Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BeigeJacket
Jul 21, 2005

Ponzi posted:

Check out The Owner Trilogy by Neal Asher (The Departure, Zero Point, and Jupiter War). I don't think it would be considered Cyberpunk, but it's definitely about a corporate hellhole of the future. The trilogy lead me to all Neal Asher's other books (which are unrelated).

Also the 'Altered Carbon' series by Richard Morgan.

I've read the first Altered Carbon book and it was loving ace - seriously psyched for the TV show. Heard there's a pretty steep drop off in quality in books 2/3.

I'll put Asher on the possible to read list.

Got Fallen Dragon by Hamilton on the kindle, and just read the first few pages on my commute. Promising.

Thanks for the suggestions all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jeYZDXMBdaM

#mocap #actress #notsandi

RubberJohnny
Apr 22, 2008

quote:

Why are they so bad at design?

Space Crabs
Mar 10, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
correct me if i'm wrong but the page tax was supposed to be funny/cute images of animals and not of baby animals being graphically killed and the brains being picked out of their skulls

I mean i could totally be wrong here

Dongsturm
Feb 17, 2012

RubberJohnny posted:

They are bad at everything else, why would you expect the design to be better?

Beexoffel
Oct 4, 2015

Herald of the Stimpire

BeigeJacket posted:

Croberto has no vision. There's nothing in his wretched game that isn't a shabby knock-off of one or two sci-fi franchises from 40 years ago.

Edit: Also does the thread have any recommendation for a decent sci fi novel? My flag has always firmly been planted in the cyberpunk camp, so I'm used to near future corporate hellholes with bionic implants and underdog hacker scum popping speed and contemplating their ennui. Never really got into this deep space opera stuff.

Iain Banks' sci fi novels.

Beexoffel
Oct 4, 2015

Herald of the Stimpire

BeigeJacket posted:

I tried reading one of his years ago. A large portion of it was written phonetically from the viewpoint of some AI/android thing and it was just too mental for my feeble mind to handle.

Oops, Feersum Endjinn is not a good start.
Try The Algebraist.

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

Space Crabs posted:

correct me if i'm wrong but the page tax was supposed to be funny/cute images of animals and not of baby animals being graphically killed and the brains being picked out of their skulls

4th Stimpire is leaching in to the thread

Deathsquid
Apr 26, 2017
In the last 6 years, the RSI has dominated four studios, which it has united into one devzone, CIG. The RSI has origins from the Kickstarter Development in which a bunch of hopefuls and has-beens tried to ride the nostalgia train to riches. All studios except for the RSI swore reasonable development time upon their backers. There is no financial accountability in the RSI, and all self-controlled transportation has been made illegal without undergoing painful mocap procedures, in which floors are swept in a canteen, operated entirely by interns. The way they work claim to be the most hygenic and healthy way possible, but these interns are lacking broom heads, causing uneven mocap movement of the boom stick. The mocap data is then processed and lost for 12000 human hours a week. Various marketing VPs are also being actresses with amazing body control. After the painful, 52 hour recording procedure, Imaginarium Studios installed injector into Andy Serkiss which pumps painful resistors into the body every 2 hours but also brought the company to the brink of bankruptcy. The development they have caused is so bad, the game models would freeze in a tense T-position. They would then clip through the floor afterwards.

Stimulation in any way within the grounds of the RSI is strictly prohibited, and anyone detected even touching their space jet nipples will be subjected parping around in space without a space suit. Offenders would also be forced to show their parps on youtube to soothing tunes and dulcet tones, and furthermore.

Otherwise, backers would be dazed with the worst type of development in the systematic district, causing so many jpgs, the victims would scream in delirium and elation and flail in madness all over the Reddits. The development time would also triple every second, but no 3.0 would be incurred. This is also used in combat against enemy units, which is why all whale unit forces must buy more ships to block this effect.

