Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

SKULL.GIF posted:

WAR and DRK sucking doesn't make PLD overpowered.

I look forward to your buffs.

Yeah, I'd much rather see the other tanks get buffed than paladin get nerfed, but given that it looks like they're trying really hard to reduce tank dps, I wouldn't be surprised at the latter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ryanbomber
Sep 27, 2004

Emergency Tactics doesn't increase your healing because you are not mitigating more damage with it. A 300 heal and a 300 shield mitigates the same amount of damage as a 600 heal (if anything, it's worse because the shield component ignores max HP). The only time it's really useful is if you want to Adlo twice in a row for some reason (good luck with that after the Adlo nerf), you're running with another Scholar and think that your Galvanizes will trip over each other, or there is a mechanic that actually cares about HP total.

also the cooldown was always 30s :v:

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

It seems like Light Party Challenge Mode is megapulling everything between the first and second boss in the level 70 story dungeon. If you can successfully avoid a wipe while doing this you probably deserve an achievement of some sort. Failing doesn't necessarily mean you are bad because that pull is legit hard if you grab everything, but don't try it if you don't have a lot of faith in your group.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

hobbesmaster posted:

Adlos cost 1800MP and aetherflow was nerfed. SCHs cannot sustain that healing throughput.

To emphasize: aetherflow returns less MP than an adlo. Emergency tactics-> adlos will run you dry fast. Energy drain actually makes matters worse because you're giving up a free heal to recover less mana than the equivalent physicks, let alone adlos.

I've done all the content so I don't actually know what you mean by that. If you mean they can't sustain it forever and ever then yes, they can't. They can more than sustain it throughout the entirety of any dungeon or boss fight though. If you're going "Well, you can't use EM on cooldown every single time" then you're right but you don't need to. You have multiple healing options and using the right one for the right situation gives you an incredible amount of sustain. It's a lot more work than it was in HW and there are areas that can (and probably will) rightly get buffed but with smart management you're not actually going to run completely dry.

Like the "It's IMPOSSIBLE to heal as a Scholar, you literally can't do it" poo poo is dumb. The class probably needs a buff but I've done every dungeon in the game, including megapulls, and not run dry and I'm not Pro Tier Unstoppable Scholarman.

Ryanbomber posted:

Emergency Tactics doesn't increase your healing because you are not mitigating more damage with it. A 300 heal and a 300 shield mitigates the same amount of damage as a 600 heal (if anything, it's worse because the shield component ignores max HP). The only time it's really useful is if you want to Adlo twice in a row for some reason (good luck with that after the Adlo nerf), you're running with another Scholar and think that your Galvanizes will trip over each other, or there is a mechanic that actually cares about HP total.

also the cooldown was always 30s :v:

I am assuming that you are keeping your shields up and working around that, yes. If you're not doing that as a Scholar then you're already doing something wrong. Again, I am not saying "using EM on every cooldown" because that's silly. It is however a way to replenish HP when you're low on other options which a lot of people overlook.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Jun 23, 2017

Phayray
Feb 16, 2004

ImpAtom posted:

I've done all the content so I don't actually know what you mean by that. If you mean they can't sustain it forever and ever then yes, they can't. They can more than sustain it throughout the entirety of any dungeon or boss fight though. If you're going "Well, you can't use EM on cooldown every single time" then you're right but you don't need to. You have multiple healing options and using the right one for the right situation gives you an incredible amount of sustain. It's a lot more work than it was in HW and there are areas that can (and probably will) rightly get buffed but with smart management you're not actually going to run completely dry.

Like the "It's IMPOSSIBLE to heal as a Scholar, you literally can't do it" poo poo is dumb. The class probably needs a buff but I've done every dungeon in the game, including megapulls, and not run dry and I'm not Pro Tier Unstoppable Scholarman.

Yeah also playing SCH and all this doomsaying/"SCH is so bad now"/"just bring AST/WHM" is confusing. Do these people just not know how to play SCH? I'm almost done with the SB story and while healing is more demanding, at no point have I felt like I couldn't keep up. We're doing it on-tier and there's more damage so you've got to adjust a little. I can still DPS during big dungeon pulls fine, I just have to manage my cooldowns differently than HW.

