Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Pollyanna posted:

That sucks. I liked Ayesha...is Berseria still good?

Berseria is very good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Your Computer posted:

Thanks for the replies! The Trails in the Sky games are pretty cheap on Steam so I might have to try 'em out. How long are the games? I'm the "exhaust every dialogue and fully explore every area" type, so assume that I'll do every optional thing.

Honestly, the two biggest things that have kept me from impulse buying them are the voice acting and character portraits. Dumb and minor things for sure, but we all have our pet peeves :v: I'm still wondering if it's possible to mute or switch out the voices even if it's just combat sounds, since it's the kind of thing that I know will grate on me. Just seeing names like Johnny Bosch sends chills down my spine.
Oh yeah another thing that is neat about these games and can definitely drive up the playtimes for some people is that the NPCs tend to be "active" participants in the story to a degree, in that they change their dialogue and/or locations after many story beats and have their own mini arcs if you bother to talk to them enough. There is a ton of incidental dialogue you can get wrapped up in provided you look for it.

The shortest games (Sky FC, Sky 3rd) I'd say are on average 40-50 hours while the longer games (the rest) will push 80-90. They're definitely not short, overall.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I'm playing Berseria right now and it's a ton of fun.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Your Computer posted:

Thanks for the replies! The Trails in the Sky games are pretty cheap on Steam so I might have to try 'em out. How long are the games? I'm the "exhaust every dialogue and fully explore every area" type, so assume that I'll do every optional thing.

Honestly, the two biggest things that have kept me from impulse buying them are the voice acting and character portraits. Dumb and minor things for sure, but we all have our pet peeves :v: I'm still wondering if it's possible to mute or switch out the voices even if it's just combat sounds, since it's the kind of thing that I know will grate on me. Just seeing names like Johnny Bosch sends chills down my spine.
get over it

Pollyanna posted:

That sucks. I liked Ayesha...is Berseria still good?
berseria is super good. good plot, good combat, amazing character writing. pretty much my only complaints are the dungeons all go on about two rooms too long and the music is very forgettable.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013

Your Computer posted:

I'm a dub-hating weaboo too and I love Cold Steel's voices. Doesn't matter in Sky since its just battle stuff.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Zaggitz posted:

Now that 3rd is actually out in english people need to stop saying this poo poo because its a bold faced lie. 3rd wraps up a bunch of character arcs and functions way more as en epilogue to fc/sc than a side story. It also sets up an incredible amount of stuff for cold steel, zero/ao and the upcoming calvard arc.

It's also extremely good and tied with SC for my favorite trails game.

I agree. It's especially bad that people parroting that 3rd is a side story and can be safely skipped is causing some people to actually skip playing it from what I've seen. The format for the game is certainly different from the first two games but it isn't a side story. It's the conclusion to the first two games and closes off a lot of character arcs from those games which have been built up previously, plus it sets up a whole bunch of foreshadowing for future games like you said to the point that if you skipped 3rd and played Zero/Ao or Cold Steel, you'd have a different and kind of wrong understanding of some of the events that happen in those games.

If you're invested in the Trails series, you absolutely should play 3rd, no question about it.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

I believe you can turn the battle voices off, and if you find the Japanese voice files somewhere you can just drop them into the directory and the game will use them. Google it.

There are undubs for the cold steel games but naturally you need a hacked console to play them. Someone will probably do the voices thing for the pc port when that happens even though that'll be kind of weird because they'll have to add a bunch of just silent files I guess.

lets hang out fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Jun 21, 2017

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Anyone who doesn't feel anything when they listen to To Meet Again Someday when it plays in TC is a cold, cold person monster:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wld2q4mLhYM

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I'll check out Berseria when I get home. I was meaning to grab it earlier, but other games got in the way. Thanks!

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Your Computer posted:

whenever you're about to hear a voiced line in battle, speak over it with the pure and proper Japanese line

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i didn't even notice joshua was voiced by jyb, he's not in the cold steel games and the voice acting in the sky games really isn't noticeable, at all

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I like Olivier's "Your aim, please!" when you select him for your party.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

lets hang out posted:

I believe you can turn the battle voices off, and if you find the Japanese voice files somewhere you can just drop them into the directory and the game will use them. Google it.

