Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Overwatch just added a neat feature: turn highlights (think Play of the Game, but more general) into video files using the client.

Neat because: 1) you don't need OBS, and 2) you can record using a higher quality/fps setting than your rig can normally run. Would be hella neat if we got this.

The OW feature teaser if you care:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OkYJlPMdWNA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

I would be happier if HOTS got the duplicate reduction feature that's coming up for Overwatch. I've gotten the Pale Horse about 30 times, now.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

They should have just made a POTG->gfycat button a long time ago

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

I want a dota 2 style in game spectator system but no other moba seems to want to implement that.

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.
If the game would export my sick plays without me having to do any work that would be an awesome feature

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Libertine posted:

If the game would export my sick plays without me having to do any work that would be an awesome feature

The game already exported all your sick plays.

Sensual Simian
Jun 7, 2004

summer jorts
Does anybody have suggestions for a killer Thrall build? He has so many talent quests that I get overwhelmed with potential damage/sustain numbers.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

AlmightyBob posted:

I want a dota 2 style in game spectator system but no other moba seems to want to implement that.

There's a notion that such a system makes it easier to exploit and remove the fog of war. Obviously they have the technology, since you can spec custom games.

Airspace
Nov 5, 2010

Macaluso posted:

You misspelled "Garrosh", the correct Hellscream choice

You know what, I've come around to your thinking.

Garrosh sounds like a cooler name than Grommash, because we know that's what Blizzard is going to go with.

But Grom without the potatoes is cooler and should be in the game.

In fact bring them both in so that Grom can call his son a total fuckup, which is what Garrosh is.

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

BrianBoitano posted:

There's a notion that such a system makes it easier to exploit and remove the fog of war. Obviously they have the technology, since you can spec custom games.

When I played dota one of the things that really helped me get into it was the ability to go through a list of active tournaments and just start watching pros, all in game. Add in the "beginner" commentary they have on the international and I could actually watch to learn to play better.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Airspace posted:

In fact bring them both in so that Grom can call his son a total fuckup, which is what Garrosh is.

This is probably the best reason for wanting both of them in the game.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Sensual Simian posted:

Does anybody have suggestions for a killer Thrall build? He has so many talent quests that I get overwhelmed with potential damage/sustain numbers.

Pick Q talents based on the map and comps, otherwise take E talents until you're a monster in melee range. The Windfury poo poo complements eachother well and helps you catch up on previous uncompleted quests.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

You can get fancy with the active and the d talents, but yeah E talents are always good. And the q quest Tha gives you two charges is also the safest choice

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
His poke is nowhere near what it used to be, though.

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
there was this racist piece of shit in your av so I fixed it
you're welcome
pay it forward~

SirSamVimes posted:

I really wish people would stop taking Lava Wave in ranked games.

Same but Last Rites. Malth is overtuned because of his Momento Mori/Black Harvest build and Tormented Souls is a crucial part of it.

If you like catching people at low health and killing them, go play a Hero actually designed for it like Genji or Illidan.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
I like Lava Wave. If we're on a big map and have CC already, I think it's useful.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Varian is so OP. He does your assasdin and your warrior quests at the same time.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

peer posted:

One difference between the two, made very clear if you've played the most recent WoW expansion (you shouldn't): while Reaper is treated as a teenager who wears a trenchcoat and convinces himself he's tough while everyone laughs behind his back, Blizzard desperately wants you to think Illidan is cool and badass, to the point of having A Literal God tell you how great he is.

I know Tracer makes fun of him but does anyone else not take him seriously in-game?

Sensual Simian
Jun 7, 2004

summer jorts
I play Winston so yes, I take Reaper seriously.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

"I don't think even children are afraid of you." -Winston

"So what's the plan Gabe? It is okay if I call you Gabe, right?" -Sombra

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted
I think McCree mocks him, as well. Also there's

I don't doubt that Reaper was conceived as a Serious Badass, but I wouldn't say that's the direction they've gone since then.

edit: oh there's also Roadhog's "nice mask" line

peer fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Jun 23, 2017

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Junkrat also makes fun of him during in-spawn banter. "And I thought I was supposed to be the comic relief!"

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Sensual Simian posted:

I've been playing Thrall a lot lately. I actually like that he has quite a lot of situational picks.

1. Pretty much always grab the one to get the second charge of chain lightning.
2. Mana Tide is the safe choice, but if your team needs a little extra CC or the other team is tank-heavy the feral spirit quest is a good choice.
3. Follow through most of the time, but if you feel like the movement speed would be good the Windfury quest is also good. Once you complete it it's crazy good just having 15% extra movement speed all the time.
4. Either ult, again really depends on your/the enemy team comp. If you need a good stun/just want to kill fools grab Sunder. Earthquake is probably a little safer since it's way easier to use effectively and has a really good level 20 upgrade.
5. I normally grab the one for the instant heal on D here. It's a really reliable & good heal.
6. The 3 hits on last hit of windfury one most of the time, but if the enemy team is really tanky the feral spirit talent here is fantastic. Extra good if you picked up that feral spirit quest at level 4. You can eat up tanks and it's a huge power spike in the right conditions.
7. His new blink talent here is the best most of the time, but if you feel your team needs a little more sustain and you got Earthquake at level 10, shields on earthquake is still really good, especially on maps where you gotta take/defend a stationary point.

