Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

[/color]Keep firing, assholes![/color]

Spaceballs the custom title.
Fun Shoe

business hammocks posted:

People are fighting for their lives. This is not the time to be polite.

Medicaid is the resource that people use to help others who cannot afford their own health, not the other way around. Denying them that organised channel is a lowest blow. Here you have a group of people not only willing to defund Medicaid, but to dismantle the whole loving thing.

This is worth being furious about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

RuanGacho posted:

Theyre lucky people arent trying to murder them to prevent a vote in self defense yet.

Um, hi, you may have been asleep a couple weeks

ThisIsWhyTrumpWon
Jun 22, 2017

by Smythe

RuanGacho posted:

Theyre lucky people arent trying to murder them to prevent a vote in self defense yet.

What the gently caress do you think the baseball shooting was?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

People are fighting for their lives. This is not the time to be polite.

There's always time for fire safety

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

I wrote a letter to my SC senators yesterday.

A devilishly handsome man posted:

Good morning, Senator—

I am intensely concerned about the proposed legislation AHCA. While the current senate proceedings are opaque, the framework upon which this bill presumably rests is profoundly regressive.

It is fait accompli that healthcare in this nation is broken. While you and I almost certainly disagree on the causes of this dysfunction, it is indisputable that healthcare is the most common cause of bankruptcy (http://www.cnbc.com/id/100840148). Yet, in spite of exorbitant government spending on said healthcare, we get very little financial cover and worse patient outcomes (http://www.npr.org/sections/goatsandsoda/2017/04/20/524774195/what-country-spends-the-most-and-least-on-health-care-per-person) than less ‘generous’ nations.

While not perfect, the ACA has been sabotaged by private insurers and states (like ours) unwilling to accept our own federal tax revenues to expand Medicaid. It is unacceptable to decry ACA as broken while simultaneously tearing it to the ground.

I ask you, as my duly-elected senator, to oppose AHCA for two reasons:

A) The process whereby this bill is written is profoundly undemocratic and opaque.
B) The foundation of this bill eliminates financial protection and coverage for not only the most vulnerable among us (particularly the disabled and impoverished), but promises to gut the insurance requirements of employer-sponsored insurance.

I’d like to remind you that those of us without government benefits (like yourself) will not forget how you comport yourself on this matter. Millions of lives are literally at stake.

Thank you,
Stupid Forums Poster LeeMajors

I got a literal form letter from Tim Scott calling Obamacare a failure. Got nothing from Graham.

Red States are great.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
Protests don't work unless it actually hinders people, so the protest that theoretically hinders fire safety is therefore the 2nd most effective one.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Caedus posted:

HOLY poo poo WHAT DID YOU GUYS JUST DO tearing disabled protesters out of their wheelchairs?? What the gently caress??

Yeah I have had to have several beers tonight. I know some of the people that did that protest.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

PhazonLink posted:

Protests don't work unless it actually hinders people, so the protest that theoretically hinders fire safety is therefore the 2nd most effective one.

Be cool about fire safety

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

Jaxyon posted:

Defamation.

They're suing him, HBO, and Time Warner.

Yeah I dunno if they're scared

HBO and Time Warner both have deeper pockets than Murray and Murray Energy. They're the 5th largest coal company in the United States. 3 of the 4 larger coal companies in the US have declared bankruptcy in the past 2 years.

Edit:

Javes posted:

I love as soon as he hears the word 'healthcare' Chuck immediately starts packing up his things and gets the gently caress out there lol what a coward.

https://twitter.com/TopherSpiro/status/877994824779022336

What was Grassley expecting? He's waiting for his non-stop flight to Iowa on a random bench before security. This also means he's probably too cheap to spring for an Admirals Club membership, which would basically guarantee that he wouldn't be bothered in the club before his flight.

Lote fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Jun 23, 2017

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

WeAreTheRomans posted:

So much for Republicans supporting the 2nd Amendment...

:hf:

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

LeeMajors posted:

I got a literal form letter from Tim Scott calling Obamacare a failure. Got nothing from Graham.

Red States are great.

That's not what fait accompli means; fait accompli is a noun and means something that is already done, usually before anyone who might otherwise have been involved knows about it.

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

Can I get a gently caress DONALD TRUMP?

Playstation 4
Apr 25, 2014
Unlockable Ben
gently caress DONALD TRUMP?

:thejoke:

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004
How's Italy doing now that Silvio Berlusconi is gone? Might be a good preview of USA

https://www.washingtonpost.com/posteverything/wp/2015/09/21/donald-trump-is-americas-silvio-berlusconi/

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

LeeMajors posted:

Red States are great.

You should call their offices! You can usually speak with their legislative aide and that has a much larger impact than a letter.

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos
Does he know there's a difference between talking about something and doing it?

What am I talking about, of course not.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I kind of want us to build a wall, but like a wall like the Great Wall of China. Like something you could walk on the middle of . Sorry .

