Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
That makes sense. And super agreed on preferring Space Vikings to Wolfmarine Wolfdudeguys. I'm surprised that there's so much mirrored between the Imperium and Chaos factions, honestly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

The Bee posted:

That makes sense. And super agreed on preferring Space Vikings to Wolfmarine Wolfdudeguys. I'm surprised that there's so much mirrored between the Imperium and Chaos factions, honestly.

Option 1: It's about Dualism, and is a deep discussion on the nature of things and philosophy.

Option 2: It meant they only had to come up with half as many legion concepts

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Fluff question: is there one tyranid hive mind or does each fleet have its own hive mind?

ThNextGreenLantern
Feb 13, 2012
8th Edition Battle Report!

The opposition: 900ish points of Tau Crisis Suits (One squad is waiting to deep strike and Farsight is hiding)

The home team: 900ish points of Blood Angel Dreadnoughts

The field of battle after enemy reinforcement arrived

A few turns later

Highlights include:
-Librarian Dreadnought wrecking things with a combination of Smite and Blood Boil
-A Furioso Dreadnought going from 8 wounds to 0 wounds from 1 round of fusion gun Overwatch fire
-Librarian forgetting how to use Psychic powers and falling victim to Perils of the Warp 3 times
-Farsight wrecking a Dreadnought in Close Combat!
-Furioso Fists tearing through Crisis suits like tissue paper

Ended up playing 3 games total in less than 4 hours. Low model count helped a bunch, but I also feel like the rules move a bit faster.

Final Score: Blood Angels- 2, Tau- 0

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

chutche2 posted:

Option 1: It's about Dualism, and is a deep discussion on the nature of things and philosophy.

I think they just ran out of battlefield roles and went "ok well they like close combat, but they're also psychotic I guess".

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Anyone happen to have some Zzap guns and the turret mounts that they're willing to sell/trade? I need three more.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

Played my first game of 8th, 100 PL Necrons vs Orks. Fun game but man Necrons feel like it's hard to kill much, at least with the stuff I've got. Lychguard are the shitttttt though.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

ThNextGreenLantern posted:

Final Score: Blood Angels- 2, Tau- 0

Truly beautiful. Brought a tear to my eyes.

Salynne
Oct 25, 2007

panascope posted:

Played my first game of 8th, 100 PL Necrons vs Orks. Fun game but man Necrons feel like it's hard to kill much, at least with the stuff I've got. Lychguard are the shitttttt though.

I've found you really have to kite the orks and keep them out of assault as long as you can. Also, focus the boyz. They fall to pieces without them, and they aren't that hard to kill.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

chutche2 posted:

I was thinking about this and listing the analogues;

Ultramarines <-> Black Legion (Legio Generica)
Space Wolves <-> World Eaters (dogs of war)
Blood Angels <-> Emperor's Children (pretty n perfect)
Imperial Fists <-> Iron Warriors (grumpy builders)
Dark Angels <-> Alpha Legion (seeecrets)
Raven Guard <-> Night Lords (2 spoopy)
But then things get a bit tenuous.
Iron Hands <-> Death Guard (unstoppable?)
??? <-> Thousand Sons
White Scars <-> ???
??? <-> Word Bearers
Salamanders <-> ???

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
I can see stronger links between the iron hands and death guard than that, It's not just that they're tough, but the iron hands find their flesh to be weak and replace them with mechanical parts, while death guard revel in flesh and in biological material and disease. Nurgle represents the cycle of life and death, of nature. The Iron Hands represent the rejection of that cycle and of nature through technology, much like the adeptus mechanicus.

There's dualism in other legions too. Imperial Fists are about defending sieges, Iron Warriors about besieging. The Dark Angels secrets are turned inward, causing an insular chapter with countless onion-like layers of obfuscation. The Alpha Legion's secrets are turned outward, deceiving others while within the legion everyone is Alpharius. There's a few secrets within the legion (Like Omegon) but I get the impression that in the Alpha Legion they all have a pretty good idea of what's going on.

chutche2 fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Jun 23, 2017

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
My store was running a contest where people could randomly select a model from the starter set and then they'd be given two hours to paint it. Judgements to be done on Saturday. I went in tonight to participate and I got the dumb Babyface Sorcerer. I wanted a regular-rear end Death Guard man. That character has a ton of detail and I hate his stupid face. Two hours went by very quickly.
:negative:

I wasn't able to paint anywhere close to.my usual standard, but I think it turned out fine. I usually favor a bunch of layered fine line highlights and I had to fall back on drybrushing due to time limitations. Still, it was a fun thing to do and I will definitely take part in future competitions like it. I'm usually a very slow painter and speed-painting made for a nice change of pace. Unfortunately, I did not take any pictures because I am a dumb. :downs:

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
Salamanders <-> Death Guard. Slow, indomitable legions. One disdains weapons that cause unnecessary collateral damage while the other revels in chemical warfare. One primarch was buddies with almost everyone, one was kinda a miserable jerk to everyone except horus and curze.

