Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
A nice stick/wheel setup with Steam controller functionality would actually be really cool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:

Tippis posted:

You're not flying the Viggen by any chance? :D

I wish!

my broke rear end is still flatspinning the Su27 with a $20 logitec twist stick while playing infrared tetris on an interface that was most likely designed in the 80s :commissar:

as a lowly gamepad user the best wheel experience i've had at my home desk in a sim was live for speed by dragging the mouse left/right. the downside to that was without pedals i had to tap the loving keyboard like :f5: to keep anything powerful enough from spinning out but it was interesting how they implemented options for poor ppl

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Long shot but

Any of y'all live in Idaho and want to buy a playseat challenge cheep before i throw it up on FB Marketplace?

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Norns posted:

Long shot but

Any of y'all live in Idaho and want to buy a playseat challenge cheep before i throw it up on FB Marketplace?

Are you anywhere near Spokane? Could have a friend pick it up. Otherwise, best of luck with the marketplace!

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Boise is a bit far out of the way for your friend.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

What Assetto Corsa DLC is worth buying during the Steam Summer Sale?

Brownie
Jul 21, 2007
The Croatian Sensation
God I just did my first online race with Assetto Corsa and it was a pretty negative experience. I was using a car I'd never used before (The McLaren MP4-12C GT3) on Spa, but I still ended up finishing 7th just by driving clean. I would've finished higher though if people (who were much faster, admittedly) didn't repeatedly slam into while coming back onto track or in the hair pin turn at the start. Really made me want to play iRacing but then I looked at the prices for tracks and cars and just balked. It's too much man! But I want (relatively) clean racing!

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

xzzy posted:

Which I've actually looked into in the past, and you definitely can do it, but there's no magic usb controller out there that lets you program the buttons via gui or anything. You're basically programming an arduino with keyboard codes.

https://www.ultimarc.com/ipac1.html

Though I personally find the Teensy Arduino gamepad mode really easy to work with and have built a few custom controllers with that.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

FBS posted:

What Assetto Corsa DLC is worth buying during the Steam Summer Sale?

If you are getting just one get the one with the nordshliefefeffef track as it's a great version of it

Also go get free mods from race department

http://www.racedepartment.com/downloads/categories/assetto-corsa.1/

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Dream Pack 1+3, Red Pack and Japan pack are the essential AC DLCs I think just for the tracks. Though the Porsche bundle is £6 which is a solid deal. DP2 is easily the weakest of those 3 but its so cheap you might as well grab it as well.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

I've liked at least one car from every pack I can think of

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:
JDM one rules you can turn the boost up so high in the Supra it damages the engine

peter gabriel posted:

If you are getting just one get the one with the nordshliefefeffef track as it's a great version of it

Also go get free mods from race department

http://www.racedepartment.com/downloads/categories/assetto-corsa.1/

^also this

idk which version of the track it is but a lot of the chill 24/7 trackday servers run that one and there are a handful of active jdm only servers

snack soul
Jul 6, 2005

GhostDog posted:

Aww, the first little rationalization down the long dark path :3:

Yeah I started with a G27, but dealing with the clamps and cables every time I got it out was annoying so I picked up a CSL seat to attach it to. Then I went ahead and upgraded everything to the ClubSport line (so that i'd go faster obviously). I even picked up the handbrake a few weeks ago for dirt rally. Then I went out and bought an MX-5 RF. It really just kind of spiraled out of control.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

You hosed up buying a car instead of a motion rig

snack soul
Jul 6, 2005

Gotta take care of the higher priority stuff first, like wiring up the light system :spergin:

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

LMAO knew it would be that video

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
That guy never uploaded a video of him actually driving it like he promised.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Very likely he is very bad.

Maybe he seizured after seeing that loving caution lighting

Fuzz1111
Mar 17, 2001

Sorry. I couldn't find anyone to make you a cool cipher-themed avatar, and the look on this guy's face cracks me the fuck up.

Thief posted:

as a lowly gamepad user the best wheel experience i've had at my home desk in a sim was live for speed by dragging the mouse left/right.
Haha I remember playing LFS the same way years ago - I have to say that that game did make mouse input about as good as I think is possible.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Yo what the gently caress is up with your hands and fingers feeling like they're on a delay after using a wheel.

Incidentally I downloaded custom FFB settings for Dirt Rally made by a real rally driver and it's awesome.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Black Griffon posted:

Yo what the gently caress is up with your hands and fingers feeling like they're on a delay after using a wheel.

Incidentally I downloaded custom FFB settings for Dirt Rally made by a real rally driver and it's awesome.

That doesn't happen to me.

Brownie
Jul 21, 2007
The Croatian Sensation

Black Griffon posted:

No idea what you're talking about, make sure you aren't giving yourself carpal tunnel or something.

Also do you have a link for those settings?

On the subject of dirt 4, I find it almost impossible to initiate and maintain slides in that game compared to RBR or even Dirt Rally, does anyone else have the same experience?

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Not allowed to have nice things

Brownie posted:

No idea what you're talking about, make sure you aren't giving yourself carpal tunnel or something.

On the subject of dirt 4, I find it almost impossible to initiate and maintain slides in that game compared to RBR or even Dirt Rally, does anyone else have the same experience?

Dirt 4's default setups and configurations are setup as if you are driving on an asphalt surface, you have to loosen the car up

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

That and the cars do have a lot more rear grip than in rally.

