Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

My main thing with the back end of Chrono Trigger is not knowing where I'm going which led to me (back when I last took a crack at playing through it) I think ending up in the DS-only superdungeon by accident and getting my poo poo ruined?

I'd go back to it and see where I got stuck, but I need to get back on the FF5 game* I started like two years ago and have yet to finish.

I'm bad at sticking to RPGs.

*It's even more embarrassing when people start talking about doing a gazillion fiesta runs and I've yet to beat the game once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Yeah I have yet to actually play through FF5 and I really need to at some point...

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Is it better than FFIV?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

Is it better than FFIV?

Arguing "better" between FFs is :can: as hell

It does have a strong job system though unlike FFIV or FFVI which makes it highly replayable.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Is it better than FFIV?
I'm definitely in the minority feeling this way but like it a lot more than both IV and VI. Visually it sits somewhere between the two games (more detail than IV, less than VI, but consistently brighter and more vibrant colour palettes than both of them), and plot- and setting-wise it's nonsensical and incoherent even by FF standards, but the gameplay is probably my favourite in the series. Same kinda job system that I and III had but massively expanded and unlike those games it's actually still fun as gently caress in the year 2017. Play the GBA version.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
OK, I am going to give it a shot. It will probably be the same result as when I tried to play Terranigma a year ago. I'll love it, get halfway through it, get busy and forget about it and will have to start back up from the beginning :emo:

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
The GBA version is still the definitive release of FF5, isn't it? I never played the mobile/PC releases of the SNES FFs, but I know they're not highly regarded, and I don't know if there's more to that than the updated graphics being kind of lovely.

I think from a gameplay perspective FF5 has held up the best out of all the classic FF games. And I find the story charming, though that doesn't really come across in Square's original translation or the fan translation.

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Jun 23, 2017

al-azad
May 28, 2009

OK, I am going to give it a shot. It will probably be the same result as when I tried to play Terranigma a year ago. I'll love it, get halfway through it, get busy and forget about it and will have to start back up from the beginning :emo:

This is where I'm at. FF5 is sitting in my Gamecube player about 10 hours in from 2 years ago.

I like it more than FF4. I recognize FF4 as being more groundbreaking in the genre and series but FF5 is more systems heavy and fun.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Rollersnake posted:

The GBA version is still the definitive release of FF5, isn't it? I never played the mobile/PC releases of the SNES FFs, but I know they're not highly regarded, and I don't know if there's more to that than the updated graphics being kind of lovely.

I think from a gameplay perspective FF5 has held up the best out of all the classic FF games. And I find the story charming, though that doesn't really come across in Square's original translation or the fan translation.

Your options regarding localized versions are PS1, GBA or the mobile/Steam version. The PS1 version has a stiff script and atrocious load times, I think, and the modern version looks off for many reasons and apparently they did some really weird rebalancing? There's also the SNES version, I guess, but I don't really know enough about why you'd want to choose SNES over GBA unless the GBA music is such a turnoff for you.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Rollersnake posted:

The HD version is ugly and I think the PC version is a bad Android wrapper that doesn't (or didn't) run too well but content-wise it's more or less identical to the GBA version, save for the music which is from the SNES version.

There's a patch for the GBA version that enhances the audio but I haven't tried it so I can't tell you how much of a difference it makes.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Rollersnake posted:

I could not find which one was regarded as the definitive version but the one or two results I found from google were that the RPGe translation patch for the SNES is the best one, followed by the GBA one, and the PS1 version in last place. This coming from a guy who played all 3 translations. I know there is a patch called DeJap as well but I think that's the one from the 90s so it might not be as refined as the RPGe one. I do not know any of this for sure, though.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Just play the GBA version and get a music patch if it exists.

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

I know there is a patch called DeJap as well but I think that's the one from the 90s so it might not be as refined as the RPGe one. I do not know any of this for sure, though.

The RPGe patch is from 1998, it predates the English PSX release by a year making it the first translation ever for the game. DeJap are mainly known for their Tales of Phantasia and Star Ocean translations, but they've never done a FF game.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Veib posted:

The RPGe patch is from 1998, it predates the English PSX release by a year making it the first translation ever for the game. DeJap are mainly known for their Tales of Phantasia and Star Ocean translations, but they've never done a FF game.

Oh, I apologize. There is in fact a second patch on romhacking.net though. I'm not sure which of the two is better. Amazing that it is generally accepted that the legit translation is considered the worst.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.
Also, DeJap's translation of Tales of Phantasia is pretty bad, and tends to play fast and loose with the original text in favor of adding edgy swear words.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

"I bet Arche fucks like a tiger!"

