Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
too much dead rat
Nov 7, 2009

You think you're looking at me through some window, when all you're really doing is looking in a mirror.
The discussion has moved past it but I wanted to chime in to say Antichamber is a good rear end game. One of the most innovative and perspective bending puzzle games I have ever played. It's only four dolllars!

Also, I asked before and didn't get an answer so I'm trying again: Anyone play the RE7 dlc? Thoughts? I'm ok with it being short and not having much action so long as I can recapture the feeling of the first half of that game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vasler
Feb 17, 2004
Greetings Earthling! Do you have any Zoom Boots?
Gotta say, I didn't like the controls of Ghost at all. Especially after playing Hollow Knight, which was the metroidvania I've been waiting for since Symphony of the Night. I loved Hollow Knight. Phenomenal game.

Also I saw Wuppo mentioned upthread. It is an incredibly charming and fun game with fantastic music and animations. I loved that game so much. It is an incredible deal for how great it is.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

SilverMike posted:

The 2K series continues to be lovely with stuff randomly being added and taken out every year. If you've got the patience, wait for Fire Pro Wrestling's new game coming to EA on July 10th. Should be infinitely better gameplay-wise.

That's what I was worried about. Thanks I'll add FPW to my wishlist and wait for it to come.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Vasler posted:

Gotta say, I didn't like the controls of Ghost at all. Especially after playing Hollow Knight, which was the metroidvania I've been waiting for since Symphony of the Night. I loved Hollow Knight. Phenomenal game.

I remap almost everything I play! Hollow Knight became WASD + JKL:UI and accordingly Ghost 1.0 already had most of those controls in place, so it was an easy pickup for me. I also don't have to fight muscle memory when it comes to swapping between runs of Spelunky / Risk of Rain / Seraph / etc.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

axeil posted:

I have! I really enjoyed it, and someone was very kind and gifted me XCOM 2 for the Winter Sale. Planning on playing those at some point this year.

You may also enjoy Chroma Squad. I haven't gotten around to playing it yet, but it looks fresh.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

Shadow225 posted:

You may also enjoy Chroma Squad. I haven't gotten around to playing it yet, but it looks fresh.

There's an LP of it floating around in, uh, the LP forum if you want to get a look at it.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

For some reason, I have Dead State, Magic Circle and Mimpi Dreams on my wishlist. Can anyone tell me whether these are any good?

Scratch that - can anyone tell me what these games even are? Because I seriously have no recollection of placing them on my wishlist, much less learning anything about them.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Junior Jr. posted:

Haven't played 1 yet...or Demon's Souls for that matter. I heard they're supposed to be drat good so I'm just getting into them now.
might as well start with 1

if you have the ps3 set up then demons is still very good and playable but you dont need to play it first

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Shadow225 posted:

I heard they are getting around to updating the PC version for current owners to match the ports.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Junior Jr. posted:

Haven't played 1 yet...or Demon's Souls for that matter. I heard they're supposed to be drat good so I'm just getting into them now.

Awesome! posted:

might as well start with 1

if you have the ps3 set up then demons is still very good and playable but you dont need to play it first

Just remember to grab DSFix if you play 1 'cause otherwise it runs at really low internal resolution.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

PlushCow posted:

I was going through my queue and Warhammer 40k Space Marine came up, how is it? I remember playing a demo on my 360 ages ago but can't remember if I liked it or not.

Fun but short game. Fun multiplayer also if people still play it.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
Planescape or Tides of Numenara?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Spring Break My Heart posted:

Planescape or Tides of Numenara?

Planescape has better writing.

TopHatGenius
Oct 3, 2008

something feels
different

Hot Rope Guy
Hyper Light Drifter is blast. Get it if you can/don't have it already.

Gonna hold off on Prey and maybe grab it for the winter sale. I'm looking for an open world game and I'm stuck between GTA V and Watch_Dogs 2. I know that single player mods were just axed for GTA V so negative points for that. I was one of the weird few who liked Watch_Dogs and I heard Watch_Dogs 2 is really really good compared to the first...so maybe it's worth the purchase?

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX
what's the best cave shooter on steam? i remember liking mushihimesama in the arcade but if there's a clearly better alternative that'd be cool

anyway my top steam sale picks:

- factorio
- playerunknowns battleground
- path of exile

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

Mokinokaro posted:

Good news: Atelier Sophie and Firis don't have the time management mechanics (Sophie has one missable event you have to do before the final boss and it's pretty obvious.) They're far from the best of the series but they're fun enough.

