Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Andrigaar posted:

The queue times keep getting worse for this game. That or I only have the itch to play at the wrong times.

I miss the days when you could just join a server for a shooter and play non stop for however long you wanted while the maps rotated. These days I have to wait for a lovely matchmaker to find a new game after every single match and it really kills my will to play. Even Overwatch, with approximately eleven billion players, takes several minutes every time. Sometimes it feels like I spend more time looking for a match than actually playing. It's loving ridiculous.

Wafflecopper fucked around with this message at 08:35 on Jun 23, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

amitlu
Nov 13, 2005

I don't get why games don't have the matchmaking lobby just be a drop-in/drop-out FFA game so you can at least jump around and shoot eachother while waiting for games even in individual queues. Reflex does that and it's a really low budget / price niche arena shooter. Blizzard and id should be able to manage it.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

At least one of these goes right between the dude's legs and is an obvious miss, but the first one is clearly some bullshit lag / hit detection shenanigans

Wafflecopper posted:

I miss the days when you could just join a server for a shooter and play non stop for however long you wanted while the maps rotated. These days I have to wait for a lovely matchmaker to find a new game after every single match and it really kills my will to play. Even Overwatch, with approximately eleven billion players, takes several minutes every time. Sometimes it feels like I spend more time looking for a match than actually playing. It's loving ridiculous.

Its real sad how far the industry has gone backwards when it comes to server browsers.

Its all because of consoles and dumb publishers who think gamers are morons. And gamers who are morons.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
Someone should make a third party server browser for quake. Something that just peeks in and sees what maps are running and how many people are playing. You could call it Quakepeek or maybe even QuakeSpy or something. I wonder if Lowtax might want to get involved?

The Ol Spicy Keychain
Jan 17, 2013

I MEPHISTO MY OWN ASSHOLE

Lol so I guess I can go back to ignoring this game until they fix it. The hit detection was loving awful during the last beta test I participated in and it seems like it's still bad.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
So if I shoot someone in the crotch, should that instantly gib a character?

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

amitlu posted:

I don't get why games don't have the matchmaking lobby just be a drop-in/drop-out FFA game so you can at least jump around and shoot eachother while waiting for games even in individual queues. Reflex does that and it's a really low budget / price niche arena shooter. Blizzard and id should be able to manage it.
Why does the matchmaking and the loading and the pre-round preparation and the voting all have to be different things to wait for? It shouldn't be impossible to combine some of these!

Uncle Kitchener posted:

I really hope so, but with the current trends in the industry, I don't really know what to expect. The full game could still be riddle with micro transactions but ad long as they're for cosmetics, it's fine. But I still highly doubt it'll be the case.

Jose Mengelez posted:

I just hope they don't have new champions and maps as dlc packs for those that already bought the game like doom 2016.

The devs have been really opaque and non communicative on certain issues, but the F2P/paid model is not one of them.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=quake+champions+f2p+model

If you buy the game you get all of the characters, so all in-game currency you earn can be put towards cosmetics.

F2P players always have access to Ranger, all maps and all gameplay modes. After playing 2 to 4 matches, the player earns enough currency to "rent" another character for 24 hours. Rarely players earn premium currency as in-game rewards, which can be used to permanently unlock characters, realistically 1 or 2 in the first month playing.

This concept of 'renting' characters is awful in theory, but in practice I find it a good fair f2p model. It's balanced in the beta with the estimates I gave but if it took say, 5 wins instead of 2 to try out another character it would be bullshit.

Heran Bago fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Jun 23, 2017

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you

Heran Bago posted:

This concept of 'renting' characters is awful in theory, but in practice I find it a good fair f2p model. It's balanced in the beta with the estimates I gave but if it took say, 5 wins instead of 2 to try out another character it would be bullshit.

Whenever I feel like criticizing these developers for their "rent or pay a flat free for everything" scheme, I remind myself that people were falling all over themselves to pay $140usd for the Battlefield1/Battlefront pre-order deluxe whatever edition.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Love Stole the Day posted:

Whenever I feel like criticizing these developers for their "rent or pay a flat free for everything" scheme, I remind myself that people were falling all over themselves to pay $140usd for the Battlefield1/Battlefront pre-order deluxe whatever edition.

Many people have paid $15,000 to pre-order videogame spaceships which don't have a release date yet

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Uncle Kitchener posted:

So if I shoot someone in the crotch, should that instantly gib a character?

Think of it this way, you're potentially gibbing millions.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS

A.o.D. posted:

Think of it this way, you're potentially gibbing millions.

