Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Favorite arc?
The Hunter Exam
Heaven's Arena
Yorknew City
Greed Island
The Chimera Ants
The 13th Hunter Chairman Election
View Results

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
kurapika's new chain is strictly inferior to every other power theft nen we've seen. that's only natural, as specializing in one thing is usually better when it comes to nen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD

tbp posted:

its pretty funny how much gons abilities kinda suck compared to like 99% of the cast. they're so boring in a reader sense and straightforward as gently caress in a in-universe sense

It's classic jojos.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

MonsterEnvy posted:

Leol's was not single use. He just only had access to an ability for 24 hours once he activated it.

It had around the same potential as Chrollo's version but with an easier way to steal powers. And the fact he could take his allies powers with out screwing them, unless he wanted to. Not that it matters given that he is dead.

1 hour, not 24.

My memories hazy, but I think it worked like 1 favor = 1 IOU to use a power for 1 hour.

Leol had to rip up the IOU thing, which seems to imply that once you've activated it, that particular favor has been paid off.

Since Leol was already proficient in the use of the ability he used against Morrel, it seems likely that he can do multiple favors for the same person and get multiple IOUs from them.

So it technically is a single use, but you can gather multiple uses. Sorta like consumable items.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
The one hour thing was even pointed out because Leol listened to an album that was exactly 60 minutes, and it just so happened to be an album that Morrel himself liked.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Yeah misremembered. And he does not actually need to do a favor or anything he just needs to get them to say they owe him a favor.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Yeah his plan was to get a Royal Guard or Meruem to owe him a favour.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

EmmyOk posted:

Yeah his plan was to get a Royal Guard or Meruem to owe him a favour.

Getting an hour of 'eat people to permanently gain their powers' is a pretty nice goal.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Turin Turambar posted:

Yes, it seems to have some drawbacks. The normal function is to suck someone's Nen and put him in a temporal Zetsu state, but it needs x seconds to act, the victim can defend himself and quit the syringe from himself before he is 'empty'. To steal the ability Kurapica need Emperor Time, which is limited, and even then it's a single use and after that the power returns to the owner.

He also can't get rid of abilities without using them (tricky if there's conditionals) and he's stuck in Emperor Time until he uses it up, which is probably dangerous because IIRC the red eyes state is supposed to be like some sort of supercharged adrenaline rush and overusing it risks crashing hard.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Kurapika became even more of a Swiss Army Nen Knife, huh. I'm pretty sure sooner or later trying to do EVERYTHING by himself is gonna backfire, especially now that they're stuck on the MURDERBOAT. Also he has an option now, that's cute!

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Kyte posted:

He also can't get rid of abilities without using them (tricky if there's conditionals) and he's stuck in Emperor Time until he uses it up, which is probably dangerous because IIRC the red eyes state is supposed to be like some sort of supercharged adrenaline rush and overusing it risks crashing hard.

Also it takes time for his syringe to empty the target of Aura and Ability.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
I wonder how hard or uncommon it is to make nen objects with a degree of sapience. A bunch of them seem to have personality and not always perfectly aligned with the user's wishes.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i think that's probably due to any decently skilled nen user being weird as heck.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Dias posted:

Kurapika became even more of a Swiss Army Nen Knife, huh. I'm pretty sure sooner or later trying to do EVERYTHING by himself is gonna backfire, especially now that they're stuck on the MURDERBOAT. Also he has an option now, that's cute!

I mean, Izunabi explicitly called him out on that and he even acknowledged it in his pre-reveal monologue. It's definitely going to cause him problems. Even more than it already has, I mean.

Kyte posted:

I wonder how hard or uncommon it is to make nen objects with a degree of sapience. A bunch of them seem to have personality and not always perfectly aligned with the user's wishes.

I think it's in part a preference or personality thing of the creator. Probably part of how things like habits, personal flairs, and so on (like Gon always doing his "Show me rock" thing and Hisoka naming his abilities after his favorite candies) improve an ability's effectiveness, due to personal... Synergy? Appeal? There's a word here I'm looking for but can't find.

The really interesting thing is what this implies about Kurapika. Despite his edgy loner exterior, apparently something about him makes the ideal way for his nen to manifest apparently be as an artistic little dolphin robot helper thing. That's kind of funny, and also cute in a way I guess. Guy has a lot more personality than he tries to let on.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

tbp posted:

i mean i get the eventual disparity in power but its kinda weird that chrollo has to go through absurd lengths to get access to his stolen abilities (albeit he can then use them essentially forever) but kurapika just uses a syringe

It's sort of the cosmic balancing act for Nen abilities. Zeno deduced that a stealing ability like Chrollos's needs a larger number of restrictions to be made which should imply that other similar abilities are equally complicated. While people like Leol and Kurapika, who can only take things temporarily, have really light restrictions.

Hate-Senpai posted:

1 hour, not 24.

My memories hazy, but I think it worked like 1 favor = 1 IOU to use a power for 1 hour.

Leol had to rip up the IOU thing, which seems to imply that once you've activated it, that particular favor has been paid off.

