Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

The most President of the United States wears goddamn tighty whities lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Quiet Feet posted:

:same: I thought it was one of his original works. My dad had that one on vinyl.

For the longest time as a teenager, I only had four CDs. They were the Batman Forever soundtrack, Superunknown, whichever Weird Al disc had Amish Paradise on it, and Gravity Kills' debut album.

Gonna blare Seal on repeat and if my office mates don't like it they can suck it Kissed by a Rose motherfuckers

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

HOTLANTA MAN posted:

I'm thankful my mom has leukemia and her chemo pills are slowly eating her away while I clean up after she vomits in her bed and the doctors tell me she's going to lose sight in one eye and might not make it to Christmas.

Oh wait no I'm not thankful for that, I wish we'd both mercifully die instead.

kiimo posted:

rip dem tittays

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

The Heroes the Vikings Deserve
Lipstick Apathy
lol bulls

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.
loving Bulls. Garpax needs to go in the worst drat way.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
Kings pulled a 49ers and got their guy at 15 that they wanted at 10 and got an extra pick

DOIN WORK VLADE

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
I thought the dread specter of basketball talk had finally fled for another year :argh:

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF

Its Rinaldo posted:

I thought the dread specter of basketball talk had finally fled for another year :argh:

Basketball is good and when did you get a new name?

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

I just realized that my PS2 is 15 years old. :stare:

And I'm playing a 20 year old game on it.

I'm an old.

JPrime
Jul 4, 2007

tales of derring-do, bad and good luck tales!
College Slice
the first CD i bought with my own money was The Beatles Revolver, I think...my first job was scorekeeping for a basketball league @ the local boys & girls club, with my first paycheck I got that CD and a CD player for my room. :corsair:

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
nice panty line lol

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

https://twitter.com/Dennis4Smith/status/265665266032189440

Filthy Casual
Aug 13, 2014

Quiet Feet posted:

I just realized that my PS2 is 15 years old. :stare:

And I'm playing a 20 year old game on it.

I'm an old.

My SNES is old enough to be working a dead end retail job after wallowing through a useless post-graduate degree right now.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

Filthy Casual posted:

My SNES is old enough to be working a dead end retail job after wallowing through a useless post-graduate degree right now.

I can't wait until Nintendo releases the SNES Classic this fall and I have to pay $250 on ebay to get one.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

wandler20 posted:

I can't wait until Nintendo releases the SNES Classic this fall and I have to pay $250 on ebay to get one.

I feel like Nintendo's distribution policy is a passive aggressive response to the WiiU failing

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
What is the cheapest and easiest way for me to play Wii Sports (Wii Tennis mainly) and Mariokart at home? Should I just buy an original Wii off of Craigslist?

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Yeah, a used wii is dirt cheap because there's literally a 100 million of the things.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Can't swing a cat without hitting a used Wii

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Does anyone here own a house with a pool

Is it cool and good or do you hate it

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

I grew up with a huge inground pool as a kid and it was cool for some things, but way too much work in general.

Though if you absolutely love swimming and live somewhere where you don't have to winterize it... then well go you. I swam so much as a kid that sometime as a teenager I was just over it. Haven't enjoyed swimming at all since then.

They absolutely suck when you have to winterize them though, so much work to close and reopen them and winter just does hell to them.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
Every person I have ever known who has had a pool absolutely hates it

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Quite a bit of experience with a pool

You live where it freezes so you have to drain, a little more work.

1) your electrical will shoot up
2) set aside $150 a month for a pool guy. You save $100 a month doing it yourself but you'll gently caress it up trust me
3) heat it via solar. You won't have 85 degree spa but you'll have a nice non chilly as gently caress pool and it won't jack up you on your bill

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

If anybody wants to see, there's a Donkey Kong kill screen coming up.
Pillbug

Amy Pole Her posted:

Quite a bit of experience with a pool

You live where it freezes so you have to drain, a little more work.

1) your electrical will shoot up
2) set aside $150 a month for a pool guy. You save $100 a month doing it yourself but you'll gently caress it up trust me
3) heat it via solar. You won't have 85 degree spa but you'll have a nice non chilly as gently caress pool and it won't jack up you on your bill

Can't speak to the heat, but your electrical and water bill will go up. So be prepared for that. I'd agree on the pool guy. We didn't use one and the first year was a study in futility in keeping it clear. This was a legit above ground with a deck, so couldn't use some of the automated scrubbers for it -- these would've helped things.

We really love swimming as does our kid, so once we figure out if this house is where we'll live for a while, we'll put an in-ground in.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Thanks for all the feedback. We are looking at houses right now and we are kind of divided on pools. I think it would be great if we want to entertain, have kids, etc. but Mrs. Ehud isn't sold.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Show her this:
https://www.cdc.gov/homeandrecreationalsafety/water-safety/waterinjuries-factsheet.html

Pools are a risk factor for children, especially very small children. If you get one you need to secure access to it with fences and gates - you can be liable even for neighborhood children sneaking in and drowning in your pool without your knowledge if you don't adequately secure it.