What if he's got Balls of Steel(Tm)?

cougar cub
Jun 28, 2004

amitlu posted:

Yeah I agree. It's hard to want to spend an hour playing QC duels because half the time will be load screens and matchmaking searches.

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

My coworker and I already went back to QL duels. The flow is just much better plus creature comforts like picmip, green keel and other settings.

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

Social Animal posted:

My coworker and I already went back to QL duels. The flow is just much better plus creature comforts like picmip, green keel and other settings.

What name did you play under in QL?

MysteriousStranger
Mar 3, 2016
My "vacation" is a euphemism for war tourism in Ukraine for some "bloody work" to escape my boring techie job and family.

Ask me about my warcrimes.
Game is still fun, I still find matches though yeah it takes a bit. It needs a full release and an injection of maps TBH. I'm in discord now if people want to get their frag on. I'm game for any gametype.

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

On Terra Firma posted:

What name did you play under in QL?

Wabbylegs.

And yeah I think I would like QC more if I had my gaming pc with me. I just really want the final released version, I feel like this beta stuff is ruining it for me.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
New Dev Q&A Answers

Some of the hot points summarized:
  • Immediate work is being put into performance, netcode and stability, with further-out work relating to more tutorials, training maps, UI/UX improvements and "progress loops" to keep players coming back every week.
  • Clutch will be getting a new passive (hydralic dodge) and a second-stage to his active (Plasma Mining Drill) to give him a little more mobility and power.
  • Hitboxes, for the most part, are lower-poly versions of the character's base, un-customized model, with some extra thickness or filling in where balance demands.
  • Speedometer coming soon, along with training maps and other such tools.
  • Super Nailgun getting a buff to match the stats of the QL Plasma Gun.
  • Replay system is in development alongside other spectator tools like a minimap.
  • Steam version confirmed, but will still use a Bethesda.net login. The only advantage is that you won't have to use their terrible launcher, but that's a pretty big advantage.

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

Is reflex arena worth the five dollar sales price? Looks just like reskinned cpma but I've heard good things. Only bad thing I've heard I think is that it's dead?

cougar cub
Jun 28, 2004

It's pretty much CPMA with a few tweaks. It never really took off and it's player base is tiny. If you are willing to get on discord you'll be able to find someone to play with, although expect them to be decent players.

http://steamcharts.com/app/328070

MysteriousStranger
Mar 3, 2016
My "vacation" is a euphemism for war tourism in Ukraine for some "bloody work" to escape my boring techie job and family.

The Kins posted:

New Dev Q&A Answers

Some of the hot points summarized:
  • Immediate work is being put into performance, netcode and stability, with further-out work relating to more tutorials, training maps, UI/UX improvements and "progress loops" to keep players coming back every week.
  • Clutch will be getting a new passive (hydralic dodge) and a second-stage to his active (Plasma Mining Drill) to give him a little more mobility and power.
  • Hitboxes, for the most part, are lower-poly versions of the character's base, un-customized model, with some extra thickness or filling in where balance demands.
  • Speedometer coming soon, along with training maps and other such tools.
  • Super Nailgun getting a buff to match the stats of the QL Plasma Gun.
  • Replay system is in development alongside other spectator tools like a minimap.
  • Steam version confirmed, but will still use a Bethesda.net login. The only advantage is that you won't have to use their terrible launcher, but that's a pretty big advantage.

All sounds good! I'd ask for two more things:

1. Reduce the amount of Nyx can stay invisible.
2. Reduce the amount of tick damage Slorags vomit does.

amitlu
Nov 13, 2005

Social Animal posted:

Is reflex arena worth the five dollar sales price? Looks just like reskinned cpma but I've heard good things. Only bad thing I've heard I think is that it's dead?

For five bucks I'd say so. It's a really well made game and is ridiculously smooth and runs amazing. It's kind of my go-to to just load up and jump around shooting stuff for a few minutes here and there because of that. It doesn't have a lot of players, but it does have botmatches and like I said there is a lobby mechanic to the matchmaking that'll let you fight people while waiting.

Bloodmobile
Jun 15, 2012
The best part of the e3 patch was where they made the gauntlet completely broken again

MysteriousStranger
Mar 3, 2016

waters!!!!

EDIT- love has a picture around here where something like 88% of his kills were all rail with a 40%+ accuracy despite playing on a US VA server from Seoul Korea of all places, I think I went 40% 40% that match as well.

