Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

HEY GAIL posted:

ideally, pikemen wear helmets, breastplates, backplates, and depending on the period and how much they want to carry, tassets. (although rabhadh has seen reports of the guys throwing their armor away or selling it as soon as the authorities aren't looking)

I want to say pike stopped wearing armour in the UK at least over the course of the Civil War, though? Except helmets maybe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
Here's a helmet related question, I'm assuming that straps to keep the helmet off your head and absorb more of the blow came in around WW1 but do we have any evidence of their use before then?

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

I already have trins two history books, would glad to add another book (or e-book) to my goon history collection.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Benagain posted:

Here's a helmet related question, I'm assuming that straps to keep the helmet off your head and absorb more of the blow came in around WW1 but do we have any evidence of their use before then?

Do you mean the straps in the helmet specifically or helmet padding in general? Because using some kind of padding in helmets has been in practice basically forever. The Greeks and Romans would wear leather caps or thick headbands under their helmets, for example.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Bourricot posted:

I'll do my best based on what I can remember from high school :eng101:

In the picture you posted, you see the republic (with its Phrygian Cap) threatened by Germany and the three monarchist factions :
- The Bonapartists, who don't need any further presentation (their name is their program)
- The Legitimists (with the fleur-de-lis), who wanted a king from the House of Bourbon
- The Orleanists, who wanted a king from the House of Orleans

The difference between Absolutists and Orleanists came to be after the Revolution of 1830 when Louis-Phillipe (of the House of Orleans) took power. The July Monarchy was a much more liberal regime (i.e. on the British model) than its predecessors, and marked the end of the absolute monarchy. Now Legitimists consider the Revolution of 1830 to be a coup and therefore Louis-Philippe to be illegitimate.

They finally managed a compromise after the demise of the Second Empire, but things didn't go as planned:

France pretty much became a lasting Republic by default :france:

Thanks! Your high school history teacher should be proud. :)

Did you mean 'Legitimists' in the bolded part?

dublish posted:

And to tie this further into military history, the Comte de Paris and his brother the Duke of Chartres were in 1861 placed at the service of the United States government by their uncle, the Prince of Joinville, who hoped to prove their (and his own) republican credentials. Both were commissioned captains and found positions on the staff of George McClellan.

How well did they do?

Hogge Wild fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Jun 23, 2017

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Dreylad posted:

Haha fair enough, I don't keep a close eye on this thread so I didn't know if this was derivative or not. We've got most of his letters to and from his father spanning several decades as well as his logbook. Like a lot of veterans he didn't talk a lot about the war.

According to his logbook he only started flying Mosquitos in July 1944, before that he flew supply planes for the Ministry of Supply and meterological flights for the RAF.

Here's another picture, similar idea, attack on a flack boat in Denmark.

One story he did tell was after a flight he returned from the Port of Skaw, Denmark. His plane was badly damaged by flack, and he had to fly all the way home on one engine with his prop hitting the top of the waves across the English Channel. He was able to gain enough altitude only after his plane had spent enough fuel to lighten the load and he was able to safely land at his aerodrome.

From his wartime letters he had this to say about the Mosquito:

Cool stuff! I also like how you can see the convergence pattern. And drat, attacking a flak ship with a plane takes guts. What kind of weapons did Mosquitos use in anti shipping operations?

Hogge Wild fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Jun 23, 2017

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

FastestGunAlive posted:

At this point, this thread should just run your cyoa directly. Cut out the middle man.

We'd need some sliders to adjust just how black and gay the audience wants it's Hitler

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Splode posted:

Also, is trin ok? I haven't seen him post since he vanished from his forum game. I assume he's just busy, but you never know.

Trin is extremely OK due to living the glorious People's Republic of Islington North under the benevolent dictatorship of the Absolute Boy

(he posts in UKMT sometimes)

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Hogge Wild posted:

Cool stuff! I also like how you can see the convergence pattern. And drat, attacking a flak ship with a plane takes guts. What kind of weapons did Mosquitos use in anti shipping operations?

Usually standard 20mm cannons and some .303 machine guns, iirc. (Wikipedia states 4 of each)

Really, depends on what variant you've got, as you've also got rockets, bombs, and maybe the modified large-caliber cannon attached.

