Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

https://youtu.be/f2Aco73B4L0 these guys are a really popular local band. They have done a few things with Steam Powered Giraffe. Kill me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
I didn't know I was capable of hating any music this much. Holy poo poo.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Kilometers Davis posted:

https://youtu.be/f2Aco73B4L0 these guys are a really popular local band. They have done a few things with Steam Powered Giraffe. Kill me.
Why is this a thing

This should not be a thing

gently caress this

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

so... guess that's it, huh? just... don't say i didn't warn you.
Western fetishism is just bizarre. It's like these people wanted to be in a western musical but that market is dead and buried. But this somehow works.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Did he shoot that whole thing with a selfie stick in an amusement park?

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
i'm all the regular tourists waiting in line with their kids for shave ice trying to ignore the idiots dressed up in their halloween costumes

gillianbarbary.mpg
Mar 14, 2017

my two favorite things are dirty, manual labor in meticulously arranged costumes and mouthing words in the most exaggerated way possible so this is pretty much the best thing never

kjetting
Jan 18, 2004

Hammer Time

Coohoolin posted:

you guys are all tripping, the best guitar player to emulate and live by is CLEARLY dick gaughan.

anyway I was trying to find a specific thread for it but I guess it can go in here. i found it, i found the worst ever cover. the worst.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=05-jeYSPQZ0

I couldn't finish this at all.

I've seen their pictures pop up from time to time, but this is the first time I've ever heard them. I thought there would at least be some talent or originality, but these guys are really all about visual appearance.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
I've never listened to them but in my imagination they sound like a really bad Less Than Jake ripoff

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

kjetting posted:

I couldn't finish this at all.

I've seen their pictures pop up from time to time, but this is the first time I've ever heard them. I thought there would at least be some talent or originality, but these guys are really all about visual appearance.

I enjoyed the first take recording of the guitar parts that somehow made it into the final recording.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Spanish Manlove posted:

I've never listened to them but in my imagination they sound like a really bad Less Than Jake ripoff

that would be a marked improvement

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Weird BIAS posted:

Western fetishism is just bizarre. It's like these people wanted to be in a western musical but that market is dead and buried. But this somehow works.

Western stuff rules. This is just bottom feeding steampunk garbage.

https://youtu.be/HtYGegYvGZg

For some reason it makes me think of this, but this is way better. Nick 13 is cool.

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

Yeah that's fair. I think I meant it in more of a, western musical sense? Like if they weren't steampunking it up they'd be doing a production of Paint Your Wagon. Western music is fine.

Tiger Army and Nick 13 are the poo poo yeah.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Spanish Manlove posted:

less than jake is a really bad less than jake ripoff.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Also my memory of Less Than Jake is actually just the song "sell out" from Reel Big Fish

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Spanish Manlove posted:

Also my memory of Less Than Jake is actually just the song "sell out" from Reel Big Fish

I've spent years trying to Eternal Sunshine that whole era from my brain.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Weird BIAS posted:

Yeah that's fair. I think I meant it in more of a, western musical sense? Like if they weren't steampunking it up they'd be doing a production of Paint Your Wagon. Western music is fine.

Tiger Army and Nick 13 are the poo poo yeah.

It's so gaudy, ugh. Honestly I think steampunk can be great if done right. It's hard to nail the right vibe. It always attracts this pseudo intellectual collective of gently caress YEAH SCIENCE people who mirror their interests without figuring out how to make it unique.

Yeah! My girlfriend actual showed me the Nick 13 solo stuff recently. I was hesitant at first but that song hit the spot. He's a talented guy. His voice is so good for that dusty melancholy country sound.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

Coohoolin posted:

you guys are all tripping, the best guitar player to emulate and live by is CLEARLY dick gaughan.

anyway I was trying to find a specific thread for it but I guess it can go in here. i found it, i found the worst ever cover. the worst.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=05-jeYSPQZ0

I'm the big loving dork who's way too smug about being the guy who sings the low notes and shows it by trying way too hard to sound vocally trained and powerful even though 1. I'm obviously not and 2. it doesn't fit the context of the song whatsoever.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

The Muppets On PCP posted:

also if steve vai had been born in the 90s he'd probably be in a steampunk barbershop quartet
I... pssshbt... mother... no you can... god drat... look... fbfbfbfbfllll... LISTEN! FFFFfffff... -urp- loving! Take! haaaaaaaaaaghhhhtttttthhh ack

U!!!!

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Kilometers Davis posted:

The cadence is just so lengthy, this sounds like someone doing a bad acoustic Avenged Sevenfold cover at the lowest possible energy. Kinda hard to articulate as they're obviously in a different genre, but the long, long, long phrases remind me of Avenged Sevenfold.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Dr. Faustus posted:

I... pssshbt... mother... no you can... god drat... look... fbfbfbfbfllll... LISTEN! FFFFfffff... -urp- loving! Take! haaaaaaaaaaghhhhtttttthhh ack

U!!!!

in your heart you know it's true

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Dr. Faustus posted:

U!!!!

