Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is going to be your favorite offseason storyline?
This poll is closed.
The Big3 Tourney 67 22.41%
Will Lakers draft Ball 40 13.38%
Where will the Pauls go 54 18.06%
Will LeBron jump ship to the Spurs or ?? 41 13.71%
Will every team in the league just pivot towards tanking 97 32.44%
Total: 210 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
https://twitter.com/RetepAdam/status/878106610865815552

https://twitter.com/Cosmis/status/878107303031050240

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Dexo posted:

There's a reason that most people who win the Lottery end up broke or dead.

Getting lucky doesn't mean poo poo if you don't have the skills to take advantage of it.

Remember when the Cavs were so poorly run that they surprise-drafted a literally worthless player first overall, then got super-ultra-mega bailed out by getting a second consecutive #1 and then the best player in the world deciding he wanted to come back?

Sometimes you can get so obscenely lucky that trying as hard as you can to gently caress it up isn't good enough.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

boxcarhobo posted:

Hey we have the basketball bacon and the football corn, sick. ( real talk can anyone explain frank Jackson for Duane bacon? )

They got cash to move down.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

lol just imagined the expression on hoiberg's face when he learned they traded jimmy for three bench guys and he still has to put up with wade and rondo

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
WHY would you ever sell a pick for cash? WTF is that? Are the Chicago Bulls worried about the imminent merger with the NBA or some poo poo?

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

kingcobweb posted:

Remember when the Cavs were so poorly run that they surprise-drafted a literally worthless player first overall, then got super-ultra-mega bailed out by getting a second consecutive #1 and then the best player in the world deciding he wanted to come back?

Sometimes you can get so obscenely lucky that trying as hard as you can to gently caress it up isn't good enough.

ok touche. But even then That Front Office was competent when Lebron got back even if the Owner was garbage. David Griffin got the coach that wasn't working up out of there, and was able to swing trades and bring in players to improve the team despite having literally zero desirable assets pretty much.

But yeah, they over came that one because a top 3 basketball player of all time just happened to be born near them.

With David Griffin they will at least have a competent gm going forwa......

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

EvanTH posted:

WHY would you ever sell a pick for cash? WTF is that? Are the Chicago Bulls worried about the imminent merger with the NBA or some poo poo?

good news: the free big mac threshold has been lowered to 99 points

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun
Bulls are just selling off picks because they know the league is going to be 3v3 soon anyway. No point having a 15 man roster.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

R.D. Mangles posted:

good news: the free big mac threshold has been lowered to 99 points

You know what I haven't eaten poo poo tonight. I'm bout to go to McDonalds and buy a loving big mac.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

https://twitter.com/ByNateTaylor/status/878099362974511104

:smith: why can't my GM be competent.

https://twitter.com/Cosmis/status/878108381038247937

https://twitter.com/Cosmis/status/878108485660975104

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

chunkles posted:

Bulls are just selling off picks because they know the league is going to be 3v3 soon anyway. No point having a 15 man roster.

bulls maintaining cap flexibility to bring in The Professor

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

oh that's the stupidest loving thing I've read so far

just name anyone and give them a tryout it's a non-guaranteed second round contract what the gently caress

pick someone off a god damned draft board

SpiritOfSanDimas
Oct 31, 2012

So are the Pacers really just gonna keep Paul George for an extremely awkward season

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

EvanTH posted:

It makes sense when teams have too many picks, aren't even gonna entertain carrying 2-3 rookies on their roster, could put that cash toward buyouts or other basketball-related expenditures and can't find anyone to give them a future asset

Unfortunately the Bulls sold an attractive second rounder to the Actual Best Team Of All Time a few hours after they dumped their best player and committed to a rebuild, so,

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

EvanTH posted:

oh that's the stupidest loving thing I've read so far

just name anyone and give them a tryout it's a non-guaranteed second round contract what the gently caress

pick someone off a god damned draft board

They actually made the pick and it was a great pick for the spot

and they sold him to the Warriors

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

kingcobweb posted:

They also got Kyrie by making a savvy trade with the Clippers. They loaded up on assets and used those assets when they got Lebron back to give him help.