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Actually, where did the PSX translation of FFV even come from? Did Square get that one done super quickly so they could sell it? Or did they have plans to localize the SNES version that got shelved in favor of FFVI instead and the script was salvaged from that plan?

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

ChaosArgate posted:

Actually, where did the PSX translation of FFV even come from? Did Square get that one done super quickly so they could sell it? Or did they have plans to localize the SNES version that got shelved in favor of FFVI instead and the script was salvaged from that plan?

Wiki tells me there were like 4 or 5 different attempts to do it that failed because they thought it would be too hard for the US.

I can never find this drat article from OPM when this comes up, but I swear I read one talking about Square translating FFV on the PS1, and how at one point the game's script got injected with the company's emails at one point.

edit: said it backwards the first time.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

ChaosArgate posted:

Ted Woosley said he suspects it might be his translation. He completely translated the game before Square decided to not release it here.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Oh, I apologize. There is in fact a second patch on romhacking.net though. I'm not sure which of the two is better. Amazing that it is generally accepted that the legit translation is considered the worst.

Eh, I wouldn't read too much into that. There's a pretty significant group people who prefer terrible translations of Japanese media. You can't really be certain unless you do some heavy digging into differences and make up your own mind.

ChaosArgate posted:

Given the PS1 version came out at the height of Square's RPG popularity in the west, I would not be shocked if it was a new translation done quickly and cheaply.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Crap. I don't want to get halfway through the RPGe translation just to find out it sucks. Why hasn't someone simply placed the gba translation into the SNES one? Or is that an instance where even the ips patch would be illegal?

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Crap. I don't want to get halfway through the RPGe translation just to find out it sucks. Why hasn't someone simply placed the gba translation into the SNES one? Or is that an instance where even the ips patch would be illegal?

Any translation like that is a derivative work and thus violates copyright if done without authorization. Obviously I wouldn't worry about it, but legal status isn't one of the things holding that back.

Dr. Dos
Aug 5, 2005

YAAAAAAAY!
Five is so much fun and probably my favorite RPG. The Four Job Fiesta event is going on now if you wanted to try that https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3820741

I only played maybe halfway through it before trying a fiesta and it's generally not some huge challenge unless you attempt some of the weirder run categories.

I'm surprised Square said it was too difficult for why they didn't localize it originally, even without knowing specific ways to cheese bosses I think playing through with all the jobs open would make it incredibly easy just by having a white mage and something like knight or samurai for high damage. It also feels very fast paced storywise like a Saturday morning cartoon which I think would've been really appealing to kids in the SNES era.

Dr. Spitesworth
Dec 31, 2007
Yoink.
My understanding is that the PS1 translation of FFV came from a script originally slated for the abortive PC adaptation of the game in the mid-to-late ’90s. That port obviously never happened, but supposedly they salvaged its localized script, and clearly didn't bother to do any polishing.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

I vaguely recall they had planned to localize FFV as "Final Fantasy Extreme" - the hardcore role-players alternative to Final Fantasy II (ignoring the non-Easy Type variant of FFIV I guess), compared to how Mystic Quest was the novice role-player's alternative.

It's arguably for the best that we didn't go down that road in the end, I suppose.

Anyway, chalk me into the "bought FFV, got decently far into it, has stagnated for a year" box, as well. Not helped by my copy being kinda finicky and not wanting to work half the time - I think that's finally past, but for the first couple of months, if I hadn't just applied a fresh layer of rubbing alcohol to the contacts, the game would not display the Nintendo logo on the BIOS screen, would freeze during the Square Enix logo, or one time it bugged out all the graphics and audio during the added Mode 7 intro, which I understandably didn't let proceed very far. I wasn't even noticeably wiping off any dirt when applying the alcohol!

On the subject of SNES Final Fantasys, is there a quick and easy way to identify whether or not my copy of Final Fantasy III (i.e.: FFVI) is 1.0 or 1.1, without risking my saves by attempting Relm's Sketch bug? The only suggestion I'd seen was to check the indentation on the backside of the cartridge, near the word "IMPORTANT", and see what came up; mine says 00, which is allegedly 1.0 (whereas having a letter at the end is usually a good indication of 1.1, and some people have 07 which means... I'm not sure which version it means, actually). I dunno, I kind of want the version that wouldn't potentially screw up my save data if I used one of the characters in the game (even if I recall not using Relm much in the GBA version when I tried getting through that in 2006/2007).