I bet that Vai would actually play wanky psuedo djent poo poo on 9 string headless guitars like Sara Longfield or whatever her name is on YouTube

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
nah 90s-born vai is just hugh myrone

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mCkHzsXifJ8

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Lol

Skipopatomus
Aug 30, 2007

Ozzy Osbourne simply duplicated the event.

I did a stupid music poo poo

now how do I seal it? I read polyurethane yellows over time and I'm not sure if a clear acrylic finish is going to end up feeling sticky. any suggestions are welcome.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
I kinda liked that. I mean, it was derivative of artists (like Vai) who came before but it was decently arranged and had some chops. I'd have that guitar, for sure. I mean, in addition to the one I already have.

But I have to wonder what Vai would have done if he'd been born in the 90's, keeping all other things equal (to the extent that it works for a thought experiment.) He's not going to sound like a Vai clone because there's no previous Vai to clone.

I went to watch that expecting it to be terrible, but actually it was just generic electric guitar instrumental #7,275,993. I've heard worse.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

90s Vai would have likely done what Plini and Tosin Abasi have done separately.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

This thread is really in its wheelhouse right now.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

This thread is really in its wheelhouse right now.
But, like, what if "cat" was spelled "vee ayy eye?"

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Dr. Faustus posted:

I kinda liked that. I mean, it was derivative of artists (like Vai) who came before but it was decently arranged and had some chops. I'd have that guitar, for sure. I mean, in addition to the one I already have.

But I have to wonder what Vai would have done if he'd been born in the 90's, keeping all other things equal (to the extent that it works for a thought experiment.) He's not going to sound like a Vai clone because there's no previous Vai to clone.

I went to watch that expecting it to be terrible, but actually it was just generic electric guitar instrumental #7,275,993. I've heard worse.

myrone is a goddamn champion because it's all cornball horseshit that is unbelievably fun and he knows it

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Christ, what an rear end in a top hat.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Put them all together, run a high pass filter, then put another pedal after that. I wanna hear it.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Dewgy posted:

myrone is a goddamn champion because it's all cornball horseshit that is unbelievably fun and he knows it

seriously how can anyone not like this dude

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c55HFO9mwZA

Dr. Faustus posted:

he's definitely got a different thing going on from the usual cheese shred, like he cribs from a lot of late 80s/early 90s japanese fusion stuff via videogame soundtracks

which makes sense given there was one article he wrote about underrated guitarists and namedropped the dude from t-square

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QWyOWz0px7E

The Muppets On PCP fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Jun 24, 2017

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Which does he have more of, boutique Tube Screamers or Klons?

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

which makes sense given there was one article he wrote about underrated guitarists and namedropped the dude from t-square

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QWyOWz0px7E
Hahahaha dude...

I went to watch that and immediately I was in a Namco racing game. Then I realized that the woodwind MIDI controller is, like, an actual thing that probably is in a lot of those old songs from (Japan) Sega/Playstation games back in the day, then the guitarist played a solo I'd be super-proud of if I could pull it off. It was so in-the-pocket and harmonically correct, with just a touch of "here's a guitar riff you know, I'm just gonna put it right here" and next thing I know I'm transported to an imaginary false memory of a 90's sci-fi anime movie I never watched but this was the music over the final credits while I'm sitting there going :confused:.

Then the announcer came in and turned it into a commercial and I think I hurt myself laughing.

Of all the Stupid Music poo poo in the world, this is some of the best.

Alright, Ok, then I watched:

seriously how can anyone not like this dude

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c55HFO9mwZA
This deserves love. gently caress it. I like this weirdo.

Dr. Faustus fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Jun 24, 2017

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Dr. Faustus posted:

I went to watch that and immediately I was in a Namco racing game.

funnily enough it was the theme song to a japanese channel's formula one broadcasts

Fair Hallion
Jul 25, 2007

:toot: :toot: :toot: :toot:

Skipopatomus posted:

now how do I seal it? I read polyurethane yellows over time and I'm not sure if a clear acrylic finish is going to end up feeling sticky. any suggestions are welcome.

I covered an old strat copy with those exact same stickers, the entire body. Never considered sealing it to be honest.

Clear acrylic might work (avoid anything containing solvents, they'd possibly melt or crinkle the vinyl stickers).

If you've any of the stickers left, put them on a scrap piece of wood, and test spray the acrylic on that. Wait for the results before going near the guitar.

That said, are you sure you want to make stickers on your guitar (semi) permanent? (well nothing's permanent with enough sanding but sealing makes it a greater pain to remove)

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.

Fair Hallion posted:

That said, are you sure you want to make stickers on your guitar (semi) permanent? (well nothing's permanent with enough sanding but sealing makes it a greater pain to remove)
A nice belt buckle-induced patina will just make it more punk rock.
Also, if they're quality stickers they might last on their own anyway. I put a big sticker right on the arm cut of my first bass and the drat thing is still there 20+ years later, arguably in better shape than the actual paint.

kjetting
Jan 18, 2004

Hammer Time

Skipopatomus posted:

Aliexpress, right?

I recognize many of those from my own DIY project:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Guys, I could've sold my 1985 MIJ Boss HM-2 for an obscene amount of money but some kid with no money is trying to start a swedish chainsaw band with his buddy so I sold it for $125. I AM A GOOD PERSON OK.

• Locked thread