The Bennett pick sucked but that draft was also pretty much trash at the top. But other than that they actually did a good job.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

R.D. Mangles posted:

bulls maintaining cap flexibility to bring in The Professor

Do NOT hate, if you wouldn't add a team to your League Pass after they bring in a streetball guy idk what to tell you

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
The Bulls are like a person that bought a house on a subprime mortgage, leased a luxury car and ran up $100k in credit card debt then decided to hit the reset button by selling some T-bonds they inherited from their grandfather on Craigslist for pennies on the dollar.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

kingcobweb posted:

Do NOT hate, if you wouldn't add a team to your League Pass after they bring in a streetball guy idk what to tell you

WHOA BUDDY, I'm extremely pro Professor and anyone who would do streetball moves to incite sasha vujucic into violence

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

https://twitter.com/WojVerticalNBA/status/878110218369998848
ok?

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

xbilkis posted:

It makes sense when teams have too many picks, aren't even gonna entertain carrying 2-3 rookies on their roster, could put that cash toward buyouts or other basketball-related expenditures and can't find anyone to give them a future asset

Unfortunately the Bulls sold an attractive second rounder to the Actual Best Team Of All Time a few hours after they dumped their best player and committed to a rebuild, so,

Remember that the Bulls have one of the smallest front offices in the entire league. Reinsdorf was talking about hiring a consultant to figure out why everyone else had more scouts, trainers, and larger analytic departments. I'm not kidding.

It never makes sense to sell a 2nd round pick that high. You can trade it for a future pick. You can use it to stash a player overseas. But selling it is a move made by cracker jack organizations.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Niwrad posted:

They also got Kyrie by making a savvy trade with the Clippers. They loaded up on assets and used those assets when they got Lebron back to give him help.

The Bennett pick sucked but that draft was also pretty much trash at the top. But other than that they actually did a good job.

The trade they made to get the pick was legit, but that first-round pick had a 2.8% chance of becoming the #1. It was the eighth most-valuable pick in the draft. It was their first of three #1 picks in four years. That's insanely lucky

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch
e: nm

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

R.D. Mangles posted:

WHOA BUDDY, I'm extremely pro Professor and anyone who would do streetball moves to incite sasha vujucic into violence

If I was an NBA GM I would use any second-round pick to take whatever small-college PG with crazy handles who promises to do And1 poo poo in a game. Hire me Connelly. Would Jason Williams take a job as an assistant coach? These are the sorts of questions I'd seek to answer

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

https://twitter.com/Bulls_Jay/status/878111612955054080

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch
It's seriously 100% because of Kris Dunn

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

https://twitter.com/LaurenceWHolmes/status/878113873718427648

Man people really still scapegoating Pax huh..

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

EvanTH posted:

Welcome to the Robert Sarver Experience!

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Dexo posted:

Man people really still scapegoating Pax huh..

He made a lot of connections in the media in this city. They'll always find excuses and buy into his narrative.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
Thank you to all the kind NBA thread posters who were willing to tolerate an extended meltdown from all Bulls fans across multiple threads tonight.

The trade was very bad, though.

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010
Bulls fan reactions to GarPax moves read so much like 49ers fan reactions to Jed York moves that I feel a deep solidarity and brotherhood. I mean it's really funny still, but I know this pain is also my own, and I weep

Lasagna Pilot
Feb 6, 2009

No, you're dark-side intergalactic encyclopedia salesmen. Unfortunately, the home office hasn't been quite upfront with you.
https://twitter.com/Herring_NBA/status/878106802172329984

How

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

they are incompetent negotiators

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

lmao

https://twitter.com/mcten/status/878113277485621248

humpthewind
Jan 8, 2007

Noblest of all dogs is the hot-dog; it feeds the hand that bites it.
Could i get a rundown of the Lakers draft moves outside of Lonzo? I love the Josh Hart pick but know nothing about a Kyle Kuzma or a Thomas Bryant.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

humpthewind posted:

Could i get a rundown of the Lakers draft moves outside of Lonzo? I love the Josh Hart pick but know nothing about a Kyle Kuzma or a Thomas Bryant.

I can tell you Bryant more than likely suuuuuuuuuuucks.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

I don't know what this means.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Salvor_Hardin posted:

I don't know what this means.

Josh Jackson had a workout for the Celtics brass in SAC.

He canceled on them while they were flying to the west coast.

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP

Because the Wolves offer is the only one that had Kris Dunn in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

humpthewind
Jan 8, 2007

Noblest of all dogs is the hot-dog; it feeds the hand that bites it.

SamuraiFoochs posted:

I can tell you Bryant more than likely suuuuuuuuuuucks.

That's unfortunate. He has really long arms, at least.

• Locked thread