Phayray fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Jun 23, 2017

Philonius
Jun 12, 2005

xeria posted:

Things seemed okay in the first couple SB dungeons (I was even able to multi-pull trash packs in the lv63 dungeon with no real health concerns), but stuff has gotten real dicey for me in the lv65/lv67 dungeons, to the point where I asked one of my healer buddies if something happened with SCH healing throughput in SB because each time I did 65 and 67 dungeons, I had a SCH healer and it genuinely felt like they just could not keep up with the damage output on either trash packs or bosses.

Perhaps these are actually summoners, who thought queueing as a scholar was a smart way to skip to the front of the line, but have no experience healing.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

I'm fondly remembering all of the pre-expansion doom and gloom from the progression WHM community.

Philonius posted:

Perhaps these are actually summoners, who thought queueing as a scholar was a smart way to skip to the front of the line, but have no experience healing.

I think you might be onto something here.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

That's because the same throughput is significantly easier as AST and WHM. WHM deal more damage too.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I'm looking forward to the changes the first major patch might bring. I'm curious about what sort of job changes it'll have, as it will definitely color the stance SE is taking on the holy trinity philosophy.

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

Dedicated Scholar healing is fine, especially if you bring out Eos (ugh), but it isn't particularly fun in dungeons compared to the other healers. Numbers are mostly fine, it's just the abilities we have are the as well suited to dungeon speed clears as they're other healers anymore.

But man, making Emergency Tactics the hill to die on is pretty strange.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

All tanks should do as much damage as DPS because it's fun and more people would play em. gently caress nerfing tanks. Nobody does anything if there's no tanks so make them badass as hell

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

hobbesmaster posted:

That's because the same throughput is significantly easier as AST and WHM. WHM deal more damage too.

That is not the same as "Scholars literally can not do it, it's impossible" though. I've no doubts that WHM is easier and deals more personal damage. (Though Scholar getting Chain Strategium is very nice in trials and in boss fights.) However there's a difference between "it's easier" and "It can't be done." Scholar involves a lot of meter management and direct pet control but I also feel that is what Scholar should be. I don't argue it needs a buff (probably to Bane) but buffing it also could very very easily push it into the territory of "too good at everything" even if it's mechanically harder than the other two. I don't think its healing needs a buff at all, though if it does I would target its MP costs before anything else.

nuru posted:

Dedicated Scholar healing is fine, especially if you bring out Eos (ugh) but it isn't particularly fun in dungeons compared to the other healers.

But man, making Emergency Tactics the hill to die on is pretty strange.

I'm not? "Hey, actually use Emergency Tactics and Dissipation sometime" isn't the same as going "and it's the solution to EVERY PROBLEM."

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Jun 23, 2017

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

dogsicle posted:

Is there a way to use both WXHB and toggle triggers? It seems weird that the game lets you have both set to on when they seem incompatible.

please do not use toggle triggers in general

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

Your tone felt that way. But it's just funny in general because of how emergency tactics actually works mechanically.

Take the aetherflow requirement from bane and excog and maybe call it a day. That would effectively give us a free lustrate per minute, better mana regen (since aetherflow stacks are effective mana), and reduce the awful feeling of only having bane and not being able to use it. I bet it would feel pretty good.

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't

queeb posted:

All tanks should do as much damage as DPS because it's fun and more people would play em. gently caress nerfing tanks. Nobody does anything if there's no tanks so make them badass as hell

Yeah, people calling for PLD nerfs after they were in the gutter all last expansion are dicks. I hope DRKs and WARs are as strong as paladins after the next patch, and further I hope they leave paladin exactly the way it is because holy poo poo this job is fun now.

jymbojones
Jul 4, 2010
Buff everything to the current levels of PLD/SAM/RDM then don't touch a goddamn thing.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Got a honest healer a little while back who refused to cast his attacks, except to pull trash the tank didn't want to which is just bad at being a healer and being bad at being a honest healer

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

Skipping trash is dishonest to the content.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

Sade posted:

Yeah, people calling for PLD nerfs after they were in the gutter all last expansion are dicks. I hope DRKs and WARs are as strong as paladins after the next patch, and further I hope they leave paladin exactly the way it is because holy poo poo this job is fun now.

just because a class was previously bad doesn't make it okay when it's too good and revolving-door class balance is absolutely terrible game design.

i think ideally paladin gets tweaked slightly downwards and drk and war get tweaked up but right now paladin is doing way too much given how insanely simple and straightforward it's new rotation is.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

nuru posted:

Skipping trash is dishonest to the content.