I've had some funny/actually useful plays with the upgraded sunder to just become Earthshaker from Dota but it doesn't feel as impactful as the other two given the ability's long cooldown.

Sensual Simian
Jun 7, 2004

summer jorts
This is very great. Thank you for the advice, there's just so much situational stuff going on with him now that I get overwhelmed by all the options. This helps a lot.

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
you're welcome
pay it forward~
One thing I'd say about the Feral spirit quest is that it handicaps your waveclear in the early game until you complete it, because if you don't hit a Hero with it it resets you to 0/7. Once you clear it I think it is the stronger talent over Mana Tide though.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
i just played my second game of hots ever and almost won it from behind because everyone was busy clusterfucking in mid so i just ran down the bottom and blew everything up

almost had the third tower down before i died and then they killed everyone else so i just went fuk it

anyway i took the assassin bundle for my free twenty heroes a while back, what's a good hero out of that to start with because butcher is fun at higher levels but early on ehhhhh

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Alpha Mayo posted:

One thing I'd say about the Feral spirit quest is that it handicaps your waveclear in the early game until you complete it, because if you don't hit a Hero with it it resets you to 0/7. Once you clear it I think it is the stronger talent over Mana Tide though.

Real talk: I actually also think the extra damage on chain lightning quest is pretty good, but requires a lot of finesse to get those early stacks. Once you do get 20 stacks so it prioritizes heroes you basically automatically get the last 20 stacks and it gives Thrall a weirdly strong AOE move. When you consider any team fight is gonna bounce all 3 times the amount of damage it adds is kind of crazy.

My most common build is actually probably that, mana tide, then all windfury talents and ult depending on the situation (though Sundering is way more common).

My "anti tank build" would be the extra charge of chain lighting, feral spirit, follow through, whatever ult, windfury, feral spirit again.

I do feel Thrall is a bit weak overall right now though which is sad cuz I like playing him so much.

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn
I love getting 45% or more hero damage as Chromie, usually with insane KDR to match. And I'm getting better at aim every match I play! Like Azmodan, long range artillery and skillshots are so satisfying to land. Chromie and Azmo together is my favorite two hero combo right now. If his black pool dunk and your Q/W combo hit a single target, they will often splat from full HP. Big gently caress you to non-burst healers and back line DPS assassins.

Thrall and Tassadar have both been buffed since I lasted played them for free. Which one should I buy first? Thrall sounds like a more drastic rework.

thuly
Jun 19, 2005

Transcending history, and the world, a tale of MS Paint and animes, endlessly retold.
Re: assassin bundle.

It's rarely a bad time to play Nazeebo, and Valla is evergreen good. GulDan and Greymane are both good at what they do.

Honestly just play nazeebo and learn how to spider people. He's good at a lot of things all game long and if a game drags out enough for you to hit 175 stacks of voodoo with the level 20 quest he's an absolute monster.

E: Thrall is in a really good place now and feels real good to play. There was some handwringing over the nerf to his passive heal but it wound up alright. He has a lot of weirdish quests so it might take a couple of games to feel confident on him again but they're fairly easy to figure out how to finish quickly.

thuly fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Jun 23, 2017

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

I love new thrall. I would play him more but there's so many other people I love

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
you're welcome
pay it forward~

Magna Kaser posted:

Real talk: I actually also think the extra damage on chain lightning quest is pretty good, but requires a lot of finesse to get those early stacks. Once you do get 20 stacks so it prioritizes heroes you basically automatically get the last 20 stacks and it gives Thrall a weirdly strong AOE move. When you consider any team fight is gonna bounce all 3 times the amount of damage it adds is kind of crazy.

My most common build is actually probably that, mana tide, then all windfury talents and ult depending on the situation (though Sundering is way more common).

My "anti tank build" would be the extra charge of chain lighting, feral spirit, follow through, whatever ult, windfury, feral spirit again.

I do feel Thrall is a bit weak overall right now though which is sad cuz I like playing him so much.

Not to take away from that talent, but i think it is funny. "Makes Chain Lightning work the way you'd expect" is the reward. If you CAN manage it, it is very powerful. But 20 stacks when it can bounce to minions is pretty hard, though a bit better on 2 lane maps.

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
you're welcome
pay it forward~

p-hop posted:

I love getting 45% or more hero damage as Chromie, usually with insane KDR to match. And I'm getting better at aim every match I play! Like Azmodan, long range artillery and skillshots are so satisfying to land. Chromie and Azmo together is my favorite two hero combo right now. If his black pool dunk and your Q/W combo hit a single target, they will often splat from full HP. Big gently caress you to non-burst healers and back line DPS assassins.

Thrall and Tassadar have both been buffed since I lasted played them for free. Which one should I buy first? Thrall sounds like a more drastic rework.

