Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(

That's gotta be Crusader Kings, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Shady Amish Terror posted:

That's gotta be Crusader Kings, right?

Google traces it to an indie game called "Who's Your Daddy?"

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
OH poo poo Who's Your Daddy now has multiple dads and babies modes? Chaos incarnate, I love it.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
I've loved reading developer logs ever since Thief: The Dark Project had theirs hidden in the game.

In the first game you could find it inside a secret basketball court.

In the second, you could 'build' the scroll with developer comments in the final mission.

And speaking of glitches, someone once figured out that if you held a crate at the right angle, you could stack them into staircases. Normally, they'd fall over, but if you did it just right you could do poo poo like this:

I can't even remember where I got this image from now, but I've kept it on my hard drives, moving from computer to computer for almost 17 years (it's been that long now since the game came out, wow :o:) just because it always makes me smile when people find ways to break a game over their knees.

Megillah Gorilla has a new favorite as of 17:46 on Jun 21, 2017

TheRagamuffin
Aug 31, 2008

In Paradox Space, when you cross the line, your nuts are mine.
I was hoping it was from this page, because it seems like the kind of thing that that guy does. Alas, not. I still recommend everyone read the stories there, especially the Deus Ex pages.

End of Shoelace
Apr 5, 2016
i remember a story of some goons in a post apocalyptic text mmorpg (MOO?) trolling dudes. they gathered round a campfire and each of them had a poo poo ton of blunts. they waited for someone to come over then they all passed him a joint in quick succession. it was an uncancellable action for other players, so the victim would smoke like 20 blunts one after the another while becoming increasingly angry. eventually he would go into a weed coma and he would then be looted.

also reminds me of the dungeons and dragons "peasant railgun". i dont remember the specifics but there is a clause where npcs can pass eachother an item in less than a turn, which is 6 seconds. someone calculated that if you hired a ton of peasants and arranged them in a spiral, with enough peasants the rock would be passed so fast in 6 seconds that when the last peasant in line tosses it, it launches at almost two times the speed of sound and obliterates anything

End of Shoelace has a new favorite as of 19:28 on Jun 21, 2017

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

End of Shoelace posted:

i remember a story of some goons in a post apocalyptic text mmorpg (MOO?) trolling a dude. they gathered round a campfire and each of them had a poo poo ton of blunts. they waited for someone to come over then they all passed him a joint in quick succession. it was an uncancellable action for other players, so the victim would smoke like 20 blunts one after the another while becoming increasingly angry. eventually he would go into a weed coma where he would then be looted.

Oh good lord. Some people in Hellmoo raided an online wedding, killed everyone, and stole the "Baby" which was a named cloth object with a description attached to it.

They put the baby up for sale in a vending machine for roughly all the money in the world's economy right outside the couple's apartment so they'd have to see it when they walked by.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

TheRagamuffin posted:

I was hoping it was from this page, because it seems like the kind of thing that that guy does. Alas, not. I still recommend everyone read the stories there, especially the Deus Ex pages.

This is good, I just wish there were a few more images or videos or something.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

End of Shoelace posted:

also reminds me of the dungeons and dragons "peasant railgun". i dont remember the specifics but there is a clause where npcs can pass eachother an item in less than a turn, which is 6 seconds. someone calculated that if you hired a ton of peasants and arranged them in a spiral, with enough peasants the rock would be passed so fast in 6 seconds that when the last peasant in line tosses it, it launches at almost two times the speed of sound and obliterates anything

While you could use this to move objects at incredible speeds, you couldn't actually use it in a fight because D&D doesn't account for velocity in damage rolls.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

Gorilla Salad posted:

I've loved reading developer logs ever since Thief: The Dark Project had theirs hidden in the game.

In the first game you could find it inside a secret basketball court.

In the second, you could 'build' the scroll with developer comments in the final mission.

And speaking of glitches, someone once figured out that if you held a crate at the right angle, you could stack them into staircases. Normally, they'd fall over, but if you did it just right you could do poo poo like this:

I can't even remember where I got this image from now, but I've kept it on my hard drives, moving from computer to computer for almost 17 years (it's been that long now since the game came out, wow :o:) just because it always makes me smile when people find ways to break a game over their knees.