Since Leol was already proficient in the use of the ability he used against Morrel, it seems likely that he can do multiple favors for the same person and get multiple IOUs from them.

So it technically is a single use, but you can gather multiple uses. Sorta like consumable items.
Looked it up and his ability has two restrictions. But given the wording it does seem like he has unlimited rentals, but each one is an hour long so there will be a gap between uses.

I'm a bit confused as to why people look down on his ability. I think the only thing holding it back was the same thing that held Cheetu back, the user was overconfident and not used to nen combat. (Also going up against Morel)

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Brought To You By posted:

I'm a bit confused as to why people look down on his ability. I think the only thing holding it back was the same thing that held Cheetu back, the user was overconfident and not used to nen combat. (Also going up against Morel)

I think it's in part because "Kurapika is OP" is something of a thing here, so people immediately took his ability as worse than Leol's, which we also saw quite a while ago so the details weren't fresh in our memories. Plus, him getting clowned in such an ignominious way affects how he's remembered.

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.
Morau's a beast though

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Brought To You By posted:

It's sort of the cosmic balancing act for Nen abilities. Zeno deduced that a stealing ability like Chrollos's needs a larger number of restrictions to be made which should imply that other similar abilities are equally complicated. While people like Leol and Kurapika, who can only take things temporarily, have really light restrictions.

Looked it up and his ability has two restrictions. But given the wording it does seem like he has unlimited rentals, but each one is an hour long so there will be a gap between uses.

The narration does note that "number of rentals recorded" is a category alongside with the name and the ability, so it would seem to imply that there is a limit.

EDIT: Of course, I'm assuming that "number of rentals recorded" means how many times a particular ability can be rented (in other words how many favors Leol has done for the ability's owner) and not how many total rentals (different abilities) there are in the device.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

I think people just tended to look down on ability stealing/copying in general before the Hisoka vs Chrollo fight. Since nen abilities are so personalized, you wouldn't really expect a bunch of unfamiliar abilities to work as well as a single ability or two that really suit the user.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
It probably also didn't help that people with nen stealing powers didn't really have that great a track record till Hisoka vs Chrollo.

Chrollo couldn't steal mid-fight when up against someone as good as Silva and Zeno, plus when he did bring out Owl's cloth thing his combat ability was further hampered because both of his hands were occupied (one with the book, the other with the cloth). It made hand-to-hand combat virtually impossible. Chrollo had to modify his own ability to make it something that could work in an actual fight. Prior to that, he killed some random mercenary assassin but a nameless dude doesn't really count.

Leol also died, but to be fair, he just had the worst luck in picking an opponent. Morrel was a) a Sea Hunter, meaning an ability that creates a mass of water isn't going to hinder him much, and b) friends with the original owner of the ability, meaning he had a grasp of how it worked.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Chrollo was just terrible with his ability during his fight against Zeno and Silva, all he did was wave it around a bit and then he ended up shelving his book because it didn't do jack poo poo for him.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Kyte posted:

Obviously making the nen object an rear end in a top hat increases its power.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

trucutru posted:

Obviously making the nen object an rear end in a top hat increases its power.

The ultimate restriction: Being completely insufferable.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Hate-Senpai posted:

Chrollo was just terrible with his ability during his fight against Zeno and Silva, all he did was wave it around a bit and then he ended up shelving his book because it didn't do jack poo poo for him.

To be fair he wasn't trying to win, he was just buying time.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Hate-Senpai posted:

It probably also didn't help that people with nen stealing powers didn't really have that great a track record till Hisoka vs Chrollo.

Chrollo couldn't steal mid-fight when up against someone as good as Silva and Zeno, plus when he did bring out Owl's cloth thing his combat ability was further hampered because both of his hands were occupied (one with the book, the other with the cloth). It made hand-to-hand combat virtually impossible. Chrollo had to modify his own ability to make it something that could work in an actual fight. Prior to that, he killed some random mercenary assassin but a nameless dude doesn't really count.

Leol also died, but to be fair, he just had the worst luck in picking an opponent. Morrel was a) a Sea Hunter, meaning an ability that creates a mass of water isn't going to hinder him much, and b) friends with the original owner of the ability, meaning he had a grasp of how it worked.

Meruem stole powers from the strongest creatures alive but it didn't help him for poo poo.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

RatHat posted:

To be fair he wasn't trying to win, he was just buying time.

Even worse than that, he was trying to capture them to steal their powers.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

By Netero's standards Chrollo is one of the people living up to what it means to be a hunter.

Arkeus
Jul 21, 2013

Kyte posted:

Iirc it was said in a blurb during YS arc that manipulated or conjured items could get a personality if used enough. Raizer also talked about how Goreinu's power wasn't yet able to be kept up when he was unconscious, so I suspect that having an item has has a personality is one of the common ways to do that.

Given that this particular chain 'forces' the nen to stay active, that seems to follow that theme too (so he can't just stop it by getting unconscious).

