Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

Junior Jr. posted:

I really want to add a couple of good shmups to my list, even if they are a bunch of japanese indie ones, anyone know some good ones?

gently caress, I missed this last page. Crimzon Clover and Ikaruga are indeed good choices, but I also highly recommend CAVE's games - Mushihimesama, Deathsmiles, and DoDonPachi Resurrection. They could definitely use the sales.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Arivia posted:

So are there any daily/flash sales this time around on the Steam sale

They have been executed.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 46 hours!

Ofecks posted:

gently caress, I missed this last page. Crimzon Clover and Ikaruga are indeed good choices, but I also highly recommend CAVE's games - Mushihimesama, Deathsmiles, and DoDonPachi Resurrection. They could definitely use the sales.

oh hey i was wondering if cave shooters where in steam already. Always wanted to try some of those.

A CRAB IRL
May 6, 2009

If you're looking for me, you better check under the sea

Is Sniper Elite 4 worth it or should I wait for Autumn / Winter? Wanna shoot Hitler in the balls. Also the entire Wehrmacht and SS.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎
let me run my steamdb distiller and plug the result into steam.xlsx and i can do things

fake edit - they updated how the data is laid out and broke my poo poo

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."
Consider getting Earth Defense Force 4.1 plus mission packs if you have a crew to run the game with and you feel like nothing in this sale is grabbing you.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Junior Jr. posted:

Okay thread, I got a challenge for ya.

I'm looking for some fun or decent action and platformer games, bundles are allowed, and the total cost should be 8 bucks or less.

Hit me with your best shot!

Abyss Odyssey - $2.99 (-80%) - side-scrolling action game set in late 19th-century Chile
They Bleed Pixels - $1.99 (-80%) - action platformer in a cutethulu style
Knytt Underground - $3.49 (-50%) - a large platforming adventure game from Nifflas

edit - i spreadsheeted bad and got the price on KU wrong, have a replacement to get the cost back under 8 bux:

eversion - $2.44 (-51%) - a cute platformer

Reality Winner posted:

You might like Antichamber. It's an FPS puzzler a bit like Talos Principle, but less story focused and with a real cool art aesthetic.

and a steal at the current price:

Antichamber - $3.99 (-80%) - first-person-mindfuck puzzler

also:

Closure - $0.99 (-90%) - puzzle game based on "if it isn't illuminated, it isn't there"
English Country Tune - $0.99 (-80%) - challenging 3D puzzle game
Kairo - $0.84 (-83%) - exploration-puzzler with an minimalist aesthetic
Q.U.B.E: Director's Cut - $1.74 (-83%) - sci-fi first-person puzzler
Qbeh-1: The Atlas Cube - $1.49 (-85%) - chill first-person puzzler
MirrorMoon EP - $1.29 (-87%) - abstract puzzle game where working out the rules is half the puzzle

Zetsubou-san fucked around with this message at 12:46 on Jun 23, 2017

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 46 hours!
wait what i could swear knytt underground didnt have a sale percentage on my wishlist

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Junior Jr. posted:

I really want to add a couple of good shmups to my list, even if they are a bunch of japanese indie ones, anyone know some good ones?

not my strongest area, but:

REVOLVER360 RE:ACTOR - $2.99 (-70%) - on-rails 3d shmup, where you can rotate the play-field
Pixel Galaxy - $1.99 (-80%) - bullet-hellish shmup, but that's okay - ram into into enemies to gain protection and their attack pattern
Star Saviors - $0.49 (-75%) - a neat shmup game
Retro/Grade - $1.99 (-80%) - rhythm-based shmup

ArfJason posted:

wait what i could swear knytt underground didnt have a sale percentage on my wishlist

steamdb doesn't list this on sale either, but the store page does
it's 50% ($3.49) and not what I had above.. I rechecked things and i spreadsheeet good now :downs:

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
I already spent $74 on the Steam sale but most of that was a Tabletop Simulator 4 pack.

TwoDogs1Cup
May 28, 2008

DOUGIE DOUGIE DOUGIE! MY LOVE, HE MAKES MY EMPTY HEART FULL! DOUGIE! THE BEST FOREVER THE BEST DOUGIEEE! <3 <3 - TwoDougies1Cup
I've bought Doom 3 and Shadow of Mordor so far

Anyone got any recommendations for party RPGs? Like DA/ME?

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Awesome! posted:

i assume factorio is also not on sale based on prior history and poe is a f2p game. he got you good

the trick is to pretend.

Factorio - $20.00 (-33%) - pretend that the discount is real and say goodbye to the next hundreds of hours

:proof:

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Zetsubou-san posted:

the trick is to pretend.

Factorio - $20.00 (-33%) - pretend that the discount is real and say goodbye to the next hundreds of hours

:proof:

Isn't it in early access still?

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

yes, but: very polished, bug are squashed quickly, large amount of mods with in-game support for them, devs are awesome and do weekly dev posts

it's one of the good ones

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.
Hmm, the one sale I finally decide to take the plunge on Dark Souls, and it's not discounted. I guess I've been spared a headache since I don't actually have a controller for it.