I have to use the handbrake more to get loose.

Brownie
Jul 21, 2007
The Croatian Sensation

Slickdrac posted:

Dirt 4's default setups and configurations are setup as if you are driving on an asphalt surface, you have to loosen the car up

Ah. Despite enjoying sim racing for more than a decade now I've never developed the patience for stuff like that. I'll see if I can download some setups

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
Setups to me are the bridge-too-far for sim racing. The fact that you can start a race/practice in iRacing and by default the car they give you fails tech inspection is loving absurd. Ok sorry computer game, I didn't know that before I could go driving I have to solve a puzzle by moving sliders and seeing if youll let me actually play the game like Myst or some poo poo.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Gozinbulx posted:

Setups to me are the bridge-too-far for sim racing. The fact that you can start a race/practice in iRacing and by default the car they give you fails tech inspection is loving absurd. Ok sorry computer game, I didn't know that before I could go driving I have to solve a puzzle by moving sliders and seeing if youll let me actually play the game like Myst or some poo poo.

Chances are the setup you have on your car is from an old build. You should be able to just load up the default again.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
Just to chase up any stragglers from the iRacing thread as it's short notice:

:siren: GOONCAR IS ON :siren:

Tonight! iRacing! Classic 70 laps of Skips at Iowa, no fuel bullshit, session up at 7:20pm ET/00:20am BST (check your league sessions page for local time!), 10 mins practice, 3 laps lone qual.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Not allowed to have nice things

Gozinbulx posted:

:confused: Sim versions of racing, setups are an absolute necessity though.

My gripe with setups is more that default setups are almost always god awful safe, slow, and tighter than a racing virgin's grip on a wheel, and there's no default loose and fast setup. I'm poo poo with setups besides adjusting the basics (gear/heat/height) without spending 2-4 hours dicking with sliders and staring at telemetry, even with guides I tend usually to just make things worse, I'd rather take a half decent setup that's harder to control and spend 20-30 minutes getting the handling and finding the marks.

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004

Vando posted:

Just to chase up any stragglers from the iRacing thread as it's short notice:

:siren: GOONCAR IS ON :siren:

Tonight! iRacing! Classic 70 laps of Skips at Iowa, no fuel bullshit, session up at 7:20pm ET/00:20am BST (check your league sessions page for local time!), 10 mins practice, 3 laps lone qual.

I've never gooncar'd before, how do I join in? Does my rookie license stuff still matter in private games? I swear I don't suck too much.

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004

Slickdrac posted:

without spending 2-4 hours dicking with sliders and staring at telemetry, even with guides I tend usually to just make things worse, I'd rather take a half decent setup that's harder to control and spend 20-30 minutes getting the handling and finding the marks.

But that's precisely my point. Spending hours playing around with sliders to figure out if the 1s and 0s of the computer machine will let me go fast as possible is just like, what are we even doing here. You created this game, just give me a couple of choices of fast setups and let other dorks spend hours tweaking.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

That's why steam workshop stuff was so cool in rally

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Gozinbulx posted:

I've never gooncar'd before, how do I join in? Does my rookie license stuff still matter in private games? I swear I don't suck too much.

http://members.iracing.com/membersite/member/LeagueView.do?league=897

Go there and apply for the league. Make sure to post in here what your first name is, so we can set your forum name in the club so you aren't racing with your real name. The message you can type when applying either doesn't go anywhere or it only goes to whoever created the club, and Minto doesn't really show up anymore.

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

My fiancee and I started autocrossing irl, and it's been fun. We're looking for a PC title that will best approximate the experience in order to get some practice on general concepts. When to enter a turn, how fast, brake points, etc. What's going to be the best title for aspiring autocrossers?

Since I know you're all curious, here's a video from an event earlier this year (not me)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wqo3oDYtbd0

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

It's been absolute ages since I've touched the sim, but I think Live For Speed had an autocross/gymkana mode.

*edit*
Yep, it does:
https://en.lfsmanual.net/wiki/Autocross

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004

Cojawfee posted:

http://members.iracing.com/membersite/member/LeagueView.do?league=897

Go there and apply for the league. Make sure to post in here what your first name is, so we can set your forum name in the club so you aren't racing with your real name. The message you can type when applying either doesn't go anywhere or it only goes to whoever created the club, and Minto doesn't really show up anymore.

Post here my name? Jorge. Just applied.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Gozinbulx posted:

But that's precisely my point. Spending hours playing around with sliders to figure out if the 1s and 0s of the computer machine will let me go fast as possible is just like, what are we even doing here. You created this game, just give me a couple of choices of fast setups and let other dorks spend hours tweaking.

Learn tire pressures, differentials, downforce and brake settings and that's 99% of what's important in setups.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
Also learn that if you really need one you can pull something from the forums 95% of the time

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Vando posted:

Also learn that if you really need one you can pull something from the forums 95% of the time

Unless its a oval setup because oval guys are douchebags and super protective of their setups. Then they complain about no-one running the open setup series'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Can anyone give some very basic advice on downshifting in manual? I've never driven a car, and so I feel like a mess of arms and legs every time I approach a turn. Heel and toe is one thing, but it feels like I'm struggling with the very basics. Is there some kind of leg strategy I haven't mastered? Some basic order of actions I haven't realized?

Brownie posted:

Probably just the unusual feeling of actual resistance in a game, I hope.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=581210146