Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Wait I thought the novels were over. Like there was a loving OVA in the 90s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I'm fairly certain that the only works Yoshiki Tanaka has legit finished with an actual ending that made sense are Legend of the Galactic Heroes and Tytania.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Relin posted:

you know arslan is based on still running novels and uses arakawa's style right guys. the manga is not holding it back.

it got bad when they caught up with the manga cause they couldn't steal from it anymore, the anime never even got close to the end of the novels

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

yeah, manga can serve as a basis for storyboards and the Arslan anime was ostensibly based on the manga (used Arakawa's designs), so it declining in quality around when the anime caught up is probably related

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Plutonis posted:

Wait I thought the novels were over. Like there was a loving OVA in the 90s

The novels are still going.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Welcome to the Ballroom
Centaur's Worries
Shoukoku no Altair
Fate/Apocrypha (everything Fate-related not done by Ufotable seems like a coin flip, but 50:50 odds are a drat sight better than a lot of other pitches)
Restaurant to Another World
New Game+ (wasn't expecting to like the first one but it won me over)
Kakegurui
Made in Abyss
Owarimonogatari 2nd Season
The Irresponsible Galaxy☆Tylor (don't have high hopes for this one tbh but I loved the original series so I feel obligated to at least check it out)

Decent slate of interesting-looking shows this season, though I guess it remains to be seen how many hold up (and how many are watchable without a subscription to yet another goddamn streaming service).

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde
Vatican Miracle Examiner PV :v:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sG8JBWdQ2l8&t=278s

Probably wont load in the U.K

sinky fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Jun 22, 2017

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Wark Say posted:

Isn't that worse than being Offensively Bad? I mean, a show being awful and people making GBS threads on it is basically a career as a "Professional YouTuber" nowadays. When a show is loving dull, they're usually not worth mentioning.

The difference between dull and offensively bad is like Black Butler season 1 and season 2, and I wish I could actively forget the latter.

smenj
Oct 10, 2012

sinky posted:

Vatican Miracle Examiner PV :v:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sG8JBWdQ2l8&t=278s

Probably wont load in the U.K

Vatican Miracle Examiner/Silver Spoon crossover ED

Probably won't load outside of the UK

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I recall reading somewhere that what apparently got Daisuke Ono his chance to audition to be re-cast as Jotaro (everyone aside from Koyasu had to be recast for the Stardust Crusaders anime coming from the All-Star Battle game) was a really good performance in a really lovely show. Every time I remember, I wonder if it was because of Black Butler and I snicker a little.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Wark Say posted:

I recall reading somewhere that what apparently got Daisuke Ono his chance to audition to be re-cast as Jotaro (everyone aside from Koyasu had to be recast for the Stardust Crusaders anime coming from the All-Star Battle game) was a really good performance in a really lovely show. Every time I remember, I wonder if it was because of Black Butler and I snicker a little.

It was the Melancholy of Suzumiya Haruhi actually. :twisted:

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Strange Quark posted:

The weather's hot enough without a take like this

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

HellCopter posted:

I hope at least some people watching Centaur's Worried get blindsided by how upfront the author is with his politics in this cute-girl slice-of-life show.

This I have to know more about.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Strange Quark posted:

Listen,

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Radish posted:

This I have to know more about.
The politics of "Nazis existed, and were bad." Though who knows, maybe that counts as controversial these days. :v:

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

they also live in a police state where people that disagree with the majority rule get executed, where anti racism laws mean you can't ride a centaur even if you have permission and where man eating snakes get silently condoned

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Of the three things you mentioned, I only recall the anti-racism laws.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Davincie posted:

they also live in a police state where people that disagree with the majority rule get executed, where anti racism laws mean you can't ride a centaur even if you have permission and where man eating snakes get silently condoned

Sounds good

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Namtab posted:

Sounds good

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

the centaur riding stuff comes up in the first volume, since that's all i've read

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Strange Quark posted:

Best voiced JoJo so far is still Joseph anyway. And while I've commented enough in these forums concerning my mancrush on Tomokazu Sugita as Young Joseph, I think I've come to appreciate Unshou Ishizuka as Old Joseph a little more recently. How much of that is due to the fact that Stardust Crusaders is 3 times longer than Battle Tendency is unclear, but old man Ishizuka is basically primo "Rambunctious Old Man" material and he fits in as Old Joseph like a fine-rear end glove.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Davincie posted:

Ah, XCOM 2

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal
I...

I think I'm old now. I don't want to watch any of these shows.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Well then go suck an egg then. Asswipe

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal

Plutonis posted:

Well then go suck an egg then. Asswipe

what is the text equivalent of the charlie brown sad walking away alone music?

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

CubeTheory posted:

what is the text equivalent of the charlie brown sad walking away alone music?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qncRbprBFdE

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

GorfZaplen posted:

Ah, XCOM 2
For real though, the premise that a world full of assorted monster people probably wouldn't end up with an identical set of laws and cultural norms is one of the reasons I liked the manga. As for what it says about the author's politics... Eh, I'm reminded of the people who said Attack on Titan shows the author's endorsement of fascism.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Namtab posted:

Sounds good

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

https://twitter.com/AnalWeeabooGay/status/877332343559565312

l o l

e: It's fake, but I'm still laughing

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
It must be kinda strange to have your personal storytelling signature be "the incest guy."