Jobbo_Fett fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Jun 23, 2017

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

HEY GAIL posted:

ideally, pikemen wear helmets, breastplates, backplates, and depending on the period and how much they want to carry, tassets. (although rabhadh has seen reports of the guys throwing their armor away or selling it as soon as the authorities aren't looking)

i have seen pictures in manuals of musketeers with helmets, but anything more than that for them would gently caress up their ability to move around--the loading procedure involves a bunch of twisting.

Really interesting stuff! What about arquebusiers? Were their guns short enough to allow cuirasses? And would the Japanese armors be flexible enough to allow using muskets?

Splode posted:

I'd buy that immediately

yeah

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Benagain posted:

What I've read from re-enactor sites, all helmets required straps to stay on head during fighting.

Bourricot
Aug 7, 2016

Hogge Wild posted:

Thanks! Your high school history teacher should be proud. :)

Did you mean 'Legitimists' in the bolded part?
Oops, yeah. I'll correct it now.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

I only post when I have something useful to say and I'm currently trying to figure out if there's anything useful to say about Third Ypres (or, really, the vast majority of 1917) that isn't UGH SERIOUSLY AGAIN?????

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Trin Tragula posted:

I only post when I have something useful to say and I'm currently trying to figure out if there's anything useful to say about Third Ypres (or, really, the vast majority of 1917) that isn't UGH SERIOUSLY AGAIN?????

We have short-term memory problems, please remind us at every instance.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

There's got to be something happening in places which arn't western europe right? Or are they too sensible to keep banging their heads on a brick wall like the British

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Trin Tragula posted:

Zeppelin resupply missions to Africa

The start and end of strategic bombing mission against Britain by airplanes

The comedy of the "silent raid" Zeppelin raid

You know me, fairly narrow focus

More antics from General (?) von Lettow-Vorbeck

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Trin Tragula posted:

:justpost:

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

Nebakenezzer posted:

Zeppelin resupply missions to Africa

The start and end of strategic bombing mission against Britain by airplanes

The comedy of the "silent raid" Zeppelin raid

You know me, fairly narrow focus

More antics from General (?) von Lettow-Vorbeck Lawrence Paul of Arabia Tanganyika

Nine of Eight
Apr 28, 2011

LICK IT OFF, AND PUT IT BACK IN
Dinosaur Gum

Nebakenezzer posted:

Louis Barthas poo poo talking everyone higher than him on the totem pole

If Trin doesn't plan on continuing his saga, I do own his diary in the original French and am willing to keep posting excerpts.

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

Hogge Wild posted:

How well did they do?

As aides, they had minimal opportunities to do anything of importance. Paris at least is a very useful primary source for McClellan's time commanding the Army of the Potomac. Both brothers resigned in July 1862 as the Peninsula Campaign fell apart.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Do modern day bonapartists still believe conspiracy theories about Napoleon IV's death by assegai? 👍 if so

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Cyrano4747 posted:

Ok I did dome light digging. Disclaimer this is midnight internet poo poo from an iPad. I might have very well missed something but I'm not too terribly worried

First off I want to make it clear that the dude has published books, which is more than I can say. He's putting out popular histories that seem to be getting an audience so good on him.

That said his books don't seem to make any impact in the academic sphere. He's just not getting reviewed, which is a bad sign. Not even something by a grad student on H-France. The one review I was able to find that wasn't Amazon or something similar was a military history journal. The reviewer was a retired colonel who ended the review with vive l'empereur! so I'm not sure how good his assessment of the scholarship is or how unbiased he is.

Markham also isn't an academically trained historian. He has an MA and a MEd. now I will be the first one to stick up for people not needing a degree to write good history, but that training does come in handy when it comes to things like big interpretations where you are putting something in its political and historical context. You know, like figuring out if Napoleon was trying to pursue a policy of diplomacy and peace. Again, someone without academic training can do good history but it's less common. Most of those people also make enough of a splash to get reviewed and talked about.

The places that he is getting a lot of press from are all unabashedly pro napoleon. That's fascinating in and of itself. I wasn't aware that there was a napoleonic equivalent to die hard monarchists.

What is interesting is that I do see some traffic talking about some contributions he's made in publishing sources. Apparently he put together all of napoleons dispatches and got those published plus got napoleons doctors diary out there. That alone is an accomplishment and seems to be something that people are paying attention to.

My take off half an hour of research and trying to read the currents of a field that isnt my own is that he's a very enthusiastic amateur who writes really good prose and makes very readable histories, but that his specific analysis might not be the most credible. He reminds me a lot of the kind of non-academic historians you get writing on the ACW, down to the beneficial side effect of getting collections of documents published.
Haha, ok.
So ... would anyone say there is a consensus within the academic community on the question (of Napoleon's motives)?