I remember seeing an Atelier game (I have no idea which anymore) LPed and it looked interesting with the alchemy stuff. If I was going to get one of the two on Steam this sale which should it be?

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
The cheaper one is the first of a trilogy, and those tend to be standalone for Atelier games, so I'd go for that one. The sixty dollar one is the second game. I've not played either though, only Ayesha, but I enjoyed that a lot.

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem

Zo posted:

anyway my top steam sale picks:

- playerunknowns battleground

Not actually on sale

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Lady Galaga posted:

Not actually on sale

i assume factorio is also not on sale based on prior history and poe is a f2p game. he got you good

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

Junior Jr. posted:

Oh goddammit, FINE! Just ONE MORE game!

Dark Souls 2 or 3?

Dark Souls 2 Scholar of the first Sin because it is a Complete edition and 3 is not and will inevitably get one.

BUT: 2 is in this month's Humble Monthly for 12$ which works out at around 10€, I.e. almost the same price as on steam and you get some other games on top "for free", so I say subscribe to the bundle and then unsubscribe again for an even better value.

That's what I'll do.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Quest For Glory II posted:

Ubisoft's Assassin's Creed sales make no sense anymore

Unity is $20 the same price as Syndicate. no one even likes Unity and its the previous game what in the heck.

Yeah, I'm loving baffled by Unity at $20. Did they not recall the blowback on that, or did a bunch of jerks just buy it at full price and convince them they hadn't completely shat the bed on that one?

katkillad2 posted:

Does anyone know if that River City Ransom: Underground game ever got better with patches? People said it was pretty rough at launch.

It got better. It's certainly not perfect, so a lot of it depends on your fondness for the concept, but they did clean up some of the rougher issues and did a lot of bugfixing.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Yeah, I'm loving baffled by Unity at $20. Did they not recall the blowback on that, or did a bunch of jerks just buy it at full price and convince them they hadn't completely shat the bed on that one?

I got farcry 4 for free from ubisoft because of it.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

Alien Rope Burn posted:

"Whatever, you're still going to buy it" is sadly a tried and true marketing technique for major entertainment businesses the world over. Just ask Games Workshop.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

Xander77 posted:

For some reason, I have Dead State, Magic Circle and Mimpi Dreams on my wishlist. Can anyone tell me whether these are any good?

Scratch that - can anyone tell me what these games even are? Because I seriously have no recollection of placing them on my wishlist, much less learning anything about them.

The Magic Circle is an art game where you're a tester messing around in a very unfinished build of the latest attempt by a Peter Molyneux/Lord British/Chris Roberts style developer to actually release a game and return to fame, so mainly you hunt down conference recordings (in-game for some reason), audiologs and emails from unhappy/broken people while trying to gain access to more content and hacking monsters to fight for you because combat was cut from the game.

Kubrick
Jul 20, 2004

What do you guys think about Halcyon 6: Starbase Commander?

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."
If someone would like to trade Dark Souls 2 for something else, hit me up: http://steamcommunity.com/id/KotyDwa/

I'm getting the humble monthly, but I already have DS2, so...

Also, is it just me or has the store been freezing randomly for the past few weeks for no reason?

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

every sale i almost buy pillars of eternity and then i dont. maybe this time i will

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Awesome! posted:

every sale i almost buy pillars of eternity and then i dont. maybe this time i will

Did you like BG2, NWN2, Kotor 2 and other isometrics? Then yes buy that game 100% and get the expansions too. It takes it time introducing the lore and some of the mechanics are kind of tricky to get at first if you are used to other D&D style systems but once you figure it out you get a pretty great story with some really good combat. One of the most difficult things to get used to is how engagement works but thankfully Eder, the first major NPC you get is the best by far at it. Another is how magical combat is a mix of CC, single target damage, and buffs all taking advantage of one stat or another so you can spec a high str low int wizard and still run the tables once you've mastered the mechanics.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
So are there any daily/flash sales this time around on the Steam sale or is it going to be what you see is what you get until July 5th? Basically wondering if I should pull the trigger now or later.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Mods please change the thread title to "THERE ARE NO DAILIES OR FLASH SALES" thanks

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Xander77 posted:

Dead State is kinda cool. It's got questionable reviews due to earlier versions, I didn't have any complaints when I played it. It's essentially Fallout 2 but zombies and more modern. And you have a lot of NPCs back at the base you need to try to build relationships with, so they will side with you when it comes time to vote on things around the base.

