Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Ariong posted:

You're crossing the garbage wires!

For real though, your post does make me wonder how long it could be this bad before Griffin and Rachel just quit with The Bachelor altogether.
They said in the podcast that they're seriously considering it, going so far as to plan what to do instead. They've already said that they will not be covering this season's Bachelor in Paradise.

BTW, I meant "based on some dialogue in the show", not "based on Facebook dialogue".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

You're crossing wires as in Corinne was the woman that was sexually assaulted while Rachel was the woman that was made to keep a bigot on her show these programs are god drat dog food in a dumpster

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

DoombatINC posted:

You're crossing wires as in Corinne was the woman that was sexually assaulted while Rachel was the woman that was made to keep a bigot on her show these programs are god drat dog food in a dumpster
a dumpster filled with flaming poop and the corpses of reputations. whoops on the wires.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

sexpig by night posted:

I mean yea you can reduce it super hard to that but the one dude dude who started this whole "OH GOD THE BLACKS ON TWITTER ARE GOING WILD ON OUR POOR POOR BROTHERS" derail was just kinda taking the not unique or fringe stance that a show where george washington raps and only addresses slavery with generic 'and guys, slavery is bad' throwaway lines that none of the actual founders believed in and has moments where Thomas Jefferson has cutesy banter referencing the slave he raped like she was his girlfriend actually is kinda a problem to a lot of people and that manifests in being a little sick of seeing Lin getting praised as some progressive force for making Washington black.

Like, maybe boiling it down to people being crazy and lumping literally anyone who says 'maybe using your platform for this guy isn't the best move' in with some kinda insane targeted attack is part of the problem?
A lot of leftists I see and know seem to hate it because its catnip for the well off liberal elites and centrists who quote the play to slam Trump et al on twitter.

That and its basically this made real:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yG_rEqCivn4

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o10xcWo2k04

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

achillesforever6 posted:

A lot of leftists I see and know seem to hate it because its catnip for the well off liberal elites and centrists who quote the play to slam Trump et al on twitter.

That and its basically this made real:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yG_rEqCivn4

That and it's the biggest softest safest style of 'Rap' to make sure it's digestible for even the Whitest Liberals.

(And the more traditional musical styled parts are average at best but that's a Separate discussion)

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
Justin's put a post up on the MBMBaM Appreciation Group about them backing off of involvement with their fan pages. Not sure if the text can be read by non-members, so here it is.

Justin McElroy posted:

So, a few changes are coming down the pike for this group today to try to address concerns from members of this community. If you’re a follower of any of our other podcasts’ Facebook groups, you’ll probably notice that we’re taking similar steps across all those groups to fix a broader problem that stems from a policy we’ve followed since these groups’ inception.
So, we have been thinking a lot about Facebook groups, not in response to any one thing specifically, but from viewing the very concept as a whole. We realize now that it is inherently problematic for us to be in charge of a group in which the purpose is to discuss us and our show.
We want you to be able to discuss the show candidly! We don’t think it’s right that anyone feel like they have to censor themselves because we might be lurking around looking over their shoulder. We want you to be able to discuss what's important to you openly. If we are in charge of the conversation, there will be an inherent bias against criticism. That is not a good environment to foster open conversation.
We’ve reviewed the mod team and made sure the group’s in good hands. Now we’ll be stepping down from our leadership positions in the group and soon leave the group entirely. To be clear, removing ourselves entirely won’t occur in every group, but will happen on a case by case basis.
We truly believe that this will be the best thing for the group and will allow for more conversation. There will still be plenty of avenues to contact us so please don’t take this as us separating ourselves from the community.
When we really got down to it, we realized that we should have made this decision long ago. We apologize that it has taken us so long to realize what so many of you already know: This group exists for you, not us.
Thanks everyone for your patience and understanding as we make these changes! As always, your support is appreciated beyond words.
Take care of each other.
Love,
The McElroys

SoupyTwist
Feb 20, 2008
Do people really hate Lin because of Hamilton? The musical is not without issues but at worst he's a well intentioned nerd.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

SoupyTwist posted:

Do people really hate Lin because of Hamilton? The musical is not without issues but at worst he's a well intentioned nerd.

Oh I don't hate him I just think Hamilton stinks.

And people that are Mad At Hamilton are more mad that something with so many issues is upheld as some cool progressive thing while it's basically just trying to smooth over a lot of really awful people (The founding fathers sucked and were almost unilaterally garbage human beings)

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

SoupyTwist posted:

I've hated him since the rhyming bus episode of HIMYM

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Oh I don't hate him I just think Hamilton stinks.

