Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is going to be your favorite offseason storyline?
This poll is closed.
The Big3 Tourney 67 22.41%
Will Lakers draft Ball 40 13.38%
Where will the Pauls go 54 18.06%
Will LeBron jump ship to the Spurs or ?? 41 13.71%
Will every team in the league just pivot towards tanking 97 32.44%
Total: 210 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

MourningView posted:

I don't think their actual picks were very good but they got rid of Trey Lyles so on balance still a good night
The players they took all performed really well in the draft models that I've seen relative to the positions they were picking in and they used assets that were fine to risk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Lockback posted:

Signing Crowder to a 5 year, $35 million contract has completely hamstrung the franchise. That's almost 7% of the cap space going to one starter!

7% doesn't seem like very much tbh

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch
drat Pritchard really dug in and started throwing water balloons at Paul George's camp last night huh

Does he think that helps with trade value

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Ramadu posted:

7% doesn't seem like very much tbh

He's joking mate.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Cool Buff Man posted:

He's joking mate.

After the butler trade I have no idea who's having a giggle and who isn't anymore

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Ramadu posted:

After the butler trade I have no idea who's having a giggle and who isn't anymore

Hahah thats absolutely fair. We have about a week to cool off before things go silly again

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Ainge is good but him either A) throwing pr out there that they would have taken Tatum over Fultz cause the backcourt is crowded and ~winning~ or B) that actually being true is not a good look

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
https://twitter.com/JADubin5/status/878242959917027328

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Metapod posted:

Ainge is good but him either A) throwing pr out there that they would have taken Tatum over Fultz cause the backcourt is crowded and ~winning~ or B) that actually being true is not a good look

Agreed, I definitely wish they had grabbed Fultz but there's a big difference between making a questionable move that could still pay off and being generally "awful"

I am also convinced the Bulls wanted Dunn more than anything else

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

Wait are people actually angry at Ainge? I can never tell who's serious or joking anymore. The cap drop seems like it really hosed with the plans of a lot of teams to try and add two max guys.

elime anning
Nov 19, 2002

Morbid Hound

Cool Buff Man posted:

Hahah thats absolutely fair. We have about a week to cool off before things go silly again

Are you suggesting that 6 nights from now we're gonna be up all night because we can't sleep?

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

i think mostly celtics fans are mad at ainge because he wasn't the one who robbed the bulls

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

gently caress everything

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

Metapod posted:

pretty much every rumor that comes out of the celtics FO is smoke and mirrors to appease the fans

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.
I just woke up to be thankful that while my dumb team's FO is terrible it could be worse. It could be the Bulls' FO.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Shear Modulus posted:

i think mostly celtics fans are mad at ainge because he wasn't the one who robbed the bulls

Then they don't understand how stupid GarPax are and how badly they fuckin wanted Kris Dunn. Vivek bad. It's gonna be a mess and I'm so sorry for the Bulls fans here

I also don't believe Celtics fans are mad at Ainge, everyone seems unusually satisfied with how it all went

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

straight up brolic posted:

The players they took all performed really well in the draft models that I've seen relative to the positions they were picking in and they used assets that were fine to risk

I like all the trades they made if they'd used the picks on someone else. Mitchell is long and can jump but he's still a 6'1" dude who can't play point guard and doesn't have any stand out offensive skill. Bradley was really productive but couldn't play extended minutes and isn't an NBA athlete and I'm not sure he projects that well beyond his offensive rebounding

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Lockback posted:

Signing Crowder to a 5 year, $35 million contract has completely hamstrung the franchise. That's almost 7% of the cap space going to one starter!

That's Jae CHOWDAH!!! CHOWDAH! I'll kill you! I'll kill all of you!! Especially those of you in the jury

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch
I keep thinking about Semi Ojeleye's muscles and swooning. I do believe that may be a steal of a pick

EvanTH posted:

That's Jae CHOWDAH!!! CHOWDAH! I'll kill you! I'll kill all of you!! Especially those of you in the jury

Hahah

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

Semi Ojeleye is a good pick and he only fell because he doesn't have a position which is dumb 9/10

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Semi Ojeleye is a good pick and he only fell because he doesn't have a position which is dumb 9/10

His three looks pretty legit from what I see so I'm pretty happy about that

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Shear Modulus posted:

This is probably most of it, yeah.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

pubic works project posted:

I just woke up to be thankful that while my dumb team's FO is terrible it could be worse. It could be the Bulls' FO.