(Kudos on BattleMoose for being convinced by an argument - not a common thing!)

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Dreylad posted:

Haha fair enough, I don't keep a close eye on this thread so I didn't know if this was derivative or not. We've got most of his letters to and from his father spanning several decades as well as his logbook. Like a lot of veterans he didn't talk a lot about the war.

According to his logbook he only started flying Mosquitos in July 1944, before that he flew supply planes for the Ministry of Supply and meterological flights for the RAF.

Here's another picture, similar idea, attack on a flack boat in Denmark.

One story he did tell was after a flight he returned from the Port of Skaw, Denmark. His plane was badly damaged by flack, and he had to fly all the way home on one engine with his prop hitting the top of the waves across the English Channel. He was able to gain enough altitude only after his plane had spent enough fuel to lighten the load and he was able to safely land at his aerodrome.

From his wartime letters he had this to say about the Mosquito:
That's one hell of a career trajectory.

'Come in, Dreylad's Grandpa. You've been doing some great work on supply runs and meteorological flights, so we're giving you a Mosquito so you can start loving a bunch of German botes' poo poo up.'

' :getin:'

I mean, holy poo poo.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Some pilots were stuck with the more boring flights and wanted to actually "do something". Its not all that crazy to see a transport plane pilot transfer over to combat flights.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

feedmegin posted:

I want to say pike stopped wearing armour in the UK at least over the course of the Civil War, though? Except helmets maybe.

Obviously they wouldn't need armor because they just pushed at each other right, no stabbing involved no siree.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Yvonmukluk posted:

That's one hell of a career trajectory.

'Come in, Dreylad's Grandpa. You've been doing some great work on supply runs and meteorological flights, so we're giving you a Mosquito so you can start loving a bunch of German botes' poo poo up.'

' :getin:'

I mean, holy poo poo.

Great uncle! But you'd be surprised what you might have to engage during a meterological survey! From one of his stories:

quote:

While returning from a MET (meteorological) flight high up in the North sea he spotted an enemy U-boat. He radioed his home base in Wick, Scotland and asked if the Allies had a submarine in the area. After an hour of anticipatory circling his plane just over the horizon out of sight of the submarine he got a reply “negative, attack and sink”. The plane was a small weather plane, a Hudson twin engine, equipped with wing mounted machine guns, which were too light to attack a U-boat but he thought he might be able to damage it enough to make it impossible to submerge. He dived his plane and approached the submarine with thumbs taught on the gun triggers. As he approached the “submarine “ it sprayed a tall spume of water into the air. His "U-boat" turned out to be a blue whale upon closer inspection.

And there were a few times during his training where he nearly got into some serious trouble:

From his letters:

quote:

At tea time there was a spot of trouble in the camp. We were in a queue when some RE’s(Royal Engineers) pushed in front. I said to my pal ‘look at these bastards pushing in’. A Lance Corporal of the RE’s was there and kicked up a row and eventually got a RAF Sergeant to put me on a charge. I’m under open arrest and have to report to the guard room every hour which is a bore. Sometime I suppose I go before the C.O. A good start to my air force career, what! I suppose that if I ever had any hope of a commission eventually it will be pretty well washed out.

Fortunately

quote:

I have just been to supper, and had it with the abovementioned Lance Corporal!! All very cheery and agreeable and the charge washed out. Much relief visible on the faces of my pals (one of them, when he heard of the trouble couldn’t eat his tea, the prisoner, however did full justice to his) Still, I’m glad not to start with a black mark.

Dreylad fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Jun 23, 2017

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
That's the most British thing I've read all day.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

nothing to seehere posted:

There's got to be something happening in places which arn't western europe right? Or are they too sensible to keep banging their heads on a brick wall like the British
the germans and british (or really, one german dude, one british dude, and 500 black guys who don't want to be there) herping and derping around africa

edit: until someone gets malaria and dies

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Jun 23, 2017

Lobster God
Nov 5, 2008

Ensign Expendable posted:

That's the most British thing I've read all day.

Queueing is serious business.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?

The middle east is pretty busy. In 1917 the British capture Baghdad and Palestine.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sinai_and_Palestine_Campaign

Disinterested fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Jun 23, 2017

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

*cough* Russia *cough*

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

The real tragedy of the Russian Revolutions is that they stopped us from ever knowing how close General Yudenich and his merry men could have got to Constantinople :sigh:

(He later led the White Russian march on Petrograd and then went into a quiet exile in France.)

