Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Holy poo poo there's a Swedish show on TV right now called Arga snickaren and it's just horrible. "This isn't mold in your bedroom it's poo poo!"

Apparently every episode is him shouting at gormless house-owners and saying "poo poo" a lot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vt-abTWNfuk

e: I mean they do fix up the house too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drape Culture
Feb 9, 2010

But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Big Brother.

The End.
It's like Gordon Ramsay got a GC license

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

"THERE ARE ROCKS IN THE BOX!" gets me every time.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Lol I found the mommy blog of an old classmate. She posted part of the floor plan of their new build house that they designed for homeschooling 4 kids. It's low resolution so I can barely figure out the rooms but it definitely says
2236 sf main floor
1679 sf flr 2
1046 sf garage

Maybe I can't figure out the rooms because the scale is outside my life experience. Maybe those rectangles were hummers, not beds.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Jerry Cotton posted:

Your mail gets delivered to your garage?

My mail gets delivered at the end of my block. There are 8 mailboxes there, so I pick up my mail on my drive home.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

peanut posted:

Lol I found the mommy blog of an old classmate. She posted part of the floor plan of their new build house that they designed for homeschooling 4 kids. It's low resolution so I can barely figure out the rooms but it definitely says
2236 sf main floor
1679 sf flr 2
1046 sf garage

Maybe I can't figure out the rooms because the scale is outside my life experience. Maybe those rectangles were hummers, not beds.

I definitely want the 1000 sqft garage.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Darchangel posted:

I definitely want the 1000 sqft garage.

Me too. Hell, that's bigger than my house, which doesn't even have a garage.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

That'd be about a three-car garage (as in, three overhead doors), but it's worth pointing out that on those totals, they just sum up a bunch of poo poo in a pretty haphazard way, like if you have an outbuilding barn or something that's actually closed up and insulated? That just adds on to your garage square footage. Friend of mine just bought a place that the assessor claims has like 2400 square feet of garage because there's a detached shop (a nice one), a small decrepit garage that's so busted it's just getting torn down, and a goat barn. They all get counted in for some dumb reason. Probably so they can tax it marginally higher.

Bad Munki fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Jun 23, 2017

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

kid sinister posted:

Me too. Hell, that's bigger than my house, which doesn't even have a garage.

Hello kid old friend, what exactly do you live in, that is really small do you live in one of those microhouses? :allears:

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

sneakyfrog posted:

Hello kid old friend, what exactly do you live in, that is really small do you live in one of those microhouses? :allears:

A 3-bedroom, 1-bath house with a kitchen and one bonus room would be around 1000 square feet.

The tinyhouse movement generally tries to cram everything into a studio-sized space, which I generally think of as being at most 400 square feet.

th vwls hv scpd
Jul 12, 2006

Developing Smarter Mechanics.
Since 1989.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

A 3-bedroom, 1-bath house with a kitchen and one bonus room would be around 1000 square feet.

The tinyhouse movement generally tries to cram everything into a studio-sized space, which I generally think of as being at most 400 square feet.

Where are you living? My last apartment was 1100 square feet with 2 bedrooms, 1.5 bath, living room, kitchen and enough room to stick a 4 person table on the opposite side of the kitchen.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
The phrase "bonus room" always makes me think of a gameshow, like the buyer spun a wheel and either got a bonus room or a year's supply of Aleve, America's #1 pain reliever.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

th vwls hv scpd posted:

Where are you living? My last apartment was 1100 square feet with 2 bedrooms, 1.5 bath, living room, kitchen and enough room to stick a 4 person table on the opposite side of the kitchen.

I'm in the San Francisco Bay Area. My own house is 4bed/2bath and 1200 square feet.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

canyoneer posted:

The phrase "bonus room" always makes me think of a gameshow, like the buyer spun a wheel and either got a bonus room or a year's supply of Aleve, America's #1 pain reliever.

Yeah I was just going to ask what the deal is since I've seen that term a lot in this here subforum. Is it a term for any room that isn't a bathroom, bedroom, kitchen or living room? Or is it what we'd call a box room (so named both for being small and boxy and because long ago people stored luggage in it).

th vwls hv scpd
Jul 12, 2006

Developing Smarter Mechanics.
Since 1989.

I'm in the San Francisco Bay Area. My own house is 4bed/2bath and 1200 square feet.

I don't know that I've ever seen a house that small with 4br in Louisiana. That seems extremely cramped.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

i appreciate your earnest reply, I was gently poking at kid over there in good natured fun, i dont honestly thinks he lives in a microhouse.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

sneakyfrog posted:

2 bed, 1 bath, buddy. ~850 square feet.