Like bad GM's and team presidents happen, it's fine, not everyone hits and can do the job well. Sometimes poo poo happens. I understand a team making a mistake and loving up a GM hire.

Bad GM's and team presidents that are teflon, and will never ever ever be fired or ever ever ever have to face accountability from anyone are trash.

2018 will be loving ~15 years that John Paxson has been in charge of this team.

They will have made it out of the first round of the playoffs 4 times...

There is no reason that John Paxson should still be in charge of this loving team.

And there is definitely no way Hoiberg, or Gar Foreman should still be around, after Foreman got more control over drafting after the Butler draft and the Bulls drafting has been straight garbage since then.

It's just loving infuriating.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch
Hoiberg's back to coaching an NCAA team so maybe he'll be 20x better

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

Cool Buff Man posted:

His three looks pretty legit from what I see so I'm pretty happy about that
I actually think his best case NBA comp is Crowder, which is kind of funny

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

I actually think his best case NBA comp is Crowder, which is kind of funny

Yeah Rick said he didn't fully understand the pick and then I reminded him that they need to get rid of Crowder if they want space for the max and we had a gentleman's nod

Glad I wasn't just dreaming the comp, thank you

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

Raptors won the draft because they got a guy named OG who has played basketball for only 3 weeks but loves dunking, defense and cheesecake.

Raptors 905 going back2back baby

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

Metapod posted:

I just want everyone to appreciate how the thunder drafted a dude born in Tulsa and is also a warrior fan.

I came here to ask you about this guy and well, ugh.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Jae Chowdah is now SAS canon

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

I can't wait for French Frank to become a star

:Knickstape:

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch
https://twitter.com/AdamMKaufman/status/878229367704485888

Hey whatever it'd be cool if it happens

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

That's actually ideal, and what I expected. They can use their space to get Hayward, then use the salaries of the picks (after 30 days) to help match PG. Similar to what Cleveland did with Wiggins to get Love.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

I really like both Kris Dunn and Zach Lavine and I'm going to miss them both because they're fun and do cool stuff but on the other hand, now the Wolves are going to be way better at winning games so I'm pretty stoked. And they've kept Rubio which is good and right and as it should be. I hope Chicago keeps Zach on ice until the all star weekend, and just lets him out to win the dunk comp.

Sorry Bulls fans, this is a bad deal, but I hope you enjoy your dunk champ nonetheless.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

wandler20 posted:

I came here to ask you about this guy and well, ugh.

loving owned bitch

This is not the quick and dumb trade I was hoping for

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Lockback posted:

That's actually ideal, and what I expected. They can use their space to get Hayward, then use the salaries of the picks (after 30 days) to help match PG. Similar to what Cleveland did with Wiggins to get Love.

Yeah, it almost seems too perfect so I immediately shy away from hoping for it, but I would definitely be willing to deal whatever fuckin picks it takes to get PG on an extension along with Hayward. That'd be a very fun team to watch.

Metapod posted:

This is not the quick and dumb trade I was hoping for

Lol

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

Whoops

Stagger_Lee
Mar 25, 2009

Dexo posted:

2018 will be loving ~15 years that John Paxson has been in charge of this team.

They will have made it out of the first round of the playoffs 4 times...

The expected number of times for a team to make it out of the first round of the playoffs in 15 years, if the league were completely randomized, is exactly 4.

(I'm not disagreeing that the Bulls FO is trash, I just think there's a tendency for people to place the average expectations for a given NBA team a little higher than average. And to not leave room for the fact that even if there were no idiot loser teams in the league, ~15 of them would still end up looking like idiot losers based on record.)

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch
Man if that rumor is at all true, "Paul George will join the team if you do" might be a great selling point for Hayward

It's also in the best interest of the Pacers to convince PG cuz Boston can definitely give them the best value

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Stagger_Lee posted:

The expected number of times for a team to make it out of the first round of the playoffs in 15 years, if the league were completely randomized, is exactly 4.

(I'm not disagreeing that the Bulls FO is trash, I just think there's a tendency for people to place the average expectations for a given NBA team a little higher than average. And to not leave room for the fact that even if there were no idiot loser teams in the league, ~15 of them would still end up looking like idiot losers based on record.)

Fair enough. The difference is this FO then sabotaged, pushed out and insulted the coach that managed to do it 3 of those 4 times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
It sucks that Utah rebuilt about as well as they possibly could have and it's going to fall apart because of lovely injury luck and another team in the conference catching a bunch of breaks to build the best team of all time.

• Locked thread