From the Risk Factors tab:

quote:

Children: Children ages 1 to 4 have the highest drowning rates. In 2014, among children 1 to 4 years old who died from an unintentional injury, one-third died from drowning.1,2 Among children ages 1 to 4, most drownings occur in home swimming pools.2 Drowning is responsible for more deaths among children 1-4 than any other cause except congenital anomalies (birth defects).1 Among those 1-14, fatal drowning remains the second-leading cause of unintentional injury-related death behind motor vehicle crashes.1

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

wandler20 posted:

You should just get one of those third party machines that places NES, SNES, and Genesis games. They make one that has an hdmi port.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

wandler20 posted:

I bought two classics on release and flipped one for £300 :grin:

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Leperflesh posted:

Show her this:
https://www.cdc.gov/homeandrecreationalsafety/water-safety/waterinjuries-factsheet.html

Pools are a risk factor for children, especially very small children. If you get one you need to secure access to it with fences and gates - you can be liable even for neighborhood children sneaking in and drowning in your pool without your knowledge if you don't adequately secure it.

The pool at this house we are seeing today is secured with a gate.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

pubic works project posted:

You should just get one of those third party machines that places NES, SNES, and Genesis games. They make one that has an hdmi port.

I always considered it but I got the NES Classic and put like 300 games on it so I'll probably do the same with the SNES version when it comes out. It's nice that it just works and I don't have to mess around with emulators and my 3 and 7 year old can just turn it on and play.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

https://twitter.com/BraPalvin19/status/877602530351489025

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.

Leperflesh posted:

Show her this:

You are like a living, breathing public service announcement for all kinds of topics and it is fascinating to me. Never change :allears:

Ehud, the wife and I are wondering the same thing. Our lease is up next June so we are deciding on a new home build (that has a community pool) or an existing home with a pool. We live in AZ so no electrical heating will be required...I think...I've never owned a pool before. We are both kind of leaning towards having one, but hearing stories about pool havers hating it makes me more than a little nervous. I'm not exactly Mr. Home Keeper Upper Man.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

wandler20 posted:

I always considered it but I got the NES Classic and put like 300 games on it so I'll probably do the same with the SNES version when it comes out. It's nice that it just works and I don't have to mess around with emulators and my 3 and 7 year old can just turn it on and play.

Ah, well I have a few old Genesis games, so I'm going the 3-in-1 machine route. I need to play my classic X-Men game!

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

Ehud posted:

The pool at this house we are seeing today is secured with a gate.

Not sure about North Carolina (or south, I don't remember which you are) but in Florida its law to have the removable fence surrounding your pool

Usually you can't buy it without. It's against the law.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

wandler20 posted:

You can add games to the classic? No poo poo? I thought you were limited to the 30 games it came with?

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

Leperflesh posted:

Show her this:

You can't really even get home insurance if you have a pool and don't have a fence.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

weird Asian candy posted:

You are like a living, breathing public service announcement for all kinds of topics and it is fascinating to me. Never change :allears:

Ehud, the wife and I are wondering the same thing. Our lease is up next June so we are deciding on a new home build (that has a community pool) or an existing home with a pool. We live in AZ so no electrical heating will be required...I think...I've never owned a pool before. We are both kind of leaning towards having one, but hearing stories about pool havers hating it makes me more than a little nervous. I'm not exactly Mr. Home Keeper Upper Man.

It seems like it comes down to whether or not you can afford to have somebody else maintain it for you. People who hate it seem to hate it because they take care of it themselves.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Growing up with a pool, the biggest issue is people are gonna always want to use your pool

You are gonna get Milpooled pretty hard

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

You can add games to the classic? No poo poo? I thought you were limited to the 30 games it came with?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xTbdcUtq1HE

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

Ehud posted:

Does anyone here own a house with a pool

Is it cool and good or do you hate it

I'm about to...

If you get a SWG (no chlorine adding, and pretty much autopilot once you find the right duty cycle), autofill and large-ish cartridge filter (no backwashing, clean annually) it'll mostly take care of itself. Variable speed pumps can drop your monthly electrical cost to below $30-- at low flow rates, it doesn't take a lot of watts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Growing up with a pool, the biggest issue is people are gonna always want to use your pool

You are gonna get Milpooled pretty hard

By extension, you gotta keep your house "guest-ready" at all times, and I hope you love the sounds of screaming children because kids can't play in a pool without shrieking at the top of their lungs.

As a grouchy curmudgeon it sounds like hell to me, but I get why some people love it.

Thanks, I guess? :)

I like to crush people's dreams by telling them facts about why their dreams are bad.

• Locked thread