Also:
https://i.imgur.com/Of2O8Qf.gifv

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

sorry for our previous disagreements friend.

is that just for you? I dont think i could be comfortable without an office to have work mind in

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Yeah, I'm living in a 3br 2ba house that's 1404sqft but there's a lot of really stupidly wasted space, like a big long hallway leading to all the bedrooms that has an awkward bump-out at the end filling the negative space next to one of the bedroom closets, and a bedroom with a dumb diagonal wall in it that mostly makes the living room SEEM more spacious but isn't really usable space.

hailthefish fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Jun 23, 2017

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

sneakyfrog posted:

sorry for our previous disagreements friend.

is that just for you? I dont think i could be comfortable without an office to have work mind in

Nope. Me, my wife, my 3 year old and 8 month old daughters. It's bursting at the seams. I do have my corner of the unfinished basement for my computer and work area.

I still can't believe you all managed to chase him off just by calling him a misogynist.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

kid sinister posted:

Nope. Me, my wife, my 3 year old and 8 month old daughters. It's bursting at the seams.

I still can't believe you all managed to chase him off just by calling him a misogynist.

lol.

goonladiez are fierce. plus that thread got posted like everywhere after he started being stupid.

e: well i guess long AFTER he STARTED being stupid. but when he started being stupid about the ladies.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

sneakyfrog posted:

lol.

goonladiez are fierce. plus that thread got posted like everywhere after he started being stupid.

e: well i guess long AFTER he STARTED being stupid. but when he started being stupid about the ladies.

Can you answer me a question? Did some other goon post his actual picture and not even get probated?

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

Arachnamus posted:

Yeah I was just going to ask what the deal is since I've seen that term a lot in this here subforum. Is it a term for any room that isn't a bathroom, bedroom, kitchen or living room? Or is it what we'd call a box room (so named both for being small and boxy and because long ago people stored luggage in it).
Typically a room that would be a bedroom except that it doesn't meet legal requirements, such as not having a closet.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

more data: my 3 bedroom 2 ba house has a living room and a dining room and a hallway and it's 1188 square feet. What people think of as "cramped" really varies - my house feels fairly open. The bedrooms are adequate but not spacious. The living room is open to the dining room which is open to the kitchen, and the kitchen is smallish. One of the bathrooms (master bath) just has a shower stall and it's legit tiny and cramped.

Nevertheless, it's perfectly fine to raise a family in and literally billions of people on Earth live in and raise families in houses this small or smaller. Americans are just ridiculously spoiled.

http://shrinkthatfootprint.com/how-big-is-a-house

Alereon posted:

Typically a room that would be a bedroom except that it doesn't meet legal requirements, such as not having a closet.

Yeah. Sometimes also refers to areas that are not permitted or are unfinished, so can't be included in the official square footage.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

kid sinister posted:

Can you answer me a question? Did some other goon post his actual picture and not even get probated?

they linked his picture which he had linked on his stupid thing.

yeah it was inconsistent and such which is kinda why i apologized cause i hammered on you so drat hard about the same loving poo poo, and then another guy does it and its totally fine.

i dunno, im pretty loving easy to dox, but i dont loving appreciate it really, i know you did have the best intentions but you were a giant dick about it a bit which got my cockles up about it.

SIDENOTE: Sorry thread for the minor derail.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

sneakyfrog posted:

they linked his picture which he had linked on his stupid thing.

yeah it was inconsistent and such which is kinda why i apologized cause i hammered on you so drat hard about the same loving poo poo, and then another guy does it and its totally fine.

i dunno, im pretty loving easy to dox, but i dont loving appreciate it really, i know you did have the best intentions but you were a giant dick about it a bit which got my cockles up about it.

SIDENOTE: Sorry thread for the minor derail.

He deserved it. He was a giant rear end to everyone that was trying to help him. I can't believe that he only complained about me giving him poo poo about something that could physically hurt him or other future owners, then he actually shuts down from goons yelling at him for having a problem with "females". People and their priorities.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

My wife and I had a 700 sq ft 1 bed 1 bath and after a year she couldn't live in that small of a space anymore.

So we bought a 3200 sq ft 3 bed 2.5 bath with a bunch of other rooms but the layout is a little funky because one secion of the house is from the 1750s, another section from the 1800s, and the back section ( our kitchen) is from the 1940s.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

kid sinister posted:

He deserved it. He was a giant rear end to everyone that was trying to help him. I can't believe that he only complained about me giving him poo poo about something that could physically hurt him or other future owners, then he actually shuts down from goons yelling at him for having a problem with "females". People and their priorities.