And people that are Mad At Hamilton are more mad that something with so many issues is upheld as some cool progressive thing while it's basically just trying to smooth over a lot of really awful people (The founding fathers sucked and were almost unilaterally garbage human beings)

We better stop doing stories about pretty much any historical figure in power then.

ATP5G1
Jun 22, 2005
Fun Shoe

SpacePig posted:

Justin's put a post up on the MBMBaM Appreciation Group about them backing off of involvement with their fan pages.

this is at the very top of the "Things You Could See Coming From A Mile Away" list

:/

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

SoupyTwist posted:

I think they hate Hamilton fans more than Lin himself, though I know people who like that Immortal Technique would bully Lin back in high school.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Chin Strap posted:

We better stop doing stories about pretty much any historical figure in power then.

Well at least not ones that try and turn a man forcing himself on a woman he literally owned into that same man talking cutsey about his girlfriend.

Like there's a lot of fiction that's about people who did great things that don't try and relitigate the ducked up poo poo they also did.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Well at least not ones that try and turn a man forcing himself on a woman he literally owned into that same man talking cutsey about his girlfriend.

Like there's a lot of fiction that's about people who did great things that don't try and relitigate the ducked up poo poo they also did.

I mean maybe it comes off that way when you listen to it but the staging of the production makes Jefferson's cruelty very apparant.

but that's part of how hosed up broadway prodcutions are in general, from a marxist perspective

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

ATP5G1 posted:

this is at the very top of the "Things You Could See Coming From A Mile Away" list

:/

Also, not surprisingly, comments are disabled for the post. I can't imagine what it must feel like to do everything you can to be as open and inclusive of your fanbase as you possibly can, only to have certain sectors of it shout you out of your own interactive groups.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I hope Griffin and Rachel switch to Survivor. I could totally watch Survivor along with them. The Bachelor products are just loving terrible though; I can't get through five minutes.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Survivor would be really good, it would be nice to have discussion on the show that isn't from people involved in the extremely weird alumni incest cult that the show has produced

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy
Rachel and Griffin:

Follow me...

Follow me to Hell's Kitchen... :getin:

ATP5G1
Jun 22, 2005
Fun Shoe
Also irrespective of how you feel about the politics of his work, I think we can all agree that the worst thing about Lin is that while he's an undeniably talented songwriter, he's crap at performing and yet continues to undermine everything he creates by shoving himself to the forefront to showcase his terrible acting, dancing, and singing. Dude was nominated for an Oscar, and yet he still felt the need to specifically create a dumb rap to preface "How Far I'll Go" for the ceremony because he cannot go a hot minute without reminding everyone who's the star of the show.

One of the most hilarious things he's ever said was that it took him forever to decide whether he would play Hamilton or Burr. It is obvious to anyone with a brain that the part of Hamilton is tailored towards weak singers, Burr specifically requires a singing voice that actually sounds good, and that while Lin's ego may be larger than the moon he'd never be stupid enough to write himself a part in his magnum opus where he was actually required to display any significant level of vocal ability.

SpacePig posted:

Also, not surprisingly, comments are disabled for the post. I can't imagine what it must feel like to do everything you can to be as open and inclusive of your fanbase as you possibly can, only to have certain sectors of it shout you out of your own interactive groups.

It's really loving sad, and it's a sentiment that I'm seeing expressed by an increasingly large number of online artists/creator people who have developed a shred of popularity. Not that I'm admitting I pay attention to The Tumblrs, but there is definitely a phenomenon of users who start becoming popular for the combination of talent and inclusive representations in their writing or artwork who ultimately end up deleting their blog, going private, or transitioning entirely to a self-run website that doesn't allow comments because they no longer want to deal with the inevitable bullshit. I am beginning to have the opinion that posting on the Internet should be like renting a car. Nobody should be allowed to publicly post anything save honest questions until they reach the age of 25.

back to McElroys . . .

I greatly enjoyed Rachel and Griffin's review of Please Marry My Boy. It turns out this is not even the first time this hillarible idea has surfaced, nor even the most cringe-worthy name. I give you Momma's Boys.

Turns out there is also a whole world of family-driven dating shows that I must've blocked from my memory of the 00s, such as Date My Mom, Who Wants to Marry My Dad, Parental Control, and Meet My Folks. If they were willing I would totally watch these shows with them and cringe along to every moment.

also what if we switched to Chinese Dating, because it genuinely looks interesting and is unlikely to be 100% trash and garbagepeople?