However, entertainment is also questionable in RSI grounds. Sporting events end with the losing team being forced to stick weapons through their heads, boxing matches end with the loser having their hands stretching out like rubber, races would end with the losers having to play the actual module on five-packs of hoverbikes with minimal FOV and amazing UI fidelity, then being injected with insanity, for entertainment, which is also forbidden. People are also forced into these events, by undergoing a painful 2-week procedure which involves waiting for RSI to update the dev schedule, which also causes features supposedly implemented a year ago to suddenly go missing. This is all for entertainment, and anyone not watching any of it during sporting times and cheering for the winning team, they will be imprisoned into galactic camps.

Weekly reports are also broadcast, and actors are actually murdering their lines just for entertainment. Stealth droids also guide these forced actors into behaving exactly as the director dreams, otherwise they will be punished by being placed into team meeting and waved hands at haphazardly. Any film that does not feature some kind of a fuckup will be burned and the entire crew behind it will be executed in the most grotesque way possible - twitter marketing duties.

All weekly reports are broadcast, and anyone who misses even a millisecond, even by blinking, will not miss much. All citizens must ignore flaws in the green screen, and the family is gathered to be injected with eternators, which cause pain forever, making them immoral but feeling the pain tenfold every millisecond. They cannot stop watching, but they will also feel pretty bored.

Forums by this RSI will be razed, and all the posts archived in the same way as their release dates are. The records are then destroyed and all remnants of it are removed, and any memories of it will be erased instantly from reddit minds. Promises are also erased from memories, and all memories of them, including toys and pictures, are destroyed.

Employees undergo weeks, not months of relentless and endless labor, and anyone not complying is sentenced to the Big Bennys refactoring. All employees injected with Bennys are placed into capsules and launched into far space, then the room is closed tight to ensure maximum insanity. Some employees are also subjected to the removal of hope, future, free time and even the dreaded mocap. Employees sentenced to Wing Commander archiving are locked in until they are inflated to a high level. The decompression is then stopped to make sure they are inflated and uncomfortable.

Thoughts are also surveyed, and anyone who does not think anything to loving the RSI with more than their capabilities will be sentenced to a ban. Prisoners who are punished for this violation will meet their greatest fear, which is getting a refund. They then invest in other amazing Kickstarters that will doubtlessly be equally successful.

The sickening truths have been revealed only today, and invigilation teams are still investigating the truths without setting foot in the office space of this sickening company.

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004
life is short - play hard

Deathsquid posted:

In the last 6 years, the RSI has dominated four studios, which it has united into one devzone, CIG. The RSI has origins from the Kickstarter Development in which a bunch of hopefuls and has-beens tried to ride the nostalgia train to riches. All studios except for the RSI swore reasonable development time upon their backers. There is no financial accountability in the RSI, and all self-controlled transportation has been made illegal without undergoing painful mocap procedures, in which floors are swept in a canteen, operated entirely by interns. The way they work claim to be the most hygenic and healthy way possible, but these interns are lacking broom heads, causing uneven mocap movement of the boom stick. The mocap data is then processed and lost for 12000 human hours a week. Various marketing VPs are also being actresses with amazing body control. After the painful, 52 hour recording procedure, Imaginarium Studios installed injector into Andy Serkiss which pumps painful resistors into the body every 2 hours but also brought the company to the brink of bankruptcy. The development they have caused is so bad, the game models would freeze in a tense T-position. They would then clip through the floor afterwards.

Stimulation in any way within the grounds of the RSI is strictly prohibited, and anyone detected even touching their space jet nipples will be subjected parping around in space without a space suit. Offenders would also be forced to show their parps on youtube to soothing tunes and dulcet tones, and furthermore.

Otherwise, backers would be dazed with the worst type of development in the systematic district, causing so many jpgs, the victims would scream in delirium and elation and flail in madness all over the Reddits. The development time would also triple every second, but no 3.0 would be incurred. This is also used in combat against enemy units, which is why all whale unit forces must buy more ships to block this effect.

