Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
Seriously who takes that job though? Nothing good can come of it. Unless you can leverage yourself a deal to still be coach by the time they move and can spend money you might as well stay away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

Hockles posted:

Give the team a minor penalty for Delay of Game, just like you would if you tried to challenge the curve of a stick and failed.

This would be stupid as hell especially since no one knows what "goalie interference" is. It's just as bad as the NFL not knowing what a catch is.

It's pointless for sports, any sport, to adopt technological measures to get things right and then dis-incentivize or outright prevent their use.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Schremp Howard posted:

Seriously who takes that job though? Nothing good can come of it. Unless you can leverage yourself a deal to still be coach by the time they move and can spend money you might as well stay away.

why is it bad? nobody's clamoring for a stanley cup right away, there's a boatload of young prospects, the front office has been patient in the past, and uhh the weather's great when the season is going on.

this just seems like another media hitpiece on why hockey in the desert doesn't work. the biggest complaint doan could come up with was he was let go "corporately", which gets spun into some kind of ice cold snub of the highest order, and tippett gets canned and people are claiming the coaching job is toxic and at the same time wondering what took so long

Loqieu
Feb 27, 2001

Gotta give Tippet credit for those years of putting together a moderately competitive team when the NHL was the owner and the budget was tight. Especially considering the dumpster fire state the team was in when he entered as coach. 2012 was an amazing run, too bad they couldn't build on it.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Schremp Howard posted:

Phoenix isn't going anywhere.
Seattle is the only other realistic contender and the NHL will probably usher them in as an expansion.
Hope that helps.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause
But who moves to the Central if Seattle gets an expansion and the Coyotes don't leave? Here's my 5 realignment maps:

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

I believe I was promised a delicious serving of trades

whatis
Jun 6, 2012
https://twitter.com/NicholsOnHockey/status/878222442509942784

https://twitter.com/NicholsOnHockey/status/878222860908511232

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
NOOOOOOO

JEFF NO GOD PLEASE NO

NNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

*office theme song plays*

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av
Have the leafs made any good / bad / otherwise trades so far?

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
I don't think they've made any trades yet, but they allegedly might trade for Colin Miller which would piss me off since it would be a good pickup for them and I'm mad Sweeney didn't protect him.

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES

Matt Zerella posted:

NOOOOOOO

JEFF NO GOD PLEASE NO

NNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

*office theme song plays*

i mean hes a real rear end in a top hat, but he's on the last year of his contract and he's still evidently a good player so if the price was cheap enough then, ok i guess?

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Dreger is turning into such a hack.

"He's a player that other people have mentioned is available. I don't have any details about what the return is or where he's going or who's even interested but I definitely have sources telling me things and I'm certainly not making stuff up to raise my profile. No siree, no how."

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

https://twitter.com/DarrenDreger/status/878240811422425088

why do you hurt me fancycats

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

a false posted:

i mean hes a real rear end in a top hat, but he's on the last year of his contract and he's still evidently a good player so if the price was cheap enough then, ok i guess?

He's not really that great and unless we're getting rid of Staal for him (lol) I don't really see the pint unless he's willing to switch to RD.

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS
Has Holland traded AA for Marc Staal yet

whatis
Jun 6, 2012

ThinkTank posted:

Dreger is turning into such a hack.

"He's a player that other people have mentioned is available. I don't have any details about what the return is or where he's going or who's even interested but I definitely have sources telling me things and I'm certainly not making stuff up to raise my profile. No siree, no how."

he was on buffalo radio speculating about possible GM candidates the day after tim murray got fired and dave nonis was the 2nd name he mentioned. he's pretty transparently awful but he still knows people and gets good info about as much as the other guys, so it's whatever

whatis
Jun 6, 2012
http://www.startribune.com/wild-gm-chuck-fletcher-might-now-trade-defenseman/430253543/

Mentions Montreal, Tampa, Boston, Toronto, Dallas, Calgary, and Buffalo as teams that are having discussions about one of Scandella, Brodin, and Dumba

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Oilers and Russell are finalizing a deal for 4 years at $4Mish. So they downgraded from Eberle to Strome to sign a defenceman that couldn't find an NHL job until October last year. Why?

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

I cannot wait for today's biggest trade to be Marco Scandella for picks. Should be thrilling!

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
I believe the Bruins are going to move Spooner today. I have no basis for this belief I just have A Gut Feeling.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

ThinkTank posted:

Oilers and Russell are finalizing a deal for 4 years at $4Mish. So they downgraded from Eberle to Strome to sign a defenceman that couldn't find an NHL job until October last year. Why?

gm of the year

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

The Oilers play in Vegas on my and Mcdavid's birthday.

