Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

NikkolasKing posted:

...that video on the WP article..... I want to do my part but people are talking about contacting your senators and stuff. I live in Texas. My senator is Ted Cruz and some other guy. I actually don't know Cruz's healthcare policies but based on everything else I do know about him, a call feels like a waste of breath.

So I dunno what else to do.

It's Cruz and Cornyn, my wife and I call as often as we have the time to and you should too. Also encourage your friends/family to call, because Cruz is already weaseling out of voting for it sort of, so 'this is a bad bill' chat with the aide that picks up his phone can play to that. Cornyn is kind of a lost cause, but that's ok, constant calls and extreme disappointment could potentially at least make him nervous about the vote. Just sound informed and talk about the low approval rates of the AHCA.

Yngwie Mangosteen fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Jun 23, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

I'm not giving a Crapo staffer the satisfaction of deleting that email or hanging up on me.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

They can't hang up on you and they have to make a record of your position.

Terebus
Feb 17, 2007

Pillbug

A lovely Reporter posted:

He has done more to help other human beings in one hour than you have your entire life, you self-congratulating lazy gently caress.

Yes lets idolize the president that continued the dismantling of privacy and saw massive increases on individuals data collection.

He's also responsible for a massive increase in drone strikes and bombings that killed a horrendous amount of civilians around the world.

Keep on fetishizing him though because he did something nice for gay people and put in a healthcare system that only puts people halfway to bankruptcy.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Ularg posted:

I don't think it matters all that much to contact your republican senator. They can probably assume you voted democrat and will go "Eh, you didn't vote for me" and ignore you.

If you're gonna try to contact and convince a senator, you have to flood him out. Make it impossible for him to do anything else but be notified how many thousands of letters, phonecalls, emails and visitors he's getting on the issue.

Contacting your Republican senator helps but in a "sir we received 13,000 complaints about AHCA" kinda way. It is mainly a tool to get the senate staff to recognize a huge chunk of people are pissed. No actual convincing will take place.

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

THINKS CON-AIR WAS A GOOD MOVIE

Trabisnikof posted:

Presumably people who care about issues other than litmus test on Wall Street.

"Why are Republicans such single issue voters? Also they cannot be even remotely positive about Wall Street or I ain't voting for them".

Burt Buckle
Sep 1, 2011

Terebus posted:

Yes lets idolize the president that continued the dismantling of privacy and saw massive increases on individuals data collection.

I would give a nut to have that monster Obama be our president instead of Donald Trump.

Terebus
Feb 17, 2007

Pillbug

Burt Buckle posted:

I would give a nut to have that monster Obama be our president instead of Donald Trump.

You're not doing obamas legacy any favors by comparing him in any way to trump. It would be pretty hard to find a worse president than him.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Captain Monkey posted:

It's Cruz and Cornyn, my wife and I call as often as we have the time to and you should too. Also encourage your friends/family to call, because Cruz is already weaseling out of voting for it sort of, so 'this is a bad bill' chat with the aide that picks up his phone can play to that. Cornyn is kind of a lost cause, but that's ok, constant calls and extreme disappointment could potentially at least make him nervous about the vote. Just sound informed and talk about the low approval rates of the AHCA.

Fair enough then. Thanks everyone for the insight. I and most of my friends, including one who just had a baby, get Medicaid. I'll get on them to start blowing up Cruz's phone, too.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
It's always worth calling your reps, whatever level and political affiliation they may be. If nothing else you might get a story out of it, like the time I called my state senator's office about our single-payer bill, even though I knew he was a Republican and would vote against it; his aide told me that the bill's author was considering pulling it and I should call him instead. At first I was caught off guard by it, thanked him for the information, and hung up, but later, after talking with some other people, decided to do as he said and called Lara's office. Guy there not only confirmed that the bill wasn't being pulled, but sounded interested in my story that Berryhill's team told me it was and asked for my personal information just in case they needed to contact me in the future.