Edit: And really, Space Wolves <-> Thousand Sons. Both suffer a terrible mutating curse. Also jocks vs. nerds.

Der Waffle Mous fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Jun 23, 2017

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

An argument could be made for Ultramarines <-> Word Bearers. Both are concerned with more what happens after the fighting is done, both follow a rulebook.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Not a founding chapter, but Grey Knights could be the analogue to Thousand Sons. Just due to the psyker heavy nature of both chapters.

Milotic
Mar 4, 2009

9CL apologist
Slippery Tilde
There has to be an element of tragedy or inversion for comparisons to make sense.

Anyway, rules question! For Thousand Sons, does the All is Dust rule affect invulnerable saves? I.e. They get a 4++ for D1 attacks with a high AP? It just says saving throw, not armour save so I'm guessing yes.

ToyotaThong
Oct 29, 2011
I've got my first tourney for 8th ed. next month.
Thinking of running this:
Tank Commander- Vanquisher, Lascannon, Storm Bolter
Russ Squadron (3)- Battle Cannon, 3x Heavy Bolter
Russ Squadron (3)- Exterminator Autocannon, Lascannon, 2x Heavy Bolter
Demolisher Squadron- Demolisher, Heavy Bolter
Punisher, 3x Heavy Bolter, Heavy Stubber
Hydra- Heavy Bolter
Manticore- Heavy Bolter
Scout Sentinel- Autocannon, Hunter-killer Missile

It's been years since I've run an armored company.
Should be fun.

Weremacht
Nov 4, 2002

THE ONLY THING THAT TURNS ME ON MORE THAN A MONKEY IN A FURRY SUIT IS SPOILING PLOTS
In case anyone was wondering about the Renegades and Heretics list in the Forgeworld IG Index, here's the basic rundown: it's loving garbage.

-Uncertain Worth is now d6+2, which makes basically the only army that was effected morale in 7th have the worst morale in 8th. Not unexpected, but not great.

-All the fun upgrades to your Demagogue are gone; no more cool devotions changing how your army works. Instead, if you make your cut rate IG officer who can't issue orders your warlord you can take a covenant for your entire army at once.

-Your three troops choices are all objectively worse than guardsmen. Militia have worse morale, worse armor, worse BS, worse WS, can't take orders and yet somehow cost the same as guardsmen. All the squad upgrades for militia, like armor or militia training are also gone, so they are straight up Guardsmen But Worse now. You can, though, stuff four special weapons (at BS5+) into a single 20 man squad now, which is like, the one difference between guardsmen and militia. You get copy-pasted Chaos Cultists, which serve roughly zero purpose in this list since every unit is a disposable meat shield already, and mutant rabble which would be like your conscript tarpit unit except...they also cost as much as guardsmen and have the same stats as militia. Also, Renegade Veterans are straight up not in the list anymore.

-In fact, nothing is cheaper than what the IG get, which defeats the purpose of running this list to begin with. All your tanks come straight from the IG index and have full BS, so your army is straight up "Imperial Guard, but your infantry is worse for the same cost across the board"

-Renegade Marauders can be taken no matter what now, and their "if they break they never rally rule" has changed to "autopasses all morale checks on a 2+, entire unit dies on a 1" which I'm not actually sure I can call an upgrade. Also their Brutes feel pretty wildly overcosted, clocking it at as much as an Ogryn Berserker despite not having any of the stats to back it up.

-Enforcers kill d3 models to ignore morale tests instead of limiting losses to a single model which, again, is strictly worse than Guard.

-If you got excited about the "Malefic Lord" in the table of contents screenshot, don't be! It's a Primaris Psyker with no equipment that hulks out if it survives a Perils.

-Arvus Lighters, your hilarious joke flyer, are back to being something that belongs in a dumpster. 115 points base for a flying Chimera with no guns. Great.

-Renegade Ogryns cost a sane amount, finally, but can still loving kill themselves with their stupid elephant adrenaline or whatever their combat drugs are. So can Plague Ogryns, which are just like regular Ogryn Berserkers, but inexplicably cheaper.