Guess I know what I'm doing!

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

Mind_Taker posted:

I cannot wait for today's biggest trade to be Marco Scandella for picks. Should be thrilling!

scandella for picks and galcheynuk*

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I just love that the Penguins won back to back Cups using speed and skill and people are still signing the Kris Russells of the world to huge deals.

Actually I guess if you watched the lovely Pens d this playoffs you might think bad dmen is the way to go.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

The Oilers play in Vegas on my and Mcdavid's birthday.

Guess I know what I'm doing!

airfare and a ticket probably cheaper than a home game

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Ginette Reno posted:

Actually I guess if you watched the lovely Pens d this playoffs you might think bad dmen is the way to go.

Counterpoint: after 2010 everyone was trying to copy the Blackhawks "bad goalie, world class defense" formula.

Then the Kings and Bruins won some cups and hosed everyone over, making all the GM's think that a BIG PHYSICAL GAME is how you win.

Can we hand off the cup between Chicago and Pittsburgh for the next 6 years so we can get 10+ years of GM's building teams that are actually fun to watch?

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

violent sex idiot posted:

Living in Toronto? Ya probably though I'll get to go to that game for free.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I think the key gripe somebody could have with the Doan situation was that he wasn't traded during the season, thus the Coyotes didn't get anything out of him. Granted there probably wasn't many takers on Doan, but hell a 7th for a pending UFA on a team that's missing the playoffs is something right?

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?

hifi posted:

why is it bad? nobody's clamoring for a stanley cup right away, there's a boatload of young prospects, the front office has been patient in the past, and uhh the weather's great when the season is going on.

this just seems like another media hitpiece on why hockey in the desert doesn't work. the biggest complaint doan could come up with was he was let go "corporately", which gets spun into some kind of ice cold snub of the highest order, and tippett gets canned and people are claiming the coaching job is toxic and at the same time wondering what took so long

They have the young guys and Chayka seems to have the right idea with an eye at the future. But ownership isn't going to put any money into the team until they know they can do something to make it, and they'll just keep playing chicken with that. They're content to take on retirement /LTIR contracts to hit the floor. How long will it take them to get their prospects to develop to a playoff caliber team? Three years? Five years? Even with ownership being patient in the past, I can't imagine a coach lasting that long. It's really a shame that they missed on all three of McDavid/Eichel/Matthews because they don't have that one specific guy to say "yeah he's going to be the face and turn us around." In short I think this next coach will help start a turnaround or lead a rebuild but won't be there to see the fruits of it.

Schlesische posted:

Phoenix isn't going anywhere.
Seattle is the only other realistic contender and the NHL will probably usher them in as an expansion.
Hope that helps.

I feel like Seattle will get an expansion team and then Quebec will get the Coyotes. Media will always go for the easy "hurrrr hockey in the desert yeah right" story, but all of the trouble they've had with city council and arena deals crumbling doesn't give me a lot of hope for them. I'd like to be wrong. That the league hasn't pulled the plug after this long when they dumped the Thrashers relatively quickly says something about the league's commitment to them.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Fact: Lou Lamoriello hates reporters

https://twitter.com/MapleLeafsHS/status/878263413352353792

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Later we learned that Lou'd been dead for weeks, and Tom Barrasso had been wearing his skin as a mask.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

a good number of the spots in our SAS Fantasy Draft have filled but we still need 12 GMs to get this bad boy started. turn the Boston Bruins into what they should have been by drafting Tyler Seguin and David Pastrnak! recapture magic by getting McDavid to the Oilers! take control of the Buffalo Sabres and wonder why you hate yourself! you can do all of this and more, so come sign up folks

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Lou is notoriously quiet about everything he does. You're lucky he even granted an interview.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I can't blame him, I hate reporters too.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

violent sex idiot posted:

The only NHL city without nonstop service to Las Vegas is Ottawa. :eng101:

whatis
Jun 6, 2012
im about to drive 7 hours to rhode island and need trades to sustain me

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
The Coyotes will stay in Arizona as long as some city or the state or whatever is willing to give them free money. The second that stops they are out the door

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

whatis posted:

im about to drive 7 hours to rhode island and need trades to sustain me

My I suggest you find an alternative means of entertainment

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

ThinkTank posted:

My I suggest you find an alternative means of entertainment

Rhode Island's not that bad.