Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

Beat Champion Gundyr on my first try woooooooooooooo

The dude is blocking all the time. Spaming r1 doesn't really do poo poo.

Here is a tip I have employed for all three games now: If you two-hand your weapon, it no longer bounces off of shields when you swing against them. I beat the guy by just swinging at his shield until he was knocked back for a riposte, rinse and repeat, which usually left him dead before the wolf joined the party.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
he also dies like a chump to pyromancy but that's a given tbqh

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I think the champion is a lady

e: I checked, I'm wrong on at least two fronts

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
At 40 str, dex & 35 faith the swordspear is a lot of fun. Unfortunately it has poo poo hyper armor.

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc
Update on the Aggression Mod run: Last night I learned that enemies will still try to get you even if you go into a boss fight. Many boss rooms have an invisible fence that enemies will never enter. Crystal Sage does NOT have that fence and, over the course of that fight, several enemies glitched into the arena turning an annoying fight into an annoyinger fight. The first time it happened, it was a screaming Lycanthrope that got in and pretty much ended that run immediately haha

Cathedral of the Deep is buckwild with Aggro Mod, especially on the rooftops. You pretty much can't stop and fight everything and those twin sword guys will find you pretty much wherever. However, the kamikaze flaming zombies will all bunch up and explode in unison, killing anything behind you, so that's a bonus.

I can't say Aggro Mod is the funnest way to play the game, but on a 7th run, it's a great little testament to how well-designed many encounters are, or at least how fair they are unmodded. I'm not looking forward to Irithyll...

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ

Silhouette posted:

Welcome to the Kool Kids Klub :cool:

Vilgefartz
Apr 29, 2013

Good ideas 4 free
Fun Shoe
Hey dudes i'm level 80-ish right now and I've been invading a lot around the Ashes of Ariandel areas. Are there any better spots for being a big red douchebag at my level? I actually fail 90% of my invades.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Just had the silliest death I've ever had in one of these games. I was in the Undead Settlement, riding up the elevator to talk to the giant. Siegward had already ridden up, and I was checking my inventory while I waited for the elevator to get to the top. Just as I hit B to close out of the menu, Siegward said "Hmmm..." which closed the menu automatically, causing me to instead backstep right off the elevator to my death. I couldn't even be mad because I was laughing so hard at how god drat dumb that is.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

CJacobs posted:

Just had the silliest death I've ever had in one of these games. I was in the Undead Settlement, riding up the elevator to talk to the giant. Siegward had already ridden up, and I was checking my inventory while I waited for the elevator to get to the top. Just as I hit B to close out of the menu, Siegward said "Hmmm..." which closed the menu automatically, causing me to instead backstep right off the elevator to my death. I couldn't even be mad because I was laughing so hard at how god drat dumb that is.

Yeah the whole "npc talking ruining menuing" has caused a couple deaths for me.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

CJacobs posted:

lies and slander my boy siegward would never murder someone

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment

Eastdrom posted:

Hey dudes i'm level 80-ish right now and I've been invading a lot around the Ashes of Ariandel areas. Are there any better spots for being a big red douchebag at my level? I actually fail 90% of my invades.

The area with the wolves and trees a is a dick place to invade someone, especially if they're trying to get to the optional area and trigger the big wolf.

Bear Retrieval Unit fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Jun 21, 2017

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

Bear Retrieval Unit posted:

The area with the wolves and trees a is a dick place to invade someone, especially if they're trying to get to the optional area and trigger the big wolf.

Ha, I had one guy try that. He kept sniping while messing with us, so I ran forward, he came at me and another guy, ends up on the bridge so I trigger it, hoping to kill him, but he ended up on the other side while me and the phantoms were on the beginning side.

He just sat there and waited since I hadn't opened anything while we went through the village and other areas. He finally disconnected like, 30 seconds before I was going to open the back door to the chapel and we could have fought.