There are undubs for the cold steel games but naturally you need a hacked console to play them. Someone will probably do the voices thing for the pc port when that happens even though that'll be kind of weird because they'll have to add a bunch of just silent files I guess.

Thanks! If you can just turn them off I don't know why no one said it sooner :v: If I enjoy the first game I assume I'll be playing through all three Trails in the Sky games before getting to cold steel so that's a long ways off. It's console only for now and coming to PC later?

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Your Computer posted:

Thanks! If you can just turn them off I don't know why no one said it sooner :v: If I enjoy the first game I assume I'll be playing through all three Trails in the Sky games before getting to cold steel so that's a long ways off. It's console only for now and coming to PC later?

Cold Steel is "This summer" as of now. They showed off some achievement art the other day so they are getting close!

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

For what it's worth also, any sky characters that appear in later games will probably re-cast and the new voices backported to the sky trilogy like they did with Bleublanc.

Olivier isn't re-voiced because Troy Baker and Matt Mercer sound the goddamn same.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Pollyanna posted:

Are the PS4 Atelier games any good? Thinking of grabbing Sophie or Firis if they're anything like Ayesha.

I should look into Cold Steel and Berseria too...

They're ok but nothing at all like Ayesha

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

berseria is probably my favorite tales game and i really need to pick it up again. trying to finish nier:a though.. finally got ending a today.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Wow! Such savings? Cannot resist!

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Compile Heart game?

DE
rQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wLRqKPCrz3M

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Raxivace posted:

I'm playing Berseria right now and it's a ton of fun.

it's really good, yeah. it's fun to explore, it has okay minigames, and the combat is great if tailoring chains of real-time attacks in a menu is your thing (it's mine). it's fun to... grind? it doesn't quite scratch the ff9 itch, where all abilities were exciting and powerful; instead, you just get a ton of tiny incremental ones, but learning passives on equipment is still most of the way there.

i felt like it dragged at points, and a lot of the reveals that players who skipped zestiria/are new to the tales games had shocked reactions to were just recaps of the basic concepts covered in zestiria. i also felt like the real "threat" of the game didn't come nearly early enough and if it had, i might've felt like the first 60% of the game was more urgent. but that's a subjective stance to take.

tl;dr would recommend even at full price

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i see nothing wrong with writing the game as if the player hadn't played the second worst tales game

seriously if you're playing berseria and you want to see what happens afterwards, just watch the zestiria anime because the game will not leave you nearly satisfied

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

The Colonel posted:

i see nothing wrong with writing the game as if the player hadn't played the second worst tales game

oh there's nothing wrong with doing it that way, it's just that i was playing through the game with all the foreknowledge so it wasn't surprising for me personally. honestly i woulda liked to not have played zestiria because that way i could've been :aaaaa:

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I liked the twists they put in the Zestiria connections because you have noble, good guy stuff like fusion that was a result of basically enslaving spirits and killing them decades ago. And how the Shepherd/Lord of Calamity origin started.

I'm less annoyed at Zestiria since the anime made Eizen not randomly die.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i'm not less annoyed at zestiria. zestiria loving sucks rear end

zestiria the x, however, is pretty dece. even changed the plot so that a character doesn't randomly turn out to be an evil traitor, and alisha and rose get to be characters, and even in the same scenes

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Jun 23, 2017

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

So I've said in the past I wasn't nearly as impressed with Nier 1 as a lot of people on here. It wasn't bad, I just wasn't blown away.

Is the sequel better? (talking writing and story here) I watched slowbeef's wife play a bit of it and it looks fairly different.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

So Zestiria is that bad? It's pretty cheap on Amazon so I was thinking of playing it eventually and then watching the anime.

NikkolasKing posted:

Is the sequel better? (talking writing and story here)
Coming fresh off of playing both games for the first time and back to back on top of that, I liked Automata's story and characters but as a whole I thought the original's were better.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
It's pretty much the most mechanically sound a Yoko Taro game has ever been but that's not the greatest achievement. Don't go in expecting some Platinum beat 'em up combat so much as a solid, tight action RPG.
... they made a Youtube LP creepypasta?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I think Nier: A has a better story but that's just because it's theme and message resonates with me more, and I liked what they did with the characters.

