Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

WirelessPillow posted:

What kind of methods would this guy have used to make the shot? 128x scope? space camera? purely based on information?

He was actually a champion darts player and just threw the bullet really, really hard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I'm fairly sure the position gets relayed to them. Factor in some ridiculous scope tech and you've got a possibility.

Serves the guy right for not AD strafing though right?

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

Does this confirm we're getting space cameras in game for kill streaks?

benzine
Oct 21, 2010
Speaking of long kills, here is Grimmz's 900m kill.

https://clips.twitch.tv/CheerfulHealthyKleeYouWHY

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.
The thing I like about Grimmmz and Anthony Kongphan is they both seem generally to be enjoying themselves and shocked when they make some of the crazy shots they make.

succ
Nov 11, 2016

by Cyrano4747
The thrill of the early and late game is unmatched for me. But the midgame is awful. People are still looting or waiting for the circle to get smaller. I'm not sure how they can fix this or speed up the midgame.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

succ posted:

The thrill of the early and late game is unmatched for me. But the midgame is awful. People are still looting or waiting for the circle to get smaller. I'm not sure how they can fix this or speed up the midgame.

More crate drops and other new random events?

GO FUCK YOURSELF
Aug 19, 2004

"I say to you, love your enemies, bless those who beat you, and pray for them to beat the shit out of the Buckeyes" - The Book of Witten

Captain Gordon posted:

I guess but i never had an issue with misidentifying enemy and allied footsteps due to big blue allied markers and having a good headset, so it feels like a niche problem to me. But if it works for you, that's great man!

edit: i don't think that barefoot steps are inherently quieter, however.

The footsteps are a big issue when you're first dropping or in high traffic areas like Hospital or Crater, much less School or Apartments. Because you could have your team and the enemy on multiple floors with multiple entry and exit points, the footsteps are equally, if not more important than the bouncing icons on your HUD. Knowing that your teammate is on the third floor is helpful but if there's clomping of boots above you and you're all barefoot, you know you have a target. It's not that we're all incapable of doing the math and figuring it out, it's that it's an easy way to help yourself.

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Everything's coming up explodey!

Pillbug

benzine posted:

Speaking of long kills, here is Grimmz's 900m kill.

https://clips.twitch.tv/CheerfulHealthyKleeYouWHY

Disgusting.

Played a solo run, found an 8x scope and an AKM, was wandering around looking for other stuff, and a crate dropped right near me. Got a Tommy gun, which was cool (wanted a sniper/suppressor, really) then went into a seemingly untouched building (one of the octagonal towers), went into the little side room on the top floor without checking my corners, shotgun to the skull. The plunkbat giveth, the plunkbat taketh away.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Yodzilla posted:

More crate drops and other new random events?

Two planes of each 75 players dropping for even more players.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

succ posted:

Go hunt people down.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Drivers being able to wield pistols.

Grimwall
Dec 11, 2006

Product of Schizophrenia
25X and a spotter with a shot calculator that takes into account the wind, bullet drop, earth's rotation and curve. Also general Canadianness.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

succ posted:

But the midgame is awful

This hasn't been my experience at all, every part of the game is awesome if you want it to be, and every part of the game is boring if you let it.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

Nevvy Z posted:

Drivers being able to wield pistols.

The best part about duo/squad games is drive bys and gunfights between speeding cars.

Duckaerobics
Jul 22, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
This PC gamer article has an interesting interview with Player Unknown. He says he was very against early access and calls it a "poison pill", but was convinced to try it for testing reasons.He also says they plan to have the full release out this fall.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

CascadeBeta posted:

The best part about duo/squad games is drive bys and gunfights between speeding carsBOATS.

loving wish I had remembered to shadowplay this.

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

Water strat checks out.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

WAR CRIME SYNDICAT posted:

The thing I like about Grimmmz and Anthony Kongphan is they both seem generally to be enjoying themselves and shocked when they make some of the crazy shots they make.

Grimmmz also legitimately won a game using only a pistol and crossbow last night as well. He can click fast enough that it's practically like a micro uzi anyway.

Also, Grimmmz himself confirmed the "900+ meter shot" was actually only 827 by the game's measurements but he had to set the zeroing on the scope to 900m to hit it. Kind of makes me wonder if that distance stat in game considers height differential since he was up on top of the giant hill shooting at someone at sea level.

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

My only complaint about Grimmmz is I wish he streamed earlier for east coasters. Watching him is great - he's one of the most aggressive streamers, especially compared to guys like Chapie who like to spend the first half of the game just looting it seems.

Plasmafountain
Jun 17, 2008

Managed to land far away from everyone else and get tooled up with level 2 gear and level 3 body armour; M16 and joy of joys a motorbike.

Get on motorbike and high-tail it to the church, I'm far enough away that I can see 3 guys converging on it from different directions and immediately think JACKPOT

Jump off the bike

die from combined fire of three guys while sobbing that gun doesnt work

forgot to turn from semi to full auto

fffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffuuu

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

No Safe Word posted:

Grimmmz also legitimately won a game using only a pistol and crossbow last night as well. He can click fast enough that it's practically like a micro uzi anyway.

If they ever add a bandana I will win a game using just a m1911 and slap the snake eater/peace walker osts all over the video.

CascadeBeta fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Jun 23, 2017

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

Even robots have feelings!