However, entertainment is also questionable in RSI grounds. Sporting events end with the losing team being forced to stick weapons through their heads, boxing matches end with the loser having their hands stretching out like rubber, races would end with the losers having to play the actual module on five-packs of hoverbikes with minimal FOV and amazing UI fidelity, then being injected with insanity, for entertainment, which is also forbidden. People are also forced into these events, by undergoing a painful 2-week procedure which involves waiting for RSI to update the dev schedule, which also causes features supposedly implemented a year ago to suddenly go missing. This is all for entertainment, and anyone not watching any of it during sporting times and cheering for the winning team, they will be imprisoned into galactic camps.

Weekly reports are also broadcast, and actors are actually murdering their lines just for entertainment. Stealth droids also guide these forced actors into behaving exactly as the director dreams, otherwise they will be punished by being placed into team meeting and waved hands at haphazardly. Any film that does not feature some kind of a fuckup will be burned and the entire crew behind it will be executed in the most grotesque way possible - twitter marketing duties.

All weekly reports are broadcast, and anyone who misses even a millisecond, even by blinking, will not miss much. All citizens must ignore flaws in the green screen, and the family is gathered to be injected with eternators, which cause pain forever, making them immoral but feeling the pain tenfold every millisecond. They cannot stop watching, but they will also feel pretty bored.

Forums by this RSI will be razed, and all the posts archived in the same way as their release dates are. The records are then destroyed and all remnants of it are removed, and any memories of it will be erased instantly from reddit minds. Promises are also erased from memories, and all memories of them, including toys and pictures, are destroyed.

Employees undergo weeks, not months of relentless and endless labor, and anyone not complying is sentenced to the Big Bennys refactoring. All employees injected with Bennys are placed into capsules and launched into far space, then the room is closed tight to ensure maximum insanity. Some employees are also subjected to the removal of hope, future, free time and even the dreaded mocap. Employees sentenced to Wing Commander archiving are locked in until they are inflated to a high level. The decompression is then stopped to make sure they are inflated and uncomfortable.

Thoughts are also surveyed, and anyone who does not think anything to loving the RSI with more than their capabilities will be sentenced to a ban. Prisoners who are punished for this violation will meet their greatest fear, which is getting a refund. They then invest in other amazing Kickstarters that will doubtlessly be equally successful.

The sickening truths have been revealed only today, and invigilation teams are still investigating the truths without setting foot in the office space of this sickening company.

:golfclap::yarg::lol:

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Foglet posted:

You could even say it's...

...a CULT classic

Oh! :golfclap:

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Space Crabs posted:

This would be nice. :(

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer
how did people buy a quarter of a million dollars worth of space bikes

what the gently caress is going on anymore with the world

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

TheAgent posted:

In this post-Escalator world anything is possible my friend

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer
like I know there's something going on because there's a dozen+ reddit threads talking about the nox and how cool it is and what weapons it has and how amazing it will be, when the last ship sales were locked into one or two threads

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OcCRZkeqFY8

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

TheAgent posted:

like I know there's something going on because there's a dozen+ reddit threads talking about the nox and how cool it is and what weapons it has and how amazing it will be, when the last ship sales were locked into one or two threads

Guerrilla marketing is strong

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

Awww.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Wait, I thought the funding tracker was bogus?

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

TheAgent posted:

astroturfing, dude.

Nanako the Narc
Sep 6, 2011

The Titanic posted:

I'll hope for the best, but yes. Last I heard about BG&E2 was some kind of desert level and the pig guy had a broken car or something. Had nothing at all to do about space ships and cussing monkeys.

This new iteration could get canned again before it goes anywhere. That's the breaks! That's also what happens when a project has oversight. If it looks like it's not actually going to make it, it gets axed and they regroup and try something different.

The alternative with zero oversight is Star Citizen and Sq42.

Not to sound too much like a blind "this time things will be different!" hopeful, but if I remember right the first BG&E2 trailer (the desert one) was just a teaser tacked on to the end of Ubisoft's E3 trailer with no other explanation given other "teehee, we're working on this!". The 2017 E3 trailer, by comparison, made a big song and dance about how they're finally working on this game, and how they've wanted to do it for so long and Ubisoft's exec went so far as to say that they're fully backing the game (which means literally nothing considering its Ubisoft). They then followed this on with the vids that they've shown and the program to get beta testers in which indicates at least some level of commitment to making it.

