Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Skoll posted:

Not from what I've seen. The game spent so long in EA with balance issues going back and forth I think a lot of goons lost interest. It's a shame because it's really fun where it is right now.
Yeah, I stopped playing a while ago, but the summer event caught my eye. The game feels like it's in a really good place now, other than my previous complaint about blocking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

Elysiume posted:

Yeah, I stopped playing a while ago, but the summer event caught my eye. The game feels like it's in a really good place now, other than my previous complaint about blocking.

I'd be at least lukewarm towards blocking if it didn't just give the zeds straight damage resistance whenever they decide to do it. You can't insta-decap a Bloat who blocks with a .500 even if you hit the head, and you can't freeze a Scrake because he puts his chainsaw in front of his face. It's obnoxious.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

I wouldn't mind the blocking so much if the amount of block coverage corresponded to the area which was being blocked a little better. It's noticeable outside of zed time but you can really see it in slow-mo- the gorefast/fiend's blades block easily the entire head, neck, and shoulders even though the model only blocks a few strips over the head. Watching bullets ping off the invisible barrier in front of its face leaving sparks is loving maddening.

Also, the week's event is super obnoxious when some zeds just become completely immortal when they're blocking.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Theta Zero posted:

I'd be at least lukewarm towards blocking if it didn't just give the zeds straight damage resistance whenever they decide to do it. You can't insta-decap a Bloat who blocks with a .500 even if you hit the head, and you can't freeze a Scrake because he puts his chainsaw in front of his face. It's obnoxious.
Actually, I'll also add that they still haven't managed to make Hans even vaguely enjoyable to fight since I started playing.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

Elysiume posted:

Actually, I'll also add that they still haven't managed to make Hans even vaguely enjoyable to fight since I started playing.

He's fun if you have or are a Berserker or Sharpshooter. And not if you don't or aren't.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer
I'm not really sure they CAN make Hans fun. He just isn't.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
With Hans I'd say the easy way to make him more enjoyable would be to reduce how often he does his melee, and remove those explosive grenades he has

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

aniviron posted:

I wouldn't mind the blocking so much if the amount of block coverage corresponded to the area which was being blocked a little better. It's noticeable outside of zed time but you can really see it in slow-mo- the gorefast/fiend's blades block easily the entire head, neck, and shoulders even though the model only blocks a few strips over the head. Watching bullets ping off the invisible barrier in front of its face leaving sparks is loving maddening.

As far as I know, zed blocking gives them complete damage resistance of 80% - 90% no matter where you are hitting them. I just stop firing when they do it and wait them out.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Yea Hans is a massive damage race, if you don't get him down fast he just whittles you down with his insane melee damage.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
bring back that hilariously overpowered microwave groundfire and have it apply to Hans, problem solved

being able to nuke his lovely rear end in ten seconds flat was the most fun I've ever had against him, so it's a real solution!

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
Patty rewards good positioning and is a satisfying to shoot big meaty fatwad. Hans laughs at any attempt to position as he throws his scrawny body at you, flailing around at mach five, while his armor dinks away all your bullets in a disappointing manner.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Kevin feels good to fight. His moves are telegraphed, and there's a set rhythm to fighting him. Even if you can't cheese him with pipes like in KF1. Hans lacks any sort of rhythm, throwing out moves without much rhyme or reason. Also, he's so goddamn obnoxious. How does this scrawny mostly nude Nazi dipshit take more hits than a giant lumbering creature made of spikes and yelling?

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Hans also jetpacks around in a really unnatural way so its hard to tell who he is going for sometimes.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Because German science is...

(but for real, he needs to be toned down a smidge)

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.
The M4 buff does make enough of a difference so that it's very viable now. The extra reload speed only facilitates using the boosted ammo size so both it and this AA12 are just shotgun bullet hoses and the combo both very effectively melt large zeds. The slightly lowered weight also lets you carry a deagle and a medic pistol so you can handle single targets, long range targets, and heal your teammates as well. It's fantastic and I actually like playing Support now. Between this and the centerfire being a fantastic Gunslinger weapon, the only class I'm kind of eh about is SWAT because it just doesn't do things that other classes can't do better. Oh, and Survivalist but Survivalist has always been bad.