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Always a damned spot of trouble at tea time, I reckon.

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners
was there anywhere actually decent on the gallipoli peninsula to land? at the narrow point(to the north east of the landings), artillery could be fired from both europe and turkey into the invasion flee/invasion beaches and the water was undoubtedly mined. from the western edge of the peninsula where the landings actually occurred, you'd need to fight through a series of ridges and valleys perpendicular to your direction of movement to reach open land(which is in easy range of guns from europe and turkey). no matter where you land, the turks seem to have unmolested internal lines of supply across the straits.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak
I would love to hear about the strategic bombing missions in WW1. There was a flight simulator with the gotha bomber in it and the goons I was playing with couldn't reliably get it off the ground. I can only imagine the raids were equally terrifying and farcical.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Nine of Eight posted:

If Trin doesn't plan on continuing his saga, I do own his diary in the original French and am willing to keep posting excerpts.

We didn't hear about a couple of amusing incidents involving international solidarity.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Splode posted:

I would love to hear about the strategic bombing missions in WW1. There was a flight simulator with the gotha bomber in it and the goons I was playing with couldn't reliably get it off the ground. I can only imagine the raids were equally terrifying and farcical.

If you want to hear about Zeppelins as strategic bombers I can help, but I too would like to hear about airplane bombing. I mean, one of the Zeppelin Strakken bombers had the wingspan of a B-29.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

HEY GAIL posted:

the germans and british (or really, one german dude, one british dude, and 500 black guys who don't want to be there) herping and derping around africa

edit: until someone gets malaria and dies

On the subject of derping around Africa, I recently found this awesome BBC series on youtube called End of Empire, which profiles the end of colonialism in 12 British colonies. I watched one episode on Kenya and the Mau Mau uprising.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QTtD8bxROmI&t=3054s

And it was really cool definitely not a topic where there's a lot of approachable material. The episode on Aden was great too, The British somehow found themselves stuck fighting a serious insurgency just to leave the country.

I really wish there was something equivalent for French colonies though, which I think are criminally undercovered. Anyone seen any documentaries on French colonialism in subsaharan Africa? How did France even come to occupy places like Chad in the first place?

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
T-60 production at GAZ and factory #37

Queue: T-60 tanks produced at Stalingrad, big guns for the KV-1, 122 mm howitzer for the T-34 and KV, A1E1 Independent, PzI Ausf. B, PzI Ausf. C, PzI Ausf. F, Renault FT, Maus in the USSR, 76 mm gun mod of the Matilda, M4A2(76)W, PzII Ausf. a though b, PzII Ausf. c through C, PzII Ausf. D through E, PzII Ausf. F, PzII trials in the USSR, Field modifications to American tanks, Israeli improvised armoured cars, Trials of the TKS and C2P in the USSR, Polish 37 mm anti-tank gun, T-37 with ShKAS, Wartime modifications of the T-37 and T-38, SG-122, Tank destroyers on the T-30 and T-40 chassis, 45 mm M-42 gun, SU-76 prototype, ZIK-7 and other light SPG designs, SU-26/T-26-6, SU-122 precursors, SU-122 competitors, Light Tank M5, Tankbuchse 41, PzVII Lowe, Marder II, Tiger #114, Chrysler K, Swedish tanks 1928–1934, Pak 97/38, 7.5 cm Pak 41, Czechoslovakian post-war prototypes, Praga AH-IV, Chaffee trials in the USSR, KV-1S, KV-13, s.FH. 18, Strv 81 and Strv 101

Available for request:

:britain:
Matilda

:sweden:
L-10 and L-30
Strv m/40
Strv m/42
Landsverk prototypes 1943-1951
Strv m/21
Strv m/41

:france:
SOMUA S 35 NEW

:godwin:
D.W. and VK 30.01(H) NEW

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Nebakenezzer posted:

If you want to hear about Zeppelins as strategic bombers I can help, but I too would like to hear about airplane bombing. I mean, one of the Zeppelin Strakken bombers had the wingspan of a B-29.

Constructing something that size out of piano wire, wood veneer, and canvas, and launching it airborne takes serious chutzpah. I hope they put a "Look upon my works, ye mighty, and despair" plaque on each of them.

aphid_licker fucked around with this message at 09:08 on Jun 24, 2017