-Your psychic powers are..not terrible, actually. A smite variant that always does d6 vs vehicles, a -d3 leadership malediction, and a 10 warp charge ability that is pretty beefy: all R&H infantry within 6" of the caster reroll failed charges, to hit and to wound for the next fight phase, but every squad that benefits takes d3 moral wounds at the end of the turn

It's a lovely rushed hackjob with a bunch of really strange errors like laspistols having 12" range, but autopistols only having 6" or there not being an entry on rolling a 5 on the curse of mutation table. At this point, if you have an R&H army, just play it as guard until Forgeworld re-releases Siege of Vraks for the fourth time

Weremacht fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Jun 23, 2017

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Wow Forge World released poorly tested and balanced rules, times be changing.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
If I want to paint some monarch tyranids what would people recommend for a spray base to get a nice vibrant yellow. Averland sunset?

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

Weremacht posted:

In case anyone was wondering about the Renegades and Heretics list in the Forgeworld IG Index, here's the basic rundown: it's loving garbage.

-Uncertain Worth is now d6+2, which makes basically the only army that was effected morale in 7th have the worst morale in 8th. Not unexpected, but not great.

-All the fun upgrades to your Demagogue are gone; no more cool devotions changing how your army works. Instead, if you make your cut rate IG officer who can't issue orders your warlord you can take a covenant for your entire army at once.

-Your three troops choices are all objectively worse than guardsmen. Militia have worse morale, worse armor, worse BS, worse WS, can't take orders and yet somehow cost the same as guardsmen. All the squad upgrades for militia, like armor or militia training are also gone, so they are straight up Guardsmen But Worse now. You can, though, stuff four special weapons (at BS5+) into a single 20 man squad now, which is like, the one difference between guardsmen and militia. You get copy-pasted Chaos Cultists, which serve roughly zero purpose in this list since every unit is a disposable meat shield already, and mutant rabble which would be like your conscript tarpit unit except...they also cost as much as guardsmen and have the same stats as militia. Also, Renegade Veterans are straight up not in the list anymore.

-In fact, nothing is cheaper than what the IG get, which defeats the purpose of running this list to begin with. All your tanks come straight from the IG index and have full BS, so your army is straight up "Imperial Guard, but your infantry is worse for the same cost across the board"

-Renegade Marauders can be taken no matter what now, and their "if they break they never rally rule" has changed to "autopasses all morale checks on a 2+, entire unit dies on a 1" which I'm not actually sure I can call an upgrade. Also their Brutes feel pretty wildly overcosted, clocking it at as much as an Ogryn Berserker despite not having any of the stats to back it up.

-Enforcers kill d3 models to ignore morale tests instead of limiting losses to a single model which, again, is strictly worse than Guard.

-If you got excited about the "Malefic Lord" in the table of contents screenshot, don't be! It's a Primaris Psyker with no equipment that hulks out if it survives a Perils.

-Arvus Lighters, your hilarious joke flyer, are back to being something that belongs in a dumpster. 115 points base for a flying Chimera with no guns. Great.

-Renegade Ogryns cost a sane amount, finally, but can still loving kill themselves with their stupid elephant adrenaline or whatever their combat drugs are. So can Plague Ogryns, which are just like regular Ogryn Berserkers, but inexplicably cheaper.

-Your psychic powers are..not terrible, actually. A smite variant that always does d6 vs vehicles, a -d3 leadership malediction, and a 10 warp charge ability that is pretty beefy: all R&H infantry within 6" of the caster reroll failed charges, to hit and to wound for the next fight phase, but every squad that benefits takes d3 moral wounds at the end of the turn

It's a lovely rushed hackjob with a bunch of really strange errors like laspistols having 12" range, but autopistols only having 6" or there not being an entry on rolling a 5 on the curse of mutation table. At this point, if you have an R&H army, just play it as guard until Forgeworld re-releases Siege of Vraks for the fourth time

Really too bad, I've been wanting to start a R&H army for a long time and I figured I'd hold off until the new rules came out to see what they'd look like. Glad I did! Kind of annoyed I bought the FW Chaos index because of it though.

It really looks like GW gave Forgeworld about 3 days notice that 8th edition was coming so they threw it all together without any thought or testing. That or they had time and just didn't give a gently caress.

Maybe they'll fix stuff with errata or points updates but judging from their past performance I wouldn't hold my breath. The last version of Siege of Vraks never got any sort of errata and Imperial Armour One 2nd Ed never got revised even though it was released like less than a year before 6th came out and made it completely obsolete again.

my kinda ape fucked around with this message at 09:33 on Jun 23, 2017

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

This fucker is nearly done. Only 100 models to go...

Then I can start a 40k horde army :suicide:

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Can't understand why it's become acceptable for FW stuff to show up really. It's always been 90% overcosted garbage, 10% overpowered bullshit.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
Yeah, from what I've seen of FW rules I haven't been jazzed. Maybe superheavies you can't get elsewhere, but anything with a proper frame of reference has always been so off.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Pretty disappointed in the FW team loving up and missing the Mega Dredd out (in addition to the missing weapons and options on the Meka one). Hopefully they'll rectify it eventually with a PDF download or something.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

Corrode posted:

Can't understand why it's become acceptable for FW stuff to show up really. It's always been 90% overcosted garbage, 10% overpowered bullshit.

