Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

wyoming posted:

Diana is literally a god, I don't think it's a big concern.
Ares kept making swords out of tanks.
Its not a big deal, I was just more curious about the design change since he movies are all shot within a short time frame of each other so it's not like the original design was lost or forgotten. I thought maybe there was some story in the comic or something about her upgrading her weapons or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice

spacetoaster posted:

Actually ran into someone today who was extremely upset that WW had men in it for a different reason that to be killed by WW. She was particularly infuriated that WW wasn't gay and that a romance was forced onto her character in the movie.

Also argued that the movie wasn't empowering enough for women. When I asked her to describe "empowering" she basically just wanted a movie where a bunch of super masculine women killed every man they came across.

Sounds like she'd like anime.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

spacetoaster posted:

Actually ran into someone today who was extremely upset that WW had men in it for a different reason that to be killed by WW. She was particularly infuriated that WW wasn't gay and that a romance was forced onto her character in the movie.

Also argued that the movie wasn't empowering enough for women. When I asked her to describe "empowering" she basically just wanted a movie where a bunch of super masculine women killed every man they came across.

Kate Beaton straw feminist?

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

MariusLecter posted:

Kate Beaton straw feminist?

Hisssss!

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

MariusLecter posted:

straw feminist?

Nope. It happened.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

spacetoaster posted:

Nope. It happened.

That's hilarious.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

MariusLecter posted:

That's hilarious.

It's a roller derby team so there are a few "angry about comic book movies" women there.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

spacetoaster posted:

What kinda guys she like

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

spacetoaster posted:

she basically just wanted a movie where a bunch of super masculine women killed every man they came across.

hell, same

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Yeah the movie we got seems good (haven't seen it yet) but don't act like that wouldn't have also been awesome.

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~

Ferrinus posted:

What kinda guys she like

dead ones, obviously

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Neo Rasa posted:

Yeah the movie we got seems good (haven't seen it yet) but don't act like that wouldn't have also been awesome.

Amazons just invade the world on a crusade of killing men lead by a demigoddess and Ares is like "Oh cool you lot will definitely be onboard wi-" they staple him to a big rock with swords and drop it into the deepest part of the sea. :black101:

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

I was watching BvS: UE some more and I noticed during the Doomsday fight scene there's a part where Diana gets punched and she goes sliding along the ground and loses her shield and sword. She picks herself up and before she grabs her equipment she looks at Doomsday and has a smirking smile on her face. Almost like "Finally!" Was this something new for the Ultimate Edition or was it in the theatrical cut? A I thought it was an interesting was of enforcing the notion of her being trained as a warrior her entire life.

Also, when she says the bit about "I've killed things from other worlds before" is she talking about Ares? I mean she seems to have completely disappeared after WW1 (Bruce Wayne's note to her asks "Where have you been?") so it doesn't seem like she was doing any kind of even limited intervention.

I can sort of see how Aquaman, The Flash, and Cyborg were discovered by Lex since them using heir powers were all captured on camera but is there any explanation as to how he found out about Diana? The picture is the proof but without that how would he know? I'm thinking maybe it was passed down through a family of one of the squad members or villagers along with the story of her actions but her saying it was stolen seems to suggest that she had it in her possession.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
A WWI Wonder Woman is fine but my wish is WW 2 is a Diana of War romp through Greek Mythology where she faces monsters of legend and slays them.

I'm also fairly certain at some point, 2023, we will get DC vs Marvel with a 60 year old RDJ staring down Ben Affleck over drunkenly trying to seduce Diana while Black Panther shakes his head.

Gatts fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Jun 23, 2017

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Mr. Apollo posted:

I was watching BvS: UE some more and I noticed during the Doomsday fight scene there's a part where Diana gets punched and she goes sliding along the ground and loses her shield and sword. She picks herself up and before she grabs her equipment she looks at Doomsday and has a smirking smile on her face. Almost like "Finally!" Was this something new for the Ultimate Edition or was it in the theatrical cut? A I thought it was an interesting was of enforcing the notion of her being trained as a warrior her entire life.

Also, when she says the bit about "I've killed things from other worlds before" is she talking about Ares? I mean she seems to have completely disappeared after WW1 (Bruce Wayne's note to her asks "Where have you been?") so it doesn't seem like she was doing any kind of even limited intervention.