I remember in Oblivion, you could stack paint brushes (which you could walk on, and for some reason they floated a bit). If you stacked enough you huge walls and access forbidden areas by walking on the. It was possible to best the game by jumping directly into the end game area and triggering the final cutscenes.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007

End of Shoelace posted:

Passing off an item is an instantaneous action that takes no time at all. It's mostly useful for parcel delivery, since peasants can be hired for dirt cheap and then instantly teleport small items across however many you have lined up, but the rules don't impart momentum on the item for doing so (and as pointed out, combat damage ignores velocity anyways).

Rough Lobster posted:

I remember in Oblivion, you could stack paint brushes (which you could walk on, and for some reason they floated a bit). If you stacked enough you huge walls and access forbidden areas by walking on the. It was possible to best the game by jumping directly into the end game area and triggering the final cutscenes.

In Oblivion, virtually all objects have collision and physics. This makes item-surfing somewhat possible, but the physics aren't very good for that. Paintbrushes however did NOT have physics, though they still had collision. This is probably an oversight as they're fairly rare decorative objects of little or no value, and it's easier to keep small decorative objects where they're supposed to be for effect when they're not HAVOKsing all around and exploding into the air anytime someone touches a nearby object and triggers physics calculations. This means that anytime you dropped a paintbrush, it would hover in the air in front of you exactly where you left it, permanently, forever, unless the cell unloaded them for whatever reason. They were basically small building blocks you could use to change the geometry of the world just a little bit, loving with NPCs or, yes, climbing over walls, out of cells, or into hidden loading zones.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

In Oblivion, virtually all objects have collision and physics. This makes item-surfing somewhat possible, but the physics aren't very good for that. Paintbrushes however did NOT have physics, though they still had collision. This is probably an oversight as they're fairly rare decorative objects of little or no value, and it's easier to keep small decorative objects where they're supposed to be for effect when they're not HAVOKsing all around and exploding into the air anytime someone touches a nearby object and triggers physics calculations. This means that anytime you dropped a paintbrush, it would hover in the air in front of you exactly where you left it, permanently, forever, unless the cell unloaded them for whatever reason. They were basically small building blocks you could use to change the geometry of the world just a little bit, loving with NPCs or, yes, climbing over walls, out of cells, or into hidden loading zones.
:yeah:

Wasn't there even a speedrun consisting solely of
1) Rush to nearest paintbrush
2) Dupe the heck out of it
3) Stack paintbrushes to reach the final area of the game(?)
...?

Also I remember that dupe glitch being the most hilarious thing ever, though I can't remember the details. I think you had to look right up at the sky with your bow drawn, drop and item and then shoot it midair? Then magic happens and suddenly you have a million <item> :pram:

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!
The unofficial patch fixed that.

The unofficial patch did not fix saveclipping. You can get through a bunch of walls by just mashing your face against them, saving, and reloading, because the game gives you control before it finishes loading the collision meshes. This is a bug in multiple different games for some bizarre reason.

e: And that makes the paintbrush speedrun obsolete, since you can now skip most of the dungeon escape as well.

The arrow dupe glitch sadly got patched out, I'm pretty sure. But you can still spray items out by duping with scrolls. If you have a bunch of scrolls that are in a multiple of what you're duping, you click the scrolls, then drop the items you want to dupe. You then get as many items as you have scrolls in stacks of the original. So if you have 1000 scrolls and 10 watermelons, 100 stacks of 10 watermelons would come flying out.

Double Punctuation has a new favorite as of 21:23 on Jun 21, 2017

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007

Your Computer posted:

3) Stack paintbrushes to reach the final area of the game(?)

If I remember right, the way this works is that the endgame sequence, a big dramatic setpiece in the central city, is actually in its own little special loading cell. When you go between indoors and outdoors most places in Oblivion, or between walled cities and the overworld, you're activating a portal, basically, that unloads one cell and then loads the other one and places you inside it. The dramatic final endgame encounter is tied to a single door that leads into the last area, but normally, it's hidden behind a normal door that's either non-functional or lets you pass between two of the other cells as normal. Once you've finally completed the main questline, the normal door is removed and the endgame door is put in its place.

