Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Yeah I feel like they should have just stuck all her scenes in one episode and have that be that, because spacing them out across the season served zero purpose. Every other vignette had a clear message (and in most cases characters like Anansi ended up interacting with the main cast if only briefly), all we know about Bilquis is that she likes unbirthing people and she is going to some place that is apparently meaningful but not at all if you haven't read the book.

All it did was make me loathe that awful character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I hope Odin goes all Shao Kahn on the new gods asses and Media joins them.

Also i dont know what was so SHOCKING about the series. They gay scene was really gratious and Vulcano people were charicatures and not DRUMPF DRUMF DRUNF!

Charles Manson Jesus, best Jesus.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
The Vulcan stuff is what I thought you might hate

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Soothing Vapors posted:

The Vulcan stuff is what I thought you might hate

Nah the only part i hated was Bilquis , what a waste. We needed more Czernobog

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
I like Bilquis, and would happily worship the disco version in particular.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

DoctorGonzo posted:

Nah the only part i hated was Bilquis , what a waste. We needed more Czernobog

More Zorya Sr. Too, Cloris Leachman is a treasure

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Soothing Vapors posted:

More Zorya Sr. Too, Cloris Leachman is a treasure

I really liked young star sister. VERY ESOTERIC!

I hope my friend Shadow meets her again and Laura doesnt gently caress up Wotan plans!

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

If anyone's interested in costume design, Tom and Lorenzo have some write-ups about the show's style here. They can read a little too much into things, but their Mad Men style posts were overall great, so I'm glad they're giving this show the same treatment

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Crow Jane posted:

I like Bilquis, and would happily worship the disco version in particular.

Nu uh sorry, you get goofy CGI baby-man-devourer Bilquis of episode 1 & 2 fame.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Why Bilquis, it could have been Aprodite or something.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Because to some degree these choices were clearly made to be as edgy has humanly possible.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

Aphrodite's been done, imo, and would probably be depicted as a boring blonde lady or something. I find Bilquis much more interesting.

Though it would've been neat if they'd included Aphrodite as Vulcan's hot, bored wife

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

MiddleOne posted:

Because to some degree these choices were clearly made to be as edgy has humanly possible.

To me this is the fatal flaw of the show. Just tell good stories, god dammit!

I will watch to know what happens to Shadow and the god wars. I dont give a gently caress about the show runners political stances if they cant do a good job with that.

River Jesus= Awesome
Gay muslim djinn= interesting
Vulcano= Charicatures and DRUMPF wankery
Black bisexual nympho what edgy thing we could add to her? Get the gently caress out with that crap

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

My main problem with Bilquis is that she is horribly, horribly underdrawn. Like, we got her first two story beats (starving god! vagine vortex!) and then every subsequent appearance was just rehashing those same beats while adding very little else. Fuller's not an idiot so I imagine he has something planned for her, but if she's not going to factor into season 1 at all then she's only really being included because he really wanted to show folks getting eaten by a vagina

What I'm saying here is just give us what the people want: an hour a week of Mad Sweeney and Laura dunking on each other, with occasional grandiose Ian McShane speeches

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Soothing Vapors posted:

My main problem with Bilquis is that she is horribly, horribly underdrawn. Like, we got her first two story beats (starving god! vagine vortex!) and then every subsequent appearance was just rehashing those same beats while adding very little else. Fuller's not an idiot so I imagine he has something planned for her, but if she's not going to factor into season 1 at all then she's only really being included because he really wanted to show folks getting eaten by a vagina

What I'm saying here is just give us what the people want: an hour a week of Mad Sweeney and Laura dunking on each other, with occasional grandiose Ian McShane speeches

Add Easter and Gillian and we have a deal!

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

Perestroika posted:

Fake edit: Come to think of it, she might also be kind of a hybrid between old and new gods in terms of her nature. On the one hand, she still does the whole personal worship thing via the vaginebula. But at the same time whatever the new gods did to make her relevant again also linked her into that whole passive distributed worship thing that they've got going on.