Does anyone have any recommendations for cheap, small / modest / short games? I'm thinking of stuff like Refunct, Proteus or Mountain, games that offer a short but unique experience, maybe slightly experimental (but doesn't have to be), that you can knock off in a couple of sittings.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Bringing your thread to a screeching halt, guaranteed.

I've gotten Hollow Knight and Hyperlight Drifter, but it seems like I should really be investing in a controller. Any recommendations for a good (preferably PS2-ish style) USB controller that works on a MacBook Air running OS X?

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Junior Jr. posted:

Yes but I want to know if it's a good game or not.

Haven't played 1 yet...or Demon's Souls for that matter. I heard they're supposed to be drat good so I'm just getting into them now.

Oh in that case you should get 1. It's the best of the trilogy.

Brick Shipment posted:

Which STALKER game do I want? Alternatively, does anyone have the STALKER thread link handy?

The original (Shadows of Chernobyl) is the best imo, but I've only barely played the third one.

STALKER Thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3572610

Glare Seethe posted:

Hmm, the one sale I finally decide to take the plunge on Dark Souls, and it's not discounted. I guess I've been spared a headache since I don't actually have a controller for it.

Does anyone have any recommendations for cheap, small / modest / short games? I'm thinking of stuff like Refunct, Proteus or Mountain, games that offer a short but unique experience, maybe slightly experimental (but doesn't have to be), that you can knock off in a couple of sittings.

Stanley Parable, The Beginner's Guide or Pony Island are both quick and very experimental/meta.

axeil fucked around with this message at 13:37 on Jun 23, 2017

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Ramc posted:

I've gotten Hollow Knight and Hyperlight Drifter, but it seems like I should really be investing in a controller. Any recommendations for a good (preferably PS2-ish style) USB controller that works on a MacBook Air running OS X?

Last time I used a controller on OSX the DualShock3 worked really well out of the box over both USB and Bluetooth. Some brief googling suggests that that support might have lapsed a little and the DualShock 4 may be a better option now, though?

Just don't get any kind of Xbox controller, they don't work on OSX without third party software.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

What is the best game out there that requires zero manual dexterity? For reference, Darkest Dungeon and XCOM 2 are both extremely my poo poo, and I adored the Beginners Guide and Gone Home

E: gently caress The Witness in advance though

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

Dr. Angela Ziegler posted:

What is the best game out there that requires zero manual dexterity? For reference, Darkest Dungeon and XCOM 2 are both extremely my poo poo, and I adored the Beginners Guide and Gone Home

E: gently caress The Witness in advance though

Invisible Inc.

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Jim's now a Blind Cave Salamander!

il_cornuto posted:

Invisible Inc.

This is probably the right choice

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys

NRVNQSR posted:

Last time I used a controller on OSX the DualShock3 worked really well out of the box over both USB and Bluetooth. Some brief googling suggests that that support might have lapsed a little and the DualShock 4 may be a better option now, though?

Just don't get any kind of Xbox controller, they don't work on OSX without third party software.

I still use wired DS3 via https://github.com/nefarius/ScpToolkit drivers. Wireless stopped working for me when I updated to windows 10 and I just didn't really care about wireless enough to figure out why. The drivers are overall a bit janky and bloated but you can disable all the dumb notification services and just use the drivers well enough. DS4 would probably be less hassle but if you've already got a DS3 lying around, the price is right.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
Soma is sitting on my wishlist for quite a while now. It's cheap enough for me to buy it, and I like its themes (as I understand them anyway) but I absolutely hate the monster mechanic (which looks similar to Amnesia's) -- hide! run! no, don't look at it! It's way too stressful for me.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

AbstractNapper posted:

Soma is sitting on my wishlist for quite a while now. It's cheap enough for me to buy it, and I like its themes (as I understand them anyway) but I absolutely hate the monster mechanic (which looks similar to Amnesia's) -- hide! run! no, don't look at it! It's way too stressful for me.

I got some good news for you then.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=560988617

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
Question for everyone,

How scary is SOMA? The idea of it seems pretty cool but when I tried to play Amnesia: The Dark Descent I got too freaked out and had to stop about an hour in. Is SOMA the same level of intensity or is it easier to handle?

TopHatGenius
Oct 3, 2008

something feels
different

Hot Rope Guy

Blattdorf posted:

Consider getting Earth Defense Force 4.1 plus mission packs if you have a crew to run the game with and you feel like nothing in this sale is grabbing you.

The mission packs are on sale? Sweet. I just need the last one and I can relearn the meaning of pain. (Its a good game. Go buy it!)

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 46 hours!
please dont hate the witness jonathon blow is my friend and his game is nice

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

axeil posted:

Question for everyone,

How scary is SOMA? The idea of it seems pretty cool but when I tried to play Amnesia: The Dark Descent I got too freaked out and had to stop about an hour in. Is SOMA the same level of intensity or is it easier to handle?