So now I have that story about how my state senator's team lied to me to get out of listening to me politely express my support for single-payer healthcare. (Not a very interesting story, but a story nonetheless.) I wonder if it's worth telling whoever his challenger is next election; "Berryhill will lie to you so he doesn't have to listen to you" is not a good look.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Burt Buckle posted:

I would give both of your nuts

Burt Buckle
Sep 1, 2011

Terebus posted:

You're not doing obamas legacy any favors by comparing him in any way to trump. It would be pretty hard to find a worse president than him.

What favors do I have to do to get Barry back?

Hollismason posted:

I would give both of your nuts

Wise guy.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
That's capitalism my friend

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Yeah disabled peeps literally being dragged out of wheelchairs while they protest to ensure a system that keeps them alive remains intact, but all things are equal because president guy did bad policy.

Guys I'd really like to care about these various problems but I'm too busy stroking my wokeness here to help, maybe if you didn't keep voting for the lesser of any evils you'd be in a better place.

Edible Hat
Jul 23, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

NikkolasKing posted:

...that video on the WP article..... I want to do my part but people are talking about contacting your senators and stuff. I live in Texas. My senator is Ted Cruz and some other guy. I actually don't know Cruz's healthcare policies but based on everything else I do know about him, a call feels like a waste of breath.

So I dunno what else to do.

Who's your congressman in the House? Call him/her.

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

Mustached Demon posted:

I'm not giving a Crapo staffer the satisfaction of deleting that email or hanging up on me.

Am I the only one who thinks that the most unbelievable thing in 21st century politics is that a guy named Crapo managed to win a US Senate seat? Like come on now, the dude has poo poo in his name. Who would vote for that? lmao

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
I have a feeling AZ Senator Jeff Flake could be persuaded to vote no on Trumpcare with enough pressure. He's taken a somewhat tougher stance than a lot of other Rs on Trump and he's up for re-election in 2018. McCain is a lost cause like usual though.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Queering Wheel posted:

Am I the only one who thinks that the most unbelievable thing in 21st century politics is that a guy named Crapo managed to win a US Senate seat? Like come on now, the dude has poo poo in his name. Who would vote for that? lmao

The governor is named Butch Otter.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Butch Otter is a loving awesome name

Frogfingers
Oct 10, 2012

Hollismason posted:

We're in the Metal Gear timeline now aren't we?

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

Hollismason posted:

And his ex-wife's name is Gay.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Hollismason posted:

Read his Wikipedia page it's worth it.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

skylined! posted:

that dogg is adorbs

also i'm tired of all this winning, etc

https://twitter.com/washingtonpost/status/878030100481982464

Layoffs Begin Next Month at the Site of Trump’s Famed Carrier Deal
http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2017/06/layoffs-begin-next-month-at-the-site-of-trumps-carrier-deal.html

quote:

By the end of the year, Carrier will have laid off 600 workers from the plant and moved the work to Mexico. That will leave the Indianapolis plant with 730 manufacturing workers — significantly fewer than the 1,100 jobs Trump said were staying in the U.S. The plant will also continue to employ several hundred technical workers who were never slated to lose their jobs. In exchange for keeping the factory open, Carrier is getting $7 million in tax incentives.

quote:

A secondary part of the deal Trump struck with the company called on Carrier to invest $16 million in the Indiana factory. This, Trump said, would lead to more jobs. “The 1,100 is going to be a minimum number.”
That was wrong too. The $16 million has been earmarked for increased factory automation.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

Rollersnake posted:

And his ex-wife's name is Gay.

If i meet Gay and Butch Otter at a party i'd be 100% convinced they were yanking my chain

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Mustached Demon posted:

Read his Wikipedia page it's worth it.

Otter was 20 when he graduated from high school– a childhood accident involving gasoline severely burned his younger brother and forced Otter to take a year off. Otter worked throughout high school as a janitor, theater usher, and lawn boy.

Hrmmmmm.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

I think it's pretty wild that Republican leaders have the nerve to get angry when they're confronted by the press about health care. "wah wah I've taken one of the most controversial stances in American history why won't anyone leave me alone" is pretty rich.

