Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Pander posted:

I want a Democratic candidate who repeatedly yells two things over and over again

1 Medicare for all

2 Trump is a lying sack of poo poo and the GOP are a bunch of enabling cowards.

Stop with the nuance
stop with the "see my website for my stances!"
Just loving make volume and be angry.

It's the only way to beat Trump.

The next Democratic Candidate will almost certainly support Medicare for all. I don't think anyone could make it through a dem primary without it, especially after AHCA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RasperFat
Jul 11, 2006

Uncertainty is inherently unsustainable. Eventually, everything either is or isn't.

Petr posted:

Individual cops don't, but a lot of departments are funded by the war on drugs.

Edit: to say nothing of the prison industry

Trabisnikof posted:

Doesn't matter what the rank and file think, it matters if the Local Police Association is running ads against your candidate or not.

Don't these organizations already pull for Republicans almost all the time though? It rings like a lot of the arguments against progressive policies where if you actually fight for them more people show up and the same assholes keep complaining at the same max volume they never turn down.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Petr posted:

Al Franken was on the Blabbermouth podcast and apparently they asked him if he's going to run. Haven't listened to it yet though.

Everyone's going to say no, the last thing we want is to give the GOP in general a great big target. That being said Franken 2020.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

TARDISman posted:

Everyone's going to say no, the last thing we want is to give the GOP in general a great big target. That being said Franken 2020.

I couldn't sleep on Tuesday night and I read about half of his newest book. It's actually really great.

Petr
Oct 3, 2000

TARDISman posted:

I'd love to vote for Al Franken, but there is a TON of oppo on stuff he's said in the past before his political career. The first election he won by the skin of his teeth was incredibly negative, with people calling him a rapist and stuff.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

RasperFat posted:

Don't these organizations already pull for Republicans almost all the time though? It rings like a lot of the arguments against progressive policies where if you actually fight for them more people show up and the same assholes keep complaining at the same max volume they never turn down.

The point is that for Congressional races, where legalization won't be effected by the outcome of the race, it doesn't help you get out the vote to adopt the position but it can help you get on some right-wing PAC hit list to prove a point.

By all means, candidates should support legalization if they already do, but the idea that Congressional candidates should change their opinion on legalization to GOTV doesn't make sense.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Al would make a very good Vice President, even if he wouldn't have the Senate clout Biden had.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Hellblazer187 posted:

I couldn't sleep on Tuesday night and I read about half of his newest book. It's actually really great.

Al Franken's books are what got me to start giving a poo poo about politics during the Dubya years, I'm really glad to hear the new one's good.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Petr posted:

I'd love to vote for Al Franken, but there is a TON of oppo on stuff he's said in the past before his political career. The first election he won by the skin of his teeth was incredibly negative, with people calling him a rapist and stuff.

Oh word oppo? We're in the age of trump now

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Just nominate someone with charisma and a personality. That's more than half the battle.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Trabisnikof posted:

The point is that for Congressional races, where legalization won't be effected by the outcome of the race, it doesn't help you get out the vote to adopt the position but it can help you get on some right-wing PAC hit list to prove a point.

By all means, candidates should support legalization if they already do, but the idea that Congressional candidates should change their opinion on legalization to GOTV doesn't make sense.

I think it would work if they couched it as, "Let's stop the drug war, so we don't have to keep wasting your tax bucks by throwing non-violent offenders into the prison system."

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

nachos posted:

Dem voters are dumb as poo poo and care about decency lol

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Hellblazer187 posted:

I've been listening to the audiobook on my way to and from work. Sometimes I'll look for excuses to run errands so I can listen to more of it. It's so drat good, my first vote was for him and I'm super happy about it. :allears:

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Homeless Friend posted:

Dem voters are dumb as poo poo and care about decency lol

Yeah that's true actually. There would be so much more talk about it in the media than was the case with Trump too.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

nachos posted:

"This just in: Trump accuses Franken of Rape for the 29th time, we now cut to Trump's comments..."

ThisIsWhyTrumpWon
Jun 22, 2017

by Smythe
I think Al Franken is a bad option for president.

Petr
Oct 3, 2000

nachos posted:

Oppo still works on Democrats.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Pander posted:

He said no, which is the only sane answer a person can give at this point in time.

RE: relatability

Americans who COULD be convinced to vote for Democrats but usually don't voted for Trump because they want someone who can scream at stuff convincingly

Obama could. Bernie could. trump could. Hillary couldn't.