I guess we won?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Augus posted:

lies and slander my boy siegward would never murder someone

Gotta say, that payoff when you confront Yhorm after saving his bumbling rear end a half-dozen times is just wild. Especially if you don't have a Storm Ruler of your own.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Darth Walrus posted:

Gotta say, that payoff when you confront Yhorm after saving his bumbling rear end a half-dozen times is just wild. Especially if you don't have a Storm Ruler of your own.

God bless everybody putting soapstone signs down letting me have the slightest clue about how to cap that off without a wiki my first time through. Oh sure just make an awkward jump into some random window after being conditioned to expect invisible walls/cliffs from such scenery. After an NPC attacker has already taken all of your attention and you just want to see what's up the staircase.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
Has one of the challenge runners done an attempt yet where you have to read every soapstone message they see and act on it as accurately as possible?

it probably sounds way funnier in my head than it would be in practice, but after watching that lobos "must pick and use every randomized drop" run i can't be sure of anything anymore

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Try rear eventually behind

Maleh-Vor
Oct 26, 2003

Artificial difficulty.
There's been one in front of Filianore for me that says something like "Try back, sadness ahead". You'd never be able to go for Gael.

Last night I was fighting him on my paladin having a great run after dying about 6 times, and had him at around 15% health. I started doubting whether I should finish him off because I really enjoy the fight, and maybe fighting him over and over to about 5% would be fun. Once the thought entered my mind, I lost focus and got absolutely murdered. So I guess I'll keep fighting him at least a few more times.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013
What's the trigger now for Gael to be available for the ashes boss fight?

I ran it on a new character, didn't do the new DLC, and he didn't show for some reason.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I'm actually not sure. Maybe you have to be gravetender first or something?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

IronicDongz posted:

I'm actually not sure. Maybe you have to be gravetender first or something?

It's not that, I was able to summon him for the boss before doing that. If I had to blind guess, I'd say exhausting the little girl's dialogue is what does it.

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

For Maximum Fun, use the Millwood Greatbow to knock people flying off the narrow ledge heading towards the Millwood tower area.

I love that bow, it's so fun.

Shannow
Aug 30, 2003

Frumious Bandersnatch

Eastdrom posted:

Shannow posted:

Millwood greatbow is the rear end in a top hat invasion king.

Esp here

Or even better

Running chloranthy ring, silvercat, obscuring ring and untrue dark

I've about 90 pale tongues and about 40 forked blue ones from loving people off that cliff edge. If they survive that, run up top and hide under the hanging corvian knight with you bow drawn. If they head for the next area, harass them into follwing you into the pair of living trees murder.
If you're a total prick, attack them as they fight Vilhelm. Flowwing them all the way up the snowy mountain pass is als hilariously good fun.

guns for tits
Dec 25, 2014

Crystal Sage was an annoying boss.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
Capra demon takes the cake for bullshit though.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

guns for tits posted:

Crystal Sage was an annoying boss.

You fought Aldritch yet? Because if not... hoo boy.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
aldritch is fine unless you are pyro, because his second form is very fire resistant and both forms are dark resistant so it's just a "use raw weapon" fight

rng heavy behavior but not in a super annoying way imo

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

IronicDongz posted:

aldritch is fine unless you are pyro, because his second form is very fire resistant and both forms are dark resistant so it's just a "use raw weapon" fight

rng heavy behavior but not in a super annoying way imo

That arrow rain can gently caress you up real good though, and his melee attacks are unpleasantly unpredictable for how hard they hit. He seems like the opposite of the Old Demon King, a boss designed for co-op - most of his attacks will lock down a single character, but let everyone else smack the poo poo out of him with impunity. So of course the ODK gets two summon signs and he gets none.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Forbidden sun like 7 shots him. Pyros have the easiest time. It's sorcerors that eat poo poo every boss

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Nameless King

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
I specced into faith briefly from sorcerer to dorhey's gnaw Freide to death early for her scythe.

