Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is going to be your favorite offseason storyline?
This poll is closed.
The Big3 Tourney 67 22.41%
Will Lakers draft Ball 40 13.38%
Where will the Pauls go 54 18.06%
Will LeBron jump ship to the Spurs or ?? 41 13.71%
Will every team in the league just pivot towards tanking 97 32.44%
Total: 210 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Dexo posted:

Fair enough. The difference is this FO then sabotaged, pushed out and insulted the coach that managed to do it 3 of those 4 times.

Then traded their best player in years to the same guy for pennies on the dollar

GarPax exhibit classic signs of dementia

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Still playing catchup post-draft: Is there any reason to hope that Monk could spend time at the point? That's obviously where he'd be best defensively but he doesn't seem ready to run the show even in spot minutes.

Once he gets up to speed a Monk/Lamb/Batum/Frank/Zeller second unit with Nic as the primary ballhandler could be really fun but would turn the ball over like mad

MourningView posted:

It sucks that Utah rebuilt about as well as they possibly could have and it's going to fall apart because of lovely injury luck and another team in the conference catching a bunch of breaks to build the best team of all time.

Yeah, it really sucks to see. On the plus side, there are worse pieces to do a soft rebuild around than Gobert

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr
If the Bulls are going all in on a rebuild, it is clear GarPax will be given the latitude to see it through. So there is no escape from this ride for the next 3 or 4 years.

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

How is this going to work with the cap dropping $8M? The word I heard was the cap drop would make it tough to sign two max guys but I'm not nearly in tune to all the logistics of this as some of the folk around here so feel free to make me look like an idiot.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

morestuff posted:

Still playing catchup post-draft: Is there any reason to hope that Monk could spend time at the point? That's obviously where he'd be best defensively but he doesn't seem ready to run the show even in spot minutes.

Once he gets up to speed a Monk/Lamb/Batum/Frank/Zeller second unit with Nic as the primary ballhandler could be really fun but would turn the ball over like mad

If Monk wasn't on the small side I don't think anyone would ever talk about him as a potential point guard. He doesn't play like one at all. Kentucky runs kind of a dumb offense so maybe there's something there he didn't get to show, but I don't see it

boxcarhobo
Jun 23, 2005

morestuff posted:

Yeah, it really sucks to see. On the plus side, there are worse pieces to do a soft rebuild around than Gobert

he didnt really run point at all at kentucky what with their offense and Fox running PG, so he could maybe evolve into that if they really push for it but it would take a lot of effort

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

SAC indeed

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

zoux posted:

SAC indeed

The NOLA one looks kinda, uh, back-to-front

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

zoux posted:

SAC indeed

My personal identity is ties to these Bulls underwear

paternity suitor
Aug 2, 2016

So is the assumption that Lavine just won't be the same? It's weird that last I paid attention to him pre injury it seemed like everyone was in love with him and the sky was the limit. Now I keep hearing he's at best a 3rd best player on a good team complimentary guy.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

paternity suitor posted:

So is the assumption that Lavine just won't be the same? It's weird that last I paid attention to him pre injury it seemed like everyone was in love with him and the sky was the limit. Now I keep hearing he's at best a 3rd best player on a good team complimentary guy.

He was never going to be more than at best a 3rd player, even when healthy. His lack of defense is a real problem.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

paternity suitor posted:

LaVine is good but after an ACL when that guy's entire game was based off of his athleticism it's a crapshoot.

Rose tore his ACL lost that explosive First Step which means he lost his ability to generate space and height on his jumps on shots too

Not saying it's impossible to come back from an ACL injury however it's still a crap shoot that shouldn't be the centerpiece of a trade of All Pro Player

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Lavine is substantially less good than Jimmy Buckets, and is injured.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Dexo posted:

My personal identity is ties to these Bulls underwear

Never realized how cock and balls the Spurs logo could look until I saw it on the underwear.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM

MourningView posted:

It sucks that Utah rebuilt about as well as they possibly could have and it's going to fall apart because of lovely injury luck and another team in the conference catching a bunch of breaks to build the best team of all time.