It was trash that was going to get pulled, it's in the way so you can't skip it. Pulling it before your tank is very dishonest.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Josuke Higashikata posted:

It was trash that was going to get pulled, it's in the way so you can't skip it. Pulling it before your tank is very dishonest.

That's why you run past it and then rescue the tank to the mob.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

jymbojones posted:

Buff everything to the current levels of PLD/SAM/RDM then don't touch a goddamn thing.

Is RDM really so strong that things need to be buffed to its level? I thought the "rankings" or whatever showed it solidly in the middle, which is probably exactly where it ought to be.

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

There's a fun tax that RDM has to pay. Kind of like how SMN is supposedly top tier now that we have ACT but it plays like it did at fifty.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

nuru posted:

Your tone felt that way. But it's just funny in general because of how emergency tactics actually works mechanically.

Take the aetherflow requirement from bane and excog and maybe call it a day. That would effectively give us a free lustrate per minute, better mana regen (since aetherflow stacks are effective mana), and reduce the awful feeling of only having bane and not being able to use it. I bet it would feel pretty good.

The issue with removing the Aetherflow requirements from those is that they clearly want you to be spending Aetherflow, not saving it, in order to power up the Aetherpact mechanic. I don't think the Aetherpact mechanic is rewarding enough right now, especially since it comes at 70 and thus is only used in a handful of dungeons and trials so far. Excog's really unsatisfying right now because as near as I can tell its was designed entirely with this in mind. (Which makes it dumb you get it at 62.) I

Honestly I find Aetherpact in general super-underwhelming for a capstone skill with its own meter and everything. It just doesn't feel very good.

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

The issue with removing the Aetherflow requirements from those is that they clearly want you to be spending Aetherflow, not saving it, in order to power up the Aetherpact mechanic. I don't think the Aetherpact mechanic is rewarding enough right now, especially since it comes at 70 and thus is only used in a handful of dungeons and trials so far. Excog's really unsatisfying right now because as near as I can tell its was designed entirely with this in mind. (Which makes it dumb you get it at 62.) I

Honestly I find Aetherpact in general super-underwhelming for a capstone skill with its own meter and everything. It just doesn't feel very good.

They're both mediocre but I don't expect them to change them at all. Our best case is maybe that quickening gets a higher proc rate and the bar grows by fifteen rather than ten. I'm not expecting much more realistically.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Gotta admit I've been using Mana Shift to support my healers a lot more than I thought I would on RDM. Until you get VerFlare and VerHoly it's pretty Mana neutral and even with those finishers the drain is slow and liberal usage of Lucid Dreaming (which you'll often need anyways to dump emnity) keeps up with it.

However if you start having to throw VerCures or even a VerRaise you'll start running dry quick. Especially VerRaise, given it costs 25% of our MP to cast. Yeah I can pick up a third of a full party of the ground in a few seconds, but I'm gonna be gassed afterward.

But anyways always happy to throw my healer buddies a bone, those Holies and Gravities are pricy. gently caress Honest Healers though, if all you're gonna do is heal you should have plenty of MP to do that.

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

Mama shift is cool and should be used on cooldown to keep the holies flowing.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

nuru posted:

They're both mediocre but I don't expect them to change them at all. Our best case is maybe that quickening gets a higher proc rate and the bar grows by fifteen rather than ten. I'm not expecting much more realistically.

I wouldn't be tremendously shocked to see Excog get a potency boost because as it stands "50 more potency but on a longer cooldown than Lustrate" is a bit much for a skill whose only purpose seems to give you an option to not sit on an Aetherstack.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

queeb posted:

yes lets let tanks do this then theres no reason to ever bring a dps to content. We can just roll 6 tanks and 2 healers.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Augus posted:

It's still really weird that we never got a Bahamut extreme, just Nael.

There's a couple of reasons. Basically the hardest raid content has a sub 5% total population clear rate. Savage Second Coil has an even lower one. Very few people cleared it before ARR ended. Now, there are definitely a lot of goon domitors (melusine mauler is the real achievement), but as a whole it was a trivial number of players. There was zero reason to make a third difficulty tier with bahamut as a result. Rather I'm sure those resources got put into Alexander and is why Gordias was so loving brutal.

The most difficult fights in the game at min ilevel by a very wide margin are T7S, T9S, A3S, A4S, A7S, and A8S. These fights are head and shoulders above everything else in the game. They're all very challenging and mostly fun fights, though. They also have the lowest clear rates of any content.