I am a fool and have wasted two respecs for nothing I think.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
I've had worse reasons to respec, but i also like the scythe and maxed it. It's a fancy looking boss weapon with the usual drawbacks that comes with.

And gnaw is pretty fantastic for some other dlc bosses, or at least for sunbroing them. Or at least it used to, maybe bleed has been neutered to death since then

RoadCrewWorker fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Jun 22, 2017

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Gnaw ruins AoA

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment

Motherfucker posted:

I specced into faith briefly from sorcerer to dorhey's gnaw Freide to death early for her scythe.

Friede's scythe​ owns though? My first character to do the dlc was dex/int and once I got her scythe I started shredding almost everything in my way.

Vilgefartz
Apr 29, 2013

Good ideas 4 free
Fun Shoe

Shannow posted:

Running chloranthy ring, silvercat, obscuring ring and untrue dark

I've about 90 pale tongues and about 40 forked blue ones from loving people off that cliff edge. If they survive that, run up top and hide under the hanging corvian knight with you bow drawn. If they head for the next area, harass them into follwing you into the pair of living trees murder.
If you're a total prick, attack them as they fight Vilhelm. Flowwing them all the way up the snowy mountain pass is als hilariously good fun.

thanks man this is good poo poo.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

Motherfucker posted:

Respecs are free.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8xyRmi-bFBQ

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.

Friede's scythe​ owns though? My first character to do the dlc was dex/int and once I got her scythe I started shredding almost everything in my way.

I know that but I cannot cheese hard enough to beat her even with gnawing.

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

Motherfucker posted:

Friede for me was more a matter of calming myself the hell down rather than excessive gittin gud.
All her phases are not so bad. They just seem to psychologically stack up and unsettle me somehow. And panic rolling/getting greedy would get me killed.

I did ye olde bloodborne trick of turning the volume down a lot.
I accepted I probably wasn't going to win even right up until I did. Then I sunbro'd her a bunch of times and was amazed how well I'd learned her fight.

Same trick works with all the bosses really...don't try to win. Try to learn the fight.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I really hate how you stumble on every hit in this game. In Bloodborne it's okay because you recover and dodge so fast but here it is just torture. It makes me sad but I think I am liking DS3 less and less the more I play it. It's just miserable sometimes, and not the fun kind of miserable.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

CJacobs posted:

I really hate how you stumble on every hit in this game. In Bloodborne it's okay because you recover and dodge so fast but here it is just torture. It makes me sad but I think I am liking DS3 less and less the more I play it. It's just miserable sometimes, and not the fun kind of miserable.

I admit I kind of gloss it over in my brain because of how it still let me emergency dodge after some hits and work my way through way more than DS2 did once people decided to start flailing at me and things went wrong.

I can totally understand the feeling of burn out if you preferred the more Deliberate pace of DS1, but the bits of 3 skewing closer to it don't make up for the bits of it that go away from the prior games. What your saying sounds like my burn out on DS2 because despite it being "Slower" than DS3, the quirks of it always made me feel slightly off kilter.

Since for whatever bizzaro world skill curve reason I find dealing with a wildly flailing greatsword knight in DS3 more smooth than my playing footsies with Lionmen in DS3. Never loving died in shaded woods+boss, even after falling into the basilisks and acid pit like a dumbass, but it still felt "off" to me compared to when I gently caress up and die here.

I wish I could articulate why better. Why did my newbie rear end love flailing my way through DS1, why is it (usually) okay with the 300% increase in sick combos from enemies in DS3?... But still always super burnt out on 2 partway in even when I managed to get through entire areas without a single death? There are so many cool things in 2, and only in 2 on top, so I just hate it that I don't like it more.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 09:25 on Jun 23, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment

Motherfucker posted:

I misread then. Are you summoning Gail? If you can kill phase 2 fast enough so he doesn't burn too many estus he makes phase 3 so much easier.
For phase 1 if you're heaving trouble you can always just keep mid distance from her and bait her jump/side dash for an easy backstab while she's readying her attack.