Zero Gravitas posted:

Managed to land far away from everyone else and get tooled up with level 2 gear and level 3 body armour; M16 and joy of joys a motorbike.

Get on motorbike and high-tail it to the church, I'm far enough away that I can see 3 guys converging on it from different directions and immediately think JACKPOT

Jump off the bike

I was in a duo with a friend new to the game and explicitly warned them to check for auto. I then immediately got into a fight and died because my uzi was single shot. My next wise guy idea was to throw a handbrake turn and flipped the buggy we had for literally 15 seconds into a ditch. I am bad at this game but that's partly why it's fun.

I stand by my excuse of "I do better in solo :colbert:"

Truth Quark
Mar 21, 2010

:ffg:
EAT THE DONUTS
:ffg:

Zero Gravitas posted:

Jump off the bike

I got bad news for you friend, you would've had a bit of trouble trying to set that M16 to full auto.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Babe Magnet posted:

so this is kinda cool

canadian soldier drops an isis militant from over two miles away, breaking the previous longest distance for a confirmed sniper kill

someone went and visualized this with pubg's map for shits and giggles:

time to step your game up lads

Players stop rendering at 1km I believe. I hit a guy from Pochinki church who was on the hill south of Rhozok with an 8x Kar. He then back peddled a few steps and unrendered but his guns were still floating in that spot.

Plasmafountain
Jun 17, 2008

Welp, burst fire then.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
If you mash burstfire it's faster than most auto guns (maybe all of them?). m16a4 is pretty strong in the early game for that, though you're going to dump almost a full mag any time you run into someone.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747
Is there a generally accepted rifle tier list? For lack of a better word.

I tend to favor them like: SCAR-L > M4 = AKM > M16. I don't know if the M16 is actually the worst though.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

The M16 is an rear end gun that poops bullets

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another
You can check out the stats on pubg.me and decide for yourself. But lets be real here, the M4 is the best rifle because it has the most slots for attachments, and every time you fill a new slot you feel like you have levelled up your gun.

I usually stick to a SCAR or M4 if I find it but that's because they just work well generally at most ranges. I don't like the burst fire mode on the m16 and the AKM's recoil really throws me off.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
M16 is really good with no attachments, especially at longer ranges, I tend to avoid it unless I have a secondary close range weapon though because of the lack of full auto.

I really hate the AKM's recoil so for me it's M4/Scar -> M16 -> AKM, though if I don't have something else full auto I'll take the AKM over M16. I can't really tell which I like better between M4/Scar when they both have full attachments, they feel very similar.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

CascadeBeta posted:

If they ever add a bandana I will win a game using just a m1911 and slap the snake eater/peace walker osts all over the video.

I got 4-5 kills in one game with a totally stock 1911, that thing is a killing machine.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
M16 is basically a 30 round sks standin if you find an 8x but no sniper rifle.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

Chard posted:

The VSS is an rear end gun that poops bullets

There we go.

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!

VulgarandStupid posted:

Players stop rendering at 1km I believe. I hit a guy from Pochinki church who was on the hill south of Rhozok with an 8x Kar. He then back peddled a few steps and unrendered but his guns were still floating in that spot.

Is this related to the draw distance setting or no?

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Mauser posted:

Is this related to the draw distance setting or no?

Mine was on Ultra, so at least we know what the top end is. I can ask Ahnold what his was, he was there with me.

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr
What all does draw distance effect? Obviously not terrain, as the whole island is visible. So what should I expect pop in on? Players, buildings, rocks, foliage?

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
I was listening to the Giant Beastcast today and apparently when they had PlayerUnknown on their interview show at E3, one of the guys gave him directions to the bathroom without realizing who it was. Then when they figured it out they all geeked out over it like they had met a big celebrity. Thought that was pretty :3:

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

CascadeBeta posted:

Is there a generally accepted rifle tier list? For lack of a better word.

I tend to favor them like: SCAR-L > M4 = AKM > M16. I don't know if the M16 is actually the worst though.

As mentioned you can check stats at pubg.me, but the rifles are actually pretty balanced at the moment and the "best" probably depends a lot on personal preference and what you've got as a secondary weapon/available attachments. Of the 5.56 guns the SCAR is likely "best" all around due to solid base stats and having full auto and pairs well with everything, though a fully kitted M4 is maybe narrowly narrowly better with all attachments but it's quite difficult to discern differences between the two and in general the M4 seems to work better if it's treated as a shorter ranged SMG-but-more-flexible secondary to a longer ranged rifle. Conversely, the M16 works super well for long ranged plinking due to bullet speed and pairs well with something like a full auto SMG for close range encounters.

The AKM differs from the other rifles but works fine at most ranges- if you can handle the recoil it does a boatload of damage at close range, and if you can deal with the slower bullet speed it works quite well as a marksman rifle in the absence of a sniper rifle, and if you can't deal with either it's probably inferior to any of the 5.56 guns.

I think your impression is pretty similar to the overall "consensus", but imo at this point it really is a matter of personal choice (though the M16 could maybe use a small buff- hopefully without returning it to the "god gun" tier it was a couple patches ago).

LGD fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Jun 23, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

look mother look at ME MOTHER MOTHER I AM A HOMESTIXK NOW

**methodically removes and eats own clothes*
my game crashed when there was 2 left & I had circle :(

• Locked thread