Again, it could all be cancelled by this time next year, but there's a bit more of a reason to believe this is actually being worked on.

If this is true, then loving lol; I totally believe some newbie joining the company, asking if a ship looks dated and CR being within earshot and demanding a perfectly functional ship be redone, while all the other employees stare daggers at the oblivious newbie.

quote:

ferrets

Oh my god, that's too cute, I wish I had one myself (though I hear they smell funky).

boviscopophobic
Feb 5, 2016

TheAgent posted:

They bought way more than that. The tracker says: checkmate, goonie!

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development

boviscopophobic posted:

They bought way more than that. The tracker says: checkmate, goonie!

LTI tokens still sell well, even with the new $5 upgrade tax. It's an investment for the future!!

:laffo:

:tif:

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

RubberJohnny posted:

Because they don't have to be good.

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer

It's snow joke

:smuggo:

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

When did they show working snow ?

That's only snow version 1

Wait until snow 2.0 if you want it to be included in a patch

Also snow 3.0 will be the big winner , it will have crunch physics and snow ball making

Sataball is back in hypeeeee

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Real Canadians don't have trouble walking in a foot of snow, jfc.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

boviscopophobic posted:

I'm telling you guys, never underestimate whale stupidity goodwill. Not even clamping down on CCU futures speculation can derail the 3.0 hype train. CIG will stay solvent at least until the MVP.

This is definitely because Spergs are hoping to "race" these on their small moons. Some are going to use it as cheap LTI tokens ($45).

Regardless, the sales aren't going to be enough to make a dent in their $3m+ per month burn rate.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Real Canadians don't have trouble walking in a foot of snow, jfc.

I have a team of highly trained moose that pull me

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

D_Smart posted:

This is definitely because Spergs are hoping to "race" these on their small moons. Some are going to use it as cheap LTI tokens ($45).

Regardless, the sales aren't going to be enough to make a dent in their $3m+ per month burn rate.

I think I saw it mentioned earlier, but it's funny they're selling a bunch of terrible ground vehicles for a game in which you have a spaceship that will just go wherever you want it to go. Even in Elite half the time there's no point in dropping a rover until you're right on whatever thing it is you want to go down and look at. I can't wait to see what CIG does to make using this $45 space horse mandatory on planets lol.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Sappo569 posted:

I have a team of highly trained moose that pull me

Accurate

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

Dream Factory
Grimey Drawer
More snow chat and exciting snow link

https://youtu.be/STwVI6_xWqc?t=5m1s

his nibs fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Jun 23, 2017

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

The fools, snow has already been in the game for years.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

his nibs posted:

Footprints and snow! Something even Goldeneye for the N64 had.

FIDELITY!

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

Dream Factory
Grimey Drawer

Roflan
Nov 25, 2007

I know this is an hour long and 'only' part 1 of 3. But if you had better things to do you wouldn't be reading this thread and the other two parts won't be relevant to SC, as they talk about how they turned FFXIV around into a success.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xs0yQKI7Yw4

Count how many times you could imagine them talking about Star Citizen or certain people working for CIG...

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

his nibs posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Tqeg4h5v5s&t=546s

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Footprints and snow! Something even Goldeneye for the N64 had.

FIDELITY!

I still remember the first time a guard stopped and said "Whose footprints are these?" in Metal Gear Solid, and I realised there was more to sneaking in this game than just breaking line of sight. But I guess MGS was on a filthy console, so Chris wouldn't know about it.

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

PlayerUnknown Battlegrounds took 18 months to make: PCGamer: "From modder to pro, the making of PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds, and the 'poison pill' of Early Access."

Obviously doesn't know anything about game development.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZenMaster
Jan 24, 2006

I Saved PC Gaming

Daztek posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M8IguhQqhAg

BGE2 making GBS threads all over Star Citizen lol.

It was nice to have the visual in that video of the SC backer in the lower right waiting for SC to release.