Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
What a name

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

The flavour text isn't much better.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

Mezzanon posted:

Yeah I do I'm 12-0 right now on Wednesday night standards, which is just adding to me going infinite at my FLGS

Creatures
4 Greenbelt Rampager
2 Longtusk Cub
4 Scrapheap Scrounger
4 Voltaic Brawler
3 Rhonas the Indomitable
2 Bristling Hydra
3 Hazoret the Fervent
2 Glorybringer

Spells
4 Attune with Aether
2 Blossoming Defense
3 Fatal Push
3 Unlicensed Disintegration

Artifacts
2 Heart of Kiran
1 Aethersphere harvester (eeeeehhhhh)

Lands
3 Aether Hub
4 Blooming Marsh
4 Forest
4 Game Trail
3 Mountain
2 Sheltered Thicket (should be 1 thicket and 4 aether hub)
1 Swamp

Sideboard

4 Transgress the Mind
2 Dispossess
1 Manglehorn (should be 2)
2 Prowling Serpopard
3 Release the Gremlins (needs to be changed)
1 Nissa, Vital Force
1 Ob Nixilis Reignited
1 Skysovereign Consul Flagship
75 Cards Total

Cool, thanks.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify
A card named loving Doomfall depicting Bolas basically destroying a plane? Let's make it a decent limited card.

However, is it just me or have they been increasing the amount of modal spells these past several years? Can get behind that if so.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Pontius Pilate posted:

A card named loving Doomfall depicting Bolas basically destroying a plane? Let's make it a decent limited card.

However, is it just me or have they been increasing the amount of modal spells these past several years? Can get behind that if so.

I hope so too, although it seems like a pretty tough-to-balance design space. I also think they make a pretty good solution to the "no answers" problem they've had, because they can print narrower cards that still have potential to be generically useful.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

mandatory lesbian posted:

unless he did and tsa broke them open right in front of him, now that would be hilarious

If this looks like it's happening you pick it up, turn around, and walk out of the airport. But likely you're some pushover nerd who mumbles to his feet and complains later on reddit about it.

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Me and the boys on the way to kill another demon god

Rinkles posted:

What a name

Interesting card though. Doesn't seem to have a lot of constructed potential since the opponent has the choice of which creature to sac, but it seems good in limited.

Star Man posted:

I was told today that someone who went to GP Las Vegas bought a sealed booster box of Beta for something like $44,000 and one of the few known sealed copies of an Alpha starter deck and their seals were broken by TSA at the airport.

Were they planning on not opening it? I would've busted the Beta packs and immediately "quadruple sleeve" each card that comes out of it. Assuming there's at least one P9 and a few duals that's gotta be all the value right there.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
I bet you took all your action figures out of the packaging as well, like a loving animal

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
has anyone in this thread tried eternal? I just got into it and it's pretty dope. pretty much a magic clone but with all the good parts of hearthstone (cheap, good interface, uses non-physical design space). also mmr-based matchmaking for drafts and constructed

went 7-1 in my second draft ever :coolspot:

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

mossyfisk posted:

I bet you took all your action figures out of the packaging as well, like a loving animal

As a matter of fact I took them out then immediately put them in some other packaging :v:

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

InterrupterJones posted:

Were they planning on not opening it? I would've busted the Beta packs and immediately "quadruple sleeve" each card that comes out of it. Assuming there's at least one P9 and a few duals that's gotta be all the value right there.

There is a reason that its worth 44K sealed. The second its unsealed it losses a lot of money. The reason for it is that the supply of unsealed cards is probably almost out. The seal is a huge issue.

I guess if you have 44k to spend on a booster box you don't try to take it on an airplane with you in your carry on though.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

mandatory lesbian posted:

unless he did and tsa broke them open right in front of him, now that would be hilarious

About one out of every three times TSA will flag my bag in the scanner and take out my deck boxes and open them up, and this is in the pre-check line. The TSA trickster gods were not smiling on him that day, I guess

Sickening posted:

I guess if you have 44k to spend on a booster box you don't try to take it on an airplane with you in your carry on though.

what's the other option? in your checked bag (if they had one) is way more risky, and even in the mail you've let your 5-figure investment out of sight. if i were not a frequent flier, a box of cardboard for playing a children's card game would not cross my mind as a suspicious item

Johnny Five-Jaces fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Jun 23, 2017

Gustav
Jul 12, 2006

This is all very confusing. Do you mind if I call you Rodriguez?
Hard to imagine what they were expecting to find in there...

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

And here I thought that someone who'd pony up 40k for a box of cardboard would have their own private jet so this wouldn't be an issue.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
If you spend 44k on a box, you can probably also pay to have it shipped with at least partial insurance, I would think?