Because it's easier to keep poo poo you'll need later loaded but hidden, that endgame door is always there, loaded everytime you're in the city, hidden just behind the normal door. All you've got to do is climb over the wall or phase your face through it to activate that door and let the story's true protagonist win the game for you because you're literally just there to enable their victory, plotwise.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

If I remember right, the way this works is that the endgame sequence, a big dramatic setpiece in the central city, is actually in its own little special loading cell. When you go between indoors and outdoors most places in Oblivion, or between walled cities and the overworld, you're activating a portal, basically, that unloads one cell and then loads the other one and places you inside it. The dramatic final endgame encounter is tied to a single door that leads into the last area, but normally, it's hidden behind a normal door that's either non-functional or lets you pass between two of the other cells as normal. Once you've finally completed the main questline, the normal door is removed and the endgame door is put in its place.

Because it's easier to keep poo poo you'll need later loaded but hidden, that endgame door is always there, loaded everytime you're in the city, hidden just behind the normal door. All you've got to do is climb over the wall or phase your face through it to activate that door and let the story's true protagonist win the game for you because you're literally just there to enable their victory, plotwise.

Another game that does something similar is the third Spyro game. In the games, you access other levels through portals. Being a collectathon game, some of the levels have requirements, and the portals aren't there until you meet them. Rather than remove the portals and put them back when you meet the requirements, the game physically moves the portals below the level or behind buildings, then moves them back when you do whatever the game wants. The problem is, this being a PS1 game, collision isn't a precise science, and the vast majority of the portals either clip slightly into the level or have some water nearby.

Why is water nearby important?

Well, this being a PS1 game, water isn't actually 3-dimensional. There are planes of water you can dive through into a hole, and then you'll be swimming in the hole until you touch the planes again.

Except your dive can miss the hole entirely. This either clips you through the level or puts you beside the water, resulting in you swimming in air and giving you access to any hidden portal you want.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
The pogo-stick easter egg in Just Cause 3 is a little buggy...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Zky_mrAGI4

TyrsHTML
May 13, 2004

I hearts of Iron 4 there is currently a bug: "fixedpoint overflow in peace conference which could give small nations lots of extra points". What does this mean? Well when the war is won all of the countries on the winning side get together and parcel out all of the land of the losing side. You get an amount of points based off how much you contributed (Manpower lost, number of troops sent, amount of territory gained, amount of enemy troops killed). Well right now tiny countries spend their points and then the game gives them everyone else's points and well you end up with this:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Goofy post-war maps are the funniest thing about HoIIV.

Like this game of mine where Sweden decided they wanted Siberia. Like, all of it.

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING

Rough Lobster posted:

Bethesda seems to have a really tough time with paint brushes in their games, it seems.

This glitch was also in Morrowind.

Because that game didn't have a physics engine, whenever you dropped any item, it was immediately placed at your feet.

Except paint brushes. They just floated at the center of where you were looking when you went into your inventory.

However, the paint brushes still had collision, so you could use them as stepping stones, ladders, or even barricades.

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

Velocity Raptor posted:

Bethesda seems to have a really tough time with paint brushes in their games, it seems.

This glitch was also in Morrowind.

Because that game didn't have a physics engine, whenever you dropped any item, it was immediately placed at your feet.

Except paint brushes. They just floated at the center of where you were looking when you went into your inventory.

However, the paint brushes still had collision, so you could use them as stepping stones, ladders, or even barricades.
:f5h::f5:

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK
I don't even play SS13 and I was disappointed when I heard about the removal of fractal cooking.

Edit: Apparently you could deep-fry anything, including non-food items, then cook six into a sandwich, make a sandwich cake, cut it into 6 slices, make a sandwich out of them, etc., etc. Rinse, repeat, crash server.

See "The Crashwich" in this post.

m2pt5 has a new favorite as of 10:46 on Jun 23, 2017

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I didn't realize fractal cooking had gotten the axe. That's a shame, but I guess it's understandable when its two primary uses were mischief against the crew and mischief against the server itself.

But yeah, the recipes were pretty malleable. You could deep-fry almost anything and get an edible 'fried x' where 'x' was the item. In turn, cakes and sandwiches had a standard blueprint where almost any food item could be substituted as the extra ingredient(s), and fried items were...technically...food.