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Rangpur posted:

For real though, the premise that a world full of assorted monster people probably wouldn't end up with an identical set of laws and cultural norms is one of the reasons I liked the manga. As for what it says about the author's politics... Eh, I'm reminded of the people who said Attack on Titan shows the author's endorsement of fascism.

it was more the author's weird tweets about korea that showed his endorsement of fascism

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013
most hype: Princess Principal, cos 3Hz's other recent anime original, flip flappers, was my favorite anime last year, soundtrack by yuki kajira so at a minimum should have good music
Kakegurui: safest pick this season

curious for: 18if: different director every episode, which gives this potential to be experimental and cool like space dandy. or it might be poo poo we'll see
Made in Abyss: like the unique art style, and especially the background art.
The Reflection Wave One: stan lee apparently made an anime w/ the director for mushishi. why not
Vatican Miracle Examiner: pope

maybe: Restaurant to Another World: after gazillionth seasons of hell girl and monogatari this is apparently what japanese nerds voted as their most anticipated anime this season. maybe they are onto something?
NTR: Netsuzou TRap yeah why not

Homura and Sickle fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Jun 23, 2017

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice

Rangpur posted:

There's this weird undercurrent. Most cute shows would focus on the girls & their activities, but there are chapters devoted to bloody civil wars or the struggles of a girl with a deadbeat single dad.
The schoolteacher says "Unity is sometimes more important than our individual rights, more important than our very lives" and then is thanked by a man in a military uniform.

These are the things that make the manga really interesting though! I'm looking forward to the anime.

HellCopter fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Jun 23, 2017

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Restaurant to Another World is interesting because I picked up a manga on a whim recently called Another World Tavern Nobu (Isekai Izakaya Nobu) which is pretty drat similar in concept.

I guess the surging popularity of Food-based series' and Isekai based series' are just merging at this point.

Also, I am noticing a lot of negativity towards Re:Creators in this thread. I only watched the first two episodes but it seemed really neat, did it go to poo poo after that or start dragging?

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

Also, I am noticing a lot of negativity towards Re:Creators in this thread. I only watched the first two episodes but it seemed really neat, did it go to poo poo after that or start dragging?

Both!

It's kind of fine but man the show does not know how to have fun.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Homura and Sickle posted:

maybe:
Restaurant to Another World: after gazillionth seasons of hell girl and monogatari this is apparently what japanese nerds voted as their most anticipated anime this season. maybe they are onto something?
Japanese nerds were creaming their pants with Mahouka 3 years ago despite the fact that... well, it was Mahouka. gently caress Japanese nerds, their dumb-assed anticipations AND WHERE THE gently caress IS AMAGI BRILLIANT PARK'S SEASON 2, KYOANI? :argh:

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
yeah why the gently caress was mahouka popular, it seems completely boring and ugly. i can see the appeal of trashy rightist stories like gate or tanya or titan, but not mahouka

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
everything you mentioned is just military fiction with near-zero intrinsic political slant except the GATE source material that apparently some goons liked to sit in a circle around and bash. it's not like the AoT kids finally get in the basement and it's the Italian fascist manifesto or a framed photo of Hirohito.

oh wait, Mahouka depicts all on-screen Chinese people as evil terrorist caricatures that the MC wants to purge. maybe that's part of what you were looking for

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013
they put out another pv for 18if and its decently :catdrugs:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M2TR-BNRL6U

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
The Mahouka light novels were a game-changer for me: In early 2012, I got a friend in Tokyo to hunt down and send me the first half of the Gundam Unicorn novels because the I was really into the OVA's. In further exchanges through email, Skype, text messages and the like, he started mentioning in our exchanges that there was this Light Novel series that I might be into. That series was Mahouka. At around June-July 2012, I actually got the second package from my friend which included the back half of the Unicorn novels and the first 2 arcs of Mahouka (Volumes 1 through 4).

The reason that I wrote that first sentence about the Mahouka novels being a personal game-changer is that I'm fairly confident that those loving novels broke my brain: For real, the novels were so bad, they made me realize how much time I've had wasted in media that I honestly do not give one flying gently caress about. Like, there's stuff that I'll watch with friends while drinking and such, or the "So bad it's good" / guilty pleasure shlock that I still dig. However,all I needed to do was read this piece of fiction that was so vile, so up-its-own-rear end and just plain lovely, it flipped a switch in my brain that went "Man, this sunk-cost bullshit has got to stop", and it caused me to drop a bunch of long-running things that I knew in the back of my head were no longer among my jams: Among the things I can still half-remember dropping are Bleach, the Index novels, the SAO novels, the Marvel movies, and cheese knows how many other shows, comics and books. I think that I also stopped reading / bookmarking webcomics with the sole exception of Gunnerkrigg Court (which I still follow to this day). I actually started giving away stuff that I've been hoarding. So yeah, the Mahouka novels were so loving bad that they made me reevaluate my life choices in regards to what I use my time to entertain myself with.

• Locked thread