Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

Captain America was going to arrest him to answer for his crimes so he hit him with the anti-prejudice ray and surprised when Cap still wanted to arrest him.

Magneto ended up breaking it at the end of the story but used it one last time to influence a judge's decision but the story was kept vague on if the judge would have said Magneto was innocent or not. It's Avengers.

It's 1987's X-men vs The Avengers btw. 4 issue mini series, they switched creative teams on the last issue because it sounded like Jim Shooter was really pushing for this to be the Magneto was always a badguy story and they decided settled on it not being this story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

See what you ought to do is shoot the Red Skull with the anti-prejudice ray and see what happens.

Avian Pneumonia
May 24, 2006

ASK ME ABOUT MY OPINIONS ON CANCEL CULTURE
Crosspostin' from the june thread because I'm not sure where else this should go.

---

Howdy folks my name is Avian Pneumonia and MY GIRLFRIEND just inherited a bunch of comic books from her father who recently died.

Thing is that these comics include a bunch of really valuable comics?

The photos she's sent me include an Archie comics #1, Archie's Girls: Betty and Veronica #1, and Archie's Pal: Jughead #1.

I know not much more than the average early 30s American about comics and I know NOTHING about the process for determining the value and selling such things.

What the hell should we do? We first need to get them graded by a professional but there are different organizations? And then where to sell it? I've been ripped off on ebay before and am cautioning against it but I'm also weary of some of the auction houses that are being mentioned as I'd imagine they'd take a big cut.

Help?

Is this even the right thread? Apologies if there's a better spot for this to be.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

If you're looking to have a comic valued for sale to collectors, you're probably going to want to do it through CGC. I actually don't know anything about how they work or what they charge since I've never used their services, I just know that they're the group that all the people who pay thousands for funnybooks approve of.

You should also know that condition really, really matters in determining whether a comic is valuable or not. Here's a guide for how the experts grade conditions https://www.mycomicshop.com/help/grading I could be wrong but I think even for iconic comics only 8.0s and above really bring in the big bucks. Also be aware that there are some facsimile reprints that are essentially worthless.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Really old stuff can still be really valuable in low condition though, because there are very few examples of good condition old comics.

Like see here: https://www.mycomicshop.com/search?TID=165481

On the CGC Census, the best Archie #1 they've ever seen was an 8.5 and the most common is a 3.0. A 3.0 is "extensive damage".

MyComicshop there wants $800 for just the cover to X-Men #1. Torn from the comic, held together by tape.

It that's a real Archie #1 it's worth a few thousand in lovely condition apparently, and that looks to be in pretty good shape.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
I'm not normally a fan of getting comics graded, but this isn't a normal situation. Unless those are reprints (and they don't look like reprints), you're gonna want to send them off to CGC. You've got a tidy little windfall there if you end up selling, and some genuine heirlooms if you don't.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I really want to read Judge Owl comics

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

CapnAndy posted:

I'm not normally a fan of getting comics graded, but this isn't a normal situation. Unless those are reprints (and they don't look like reprints), you're gonna want to send them off to CGC. You've got a tidy little windfall there if you end up selling, and some genuine heirlooms if you don't.

I can't even find mention of reprints existing at all under the same name. And yeah normally it would be identified as a reprint anyway.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Absolutely get those graded. Humor comics don't exactly have huge demand these days but books of that vintage will always be an easy sale.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Rhyno posted:

Absolutely get those graded. Humor comics don't exactly have huge demand these days but books of that vintage will always be an easy sale.

Is there any more interest in Archie stuff due to the company's more modern direction and the popularity of Riverdale? I never gave a poo poo about Archie in my life, but I loved the show, and I see their comics all over Hoopla now -- both the modern series and collections of corny-looking old classics.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Is there any more interest in Archie stuff due to the company's more modern direction and the popularity of Riverdale? I never gave a poo poo about Archie in my life, but I loved the show, and I see their comics all over Hoopla now -- both the modern series and collections of corny-looking old classics.