I don't think they rebuilt very well at all. If you start the rebuild clock at 2010, they've drafted Hayward, Kanter, Burks, Burke, Gobert, Exum, Hood, Lyles and Prince. And they've made very few good trades or FA pickups (Ingles, Whithey, Hill, and Booker come to mind, and Hill is likely to sign elsewhere).

They struck gold with Gobert, but if they hadn't I don't think they would've made the playoffs last season. I would put their FO in the bottom third of the league for sure.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

He is also a year and a half of game time(returns halfway through this year, and all of next year) before you have to offer him the max(and if he doesn't get paid the max whoo boy have you hosed this trade even worse than anyone could have imagined.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

I don't think they rebuilt very well at all. If you start the rebuild clock at 2010, they've drafted Hayward, Kanter, Burks, Burke, Gobert, Exum, Hood, Lyles and Prince. And they've had very few good trades or FA pickups (Ingles, Whithey, Hill, and Booker come to mind, and Hill is likely to sign elsewhere).

They struck gold with Gobert, but if they hadn't I don't think they would've made the playoffs last season. I would put their FO in the bottom third of the league for sure.

I think you need to take a look again at the Front Offices in the NBA. There's at least 12 off the top of my head that are way worse than the Jazz even in their darkest times.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Monk showed flashes of ball handling skills at Kentuckistan, but Fox ran the show because that was how Cal coached it

It will take some time for Monk to become a combo guard at least

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

pretty much the only teams in the past decade that had any actual rebuilding plan besides "get lucky" were philly and i guess boston

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
So I guess Portland couldn't move any salary with their picks and just said gently caress it and drafted whoever they wanted? I dunno what the plan is now to shed salary.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

If anyone wants jahlil okafor you can probably have him for pick from another sport . Like a 6th round NFL pick

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch
The Heat kinda sucked last night

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

I hate Chicago radio amd media. A host Matt Speigel said Jimmy will be the second or third best player on the wolves.

Unless KAT takes a gigantic step lmaoooo. And the Wiggins assertion is loving insane.

We clearly don't deserve good things.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/TheWilderThings/status/878261969916055553

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Dexo posted:

I hate Chicago radio amd media. A host Matt Speigel said Jimmy will be the second or third best player on the wolves.

Unless KAT takes a gigantic step lmaoooo. And the Wiggins assertion is loving insane.

We clearly don't deserve good things.

I mean "hot take" is a term that is derived from sports call in shows.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

He continued having fun as he introduced a song called “Under That Hood,” about the shooting of Trayvon Martin.

“This song is about a tragedy that happened in Florida,” Dolan said to the crowd, which had grown to fill about half the room. He stopped smiling as he addressed the matter but started smiling again later when he held up some strange-looking tube instrument. “And I get to play this thing!”

hahahah

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Man the bulls could be the worst team in the league next year .

Sucks that they made a west team better from the balance pov.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

euphronius posted:

Man the bulls could be the worst team in the league next year .

Sucks that they made a west team better from the balance pov.

Unless the Nets do something in FA they'll be battling with the Bulls for worst team for sure

Nets will probably be worse but at least there will be hope and joy for that team

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Cool Buff Man posted:

Unless the Nets do something in FA they'll be battling with the Bulls for worst team for sure

Nets will probably be worse but at least there will be hope and joy for that team

The Nets GM has actually made some pretty good decisions and seems competent, after being handed a completely lovely hand.

Bulls traded a 2nd rounder, Taj Gibson, and McDermott, for 3 garbage loving players.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Depends on the injuries yeah.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Nets getting a lotto talent (only 21!) is pretty amazing front officing

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Dexo posted:

The Nets GM has actually made some pretty good decisions and seems competent, after being handed a completely lovely hand.