Whoa whoa whoa

Obama didn't do angry. He made big loud speeches but he was not a fire and brimstone politician, nor do I think it likely that he could have succeeded as one. That might be what we need now, but it sure wasn't Obama.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

ThisIsWhyTrumpWon posted:

I think you're a bad troll rereg.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
Trump is going to accuse literally everyone of rape that runs against him.

LOL if you don't realize this.

Rape will probably be the least offensive thing he tries to accuse them of.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Jaxyon posted:

I mean, he did accuse Hillary of all people of infidelity.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

ThisIsWhyTrumpWon posted:

He's...the comedy option

Petr
Oct 3, 2000

Jaxyon posted:

Yeah, but most of them won't have hours of recordings of them saying "offensive" things.

Look, I like Franken, I just think that's something that needs to be taken into consideration.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Petr posted:

Yeah, but most of them won't have hours of recordings of them saying "offensive" things.

Look, I like Franken, I just think that's something that needs to be taken into consideration.

:agreed: The primaries might be, ahem, difficult for him.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Petr posted:

I don't think Franken plays well against a trump, he's not really charismatic. I'm just saying that Trump Holding On Desperately To Office is going to plumb some new depths.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

boner confessor posted:

*candidate narrowly defeated in closest election in recent memory* "ugh this isn't working, HUGE electoral losses!"

This isn't kindergarten. There are no participation trophies. You either win or lose. "Narrow defeat" is still a defeat.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

enraged_camel posted:

This isn't kindergarten. There are no participation trophies. You either win or lose. "Narrow defeat" is still a defeat.

You're right this isn't kindergarten, and that shiny pebble is a nice to have, not a must have.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

enraged_camel posted:

By the margins that the electorate seems to be shifting a "narrow defeat" in one area means a "solid victory" in another.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Boon posted:

You're right this isn't kindergarten, and that shiny pebble is a nice to have, not a must have.

If you want to win, sometimes you must promise the shiny pebble.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Jaxyon posted:

Well yeah, he's a rapist and protection is all he does

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Petr posted:

yeah, really what sunk obama was all that oppo about jeremiah wright, the choom gang, saul alinsky, his nefarious chicago connections, to say NOTHING of his madrassa upbringing as a kenyan muslim terrorist!

that oppo stuff sure is killer

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Majorian posted:

If you want to win, sometimes you must promise the shiny pebble.

But you shouldn't throw a tantrum if it doesn't work out. At the end of the day, it's just a pebble.

E: Unless you think certain Dem voters are immature and without perspective but need baubles to be happy, then yeah I think we agree.

Boon fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Jun 23, 2017

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Jaxyon posted:

I don't think Franken plays well against a trump, he's not really charismatic. I'm just saying that Trump Holding On Desperately To Office is going to plumb some new depths.

Who'd play better against Trump?

All Duckworth would do is prove that there is more and it is always worse.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Majorian posted:

Yeah that's true actually. There would be so much more talk about it in the media than was the case with Trump too.

In the wise words of that 1 rando Clinton staffer: I'd rather lose than win the way you guys did.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Boon posted:

In a system where those with the most pebbles call the shots, it loving is a must have.

But yeah, with your attitude the Democrats will never make the sort of comeback that can undo the damage this administration is causing.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

enraged_camel posted:

In a system where those with the most pebbles call the shots, it loving is a must have.

But yeah, with your attitude the Democrats will never make the sort of comeback that can undo the damage this administration is causing.

Oh? Did Ij black out and the President dissolved Congress to hold elections Tuesday?

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Jaxyon posted:

Democrats need to run a tall fat white guy with bad hair whose name has been legally changed to 'Donald Trump.'

Just gently caress it at this point.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

By the margins that the electorate seems to be shifting a "narrow defeat" in one area means a "solid victory" in another.

We have no hard evidence that the electorate is shifting by any appreciable amount.

After all, almost all the GA-6 polls favored Ossoff by 1-4%. He lost by 4%.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Boon posted:

Oh? Did Ij black out and the President dissolved Congress to hold elections Tuesday?

I have no idea what you mean.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

enraged_camel posted:

We have no hard evidence that the electorate is shifting by any appreciable amount.

After all, almost all the GA-6 polls favored Ossoff by 1-4%. He lost by 4%.

Georgia is a concern that needs to be examined post-mortum. But at the same time you had a shockingly competitive race in South Carolina that matches up with Montana and Kansas.

And Trump remains about as popular as poison. And the AHCA has an approval rating of 16%.

• Locked thread