I haven't really checked. We've had a large number of vintage Archies come through the store (nothing like these) and there's almost no market for them. The vintage Archie fanbase is pretty much gone these days.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Rhyno posted:

I haven't really checked. We've had a large number of vintage Archies come through the store (nothing like these) and there's almost no market for them. The vintage Archie fanbase is pretty much gone these days.

That's because they died of old age.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
A quick look at Ebay shows Lil' Archie #1 for sale for several hundred dollars, but it's a "buy it now" price not an auction, so no idea if anyone is actually paying that much.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Endless Mike posted:

I really want to read Judge Owl comics

Bumbie the Bee-Tective looks stoned as hell. Wonder what's in that pipe?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Lurdiak posted:

That's because they died of old age.

I WAS TRYING TO NOT BE MORBID

But yeah. Same goes for War, Westerns and Romance comics. The fanbase is gone so their values have plummeted.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
That's fascinating to me. I always wondered how some collectible memorabilia/antiques managed to remain collectible well beyond the lifetime of cultural relevance, and with comics, it apparently doesn't.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Just read the Power Man and Iron Fist annual and Danny says he thought Damon Hellstrom was a villain now, when did that happen? Last time I saw him was in either Journey into Mystery where he's clearly a good guy, or New Avengers from around the same time, and he fights the Avengers, but he's clearly being mind controlled, Dr. Strange is mind controlled at the same time.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

He was in Hellcat being a jerk not too long ago.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Endless Mike posted:

He was in Hellcat being a jerk not too long ago.

Being a jerk and being a villain are different things, for example Clint Barton Hawkeye, or Quicksilver (although he's often a villain too, he's still an rear end in a top hat when he isn't a villain)

I should read Hellcat, I feel partially responsible for it's cancellation, since I bought and enjoyed the first issue then never bought another.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Skwirl posted:

Just read the Power Man and Iron Fist annual and Danny says he thought Damon Hellstrom was a villain now, when did that happen? Last time I saw him was in either Journey into Mystery where he's clearly a good guy, or New Avengers from around the same time, and he fights the Avengers, but he's clearly being mind controlled, Dr. Strange is mind controlled at the same time.
Maybe he's just profiling because of Damien's dad.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Nessus posted:

Maybe he's just profiling because of Damien's dad.

Weren't they in The Defenders at the same time or some poo poo?

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Skwirl posted:

Weren't they in The Defenders at the same time or some poo poo?

Iron Fist was in the Defenders for about one issue. I don't recall if Son of Satan was on the team at the time though.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home
They were both "Defenders for a Day," but I think Hellstrom stuck around after.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
Hellstrom had a heel turn in the last few years, yeah, to the point where he was hanging around with Baron Zemo in Avengers Undercover; I seem to recall that it was during the time that Doctor Strange had lost the title of Sorcerer Supreme but I can't recall the details.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Skwirl posted:

Being a jerk and being a villain are different things, for example Clint Barton Hawkeye, or Quicksilver (although he's often a villain too, he's still an rear end in a top hat when he isn't a villain)

I should read Hellcat, I feel partially responsible for it's cancellation, since I bought and enjoyed the first issue then never bought another.

I mean, he literally sent Hellcat to Hell, which is pretty villainous!!

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

Hellstrom had a heel turn in the last few years, yeah, to the point where he was hanging around with Baron Zemo in Avengers Undercover; I seem to recall that it was during the time that Doctor Strange had lost the title of Sorcerer Supreme but I can't recall the details.

Is Satana still good-ish? I really liked her on the Thunderbolts. :ohdear:

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

Hellstrom had a heel turn in the last few years, yeah, to the point where he was hanging around with Baron Zemo

:sigh: This is depressing on so many levels.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Lurdiak posted:

:sigh: This is depressing on so many levels.