You go out, kill other people or zombies to clear a building out, then loot as much poo poo as you can and bring it home, upgrade the base, talk to people, repeat. Some people need drugs or have depression or whatever other thing you need to be aware of. You can rescue survivors out in the field and bring them home, sometimes they come knocking at the gate and you have to decide, etc. There are other factions with their own bases that you can trade with or go to war with. I like it a lot, actually.

Brick Shipment
Jun 22, 2009

Which STALKER game do I want? Alternatively, does anyone have the STALKER thread link handy?

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

Hopper posted:

I sort of like roguelikes (Shiren the wanderer on the DS for example) for the occasional play and was thinking of getting Swords of the Stars The Pit. I am confused however, there is a gold edition and a bundle that has the gold edition and more dlc. Which one should I get?

And what other good roguelikes are there? (I prefer good graphics, nothing with Ascii code like minimalist stuff, that's just not appealing to me)

Shattered Planet - $2.24 (-85%) - isometric roguelike featuring short runs and progression

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."

StrixNebulosa posted:

Mods please change the thread title to "THERE ARE NO DAILIES OR FLASH SALES" thanks

I wanted to say "Read the OP", but the OP doesn't actually contain this information.

Turd Herder
May 21, 2008

BALLCOCK BALLCOCK BALLCOCK BALLCOCK
Picked up Thimbleweed park and wow that game is hilarious and awesome.

I never knew I liked adventure games.

Highest Cactus
Jul 25, 2007

News: Mysterious illegal cookies seized. "Tastes terrible," says police.

Bought Wolfenstein to get ready for New Order, and Life is Strange because I've been meaning to get it for a while.

Also Galaga because I already play more than a dollar's worth whenever I go out drinking anyway. I'm gonna save so many quarters.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Awesome! posted:

This and Divinity Original Sin, every drat sale. ~$18 is just too much for me to pull the trigger and always has been.

Mugsbaloney
Jul 11, 2012

We prefer your extinction to the loss of our job

Kubrick posted:

What do you guys think about Halcyon 6: Starbase Commander?

I played it for 30 minutes, and haven't gone back. Every single feature that drew me to the game is in practice incredibly bland and poorly implemented, like they described something fun to a robot who did their best to code it in. I can't put my finger on exactly what made it feel so flat and unengaging, but it just didn't do it for me.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

Brick Shipment posted:

Which STALKER game do I want? Alternatively, does anyone have the STALKER thread link handy?

There's three:

Shadow of Chernobyl is the original. With simple modding (I recommend the Zone Reclamation Project for a first time run) it is easily playable with minimal bugs/crashes. It is a well-made FPS set in multiple semi-open connected levels. You are a STALKER, a scavenger trying to eke out a living looking for alien artifacts in the Exclusion Zone formed after the disaster at Chernobyl. Explore the ruins of Chernobyl, shoot mutants, bandits, and other scavengers as you search for artifacts in dangerous environmental anomalies. Play as the Marked One and trek to the center of the Zone, the Chernobyl Nuclear Power Plant, to track down the greatest STALKER of them all, Strelok.

Clear Sky is the black sheep. It takes the original levels of SoC, adds a few new ones, and rewinds the story to an earlier time. STALKERs have just begun to explore the zone, and the rumor is that Strelok found a way to the center and is putting together a team to go back again. It's biggest feature is adding faction warfare which occurs dynamically throughout the map as different groups fight over and capture territory. It's also the buggiest and jankiest to play.

Call of Pripyat is the last and most polished of the series. Instead of many medium-sized maps, it features 3 large playgrounds sprInkled with anomalies and other points of interest. It's the only one of the three games easily playable without mods today. Play as Major Someone or another, a military man sent to investigate goings-on in the Zone. Probably the most forgettable story, but some of the best environments. You're not really playing Stalker for the story, anyway.

If you can only buy one, buy Call of Pripyat, then download Call of Chernobyl, a standalone mod/fan made expansion that takes the Call of Pripyat files and creates a combined game with every map from all 3 games.

If you can get two, also pick up Shadow of Chernobyl. It probably has the best story of all 3 games and is worth a playthrough. I wouldn't recommend Clear Sky until you know if you like STALKER.

Stalker thread:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3572610

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brick Shipment
Jun 22, 2009

Cantorsdust posted:

STALKER stuff

I'll be picking up Pripyat and Chernobyl then! Thanks a bunch for the mod recs.

edit: turns out I may as well get all three, I totally didn't see the bundle and it costs as much as Pripyat and Chernobyl combined.

Brick Shipment fucked around with this message at 10:12 on Jun 23, 2017

• Locked thread