Bulls traded a 2nd rounder, Taj Gibson, and McDermott, for 3 garbage loving players.

Jarrett Allen was the only Longhorn in the draft and I was kind of sad to see him go to the Nets but this makes me feel better.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Dexo posted:

Yeah I mean if I'm gonna watch a young (if you can consider Dunn young) point guard struggle for a year I'd rather watch D'Angelo

Nets will be fine in a few years, their FO is doing good stuff

Space Camp fuckup
Aug 2, 2003

I'm thrilled about the Suns core moving forward. Booker/Jackson/Chriss/Bender could be really fun in a couple years. Jackson should be a good fit next to Booker and cover some of his defensive issues.

I still cannot believe the Bulls sold Jordan Bell to GSW lol

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

I don't think they rebuilt very well at all. If you start the rebuild clock at 2010, they've drafted Hayward, Kanter, Burks, Burke, Gobert, Exum, Hood, Lyles and Prince. And they've made very few good trades or FA pickups (Ingles, Whithey, Hill, and Booker come to mind, and Hill is likely to sign elsewhere).

Yes if you handwave away the best thing they did and pretend it didn't count I guess they didn't do that well.

They've missed on lottery picks (aside from Hayward, who has been a ridiculous value relative to where they drafted him) but made up for it by being really good later in the first round. Hood was great value where they got him and Gobert is one of the most valuable players in the league. They also did a great job moving early on Williams and turning him into a excellent young player in Favors who has been derailed by bad injury luck the last two years. They went outside the box to hire one of the best coaches in the league. Hill was basically the perfect fit for their roster but couldn't stay healthy.

They won 50 games last year despite having some of the worst injury luck in the league. They played like a Top 3-4 team when everyone was healthy. If the Warriors didn't exist and they'd been healthy they would have been title contenders and probably have a much better chance of keeping Hill and Hayward.

Yes there were some missed opportunities. Not everyone hits every draft pick and it's basically impossible to get a free agent to Utah. On the whole they did really really well and it's gonna fall apart without ever getting a chance to see what it could have been with some better luck on the injury front. That sucks.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Space Camp fuckup posted:

I'm thrilled about the Suns core moving forward. Booker/Jackson/Chriss/Bender could be really fun in a couple years. Jackson should be a good fit next to Booker and cover some of his defensive issues.

I still cannot believe the Bulls sold Jordan Bell to GSW lol

Really excited to watch the Suns next year. I see Jackson eventually being more of a leader than Booker because of their vastly different personalities and I think they're going to be a much more intense team on D

https://twitter.com/KevinOConnorNBA/status/878269645773348865

I also wonder this, Kev

Cool Buff Man fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Jun 23, 2017

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Cool Buff Man posted:

Really excited to watch the Suns next year. I see Jackson eventually being more of a leader than Booker because of their vastly different personalities and I think they're going to be a much more intense team on D

I dunno. Chriss is a foul monster and Booker blows on D. I didn't even get to watch Bender play last year because he sucked or was injured. Jackson's probably going to go through growing pains on offense too. I wouldn't be surprised if they're a bottom picking team again next year.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Dolan not giving a poo poo about the Knicks seems like a pretty great development. He cared a ton when Isaiah was running things.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Doltos posted:

I dunno. Chriss is a foul monster and Booker blows on D. I didn't even get to watch Bender play last year because he sucked or was injured. Jackson's probably going to go through growing pains on offense too. I wouldn't be surprised if they're a bottom picking team again next year.

Oh I don't think they'll be good at all, I agree, but I think it's going to be very fun watching Jackson beasting on defense and hopefully Booker becoming more efficient

I just like watching the Suns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Camp fuckup
Aug 2, 2003

Doltos posted:

Chriss got better at avoiding fouls as the season progressed, hopefully that continues. Bender is still a question mark for sure - Watson didn't play him much but if he puts on some weight he should see more time. He's still younger than like half the guys that got drafted last night.

• Locked thread