Even though Thrall has been reworked, I wouldn't call it a buff because he lost so much self-sustain and a couple of his talents are wonky, so comes out about even. He is funner to play though. I've never touched Tassadar so don't know much about him, other than hating the ones who never shield anyone.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
It's weird hitting 4 heroes gives 1 stack, though.

Unrelated; I'm unconvinced Last Rites is any good. I was skeptical of torrent of souls on Malth at first as it had no base damage but it just seems so much better in practice.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Cuntellectual posted:

Unrelated; I'm unconvinced Last Rites is any good. I was skeptical of torrent of souls on Malth at first as it had no base damage but it just seems so much better in practice.

It technically just marks people, but you're also holding down q and spamming soul rip the whole time. It's like turning yourself into mega Arthas.

thuly
Jun 19, 2005

Transcending history, and the world, a tale of MS Paint and animes, endlessly retold.
Torrent is his better ult but last rites is cooler

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

I want Wilfred Fizzlebang, who is poo poo but has a Butcher-esque passive where he collects soul shards until he gets enough to summon JARAXXUS, EREDAR LORD OF THE BURNING LEGION who promptly kills him and takes over as your hero. His stats would be above average, and his spells (and ults) would be souped-up versions of Wilfred's lovely spells. Basically a late-game carry character where the goal is to not die and eventually become awesome and win.

thuly
Jun 19, 2005

Convection Kaelthas?

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Alpha Mayo posted:

Not to take away from that talent, but i think it is funny. "Makes Chain Lightning work the way you'd expect" is the reward. If you CAN manage it, it is very powerful. But 20 stacks when it can bounce to minions is pretty hard, though a bit better on 2 lane maps.

Yeah, it isn't the easiest but I've never really had too much issue doing, and the map does play a big part in that. Maps with early objectives multiple people are going to come to make it pretty easy, like dragon/towers/tributes, especially when there are no creeps to take the hits.

Also I might be misunderstanding it but if you do get up to 40 stacks, even at level 20~ the bounces will actually do more damage than the initial target, which means you should actually target someone next to who you want to kill instead of that person.

Still, it's way less weird than the crazy level 16 one where it does more slows as long as you target different heroes and if you hit all 5 you get extra damage or something?? I've never actually picked it/seen it picked so I'm not sure if you can alternate between two heroes or you need to target completely different heroes, hit all 5, and then get the extra damage.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

You can alternate between two heroes. You maintain the bonus as long as you don't zap the same hero twice in a row.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
you're welcome
pay it forward~

Cuntellectual posted:

It's not that Last Rites is bad, it just defeats the purpose of Malthael in coordinated play.

That said, I have been experimenting with a duelist build for QM and this works well. By well I mean 'hilariously broken 1v1'

1. Fear the Reaper is a bit better than Death's Reach IMO, because it gives you the one thing Malth lacks - an escape. It can also be used offensively if you wish (while Death's Reach is only offensive)
4. Die Alone. Core of the build. Makes your Soul Rip hit very hard, the catch being only one Hero can have your mark at a time.
7. Cold Hand. You will be unescapable with this. Mortality isn't much of a damage increase, because your W isn't meant for damage anyway and you already deal a ton of %life damage.
10. Last Rites. It is a little annoying, because the range is pretty short and it has a delay before going off. If someone else gets the last hit, you don't get credit for the quest and still have to face the full cooldown. I really don't like this talent.
13. Soul Siphon. Raises your healing from heros from 3% to 4%, a 33% increase in healing. The typical pick, Ethereal Existence, isn't as useful since only 1 target will usually be marked so you don't get much +armor. The other two talents aren't very good.
16. Soul Collector. Increased range on Soul Rip, and reduces CD from 2s to 1.5s. This is a significant increase in both DPS and healing. Must have talent.
20. Little tricky. The Angel of Death is bugged and doesn't reduce existing CD properly. And Last Rites can't be relied on for healing anyway. Final Curtain is a solid pick. No One Can Stop Death isn't bad but it is planning for failure.

How the build works: It actually comes online early, at level 4, because Die Alone is the core of the build. Simply use your E to catch your target alone, then stay on them. Use W every time it is up. Stutter step your AAs.
Hold Q down the entire time. This goes with all Malthael builds, he is basically a 'hold Q down' simulator. Soul Rip won't go off if no one in range has a mark, so this won't waste mana. And it's mana cost is so low it should be used constantly for the damage/healing it does.
Don't be afraid to mark multiple heroes. An extra 100% damage to a 2nd hero is more than the 75% to a single hero! Plus the healing will keep you alive. Balancing whether it is worth it to be bursting down 1 hero vs doing lower damage to multiple is situational.

Last Rites is still mediocre with this build, and to be honest I still wonder if Tormented Souls is better. If I got someone down to 35% by holding Q, chances are I could finish them off by holding Q.

The greatest thing about this build is catching Valeera with it. She will use her smoke bomb when she realizes she is dying quickly, but Q + Mark goes through Smoke bomb. Just stay at the edge of the cloud and hold Q down and she will die. Feels good.