Zisky
May 6, 2003

PM me and I will show you my tits

Mendrian posted:

I think it's pretty wild that Republican leaders have the nerve to get angry when they're confronted by the press about health care. "wah wah I've taken one of the most controversial stances in American history why won't anyone leave me alone" is pretty rich.

Snowflakes, the lot of them.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Maybe everyone here would like to participate in a occult ritual to stop the growing darkness.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Hollismason posted:

Maybe everyone here would like to participate in a occult ritual to stop the growing darkness.

Listen the Secret Service still knows it's a conspiracy to assassinate the President even if you describe it a bit more subtly.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Mulva posted:

Listen the Secret Service still knows it's a conspiracy to assassinate the President even if you describe it a bit more subtly.

nice

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

FilthyImp posted:

Yeah disabled peeps literally being dragged out of wheelchairs while they protest to ensure a system that keeps them alive remains intact, but all things are equal because president guy did bad policy.

Guys I'd really like to care about these various problems but I'm too busy stroking my wokeness here to help, maybe if you didn't keep voting for the lesser of any evils you'd be in a better place.

Maybe if the political party who ostensibly represents you starts fielding candidates that are actually good instead of just the lesser evil you'd be in a better place, and maybe it would be a more productive use of your time to push said party to do that instead of getting mad at people who are tired of only getting lovely options to pick from?

A lovely Reporter posted:

He has done more to help other human beings in one hour than you have your entire life, you self-congratulating lazy gently caress.

Is pointing out that he's also done more to harm other human beings in one hour than any of us have in our entire lives acceptable, or does it undermine the whole Obama hagiography thing that you have going on here too much? Like, the number one problem certain people here have is that you're completely incapable of countenancing any criticism of your political leaders, and hence let them off the hook no matter how badly they gently caress up. This isn't good if you actually want the dems to win anytime soon.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

I'm starting to think me and my family really don't deserve anything. I'm thoroughly gaslit. Is this what being a Republican voter feels like?

Avirosb
Nov 21, 2016

Everyone makes pisstakes

Cerebral Bore posted:

Maybe if the political party who ostensibly represents you starts fielding candidates that are actually good

It's a nice pipe dream to have.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Lightning Lord posted:

I'm starting to think me and my family really don't deserve anything. I'm thoroughly gaslit. Is this what being a Republican voter feels like?
It depends. Given the choice, would you A) improve your situation, even though minority groups and immigrants would also have their situations improved, or B) remain in your lovely situation, so long as minority groups and immigrants have it even worse than you do?

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

mcmagic posted:

Remember, this was the piece of poo poo who democrats let write MAJOR parts of the bill and then to reward them he became one of the loudest people spreading the "death panels" lie.

Can someone give me a history lesson as to what actual purpose the democrats needed to let the republicans write any part of the healthcare bill back then if literally 0 of them voted for it at all?

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016
https://twitter.com/RealPressSecBot/status/878193675964006400

:guinness:

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

George W Bush helped more fellow human beings with Medicare Part D than most people will ever help in their entire lives. That hardly makes GW a saint or puts him (or even just Part D) beyond criticism.

RasperFat
Jul 11, 2006

Uncertainty is inherently unsustainable. Eventually, everything either is or isn't.

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Can someone give me a history lesson as to what actual purpose the democrats needed to let the republicans write any part of the healthcare bill back then if literally 0 of them voted for it at all?

Democrats have decided that reaching across the aisle to pass legislation is necessary to seem like the adults in the room. The old guard thinks this makes the Democrats look reasonable and fair, but the Republican Party has basically been Trump with less upfront assholery for over 30 years so that strategy is really just caving in to pissbaby toddlers.

No, D voters do not like this strategy but smart money says that if Democrats partially adopt Republican talking points they can win over moderates. :downs:

Avirosb
Nov 21, 2016

Everyone makes pisstakes

VitalSigns posted:

George W Bush helped more fellow human beings with Medicare Part D than most people will ever help in their entire lives. That hardly makes GW a saint or puts him (or even just Part D) beyond criticism.
He's also indirectly killed more human beings than most people ever will so it evens out.

Geroge W. Bush... Now that guy was presidential!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/878200921980891136

nice!

• Locked thread