The new gods basically gave her the same deal as Vulcan/Saint Nick and made Bilquis the god of Tinder.

BexGu fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Jun 23, 2017

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

How is being black or bisexual "edgy"?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

BexGu posted:

The new gods basically gave her the same deal as Vulcan/Saint Nick and made Bilquis the god of Tinder.

Well someone also gave her a museum exhibit.

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up

Snak posted:

That'd make anyone feel old

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

Snak posted:

Kinda had too the original templates where getting destroyed by ISIS.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Snak posted:

It was toad guy

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Crow Jane posted:

How is being black or bisexual "edgy"?

Nobody said that?

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

DoctorGonzo posted:

Nobody said that?

DoctorGonzo posted:

Black bisexual nympho what edgy thing we could add to her? Get the gently caress out with that crap

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

DoctorGonzo posted:

You did?

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

The edgy part was her eating people with her vagina obviously

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The edgy part is a one note character

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

I just want to take a moment to point out again how incredibly good and full of detail the credits sequence is. The camera in the eye of the cherub; the microphone in the ninefold candle; the drugs for the Buddha and the mixed prayer wheel / needles, all resolving ultimately into a totem pole.

It's really loving good is what I'm saying.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

DoctorGonzo posted:

"Too white" despite missing both arms thanks to a famous statue. Ableism wins.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Toplowtech posted:

"Too white" despite missing both arms thanks to a famous statue. Ableism wins.

This series needs walkiries. They could be muslim strippers or something

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Beefeater1980 posted:

I just want to take a moment to point out again how incredibly good and full of detail the credits sequence is. The camera in the eye of the cherub; the microphone in the ninefold candle; the drugs for the Buddha and the mixed prayer wheel / needles, all resolving ultimately into a totem pole.

I agree, I noticed something new every time. Must've been hella fun to make and film.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Beefeater1980 posted:

It looks pretty cool but it takes too long so I end up skipping through it.

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up

DoctorGonzo posted:

Because Bilquis was in the book?

Gaiman's all about obscure folklore characters in everything he writes and the Greek pantheon's had its dick sucked for 2,000 years.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Also no one has forgotten about Aphrodite. So it wouldn't even be the same story.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
Also lmao of course some gods are one note, they're gods of SPECIFIC THINGS.
"Fuckin Ares, always talking about war and always shown fighting, what a dumb one-note character."

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Also just catching up - Are we supposed to think that the widow Richardson murdered her nice husband John (seeing as she "swore she heard the Banshee cry the week before he died"), possibly by poisoning an apple?

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

Beefeater1980 posted:

Also just catching up - Are we supposed to think that the widow Richardson murdered her nice husband John (seeing as she "swore she heard the Banshee cry the week before he died"), possibly by poisoning an apple?

Nah, that's just how banshees work. Hear 'em howling, you know someone's gonna die soon. Technically they're exclusively tied to noble Irish families, but maybe Essie qualified and by extent so did her husband

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Essie was the same actress than Laura?

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Beefeater1980 posted:

I just want to take a moment to point out again how incredibly good and full of detail the credits sequence is. The camera in the eye of the cherub;[...]

I don't think they are cherubs:

quote:

In Greek mythology the Graeae (/ˈɡraɪi/; English translation: "old women", "grey ones", or "grey witches"; alternatively spelled Graiai (Γραῖαι) and Graiae), also called the Grey Sisters, and the Phorcides ("daughters of Phorcys"),[1] were three sisters who shared one eye and one tooth among them. Their names were Deino (or Dino), Enyo, and Pemphredo (or Pephredo).

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
Honestly I'm trying to think what other Greco-Roman deities might show up as old gods and the only one I can think right now is probably Athena/Minerva

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

achillesforever6 posted:

Honestly I'm trying to think what other Greco-Roman deities might show up as old gods and the only one I can think right now is probably Athena/Minerva

Zeus as a Glenn Beck, Alex Jones kind of guy