MysteriousStranger fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Jun 25, 2017

cl_gibcount 9999
Aug 15, 2002

anyone run into player(s) being completely invisible?

can't tell if it was just a bug or more likely a hack, but had just had a round where some dude on scalebearer was invisible for the entire game (including his projectiles)

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you

MysteriousStranger posted:

EDIT- love has a picture around here where something like 88% of his kills were all rail with a 40%+ accuracy despite playing on a US VA server from Seoul Korea of all places, I think I went 40% 40% that match as well.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

:what: : "Excellent."

:what: : "Impressive."

:what: : "Quad Damage."

:what: : "Ballet?"

:what: : "From the grave."

I know you have seen a lot of Quake matches in your day Mr. Announcer. To you this is probably mundane but for me going on a kill streak is super intense and gratifying. At least pretend to be enthusiastic.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
That reminds me. They need to split the announcer and the hero volume controls.

I want to hear the announcements, but I have no desire to hear the character's chatter. Not that I've played more than 20 minutes in the past few weeks.

cougar cub
Jun 28, 2004

I've been in load screens for the past few weeks - I also haven't managed to play more than 20 minutes.

MysteriousStranger
Mar 3, 2016

It's been solid all day for me.

MysteriousStranger
Mar 3, 2016

Heran Bago posted:

:what: : "Excellent."

:what: : "Impressive."

:what: : "Quad Damage."

:what: : "Ballet?"

:what: : "From the grave."

I know you have seen a lot of Quake matches in your day Mr. Announcer. To you this is probably mundane but for me going on a kill streak is super intense and gratifying. At least pretend to be enthusiastic.

Those aren't kill streaks, I got a few killing sprees, two rampages, multiple net masters, in a match with Love today. Announcer still sounds the same. You want the UT announcer who orgasms as she announces or something?

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
The current in-game announcer is a placeholder. According to the latest developer Q&A, the announcer that you can hear say "Excellent" in the first gameplay trailer will be added in the future.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
So I just started the beta, does it always take a calendar year to find a game? Is there really so few people playing?

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012

Knifegrab posted:

So I just started the beta, does it always take a calendar year to find a game? Is there really so few people playing?

Hop in the Discord. Stranger and I usually play in the American evenings every other day or so. He's more regular about it than me, though.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
I'm probably gonna do that too because I love the game so far (barring some of the stuff that people already know about like the terribad client and garbo hit reg) but these wait times are killing me.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

I'm really digging this, great feel to it. I've been playing Quake 3 again recently, and this feels different of course but not in a bad way, I like the smooth and weightier feel of it, gives it's own vibe while still feeling fast paced and Quake-tastic. The weapons feel pretty good too, and the maps seem pretty solid, hopefully this is a hit.

MysteriousStranger
Mar 3, 2016

Knifegrab posted:

No, not really. There are a few tricks though.

Some regions are more active than others and some data centers are hopping and others are down. Unless you are in a really active one (I'm on VA and the wait times aren't bad) check more than one data center and it will search multiples for a match.

Things are "slower" because of the huge tournament going on, again though impact of this is by region.

You can bypass all of this by playing custom matches. As soon as the map ends the owner just loads the next map. If you open the global chat and spam looking for game someone will pick you up. Just be aware every now and then you get someone who wants to play sacrifice only.

As stated, get on discord. If you already have your team there that's less searching it has to do.

That all said the Bethesda client is loving garbage and this needs to be moved to Steam asap.

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

I'm in Europe right now and have no problems finding a game. Not going to lie I'm a little worried when I move back to NA that my Quake options will suck.

MysteriousStranger
Mar 3, 2016

Social Animal posted:

I'm in Europe right now and have no problems finding a game. Not going to lie I'm a little worried when I move back to NA that my Quake options will suck.

I'm USA East. Even with just the VA data center checked (I ping 8-16 to this one) it takes roughly 2-4 mins to search a match. I get pick up games through the chat, or some high level players who are on my friends list in their discord on the regular and you can get 5-6 games in a row with no wait times other than swapping people in and out if someone has to go.

More people should really idle in discord. If you have 4+ people it's easy just to grab people off the global chat and play that way.

@Love, where's that screen shot, from before the tenseko incident!

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012

MysteriousStranger posted:

@Love, where's that screen shot, from before the tenseko incident!

I'm so sorry dude but I didn't save the screenshot :c I just hit the button but forgot to alt-tab to mspaint afterward. :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

I tried this game over the weekend, only deathmatch in US East, Every game was Q3DM6, the abilities are meh.

It's a Quake game alright, but definitely doesn't feel different except for the stupid gimmicks each champion has.

Does this game not have server side hit detection like all the other Quakes? I had to lead my shots depending on my ping.

Nfcknblvbl fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Jul 10, 2017