Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

SonicRulez posted:

I think I can go ahead and add The Naadam to my list of instances I wish I could replay. That was some fun poo poo. Stormblood has been so drat great.
Its pretty funny that the dynasty warriors duty takes place next to The Bridge of the High Rule Warriors imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fortuitous Bumble
Jan 5, 2007

Freak Futanari posted:

I still think it's a weird choice. You don't get experience if you wipe in POTD. If you vote abandon a LDR halfway through, you don't get the bonus. Failed FATEs give severely reduced EXP. It just feels weird that they choose to reward failure and success equally in the one competetive aspect of the game

Maybe that's what the PVP mounts were supposed to do, since adding shiny mounts to things seems to be treated by the devs as an ultimate weapon of sorts for getting players to do things they otherwise wouldn't

pissdude
Jul 15, 2003

(and can't post for 6 years!)

Stormblood's been pretty great so far, almost finished with the MSQ. I think my only real gripe with it is how relatively mundane the zones have been compared to HW. We have:

- dusty canyon areas in the form of the peaks and the fringes
- a steppe which while cool is pretty bereft of anything cool aside from the Dawn Throne,
- the Ruby Sea which is mostly featureless aside from the Jenga tower and the volcano
- yanxia which is fairly pretty but pretty bland on the other half of the zone
- the lochs which is actually pretty unique and has a very dark souls-ish vibe to it

i don't dislike any of the zones really and they have a nice vibe in general but I just feel like there's nothing as memorable as the sea of clouds or churning mists, or the crazy sci-fi aesthetic of Azys La

edit: the lochs underwater areas are really loving creepy

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Cythereal posted:

...Helms and hoods in this game have little poke-out bits or holes on races with big ears that stick out. It's adorable and hilarious.

In the earlier gearsets they would have holes to accommodate tails, instead of the current stuff where the tail just clips. Feels lazy, though I guess it isn't as bad as a large amount of shirts that just make your character have a 0 bust size.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

Fortuitous Bumble posted:

Maybe that's what the PVP mounts were supposed to do, since adding shiny mounts to things seems to be treated by the devs as an ultimate weapon of sorts for getting players to do things they otherwise wouldn't

Yeah, when the Garo event was introduced, PvP was at its peak imo, since it brought in more players who were also motivated to win.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Freak Futanari posted:

This is why i'm hoping they'll severely nerf PvP EXP

http://i.imgur.com/xnMKGm9.gifv

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe
Where do I find my progress on the third garo mount? I've got the gold and silver horses but not sure how to get the black one.

El Cid
Mar 17, 2005

What good is power when you're too wise to use it?
Grimey Drawer
I am motivated to win, but I like that I don't have to get frustrated if my GC gets 3rd place (again).

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

Frontlines is great and I posted an exp chart for it yesterday (check my most recent post history in this thread). Feast or whatever it's called is good if you have a coordinated group to rapidly throw games, though I don't know the exact exp values per game.

Dungeon grinding is also good if you're a tank/healer/have people that are those roles and can cart your rear end around.

My strategy is to just pvp on a class/role I enjoy and then kill myself when a team hits 1400ish and switch to the one I want exp on. This makes it much more pleasant to do.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Intoluene posted:

Where do I find my progress on the third garo mount? I've got the gold and silver horses but not sure how to get the black one.

You need a more wins in either mode.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Freak Futanari posted:

I still think it's a weird choice. You don't get experience if you wipe in POTD. If you vote abandon a LDR halfway through, you don't get the bonus. Failed FATEs give severely reduced EXP. It just feels weird that they choose to reward failure and success equally in the one competetive aspect of the game

And that's actually a really frustrating part of POTD. LDR you can try again if you die, replace people who dip.

I kind of agree that there might be issues with people giving no effort since its xp win or loss, but I've gotten the impression the more rewards you attach to winning, the more likely you'll frustrate players since it's not like a single player can carry the team to victory.

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Fun Shoe

KoB posted:

You need a more wins in either mode.

Oh, cool, both count. I'm still not sure where to find the progress on the cheevo, though. Looked everywhere for the achievement that gives it.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

Oxyclean posted:

And that's actually a really frustrating part of POTD. LDR you can try again if you die, replace people who dip.

I kind of agree that there might be issues with people giving no effort since its xp win or loss, but I've gotten the impression the more rewards you attach to winning, the more likely you'll frustrate players since it's not like a single player can carry the team to victory.

Yeah, that's a good point. Maybe they could scale exp based on people's degree of participation, by looking at their damage, kills, healing, etc. compared to the rest of the team, but that'd be really tricky to balance fairly. It's not like giving EXP in PvP is inherently bad, i'm just getting tired of all the people who "guard the base" (AFK) the entire match, or who start repeatedly feeding the moment another team gets ~200 points ahead.

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Hey, are you listening to a word I'm saying?