Literally the post above yours. But you were typing that up while it was made.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

Literally the post above yours. But you were typing that up while it was made.

Ah, thanks. Does Wuss Mode detract at all from the overall game? If not that sounds like my thing so I don't freak out from a monster chasing me.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Arivia posted:

So are there any daily/flash sales this time around on the Steam sale or is it going to be what you see is what you get until July 5th? Basically wondering if I should pull the trigger now or later.

Daily / flash sales have been gone for a couple years now and they're gone forevah, forevah-evah, forevah-evah.

Downs Duck
Nov 19, 2005
"It's only after we've lost everything that we're free do to anything"

PlushCow posted:

I was going through my queue and Warhammer 40k Space Marine came up, how is it? I remember playing a demo on my 360 ages ago but can't remember if I liked it or not.

A bit late, but here's my take on it: https://steamcommunity.com/id/ghost_of_bukowski/recommended/55150/

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

axeil posted:

when I tried to play Amnesia: The Dark Descent I got too freaked out and had to stop about an hour in.
I am exactly in the same boat. I played the Penumbra games (the two good ones anyway), and somehow got through them although the second one was kind of stressful, but Amnesia had me permanently nope-ing out of it within its first hours. I think that was before refunds, so essentially it was a bad purchase for me.

Yeah, this looks like exactly what I would want to play the game!

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Cheap Oddball Games you might have not known about!

Euclidean - $2.50. A super-moody and atmospheric 'falling simulator' where you plummet into a world of giant, Lovecraftian horrors trying to dodge enemies until you reach the next lowest platform, while a confused Elder Thing questions what you think you are doing. It isn't great, but it is a drat sight better than its spiritual predecessor, AAaaAaaA for the Awesome. If you want a truly Lovecraftian experience, and not just 'generic horror with tentacles', Euclidean is the way to go. VR support, but gently caress paying $800 for a virtual boy.

Detective Grimoire - $1.40. A fun, lightweight and (important!) fully-voice acting and cleverly animated P&C adventure game. Finish in an evening, but well worth the experience, especially at $1.40

The Dweller - 50¢. Archaeologists are going deeper into a cave to explore its secrets. YOU are the cave spirit! Crush the archaeologists by possessing a rock and falling on them! A cute little puzzle game where you get to scare Indiana Jones into running off a cliff. It's 50¢. Buy this game!

Pac-Man 256 - $2.00. Yes, it's a port of a mobile runner, but if you need a local multiplayer game that's a little bit twitch-gaming, a little bit strategy, and instantly grokkable by kids, it's a fantastic little time waster that actually plays with the Pac-Man mythology (such as it is)

HABITAT - $1.50 The best "tie a tyrannosaurus head and a Hot Dog Stand to the Statue of Liberty and tool around LEO until aliens show up to blow you up" simulator on the market. Now featuring an endgame!

Shrecknet fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Jun 23, 2017

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

axeil posted:

Ah, thanks. Does Wuss Mode detract at all from the overall game? If not that sounds like my thing so I don't freak out from a monster chasing me.

Reading the mod description apparently it makes the game a completely different tone. The few scripted chases are untouched for plot or not-breaking-the-game reasons.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

AbstractNapper posted:

I am exactly in the same boat. I played the Penumbra games (the two good ones anyway), and somehow got through them although the second one was kind of stressful, but Amnesia had me permanently nope-ing out of it within its first hours. I think that was before refunds, so essentially it was a bad purchase for me.

Yeah, this looks like exactly what I would want to play the game!

Yeah I love the atmosphere of Amnesia but I have fairly high anxiety so the monsters chasing you and being unable to do anything about it was just too stressful. If there's a similar "Wuss Mode" for Amnesia maybe I'll finally be able to go back and finish it...

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Games where you run around helpless from some monster thing have to strike the right balance between being too easy + scripted, which makes the whole experience boring and predictable, and too hard, where the illusion breaks if you begin to fail the same segment over and over.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
oh poo poo I just realized that my monitor turns. time to get ikaruga.

Mung Dynasty
Jul 19, 2003

Why do the peasants slave while the emperor gets to eat all the mung?!
Is Aragami any good for :10bux:? I'm looking for something to scratch an old school Tenchu itch. Bonus points for good/varied level design and decent controls.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Alright, let's fire up Rise of the Tomb Raider.

Well, gently caress me, this game looks pretty and... what do you mean it's not a cutscene and I have control? :staredog:

Man, it's been a while since that happened.

Quick question, how are the difficulty modes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Edmond Dantes posted:

Alright, let's fire up Rise of the Tomb Raider.

Well, gently caress me, this game looks pretty and... what do you mean it's not a cutscene and I have control? :staredog:

Man, it's been a while since that happened.

Quick question, how are the difficulty modes?

I've never played it on hard but it's quite easy on normal.

• Locked thread