ATP5G1 fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Jun 23, 2017

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Never seen Hamilton, but whenever I hear snippets it sounds like it's only slightly more advanced than someone going "My name is Alex and I'm here to say/I love federalism in a major way"

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

I think Hamilton is very cool, perhaps also very good

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

ATP5G1 posted:

Also irrespective of how you feel about the politics of his work, I think we can all agree that the worst thing about Lin is that while he's an undeniably talented songwriter, he's crap at performing

Uh, no? Like, it's cool if you don't like his performance, and I'm sure you're far from alone on that front, but I'm not sure where you got the idea that it is the majority opinion, let alone such a universal one that you can just offhandedly mention it before basing your entire argument around it. You do realize that just because you don't like something doesn't mean that everyone doesn't like it right? I understand that is a very condescending question, but I don't understand how else you could look at the world and come to the conclusion that Lin Manuel Goddamn Miranda is an unpopular performer.

EDIT: I want to make it absolutely clear that I am not saying that you are wrong for not liking him. That's perfectly valid.

EDIT2: Unrelated. Let's Go To Hell is a series I'm really excited for, but I hope they revisit Super Monkey Ball 2 at some point. That game is unique in terms of how much detail is put into the things oyu see very little of will never see. For example, the textures and models in the skyboxes are insanely high-res considering that you're always a mile away from them.

Ariong fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Jun 23, 2017

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
it's weird how hamilton is this unifying factor for goons.

of course it's problematic. as someone with no taste for musical theatre, i enjoyed it. i can see the argument that some of the music is derivative, but saying there's no lyrical complexity is indefensible.

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

SpacePig posted:

Justin's put a post up on the MBMBaM Appreciation Group about them backing off of involvement with their fan pages. Not sure if the text can be read by non-members, so here it is.

We've been talking a while about how this was going to be what the McElroy's had to do at some point, but it sucks that it took people being shitheads to a teenage girl to push them over the edge.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Somberbrero posted:

but saying there's no lyrical complexity is indefensible.

I mean, like, the style and flow are bad. Never listened to enough to pay attention to the lyrics.

The Lobotomy Kid
Aug 27, 2011

and act like a nut.
Maybe Griffin releases Big Gulp to the public, maybe this whole thing just goes away.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

PostNouveau posted:

Never seen Hamilton, but whenever I hear snippets it sounds like it's only slightly more advanced than someone going "My name is Alex and I'm here to say/I love federalism in a major way"

Nah, the rap parts are actually quite complex in parts. Some parts are a bit corny, but it's technically impressive.

It's a silly thing to track, but Daveed Diggs has the record for the fastest rap on broadway, too. It's on Guns and Ships, where he's playing Lafayette.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

Soup du Jour posted:

We've been talking a while about how this was going to be what the McElroy's had to do at some point, but it sucks that it took people being shitheads to a teenage girl to push them over the edge.

The fact that it got to that point is sad, but the fact that the boys stuck with their fans long enough that it got to that point is impressive. I'm honestly surprised they didn't do it months ago.

Invisible Ted
Aug 24, 2011

hhhehehe
I unironically believe Hamilton would have been better written and performed by Future. What little I've heard of Lin's rap sounds like lovely "epic rap battles of history" garbage.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I would give anything for this thread to stop talking about hamilton

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

I dunno. I like the musical, but I also kinda like seeing people dunk on it.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
I find it impressive how many negative comments on Hamilton end with "I have actually only heard snippets" or something of that effect. Lots of hot takes to a broadway musical that peeps haven't seen.
Then again that's also my case, so.

Anyway, I hope Griffin and our fourth brother unleash their new series soon so this thread can stop being crap.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

I find it impressive how many negative comments on Hamilton end with "I have actually only heard snippets" or something of that effect. Lots of hot takes to a broadway musical that peeps haven't seen.

Anyway, I hope Griffin and our fourth brother unleash their new series soon so this thread can stop being crap.

my other brother and me: the rise of dougie

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

They already did. It is Very Good™.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Shockingly the majority of people can't experience a smash Broadway musical first hand

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

purple death ray posted:

Shockingly the majority of people can't experience a smash Broadway musical first hand

You can listen to basically the entire thing for free at least. You're still missing out on the context of choreography or w/e but that doesn't seem to be what people are complaining about.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Ariong posted:

They already did. It is Very Good™.

Yessssss

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

purple death ray posted:

You can hear all the songs on Spotify for free though, also youtube.

I'm mostly neutral on Hamilton, but I still feel like you should at least listen to one song before you say the entire musical sucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

SpacePig posted:

I haven't listened to a McElroy show in over year, but I feel like every time I've seen them come up in my Twitter or Tumblr feeds they've been apologizing for something. I get that they're trying to be inclusive and everything but if you let people walk all over you and never stand up for yourself or your creative output, some people are going to assume they can just bully you into doing whatever they want.