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000
Elite member of the Grammar Nazi Squad that

whydirt posted:

If you spend 44k on a box, you can probably also pay to have it shipped with at least partial insurance, I would think?

Money can't buy brains, apparently.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

little munchkin posted:

has anyone in this thread tried eternal? I just got into it and it's pretty dope. pretty much a magic clone but with all the good parts of hearthstone (cheap, good interface, uses non-physical design space). also mmr-based matchmaking for drafts and constructed

went 7-1 in my second draft ever :coolspot:

Yeah Eternal is awesome, new set comes out soon and they're having a weird constructed prerelease this weekend where they spoiled 5 cards and you have to make a deck that uses 4 copies of one of them, sounds interesting.

Gustav
Jul 12, 2006

This is all very confusing. Do you mind if I call you Rodriguez?
It's not an intuitive thing for non-americans to expect that airport security will take random objects from your luggage and rip them up.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I can't find anything on Google about the incident, so I can't figure out where the person that told me about this found out about it. I have no idea how you transport a box of cards that you can never know what they are because they're worth that much money invisible to you than they are open. I guess having them in your possession is the safest way, but you have to gamble with security not busting it open.

But I guess what happened is that TSA removed the seal to the Beta box, but did not open the packs. They just opened it enough to verify that they were just trading cards.

Then again, people involved with Magic are not a very bright bunch of people.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
Lol at the name

https://twitter.com/saffronolive/status/878261762092650496

Tainen fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Jun 23, 2017

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
https://twitter.com/saffronolive/status/878261901356142594

https://twitter.com/saffronolive/status/878259839113154560

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
It's a bad lava axe at 3 or even 4 mana, and by the time you get to 5+ mana you're well into the punishers-are-bad zone as your opponent discards excess lands or sacrifices just enough permanents to not die while you're taking an entire turn not really affecting the board. It's not going to turn around a game you're behind, and it's probably not going to turn an even game into one you're winning.

Potentially nice if your plan is to ramp into huge amounts of mana I guess, but you're probably still better off with Ulamog.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Jabor posted:

It's a bad lava axe at 3 or even 4 mana, and by the time you get to 5+ mana you're well into the punishers-are-bad zone as your opponent discards excess lands or sacrifices just enough permanents to not die while you're taking an entire turn not really affecting the board. It's not going to turn around a game you're behind, and it's probably not going to turn an even game into one you're winning.

Potentially nice if your plan is to ramp into huge amounts of mana I guess, but you're probably still better off with Ulamog.
Nonland permanents

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
I see, a vertical cycle of terrible punishers

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Gustav posted:

Hard to imagine what they were expecting to find in there...

i think the stacks of cards just show up as big black boxes on the screen. all sorts of weird poo poo gets flagged. When flying out of Wisconsin I have been asked, multiple times, if I have cheese curds in my bag because apparently it looks like explosives on the monitors. I mean maybe that's just a joke that Wisconsin TSA do but it's happened more than once at multiple airports

goth smoking cloves
Feb 28, 2011

TheKingofSprings posted:

I see, a vertical cycle of terrible punishers

Torment of Venom is probably fine in limited.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

The venom one would've been fine at 1BB but I guess the mana cost is part of the cycle consistency or something.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

So has Wizards elaborated on why Bolas is deciding to utterly destroy a plane that isn't useful to him anymore instead of just leaving, or is it just "he's a generic evil bad guy!!!" terrible writing that we've come to expect from them?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

goth smoking cloves posted:

Torment of Venom is probably fine in limited.

So is a Grizzly Bear and I don't care about those either

Panderfringe
Sep 12, 2011

yospos

The Shortest Path posted:

So has Wizards elaborated on why Bolas is deciding to utterly destroy a plane that isn't useful to him anymore instead of just leaving, or is it just "he's a generic evil bad guy!!!" terrible writing that we've come to expect from them?
I think he's just a senile old dragon and forgot what he was even doing.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

It hasn't been explained yet.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

There's still half a set of spoilers and a month of stories to come out. Maybe fuckin chill a little??

e: good post/username combo though, I guess.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
Re: That Beta box stories. Boxes weren't sealed with the fancy branded plastic vack then so there is no real way to know if it was factory sealed or just re-sealed.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

bolas caught wind of your posting and is now destroying all of creation, starting wiht Amonkhet

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

A little upset that's not "Farm // Table"

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Is the idea that the mummy is selling human meat?

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

InterrupterJones posted:

A little upset that's not "Farm // Table"

came here to post this

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Johnny Five-Jaces posted:

bolas caught wind of your posting and is now destroying all of creation, starting wiht Amonkhet

Good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Rinkles posted:

What a name

Now what am I going to name my video game?