I can sort of see how Aquaman, The Flash, and Cyborg were discovered by Lex since them using heir powers were all captured on camera but is there any explanation as to how he found out about Diana? The picture is the proof but without that how would he know? I'm thinking maybe it was passed down through a family of one of the squad members or villagers along with the story of her actions but her saying it was stolen seems to suggest that she had it in her possession.

I'm 95% sure that grin/smirk was in theatrical.

In the Justice League teaser/trailers there's a line from Diana where she's like telling Bruce "they're already here" so maybe there's meant to be some intervening adventure where she leaves the world of mortals behind for a bit, but does end up stopping some sort of incursion against Themyscira. Not sure that enough of this had been plotted out when they wrote BvS. It'd be a neat bit of retcon if so.

Yeah, Lex's entire set of blackmail against her seemed to be the 191x photograph and ... surveillance tapes of her doing normal-ish things?

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
So erm, what did they do with Doctor Poison after Wonder Woman spared her?

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Sent her off the sound stage to prepare for the sequel.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Comstar posted:

Sent her off the sound stage to prepare for the sequel.

Dr Poison being in Justice League seems an odd choice.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

VagueRant posted:

So erm, what did they do with Doctor Poison after Wonder Woman spared her?

ungulateman posted:

i almost want a sequel set in ww2 where doctor poison is working in the camps and wonder woman turns up and is like "oh for gently caress's sake" and that's what really made her lose hope in humanity

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE posted:

I'm 95% sure that grin/smirk was in theatrical.

In the Justice League teaser/trailers there's a line from Diana where she's like telling Bruce "they're already here" so maybe there's meant to be some intervening adventure where she leaves the world of mortals behind for a bit, but does end up stopping some sort of incursion against Themyscira. Not sure that enough of this had been plotted out when they wrote BvS. It'd be a neat bit of retcon if so.

Yeah, Lex's entire set of blackmail against her seemed to be the 191x photograph and ... surveillance tapes of her doing normal-ish things?
Right, I forgot about the "they're already here" line. That implies some sort of foreknowledge of the situation. I was reading something about how JL will have a lot to do with how the mother boxes were discovered and the fight over them. Apparently 3 of them were scattered around the earth and one of them was buried somewhere on Themyscria so it sounds like there might be a bit where she travels back home.

I wonder if JL will give any additional insight into Luthor's motivations and how it started. There was a scene in BvS: UE where he's on the Kryptonian ship and he's communicating with one of the aliens. Maybe they guided him in the direction of the metahumans. Otherwise, like you said, Diana's file is basically just creepy stalker material and then the WW1 photo.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Gatts posted:

A WWI Wonder Woman is fine but my wish is WW 2 is a Diana of War romp through Greek Mythology where she faces monsters of legend and slays them.

I'm also fairly certain at some point, 2023, we will get DC vs Marvel with a 60 year old RDJ staring down Ben Affleck over drunkenly trying to seduce Diana while Black Panther shakes his head.

Never going to happen. :colbert:

Obviously, any crossovers that are going to happen are going to involve properties that are owned by the same studio.

For example, Wonder Woman/Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Lex knew of the existance of the metahumans long before he got access to the ship. If he knew about them before Supermans reveal is unknown, but remember that between mos and bvs it was 18 months that passed. Plenty of time to start searching for other metas.

So presumably metropolis event happened, lex freaks out and wonders if there are more metas, and starts ferreting them out.

Wonder woman was discovered because lexs face recognition software recognised her from the photograph and from surveillance cameras.

This was all before he spoke to the aliens. Presumably Supermans existance drove Lex so mad he figuratively communed with the devil to kill God (that scene is called communion iirc) and had nothing to do with other metas

Edit: while Lex's motivations aren't explicitly spelled out, the movie does offer enough information for the viewer to piece it all together, the biggest being in the chairty event where he starts ranting

McCloud fucked around with this message at 12:39 on Jun 23, 2017

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Mr. Apollo posted:

That smirking smile in the context of that fight was basically what sold me on the character being in movies. It's just perfect.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Ah that makes sense and it explains why there was such an obvious time stamp on the footage of Diana using the ATM. It was to show that it took place between MoS and BvS. So I guess the implication is that his facial recognition software was scanning everything it could come across and the WW1 photo of her was digitally archived somewhere and was included in the scan and it then matched that up with modern day video surveillance footage.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
https://twitter.com/TheAVClub/status/878200483760009216

Interesting read.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

I don't understand the complaint about Diana thinking of Steve in the final battle and not Antiope. Isn't the whole point that Diana thinks of Steve not just because he's her love interest but because he is an example of the good in humans and therefore she chooses to "believe in love" and not help Ares destroy humanity? I don't see how recalling Antiope during that scene would have the same impact. If anything it would reinforce the negative side of humanity since they're the ones whole killed her.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I hope Wonder Woman 2 starts in the modern day with Diana at a Thai Food restaurant by the former Berlin Wall, wearing a Nirvana shirt and disco shoes, watching I Love Lucy on her phone, and when she goes to get her check, she accidentally pulls out ticket stubs to opening night screenings to Star Wars, Rocky, and Wrath of Khan, where the Troubleman soundtrack is playing over the speakers.