Freak Futanari posted:

I figure they wanted to drum up interest and get people running it to prove their overhaul is a success, and there's no better way than to make rewards less of a gamble. If it wasn't guaranteed best experience per unit time folks would just gently caress off to whatever was. Lord knows I would. I'm not trifling with some suboptimal bullshit when I have a million classes to level.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I can kiiiiiind of almost agree with the argument that it's bad design to encourage people to play PVP who have no desire to actually "play" the game mode, because it's going to potentially fill it up with a bunch of clueless chucklefucks who are just there to run out the clock and get their XP for PVE and make the game mode less fun for people who actually care about PVP

However, as a chucklefuck, I hope they never nerf it

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I agree that the current reward scheme doesn't deter bad sportsmanship but I don't think the solution is an across-the-board nerf of the rewards. I honestly haven't seen more than half a dozen idlers in frontlines in any game I've played. Not really enough to say it was definitely the reason we lost. I certainly don't care if I win or lose, but I'm in it for the exp and because it is fun, and I can see being frustrated if you're in it to win it.

Please don't nerf my sweet PVP exp

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

Mordiceius posted:

Feels bad when you run out of leves. :negative:

did you forget to do HQ turn ins to your grand companies the past week or something? step it up, slacker

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

Ainsley McTree posted:

I can kiiiiiind of almost agree with the argument that it's bad design to encourage people to play PVP who have no desire to actually "play" the game mode, because it's going to potentially fill it up with a bunch of clueless chucklefucks who are just there to run out the clock and get their XP for PVE and make the game mode less fun for people who actually care about PVP

However, as a chucklefuck, I hope they never nerf it

As someone that liked previous PvP: i'll take people who aren't trying their hardest over 15-60 minute queues any day. All the tryhard usually relegate themselves to the feast anyways (which btw, season 5 needs to start so I can group queue the 4 player mode, it's so good). And taking into account armory bonus, it's probably not the absolute fastest method to level, it just makes leveling over all easier because you can further break up the monotony of the same dungeon or PotD more.

At this point I'd maybe enjoy a ranked 8v8v8 frontline mode to match the ranked 4v4 feast mode

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Been playing a few hours straight now without any crashes, so fingers crossed things will be fine.

Thank you for the help!

VHGS
Jul 24, 2013

Intoluene posted:

Oh, cool, both count. I'm still not sure where to find the progress on the cheevo, though. Looked everywhere for the achievement that gives it.

I spent like 10 minutes looking the other day because I was confused about this exact thing. The achievement you're looking for is "Furious Fatalities," about 10 from the bottom of the Battle > Battle category.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Freak Futanari posted:

As someone who ground up pvp rank long before SB was released, I guarantee you the levels of idiocy you see are normal.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

Failboattootoot posted:

As someone who ground up pvp rank long before SB was released, I guarantee you the levels of idiocy you see are normal.

Well, i was just at PvP rank 48 when SB was released, so.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Freak Futanari posted:

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Oh btw to whoever asked about Kan-E-Senna's bodyguard, the EE doesn't mention him at all. Closest you get is Kan's profile mentioning she didn't discriminate in her efforts to save lives at Cartenau in the wake of the Calamity.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Failboattootoot posted:

There are definitely way more base guarders now

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
I've also noticed a lot more back-capping going on so I don't really mind it, except for the one time both of the 2 healers in my entire raid were guarding back-caps. trust me when I tell you second wind is NOT enough healing.

that's also the game where I had the most damage taken by like 20k and I was playing loving Samurai.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Whelp, just beat the final boss.

Short summary: If you thought Thordan or Nidhogg was a spectacle... :stonk:

Thern
Aug 12, 2006

Say Hello To My Little Friend

Freak Futanari posted:

Whoa who bought Tanaka an SA account?

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

I'm having trouble putting my finger on why SCH feels so bad, but I think it's that I have very little to do and the only good parts of my kit all require aetherflow. Bane still requiring aetherflow despite losing miasma 2, blizzard, and a good shadow flare feels absurd.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

queeb posted:

it's really fun and im enjoying it a lot. Thunder IV is amazing to fire off in dungeons. I'm only 67 so I have cheaper flare and foul to look forward to so things are just gonna get better.

You can basically do a blizz 3, blizz 4, thunder IV, fire III, fire 2, fire 2, triple cast flare, flare, convert, flare. you can probably swiftcast a foul in there as well to give you 4 instant huge AOE bombs. and its only a 90 sec cooldown.

I have some good news. Max-ether drops in dungeons now, and it's enough MP to cast an extra flare at level 70.

Ask me how opening a trash fight with foul + flare + flare + flare + flare went...

nuru posted:

I'm having trouble putting my finger on why SCH feels so bad, but I think it's that I have very little to do and the only good parts of my kit all require aetherflow. Bane still requiring aetherflow despite losing miasma 2, blizzard, and a good shadow flare feels absurd.