I appreciate folks stressing things they are passionate about, hell even using strong language, or downright personal attacks whatever..

dont care

its that narc you out to this weird rear end inconsistent municipal government part friend. even as an empty threat, eh. say your piece as hard as you want man its just you arent judge dredd. people gonna people. besides it sets a precedent that its ok to just involve outside authorities in just general goons loving about. you think anyone will post stupid poo poo in DIY if code police are about? half the sagas of the forums are about glorious failure, and other than what like the TCC folks and the punkin kid we dont usually get fatalities.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

sneakyfrog posted:

I appreciate folks stressing things they are passionate about, hell even using strong language, or downright personal attacks whatever..

dont care

its that narc you out to this weird rear end inconsistent municipal government part friend. even as an empty threat, eh. say your piece as hard as you want man its just you arent judge dredd. people gonna people. besides it sets a precedent that its ok to just involve outside authorities in just general goons loving about. you think anyone will post stupid poo poo in DIY if code police are about? half the sagas of the forums are about glorious failure, and other than what like the TCC folks and the punkin kid we dont usually get fatalities.

People breaking the law and potentially hurting themselves and other people != "general goons loving about". There's a reason you can't sell in TCC. It was bad enough when that goon in TFR gave shell advice to that shooter. I'd rather not have a preventable tragedy on my conscience.

Buff Skeleton
Oct 24, 2005

Are you guys talking about that bathroom remodel thread where a goon cut chunks out of engineered beams?

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

kid sinister posted:

People breaking the law and potentially hurting themselves and other people != "general goons loving about". There's a reason you can't sell in TCC. It was bad enough when that goon in TFC gave shell advice to that shooter. I'd rather not have a preventable tragedy on my conscience.

dude was single friend.

if you are going to endanger yourself despite a lot of good advice (a lot by you in general, to be perfectly truthful) on your own head be it. but you came into the thing with an axe to grind a bit is all im saying.

sorry thread i suck.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Buff Skeleton posted:

Are you guys talking about that bathroom remodel thread where a goon cut chunks out of engineered beams?

yeah

again i apologize. realistically this should be PMs so sorry.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

sneakyfrog posted:

dude was single friend.

if you are going to endanger yourself despite a lot of good advice (a lot by you in general, to be perfectly truthful) on your own head be it.

You're assuming no families would buy such a giant house from him. That's the thing about buildings: poo poo can kill people decades later.

Edit: hell, there have been a couple examples here in the crappy construction tales thread of that.

kid sinister fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Jun 23, 2017

Buff Skeleton
Oct 24, 2005

sneakyfrog posted:

yeah

again i apologize. realistically this should be PMs so sorry.

Yeah this thread probably isn't the place for it, but I think the ethical questions behind that whole situation are really interesting. Do you dox someone to the authorities if you have reasonable evidence they are creating dangerous structural deficiencies in their house which may one day become an injury or death for someone else who buys the house down the road, potentially two or three buyers later even?

Personally I'd like to trust that a building I inhabit doesn't have secret critical vulnerabilities that could kill me, so I'm less sympathetic to someone posting their modifications on the internet and getting called out for it if they are unrepentant and unwilling to fix the problem, though I think I recall that guy WAS getting contractors and engineers out to fix it. I didn't follow the thread much beyond that so I dunno what else happened. Definitely a pretty wide gray area I think, though.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

kid sinister posted:

You're assuming no families would buy such a giant house from him. That's the thing about buildings: poo poo can kill people decades later.

you assume a lot of personal responsibility friend.

there occasionally is a time to just let it go.

much love though friend..

did you buy me this dashing well designed avatar?

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Alereon posted:

Alereon posted:

except that it doesn't meet legal requirements

Alereon posted:

legal requirements, such as not having a closet.

Whaaat? You have legal minimums on what can be called a bedroom? No wonder you guys have so many closets. I think I have a new wikipedia hole to fall down.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

My parents have a "bedroom" in their basement. It is finished but can't legally be called a bedroom since there is not a window. Except the city says it's a bedroom for tax purposes, but the bank and insurance says it's not. loving city man. They consider the house 4 bedroom, but when they sell can only list it as 3.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

There's a mini myth in the UK that a bedroom has to have a window when renting out but in reality the minimum requirement is literally "can you fit a bed in it". Other than that it's just down to safety laws and such.

Edit: also closets are extremely rare.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Arachnamus posted:

Whaaat? You have legal minimums on what can be called a bedroom? No wonder you guys have so many closets. I think I have a new wikipedia hole to fall down.

That led me to some googling, especially about a factoid I had heard before about why a number of older houses don't have many closets, and instead will have big wooden wardrobes and other furniture to replace it. The fun fact was that at some point a long time ago, part of how property taxes were assessed was based on number of closets in a home, so you could cheat the tax man by putting all your clothes in a wardrobe instead! :smug:

Turns out that's not true. Old homes (like, 200+ years old in the US or a zillion years old in Europe) don't have very many closets because when it was built, the people of that era didn't have a lot of stuff to put in it, like changes of clothing, multiple pairs of shoes, or clean underwear.

We 21st century humans just have a lot of crap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

America prefers to pretend that wardrobes don't exist.

e. yeah also that thing. You needed a wardrobe to hang your sunday clothes in, maybe a warm top you didn't wear during the summer, and maybe a nightgown. You were wearing the rest of your clothes, usually.