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
Just re-read the arc up to the new chapter. I can't tell if it's because of a bad translation or what but a lot of the dialogue early on in the arc was next to impossible to parse. When the V5, the Zodiacs, and Pariston's group were talking about the voyage planning and Beyond and his motives and all that, I had to read over panels multiple times and it still didn't help for a lot of it. But I think things started to smooth out a bit once Hisoka vs Chrollo happened.

Regarding the new chapter: I like and appreciate Kurapika. That's all for now.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

TriffTshngo posted:

Just re-read the arc up to the new chapter. I can't tell if it's because of a bad translation or what but a lot of the dialogue early on in the arc was next to impossible to parse. When the V5, the Zodiacs, and Pariston's group were talking about the voyage planning and Beyond and his motives and all that, I had to read over panels multiple times and it still didn't help for a lot of it. But I think things started to smooth out a bit once Hisoka vs Chrollo happened.

Regarding the new chapter: I like and appreciate Kurapika. That's all for now.

It's not you, I remember dropping Hunter X Hunter for a while because I couldn't make head nor tail of the V5 and Travel Board chapters. Even the official translation can be hard to follow but that's because Togashi kind of drops you into the middle of things but it's so much clearer it's insane. Even the good parts of the fan translation are really ropey too. When they're on the boat and Mizaitom is telling Kurapika about the problems there it's a big difference.

Fan translation: "A rumour some criminal gang is causing peoples tickets to be invalidated due to that person supposedly already being on board" - this lead to people thinking the Troupe was in action!

Official Translation: "There's a rumour that if you commit a crime your ticket is invalidated and someone on the waiting list gets it. Further more if you report a ticket holder's crime you get their ticket"

I checked mangafox and they still have the pure muck translation but mangastream have one that's much closer to the official release!

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
giving nen a flaw can make it more powerful, but that only works when it is someone who was already capable of becoming powerful to begin with. too little ambition and you end up like the dog control guy. too much and you end up like the clone dude from the arena.

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.
The best way is the base nen on a physical attribute, like lungs for morau or electricity resistance for killua

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous
Who's watched darker than black? The nen conditions are quite similar to the remunerations in that series, the big difference being that the contractors don't get to choose them.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

sharktamer posted:

Who's watched darker than black? The nen conditions are quite similar to the remunerations in that series, the big difference being that the contractors don't get to choose them.

The other big difference is that the strength of ability didn't relate to the cost. Sure Havoc had an absurdly strong power and had to drink the blood of children but you had a teleporter who only had to set rocks in a pattern, laser whip guy had to dogear books, November 11 just had to smoke, and April who only had to have can of beer. Their remuneration also came after and was separate to their ability rather than a condition they had to fulfill to use it.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Hate-Senpai posted:

The narration does note that "number of rentals recorded" is a category alongside with the name and the ability, so it would seem to imply that there is a limit.

EDIT: Of course, I'm assuming that "number of rentals recorded" means how many times a particular ability can be rented (in other words how many favors Leol has done for the ability's owner) and not how many total rentals (different abilities) there are in the device.

That bit of wording is the deal breaker for his ability. I interpret it as "the number of times the ability has been used" like a ticker counting up. But the image we see has a bunch of 1's listed next to abilities so it's possible that he does have to continually get more favors to increase uses. In that regard it's probably a bit more wieldy than Kurapika's since it doesn't force Leol to remain in a state of body that wears him out, and he can presumably stack uses as well as retain multiple powers. I'm waiting to see what else Kurapika's thief ability can do and how long he can use the ability before it dissipates.

Roland Jones posted:

I think it's in part because "Kurapika is OP" is something of a thing here,

That's a thing everywhere which is understandable. When Kurapika shows up after the HA arc he's got the most developed ability while Gon and Killua had just learned fundamentals. His ability is still one of the more flexible ones in the series, allowing him access to multiple types of Nen, and a way to counteract the affinity problem. And with this new power he's got even more tools at his disposal since he can take other people's powers. I don't think he's OP but that wasn't after Greed Island where we saw a wider variety of Nen abilities plus a greater emphasis on using fundamentals in combat.

quote:

Plus, him getting clowned in such an ignominious way affects how he's remembered.
Morel still to this day is my favorite character. I don't fault any of his opponents because he was just so much more experienced than they were.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

A fusion of Morel and Mel would just utterly destroy the setting.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Leol even had the advantage. He just lost due to something he could never have seen coming. The guy trapped underwater sucking too much oxygen from the underground room they were in using his stupidly strong lungs. Had Leol chose an area without a ceiling that would not have happened, but he can't really be blamed for it, cause no one would have seen that coming.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

MonsterEnvy posted:

Leol even had the advantage. He just lost due to something he could never have seen coming. The guy trapped underwater sucking too much oxygen from the underground room they were in using his stupidly strong lungs. Had Leol chose an area without a ceiling that would not have happened, but he can't really be blamed for it, cause no one would have seen that coming.

That's the explanation to get past the censors, the real answer is that Leol is a loving lightweight and can't keep his powers going when stoned.

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012
don't hotbox your cat, kids.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Roland Jones posted:

So Knuckle has the most powerful ability of all time?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Roland Jones posted:

Nah the old man spider died pretty easily