SCH is really nice as raid healer now, you bring infinite MP and shitloads of instant heals through lustrate, indom and excog (which is a pre-castable lustrate with 50 more potency). Shields haven't been nerfed at all either and can still produce silly poo poo through crit -> deploy.

For dungeons it's turbotrash though. The AOE nerf was dumb and keeping a tank up in a big pack of trash is literally impossible unless you're overgeared. Mind this is just my experience up to level 69.

Truga fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Jun 23, 2017

ndub
Jun 9, 2007

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

So a few things I've noticed on AST.

Aspected benefic is loving expensive. 1440 MP at 70, vs 480 for benefic. It costs as much as helios.
Collective Unconsciousness seems to break as soon as I cast it a lot. Might be lag related, but it fails half the time for me now.
I've used Redraw during really laggy times, and it's given me the same card back. I haven't seen it happen when things are working nice, but it was pretty common over the weekend.

Tanks like moving out of Earthly Star. This is the best use of Rescue I've found so far.

the thing with CU is that it breaks if you turn your character with right click, and it waits until the next server tick to apply it's regen. you have to pop it, hands off the game, (generally on top of the person you want to put the regen on) and wait up to 3 sec. it's a free, strong regen but you definitely have to plan ahead a little to use it right. same deal for anybody running in late, they won't get the regen until the next tick

the cost increase to asp bene is a little extreme but you are level 70, the cost of that is not going to go up any more, but you will get more mp/mind with gear and feel the increased cost less

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Yeah, while it isn't as important, flamethrower for MCH has the same sort of issue where if you so much as turn in place it instantly breaks. I get the feeling their tech for channeled abilities is something of a kludge.

Depths
Apr 15, 2009

SENPAI
Is there a guide for the most efficient way to level the DoH?

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

ndub posted:

the thing with CU is that it breaks if you turn your character with right click, and it waits until the next server tick to apply it's regen. you have to pop it, hands off the game, (generally on top of the person you want to put the regen on) and wait up to 3 sec. it's a free, strong regen but you definitely have to plan ahead a little to use it right. same deal for anybody running in late, they won't get the regen until the next tick

the cost increase to asp bene is a little extreme but you are level 70, the cost of that is not going to go up any more, but you will get more mp/mind with gear and feel the increased cost less

I've noticed the right-click turn thing with CU. This is new and super annoying, but the other stuff is old news.

Asp Bene was way too good when it was dirt cheap so I don't mind the change. Just took me by surprise.

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

Truga posted:

SCH is really nice as raid healer now, you bring infinite MP and shitloads of instant heals through lustrate, indom and excog (which is a pre-castable lustrate with 50 more potency). Shields haven't been nerfed at all either and can still produce silly poo poo through crit -> deploy.

For dungeons it's turbotrash though. The AOE nerf was dumb and keeping a tank up in a big pack of trash is literally impossible unless you're overgeared. Mind this is just my experience up to level 69.

Are the WHM/AST folks the dps now in ~real content~?

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Fun Shoe

Depths posted:

Is there a guide for the most efficient way to level the DoH?

Before level 15, just make 1 of everything for the completion bonus. After that, if you don't care how long it takes, use daily GC turn ins and buy the item at high quality or just ask a friend to make it for you. If you're rushing, use leves. Before 50, you'll want to use the ones that make you deliver an item to another location. The ones needing three items are repeatable so they're actually rather efficient on allowances but not your wallet or time of you're crafting them yourself.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I haven't got very far with it, but so far I really like the dark knight changes. It's not near as busy a class as before.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Out of the three times I have run the level 70 story dungeon so far, two of them involved the healer accidentally getting themselves and one of the DPS killed at the final boss by stacking at a bad time.

I have to say, duoing the boss from 40% with a paladin owns pretty hard.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

I've also noticed a lot more back-capping going on so I don't really mind it, except for the one time both of the 2 healers in my entire raid were guarding back-caps.

"base guarders" are basically the honest healers of pvp - they mask being bad or lazy behind vague game theory truisms. the people who stay at your base aren't protecting against backcaps because they're either afk or awful, which is precisely why you see more backcaps now.

that said i dont want them to tie exp to win/loss in pvp because the only meaningful way to individually contribute to 24v24v24 is to play a healer/bard or get lucky with people ignoring you. you can premade (which ive been doing with my fps teammates and being able to just call "red mage left" and have them dead is great fun), but that's hardly a great solution. tying it to participating could be good as long as its a certain, very lenient threshold rather than being relative to the rest of your team. just something to keep people from standing at base or afk-riding their mount off into a corner.

speaking of premades:

Tsurupettan posted:

Feast or whatever it's called is good if you have a coordinated group to rapidly throw games, though I don't know the exact exp values per game.

how? you can only queue with one other person out of a total of 8 players on the team.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
or heck just make a really good sink for Wolf Marks because it's really easy to cap right now if you're leveling off of pvp and have nothing to spend it on. that'd encourage at least a bit more participation because right now marks are worthless