Still not using any other class but Sharpshooter on bosses, though. Too good.

Theta Zero fucked around with this message at 10:58 on Jun 23, 2017

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
I think the other problem with Hans is his forcefield phase(s). In a game all about excessive amounts of detail and feedback, let's have a huge portion of the boss be plinking away at a bubble while he zips around no-selling everything. Though on second thought, doesn't he basically no-sell poo poo all the time?

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Yeah, I don't even know if he has hit reactions. That said, the past two weeks whenever he's come up on suicidal I haven't necessarily had fun fighting him, but he also hasn't been unfun to fight. It's just a damage sponge fight.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I just don't understand how there's only 2 bosses. Like, I'm sure it's not an afternoon of work, but the game has bee around long enough that they should add a bit of variety.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Internet Explorer posted:

I just don't understand how there's only 2 bosses. Like, I'm sure it's not an afternoon of work, but the game has bee around long enough that they should add a bit of variety.

They mentioned they had a third in the pipeline awhile ago.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
I have never actually played vs survival but isn't there a third boss there?

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Bogart posted:

Not that I know of. Though tbh I only played it when it came out to get the achievements, then never touched it again.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

I too enjoy the revamped M4. It's a different sort of playstyle to the rest of the support weapons, and I don't think I like it as much as the AA12/double barrel/trench gun, but it's a nice change of pace. The shot clusters so tightly it almost feels more like playing with a powerful lever action than a shotgun.

Also, the reload animation is hilarious in third person now. It's like those tae bo videos when they do double time- nobody can move that fast in real life so they just sped up the video by a factor of two, and that's exactly what the reload animation looks like now.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

Bogart posted:

No, you play as the Patriarch.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Yeah idk it feels like I'm playing a different version of KF2 because the Patriarch just shits all over us and it's basically a guaranteed wipe on HOE.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!
Good. The hardest difficulty level should have a very low completion chance.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Nah, it's really dumb that completion is basically a dice roll depending on which boss spawns.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.
Kevin's an assured victory for us, Hans is still pretty up in the air but basically guaranteed unless we decided not to prepare for either of them or decided to do dumb gimmick stuff like sextuple Demolitions, which worked anyways.

I don't know what you're doing but on HoE to not assure a win, but you should realize that some classes are outright not useful for the boss.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
Is there a Discord or something for if I actually feel like tryharding?

Elysiume fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Jun 26, 2017

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Theta Zero posted:

Kevin's an assured victory for us, Hans is still pretty up in the air but basically guaranteed unless we decided not to prepare for either of them or decided to do dumb gimmick stuff like sextuple Demolitions, which worked anyways.

I don't know what you're doing but on HoE to not assure a win, but you should realize that some classes are outright not useful for the boss.

Well it's not like we're running survivalists; usually a medic and berserker combo and a mix of demo/sharp/firebug for the boss and we're all 20+ if not 25. We just get picked off where the medic and berserker are usually the last two alive.

And I tried the freeze grenade thing and it didn't really work; I guess you need more than one sharp throwing them? :shrug:

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

UnknownMercenary posted:

Well it's not like we're running survivalists; usually a medic and berserker combo and a mix of demo/sharp/firebug for the boss and we're all 20+ if not 25. We just get picked off where the medic and berserker are usually the last two alive.

And I tried the freeze grenade thing and it didn't really work; I guess you need more than one sharp throwing them? :shrug:

We don't run Medics because it's usually better if the boss just dies faster rather than giving it a chance to sustain the fight longer than it should. From my experience the optimal team comp is six Sharpshooters, otherwise five Sharpshooters and a Commando (to see Kevin when he cloaks and crowd control) or four Sharpshooters, and Commando, and a Berserker (to stall Hans/Kevin), but the more Sharpshooters the merrier. A commando is especially important on maps where Kevin is difficult to see because even when he's frozen, he's still cloaked.

If you want a super-safe, fool-proof team composition, go for a tank Berserker paired with a buff Medic, and either a Commando and three Sharpshooters or just four Sharpshooters.