Not sorry itd be kind of neat

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Grapplejack posted:

So I looked up what the gently caress he was talking about

https://twitter.com/SarahZuks/status/877908699171364864
https://www.washingtonpost.com/loca...m=.a41bdb5e56e5

My personal opinion is that doing that in a hallway is a bad idea, like if there was a fire or a bomb threat or something. There's no way they got a permit for that, I can't imagine they let people do indoor protests.

...that video on the WP article..... I want to do my part but people are talking about contacting your senators and stuff. I live in Texas. My senator is Ted Cruz and some other guy. I actually don't know Cruz's healthcare policies but based on everything else I do know about him, a call feels like a waste of breath.

So I dunno what else to do.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Hollismason posted:

I kind of want us to build a wall, but like a wall like the Great Wall of China. Like something you could walk on the middle of . Sorry .

Not sorry itd be kind of neat

We'll be lucky to get a wall made out of duct tape and screen doors with the way this administration is half-assing campaign promises.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

NikkolasKing posted:

...that video on the WP article..... I want to do my part but people are talking about contacting your senators and stuff. I live in Texas. My senator is Ted Cruz and some other guy. I actually don't know Cruz's healthcare policies but based on everything else I do know about him, a call feels like a waste of breath.

Call Cruz and tell him the bill isn't evil enough, call Cornyn and tell him the bill is too evil. :v:

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Just keep sending letters made of cyphers to Ted Cruz he'll respond eventually.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

NikkolasKing posted:

He's currently against it because it doesn't kill enough people. Call and tell him to stay strong.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Javes posted:

I love as soon as he hears the word 'healthcare' Chuck immediately starts packing up his things and gets the gently caress out there lol what a coward.

https://twitter.com/TopherSpiro/status/877994824779022336

Remember, this was the piece of poo poo who democrats let write MAJOR parts of the bill and then to reward them he became one of the loudest people spreading the "death panels" lie.

LeeMajors posted:

Red States are great.

I wonder how Tim Scott feels being the useful token who southern racists use to feel like they aren't racist. Do you think he realizes he's that?

mcmagic fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Jun 23, 2017

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

So as a Canadian living in the US with US healthcare does it matter if I call a Senator to complain or will they go "non-citizen, can't vote, seeya"

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Huh. There are fifteen members of Congress that are physicians. Thirteen of them are Republican white males.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Pleads posted:

So as a Canadian living in the US with US healthcare does it matter if I call a Senator to complain or will they go "non-citizen, can't vote, seeya"

The latter.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Pleads posted:

It's not like they actually track you down and verify your citizenship. Just say you're from wherever you're living.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

You just usually say your zip code and state your policy position.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
My zip code is Deez Nutz and my policy is full communism now

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009

You just usually say your zip code and state your policy position.

Or don't because we don't want to give them "Them liberals are shipping in Canadians now!" ammunition.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

maskenfreiheit posted:

How's Italy doing now that Silvio Berlusconi is gone? Might be a good preview of USA

https://www.washingtonpost.com/posteverything/wp/2015/09/21/donald-trump-is-americas-silvio-berlusconi/

I heard a piece from public radio where some Italian said this during the summer of 2016.

LOL humans are trash.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Call Cruz and tell him the bill isn't evil enough, call Cornyn and tell him the bill is too evil. :v:

This is an actual good idea

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Grapplejack posted:

So I looked up what the gently caress he was talking about

https://twitter.com/SarahZuks/status/877908699171364864
https://www.washingtonpost.com/loca...m=.a41bdb5e56e5

My personal opinion is that doing that in a hallway is a bad idea, like if there was a fire or a bomb threat or something. There's no way they got a permit for that, I can't imagine they let people do indoor protests.

You're a terrible person.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Fart City posted:

We'll be lucky to get a wall made out of duct tape and screen doors with the way this administration is half-assing campaign promises.

If the difference between campaign promises and the healthcare bill is any indication, we should expect the world's deepest moat.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Grapplejack posted:

I also wish the disabled would be more considerate of others and fold neatly away.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
If there's a fire I don't want people in wheelchairs to slow me down as I race to the exit, leaving all others to their doomed fates.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

EwokEntourage posted:

This is an actual good idea

it's what I did

Cornyn's a monster, but he's the Senate Whip and gives a poo poo about public perception.

Cruz is totally, definitely a normal actual human being and has spent the last seven years positioning himself as the de facto head of the Congressional Tea Party.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Push El Burrito posted:

If there's a fire I don't want people in wheelchairs to slow me down as I race to the exit, leaving all others to their doomed fates.

How many senators would George Costanza their way out if there was a fire?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
On the other hand, if there was a fire, the people who would be trapped behind the wheelchairs and burn to death would probably be Republicans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
I don't think it matters all that much to contact your republican senator. They can probably assume you voted democrat and will go "Eh, you didn't vote for me" and ignore you.

If you're gonna try to contact and convince a senator, you have to flood him out. Make it impossible for him to do anything else but be notified how many thousands of letters, phonecalls, emails and visitors he's getting on the issue.

• Locked thread