I don't know how to include the Moon Landing there. But Zeus probably created the moon or something anyway.

Agent Burt Macklin
Jul 3, 2003

Macklin, you son of a bitch

I hadn't realized that Joss was actually kind of a poo poo. I was a huge Buffy fan, and liked his take on the Avengers, but if his script for WW is to be believed, yuck.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

I've read the script that's been posted online and it's pretty bad. It ends up being a movie about Steve Trevor and Diana tags along.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Mr. Apollo posted:

I don't understand the complaint about Diana thinking of Steve in the final battle and not Antiope. Isn't the whole point that Diana thinks of Steve not just because he's her love interest but because he is an example of the good in humans and therefore she chooses to "believe in love" and not help Ares destroy humanity? I don't see how recalling Antiope during that scene would have the same impact. If anything it would reinforce the negative side of humanity since they're the ones whole killed her.

I would have preferred her WWI friends being that example instead of it hammering home STEVE as the primary driver.

Agent Burt Macklin
Jul 3, 2003

Macklin, you son of a bitch
I went and saw this a second time, and upon further review I took it to mean she meant 'love' in a general sense - for Steve, Chief and the other guys - everyone. I can see why it seemed a bit ham-fisted that her ~~true love~~ Steve Trevor made her believe, but I don't think that was the intent.

Now having said that, you can see why in BvS she was hesitant to get involved. So I wonder what the sequel will be about - what's she been up to for the last hundred years if BvS is what encouraged her to get involved in a more aggressive manner?

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

What was it exactly that encouraged her to get involved in BvS? The she packing up getting ready to leave her hotel and the Doomsday fight was going on. She got the email from Bruce with the photo, clicked the links about the other meta humans, and then she's in her battle armour saving Batman.

Did the photo along with Batman and Superman rekindle her belief in mankind being capable of goodness and self sacrifice (even though Superman isn't human)? I guess she's been carrying her armour, sword, and shield around with her everywhere for the last 100 years just in case.

biracial bear for uncut posted:

That smirking smile in the context of that fight was basically what sold me on the character being in movies. It's just perfect.
During the fight you can see that it starts to wear on Batman and Superman yet they keep dragging themselves back in because it's what they do, they're trying to protect humanity. Diana, on the other hand, seems to be enjoying the fight for the sake of fighting. It's an interesting contrast.

Mr. Apollo fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Jun 23, 2017

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
I want to say Lex corp digging into her past and also Lex corp atrocities like the mercs testing bullets on civilians as seen in BvS.

E: Superman isnt human but he was raised human. Close enough. :shrug:

MariusLecter fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Jun 23, 2017

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

After Wonder Woman, who's the next biggest female character DC/WB can build a film around?

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

hiddenriverninja posted:

After Wonder Woman, who's the next biggest female character DC/WB can build a film around?

Catwoman. Maybe Black Canary?

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
They've already made 1 Harley Quinn movie with another planned, and Batgirl is in the pipe

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

hiddenriverninja posted:

Supergirl?

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Batwoman is there too. But that's a longshot since I don't think Hollywood can deal with a Jewish lesbian woman in the leading role in a summer blockbuster film. I mean, it took forever to get Wonder Woman so maybe we'll see some LGBTQ representation in about 10-20 years.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

spacetoaster posted:

I saw someone online get upset that Wonder Woman was so excited about seeing a baby because that signified that Hollywood isn't ready for a badass give-no-fucks warrior woman and they had to tone her down by making her overly maternal blah blah blah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Kelly posted:

I hadn't realized that Joss was actually kind of a poo poo. I was a huge Buffy fan, and liked his take on the Avengers, but if his script for WW is to be believed, yuck.

It doesn't mean he's a poo poo, it just means he didn't have a good grasp on the character. Besides, it's a first draft. First drafts are always just throwing whatever at the wall and planning on refining it later.

• Locked thread