So you could deep-fry a fire extinguisher and get 'a lightly fried fire extinguisher', slap that between two pieces of bread and toast it in the oven to get 'a lightly fried fire extinguisher sandwich', fry that to get a 'deep-fried lightly fried fire extinguisher sandwich', bake that into a cake to get a 'deep-fried lightly fried fire extinguisher sandwich cake', and repeat ad-nauseum in various combinations until the wall of 'fried fried fried lightly fried deep-fried burnt lightly fried fried fried deep-fried deep-fried' alone was enough to fill up the text-box of anyone unfortunate to look at it, and then you could continue further until the sandwich crashed the client of people who looked at it, and then you could continue further as in the Crashwich pedigree above and hard-lock the server so hard that admin tools can't touch the sandwich without crashing and the only solution is to power cycle the server.
E: Reread THE CRASHWICH, had forgotten it had a special ingredient to make it extra-zesty; much more efficient than trying to get the lag up to that level by hand.

In a similar vein, I wonder if Prison Loafs have been nerfed yet. Used to be there was a compactor system on the station that would allow you to turn almost any item into prison loaf, a disgusting, unsatisfying food-like object. Through complex Fractal Loafing systems, it was possible to condense loafs into special versions of themselves, including Neutron Loafs and the dread Quantum Loaf. For a while it was trendy to build one or multiples of these system in every game round, which became a problem when there were so many Quantum Loafs hurtling themselves around and deleting objects from existence that it would cause lag. That one's technically more of a feature than a bug, but such is SS13.

Shady Amish Terror has a new favorite as of 14:06 on Jun 23, 2017

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
afaik Loaf Science is still very much a thing.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

They fixed my SA control panel?

TopHatGenius
Oct 3, 2008

something feels
different

Hot Rope Guy
Quark Loafs are great because it has the raw power and object deleting power of a strangelet without it being semi-sentient.

It makes for a superb thrown weapon. A single toss can knock down, dismember 1 or more limbs, and put the target in crit or very bad health. Just don't try and bash them or you'll just end up feeding it to them.

It's ability to destroy walls on throw is amazing. In the game are adventure zones - areas that are challenging to navigate and survive but with rare loot. Normally you'll need items and keys to get though some of the puzzles or you can use the Quark Loaf to tunnel to your objective.

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

m2pt5 posted:

I don't even play SS13 and I was disappointed when I heard about the removal of fractal cooking.

Edit: Apparently you could deep-fry anything, including non-food items, then cook six into a sandwich, make a sandwich cake, cut it into 6 slices, make a sandwich out of them, etc., etc. Rinse, repeat, crash server.

See "The Crashwich" in this post.

I really really hope that the fractal cooking glitch was fixed by turning it into a homeopathy system, where every iteration adds stronger and stronger effects from the original item.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
That in and of itself would result in Problems, I'm sure. Making a recursive cake with, say, Fliptonium frosting on each layer would probably result in RPMs capable of crashing the consumer's client and gibbing anyone who tried to touch them.

...not that that's an issue on its own, per se, but the SS13 devs have gotten very gunshy over the years about giving users any ability that could potentially crash the server, because nearly every possible way gets found and employed unto death until removed again.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

If run for long enough, a system will eventually experience every possible state, including ones of catastrophic failure. This happens even for space shuttles, where no parts of the system are intelligent agents actively motivated to seek out catastrophe.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007

Doc Hawkins posted:

If run for long enough, a system will eventually experience every possible state, including ones of catastrophic failure. This happens even for space shuttles, where no parts of the system are intelligent agents actively motivated to seek out catastrophe.

Well, that is sort of the issue, isn't it? The space shuttle can generally be assumed not to have at least a dozen actively malicious agents on-board trying to destroy it at all times.

At least, I'd hope not.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Well, that is sort of the issue, isn't it? The space shuttle can generally be assumed not to have at least a dozen actively malicious agents on-board trying to destroy it at all times.

At least, I'd hope not.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
https://i.imgur.com/WlOBkhL.mp4

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

It's gotta be the shoes!

ultrabindu
Jan 28, 2009
https://twitter.com/jttoddy/status/882181964630900737

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Crossposting from the Friday the 13th thread:

Glitching starts at 6:50, if you don't want to watch the whole thing, but it's a pretty decent short match.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KMbsBkjMwbc

I really wish I knew why this happened so I could do it again. Great stress reliever!

The shiv button just plain didn't work. I definitely tried.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

HappyKitty
Jul 11, 2005

Agh! indeed.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Rolf's look is what sells it.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

:stare: that.... that is a new one. I assume that he was resurrected using the console?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Testekill posted:

:stare: that.... that is a new one. I assume that he was resurrected using the console?
Oh trust me, Bethesda is absolutely capable of such bugfuckery without the players' help.