Also, Zestiria is pretty bad. Combat's not terrible but enemy damage is way overtuned, and the plot is literally 10% of a completed game hastily strung together by unfinished cutscenes. Take an actual look at the 'direction,' it's so shoddy and all over the place that it actually game me visual whiplash a couple of times. And the plot completely abandons you for the middle third of the game as you run around reenacting the plot of ff1. Minus time travel.

And the equipment system is both horrific and terribly explained.

The characters are still decent and there are some funny skits but that's true of every tales game.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Hyperderqmension Neptunia

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I played Zestiria for 40 hours and beat it, which is more than I can say for a lot of RPGs, but still agree with pretty much everything that's been said.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

zesty is the worst tales game released in english

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Raxivace posted:

So Zestiria is that bad? It's pretty cheap on Amazon so I was thinking of playing it eventually and then watching the anime.

just... watch the anime. zestiria is maybe worth giving a shot for five bucks but all i'm personally going to say about it is that it's loving garbage and what little pieces of a story do exist, are a lot more weirdly cold and awful than tales of berseria. what pieces of a story aren't there are, well, everything to give alisha, rose and edna actual character arcs and make them feel like they have any presence in the setting outside of goofy skits. edna doesn't even get as much as rose or alisha and she still has a waaaaaaaaay less weird ending to her subplot. the biggest problems with x are just that mikleo and zaveid don't get as much time, and lunarre ultimately ends up being about as much of a non-character as he was in the game, because they have to fit everything into 25 episodes

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Jun 23, 2017

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Endorph posted:

Also, Zestiria is pretty bad. Combat's not terrible but enemy damage is way overtuned, and the plot is literally 10% of a completed game hastily strung together by unfinished cutscenes.

do they actually address any of this stuff in the animated series or am i going to be just watching a more or less verbatim version of zestiria

i stumbled across the ufotable cafe and i was thirsty af so i slipped in and they were showing an episode. i asked the doorman if i could order something to drink and he was like "reservation only" so i'm at least somewhat interested in checking the show out if only because it was a private event :v:

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

The White Dragon posted:

do they actually address any of this stuff in the animated series or am i going to be just watching a more or less verbatim version of zestiria

i stumbled across the ufotable cafe and i was thirsty af so i slipped in and they were showing an episode. i asked the doorman if i could order something to drink and he was like "reservation only" so i'm at least somewhat interested in checking the show out if only because it was a private event :v:

they put all the missing plot in the anime yeah

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
From what I remember of it, the opening act of Tales of Zestiria was kinda antisemitic. Guy with ~the true blood~ who's been raised in the woods by ~the mythic spirits~ travels to the capital, there he finds that society is being corrupted by evil hook-nosed goblins who pose as people/merchants and make everybody miserable, IIRC our hero then returns the state religion to a truer, more pure form, exposing the Jews monsters and causing the people of the city to rise up against them. And at that point I stopped playing because the gameplay was crap.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

The White Dragon posted:

the plot is completely different from zestiria in basically every way. alisha gets a waaaaaaaaaaaay more expanded role, instead of just getting left out of poo poo for a few hours and then getting kidnapped off-screen, she's a loving badass who's consistently on the level with sorey, she actually interacts and has a really great dynamic with rose, and she has a subplot that actually gets closed off and doesn't end with maltran suddenly being evil. also, rose is a character, and her being an assassin who murders people is given actual weight, and she has a subplot and motivations that are explained and given resolution.

also, they give an actual answer to sorey searching for a way to purify dragons, and eizen's subplot ends in a way that both doesn't cheapen his subplot at the end of berseria but also doesn't resolve in the party spontaneously deciding they have to kill him

literally the only issue with zestiria the x i care about is that mikleo and edna get a bit less screentime and zaveid doesn't get to chew things up as much, but also zaveid has a character beyond being a gargantuan rear end in a top hat now, so

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Jun 23, 2017

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

corn in the bible posted:

zesty is the worst tales game released in english

Not while Symphonia 2 exists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i haven't played symphonia 2 but i'm going to say emil has a better character arc than anyone in zestiria the video game