot tall former FBI director can really sneak anywhere...

If they had just put up some drapes by the entrance

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Majorian posted:

Yeah that's true actually. There would be so much more talk about it in the media than was the case with Trump too.

Couple pages back but lol. The media narrative during the entire election was 90% "Trump said x"

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.

FizFashizzle posted:

Someone should sell show cancellation insurance. Just get enough people to buy it, and if they cancel it insurance kicks in and produces the next season

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

EwokEntourage posted:

Someone should sell show cancellation insurance. Just get enough people to buy it, and if they cancel it insurance kicks in and produces the next season

That's called Kickstarter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FUCK SNEEP
Apr 21, 2007

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

If they had just put up some drapes by the entrance

That might be my favorite story of this whole fiasco. But that's probably because I watched the video of that meeting for the first time after I read the story and it cracked me the gently caress up

• Locked thread