It's absolutely incredible since 95% of the issues could be avoided by handing the finished draft to a single experienced player for a day. Hell, all of the proofreading issues could be avoided by handing it to literally anyone who can read for like 3 hours. I'm half convinced they have a strict no editing policy in place.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I think FW got rushed to release their rule books for the release of 8th. Their in house game is good and that's where their effort seems to go.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler
The Valdor Tank Hunter seems decent now so I forgive them for all of the stupid bad poo poo.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

The Kingfish posted:

Fluff question: is there one tyranid hive mind or does each fleet have its own hive mind?

There is only Zuul! the one Hivemind.

Hamshot
Feb 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

my kinda ape posted:

The Valdor Tank Hunter seems decent now so I forgive them for all of the stupid bad poo poo.

That makes it sting a little more that it wasn't included in the Chaos Renegades list.

Despite, y'know, coming with a renegade figure that's featured in all the promotional photographs of the thing.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

Hamshot posted:

That makes it sting a little more that it wasn't included in the Chaos Renegades list.

Despite, y'know, coming with a renegade figure that's featured in all the promotional photographs of the thing.

It's also featured in the Vraks lore with a bunch of them being taken out of storage and used by the Renegades.

ALSO:
"All ELYSIAN DROP TROOPS models gain the Aerial Drop ability. TAUROS units in the lost opposite will also benefit from the Drop Troop Assault ability."

Drop Troop Assault does not appear anywhere else in the index. It's a mystery!

And the Knight Magaera and Styrix are priced the same as the Chaos index so it's definitely not a mistake. They hosed up the Explodes(unstable reactor) rule for the imperial versions though so instead of exploding on a 5+ they explode on a 6+ just like every other knight with the regular explodes rule. They did rename some of the weapons and abilities depending on whether it's chaos or imperial which is cool and fluffy. I'd rather they have taken the time to read the rules over literally one single time before going to print instead though.

my kinda ape fucked around with this message at 11:15 on Jun 23, 2017

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Milotic posted:

There has to be an element of tragedy or inversion for comparisons to make sense.

Anyway, rules question! For Thousand Sons, does the All is Dust rule affect invulnerable saves? I.e. They get a 4++ for D1 attacks with a high AP? It just says saving throw, not armour save so I'm guessing yes.

Yup, the wording is just "saving throw" so it applies to both armour and invuln saves. You're far less likely to ever use it for invuln saves though, because most weapons whose AP is good enough to force you to use the invuln probably deals more than 1 damage anyway.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

JBP posted:

I think FW got rushed to release their rule books for the release of 8th. Their in house game is good and that's where their effort seems to go.

Man don't blame this on rush; even books they take years to release have garbage editing

Raphus C
Feb 17, 2011

Zark the Damned posted:

Pretty disappointed in the FW team loving up and missing the Mega Dredd out (in addition to the missing weapons and options on the Meka one). Hopefully they'll rectify it eventually with a PDF download or something.

Yeah, it is a poor job. They left out the cybork units and a few of the mek vehicles. Shame.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

TheChirurgeon posted:

Man don't blame this on rush; even books they take years to release have garbage editing

I would gladly take the time to comb over their books and fix all of the glaring errors they are inexplicably unable to find in every one of their releases in exchange for a free copy of the finished product.

I bet they could find a hundred hams that would do an even better job for free if they wanted.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Speaking of rush- there's a page that says, "replace these vehicles keywords REGIMENT and IMPERIUM with RENEGADES AND HERETICS and CHAOS.

They didn't change any of the values of the vehicles so BS values will be 4+ instead of 5+

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

TheChirurgeon posted:

I mean the rules balance in general. It takes them ages to work out the way a model should work at the best of times. Giving them a deadline for the whole range is a recipe for disaster.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

OhDearGodNo posted:

Speaking of rush- there's a page that says, "replace these vehicles keywords REGIMENT and IMPERIUM with RENEGADES AND HERETICS and CHAOS.

They didn't change any of the values of the vehicles so BS values will be 4+ instead of 5+

Eh, that's probably on purpose, otherwise they'd have to adjust all the points accordingly or R&H would be even further needlessly boned. Just assume all the vehicle crews are better trained.

IIRC that's how the latest Vraks book did it too.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
poo poo, if it's that bad I might cancel my preorder for the books. How are you guys finding this stuff out?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

poo poo, if it's that bad I might cancel my preorder for the books. How are you guys finding this stuff out?

The ebooks are already available for purchase