SonicRulez posted:

I figure it's because, much like Odin, Bahamut was already really drat hard. To buff him would be to court death.

FCOB was the easiest of the raid tiers in ARR by a good amount. Bahamut was a relative victory lap. I mean, the fight took time and effort to learn, but it wasn't near as onerous as anything else up to that point. There absolutely could have been a savage bahamut, but 1-2% of people would ever clear it. As fun as it might be, those resources are better spent on other things.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Not really a spoiler, but no harm being too careful

Am I crazy, or does the generic Garlean officer have the same VA as Regulus?

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Holyshoot posted:

yes lets let tanks do this then theres no reason to ever bring a dps to content. We can just roll 6 tanks and 2 healers.

Man mode is now canon. Except the men are paladins instead of warriors.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Holyshoot posted:

No need to bring healers. We have clemency.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Mr. Nice! posted:

No need to bring healers. We have clemency.

oh ya! forgot.

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

I don't usually mind sidequests but they're starting to pop up at ridiculous times.

"Oh poo poo guys, someone's coming, we better hide!" *six sidequests appear out in the open*

Alakaiser
Jan 3, 2007

And the Lord Josh said, "Blessed are those cast away by Belichick, theirs is the kingdom of Denver." (Tebow 1:25)
I thought the thing with second coil savage was that that was the original internal tuning of second coil that they realized was too unforgiving, but then the team was eventually like "eh gently caress it, let's release it as a special challenge" anyway.

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe
RDM already holds aggro pretty good, dualcast aero/thunder is drat close to a provoke. Just let us wear plate and give us Holmgang and esuna.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Mr. Nice! posted:

There's a couple of reasons. Basically the hardest raid content has a sub 5% total population clear rate. Savage Second Coil has an even lower one. Very few people cleared it before ARR ended. Now, there are definitely a lot of goon domitors (melusine mauler is the real achievement), but as a whole it was a trivial number of players. There was zero reason to make a third difficulty tier with bahamut as a result. Rather I'm sure those resources got put into Alexander and is why Gordias was so loving brutal.

The most difficult fights in the game at min ilevel by a very wide margin are T7S, T9S, A3S, A4S, A7S, and A8S. These fights are head and shoulders above everything else in the game. They're all very challenging and mostly fun fights, though. They also have the lowest clear rates of any content.

FCOB was the easiest of the raid tiers in ARR by a good amount. Bahamut was a relative victory lap. I mean, the fight took time and effort to learn, but it wasn't near as onerous as anything else up to that point. There absolutely could have been a savage bahamut, but 1-2% of people would ever clear it. As fun as it might be, those resources are better spent on other things.

Don't forget savage coil gave no gear just titles. I'm pretty sure theres more people in the "i want gear for doing this hard rear end poo poo as well as the challenge" camp then the "i play only for the challenge and NOTHING ELSE!". Granted the clear rate would still be super low but it probably would have been a bit higher if they had actual gear tied to savage coil.

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe

UHD posted:

I don't usually mind sidequests but they're starting to pop up at ridiculous times.

"Oh poo poo guys, someone's coming, we better hide!" *six sidequests appear out in the open*

I didn't mind that so much since it's sorta like we're getting each town ready to assist with their uprisings as we go, solving obvious problems and leaving every town in better shape than we found it. That is a weird point to open up the quests though, I see what you mean.

Learn from my mistake and always be looking up aether current guides for walking around a zone for the first time if you plan on doing side quests as they pop up. In the zone you're talking about, there's a set of quests where you are sent back and forth across the map about 7 or 8 times with several mins of walking each time, and it is a hell, ok? A living hell. Kill me. I wanted to enjoy my time in each zone without flight but that quest design makes it goddamn impossible.

The ruby sea zone is pretty good without flight though because diving is about as fast, and because the zone feels vast when you can't fly and tiny once you can.

Jinh fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Jun 23, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kzin602
May 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Truga posted:

I just got shittalked for the first time since I've been healing in this game.

I queued for the 2 ex dungeons, got fist, and apparently pulling as much as humanly possible when both the tank and the healer are in entry level 70 gear is a grand idea. Eventually in one of the pulls tank died and this happened:

https://udba.org/ff30/ffxiv_23062017_061342.jpg

Later on he also said he'd reported me for my raise macro :laugh:

The tank never thought to just slow down a bit? That's what I do when I'm PLD and I have lovely gear and forget to use cooldowns the healer can't keep up