It takes around 2-3 freeze grenades to ice Kevin, and you throw them the moment his health bar changes color. If you timed it right, he should be visible and frozen, but otherwise you'll have to find out where he's frozen at. Your sharpshooters should just grenade dump two grenades a piece on him, use the first two perks in their skill tree, crouch while firing, and double tap when they fire the railgun (since it reloads faster). As for Hans, you'll wreck him and his shield nearly instantly, and you'll have to decide to either go for the speed kill and dumpster him and his shield, or do it cautiously by killing off the zeds he spawns before going in for the next cycle. Aim for both bosses heads, Kevin's giant green arm, and Hans' backpack since they are all weak points.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Theta Zero posted:

but you should realize that some classes are outright not useful for the boss.

That really is something that should be changed

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

drrockso20 posted:

To be fair, we're talking about the situation at the top end. If you aren't playing the game on the hardest difficulty then you don't need to aggressively minmax like that.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

drrockso20 posted:

I agree with that. SWAT has absolutely zero place in the final boss, especially when his damage is gimped and his flashbangs aren't effective.

Firebug is okay with the MG, Demo is great with rockets, Commando can help but has pretty lackluster damage, Support is a glass cannon, Gunslinger is okay, and Survivalist is Survivalist. There's only about three classes actually worth using on HoE boss.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Gromit posted:

To be fair, we're talking about the situation at the top end. If you aren't playing the game on the hardest difficulty then you don't need to aggressively minmax like that.

Nah, even on suicidal and hard it is very noticeable how much worse classes like SWAT and Gunslinger are against the bosses. I do solos for fun sometimes and while I can breeze through the game as either of those classes if I don't switch for the boss wave it's at least going to be a very close fight if not a loss; if I do switch, I shoot the boss in the head two or three times with the railgun or RPG-7 and it's as easy as the rest of the game. Even worse, neither class has anything useful to contribute to the fight beyond meagre damage; I could sort of understand their aenemic damage if they were like Medic and could keep everyone else alive easily when in non-solo and tanked like crazy, but neither class is useful at all beyond its damage output.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Around when did Gunslinger get nerfed, with the resistance changes? Because I remember before that Gunslinger was pretty good, especially with rack em up and having more mobility than a lot of classes. I admittedly stopped playing months before that, and only picked up again early this year so I missed out on over a year's worth of balance changes.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

UnknownMercenary posted:

Around when did Gunslinger get nerfed, with the resistance changes? Because I remember before that Gunslinger was pretty good, especially with rack em up and having more mobility than a lot of classes. I admittedly stopped playing months before that, and only picked up again early this year so I missed out on over a year's worth of balance changes.

For a long time the Gunslinger was just Commando But Better. That kinda changed when the monsters started hopping around a lot more on HoE.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Haven't played in ages, this game is so different, wow!

Hows the support weapon these days? Just trying stuff out in a game now and the new shotgun seems really cool.

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

VIDEO GAME MODIFICATION IS TOTALLY THE SAME THING AS A FEMALE'S BODY AND CLONING SAID MODIFICATION IS EXACTLY THE SAME AS RAPE, GUYS!!!!!!!

UnknownMercenary posted:

Gunslinger is still good. The .500 continues to be excellent, if modestly less ludicrous than it used to be. Still one-shots everything short of Husks, I believe.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

UnknownMercenary posted:

Gunslinger was nerfed with resistances, just because every monster was changed to resist Gunslinger weapons. They changed this so that no monster resists Gunslinger weapons but also isn't weak to them either. Gunslinger is still good and can pretty much kill everything and is capable of doing damage on the bosses, but he's effectively a Sharpshooter with more mobility over damage.

Flipswitch posted:

Haven't played in ages, this game is so different, wow!

Hows the support weapon these days? Just trying stuff out in a game now and the new shotgun seems really cool.

As of now you can run pretty much every Support combination you want and do well. Except the nailgun, that thing sucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
I was intrigued by what a Lavender Town map would be, and I wasn't disappointed. Pokecenters, Pokeshops, and the tower were all enterable.

e: hm

Elysiume fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Jun 25, 2017