He was just trying to get into the movie, he didn't really like Zemo.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Zemo's supposed to be a good guy too. :(

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

prefect posted:

Is Satana still good-ish? I really liked her on the Thunderbolts. :ohdear:

Near as I can tell that Thunderbolts run was the last major use of the character, so she's still in that sort of "vaguely good-leaning but still also well and truly hosed up" vein.

EDIT:

Lurdiak posted:

See, I agree with this - but the way Brubaker had Zemo turn again as a reaction to Bucky becoming Captain America was really good, and even in the Avengers Undercover series that I mentioned he was less "bleah let's conquer the world because we're evil" and more "this whole hero/villain dichotomy is bullshit." Zemo was being written with a lot of nuance on a surprisingly regular basis until Remender decided he should be a cackling baddie again.

DivineCoffeeBinge fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Jun 27, 2017

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Like his master plan in Avengers Underground wasn't kill everyone so much as "temporarily imprison the Superheroes. Then showcase to the world the crazy poo poo SHIELD has to turn public opinion against them.

(Zemo also ends up stealing a Helicarrier by the end of it. This plot thread was also ignored by Remender because the next arc is about Zemo and guys like Taskmaster and the Armidillo signing on for a plan to mass sterilise the world. WTF guys.)

My favourite part of the Avengers Underground story was when the heroes talk about how cool and old fashioned super villains are. And Zemo tells them "hey if you want to be a villain who rocks the status quo, we support you. Equally if you want to build moon bases and death lasers, we got you covered there too. You be you."

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
In the Jessica Jones Netflix series, does the guy Kilgrave tells to stand against a wall forever get to go home after Jessica sorts out Kilgrave? :ohdear:

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Wheat Loaf posted:

In the Jessica Jones Netflix series, does the guy Kilgrave tells to stand against a wall forever get to go home after Jessica sorts out Kilgrave? :ohdear:

Didn't they make it clear that the effects of his powers wore off with distance?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I don't think so, he does send Nuke after Trish.

But it wears off over time so wall guy should be fine.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Yeah, they have that specific discussion about how Kilgrave even timed it out once and deliberately let his control over Jessica lapse for thirty whole seconds, just to prove that she really did love him because she didn't immediately run away in that thirty second window.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

Lurdiak posted:

I never read him as a good guy so much as a bad guy who moved towards wanting to do good things, but still for bad reasons.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Senior Woodchuck posted:

I never read him as a good guy so much as a bad guy who moved towards wanting to do good things, but still for bad reasons.

Zemo was absolutely never a good person - he was self-centered, arrogant, manipulative, petty, all kinds of other terrible traits - but over the course of two volumes of Thunderbolts he genuinely had become a guy who was trying to do the right thing. Maybe he was trying it because he thought he was better and more capable than anyone else (there's a reason Nicieza's post-Thunderbolts mini was titled Zemo: Born Better), but he was still trying. And that made him a really interesting character, IMHO - sort of a dark parallel to Tony Stark. Stark tried to make up for his years of being a self-centered shitbag by trying to be a better human; Zemo was trying to make up for his years of being a self-centered shitbag by doing good things even if he was still a garbage human.

And then Remender decided he didn't give a poo poo about any of that, and it still makes me sad.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

So I just found out Dr. Doom is now Iron Man?

Can anyone give me quick bullet points/whether it's worth reading or not?

e: unrelated, but do comics still reference Magneto being a Holocaust survivor and just de-aged several times, or is it one of those things they phased out?

LadyPictureShow fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Jun 28, 2017

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

LadyPictureShow posted:

• At the end of Secret Wars, Doom was forced to admit that Reed was the better man and confront his basic failings as a person, then got his face back as an object lesson that things can be good too
  • Tony Stark was rendered comatose at the end of Civil War II
  • Doom respected Tony Stark
  • The combination of all the above leads to Doom deciding that A)the Iron Man legacy should not be allowed to falter and B)he should be the man to take up the mantle
  • It's really loving good
  • Read it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

LadyPictureShow posted:

It's very much worth reading in my opinion. Victor van Doom trying to be a hero is very fun.