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

I'm highly dubious of any claims of a Final Fantasy having an unofficial translation that's better than certain official versions, with possible exceptions for Final Fantasy 7 (especially non-English versions) and MAYBE 8, but I'm not aware of any actual translation patches for 8.

Final Fantasy V got a pretty polished translation for GBA (in English, plus on the Euro version there's also French, German, Italian and Spanish) and iOS (those languages plus Russian, Chinese, Korean and Thai), in all cases there isn't much that can be fixed/improved from those translations without some pretty serious executive decisions that SE intentionally didn't take.

The iOS version has weird clashing styles from the HDification of the game, so the GBA version's graphics are a bit more consistent, I think the translation is otherwise the same.

Most of the time the SNES version has restrictive text boxes or even ROM size. I know when I tried to put the FF6 "good" GBA translation into the SNES version it seemed somewhat impossible even when expanding the ROMsize to 4 megabytes (from 3), a properly-done RPG script is extremely heavy.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

This is me with all RPGs that aren't Chrono Trigger or Mario RPG.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Zaphod42 posted:

This is me with all RPGs that aren't Crystalis.

Which I play and beat in one sitting about once or twice a year.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Zaphod42 posted:

This is why I find Tales games to be easily pick-up-and-play. They all have some kind of in-depth diary of events and characters to catch you up. My short but growing list of "mandated RPG features"
1. Save anywhere
2. Monsters that die in one-hit should either be auto-defeated or run away
3. Recap my adventure somewhere
4. All cutscenes should be skippable
5. All text should be instant

Console Role Player
Sep 15, 2007

Snooch to the Gooch
With all the chat about FFV recently, I have a question about the GBA version.

I have a copy with a bug where it makes saving the game almost impossible. Whenever I try to save the game it comes back with an error message that reads 'data corrupt' or something like that. What I would have to do is back in and out of the menus several times and keep my fingers crossed, hoping eventually for a save to stick. The thing is it seems to effect only certain save slots in the game. I'd save to slot 1, and eventually slot 1 would glitch, so I'd move my save to slot 2. Eventually slot 2 would glitch so I'd move to slot 3. Finally, all 4 save slots eventually glitched.

It goes without saying, but this problem makes playing a VERY fun game a HUGE pain in the rear end.

I've researched this problem online and other communities have noted that this is common with chinese bootleg releases of the game. Here's the catch though: I bought this game from a GameStop sealed and new, probably on the very day it was originally released. I've even opened up the cartridge to compare the PCB to known fakes and going by everything I've seen the game appears to be genuine.

I guess I'm asking if there's anyway to repair my copy. Will replacing the battery solve it, or is the problem deeper than that? Should I just give up and hunt down another copy? Is it even possible that GameStop sold me a sealed fake complete with the box and everything? Has anyone else here experienced something similar to this?

Thanks for the replies, even if it's an answer I don't want to hear.

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

I FUCK LINEN IN MY SPARE TIME!
Grimey Drawer

azurite posted:

Yes, the Retrovision cables convert RGB to component. Just a heads up, in case you're not aware: Even though the Saturn and Genesis video connectors look roughly similar, they won't fit in one another. Whoops, you said Genesis 1. They look nowhere near similar.

Another warning: You might spend more money in the long run on Retrovision cables and have less flexibility on what converters or even TVs you can use. SCART cables will carry the raw :rgb: signal to whatever conversion method you prefer (or none at all, depending). With Genesis or Saturn, there's still no modding necessary.

The part that irks me is that so many 3rd party SCART cables for classic systems anymore seem to be garbage. I've been building an RGB setup for some classic systems (including a modded N64) and I had to put ferrite cores on the drat things to minimize analog interference.

Those retrovision cables look like they're gonna be my saving grace if I can get an order in.

ProjektorBoy fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Jun 23, 2017

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Zaphod42 posted:

So many RPG's half done with the intention of finishing them someday. Someday... :allears:

Legitimately trying to finish a few this summer, BTW. I'm still playing M&M1, too, I'm just grinding a lot of Wyverns because I'm strong enough to take out mid-level groups but not strong enough for high level groups and so fighting to clean out dungeons properly isn't really an option still.

I've been getting kind of tempted to make my own M&M1 style RPG. I'm playing and I'm going, "I could knock together a basic engine in a couple of days. Then it's just about populating it with all the cool stuff." I probably shouldn't, though.

Console Role Player posted:

I guess I'm asking if there's anyway to repair my copy. Will replacing the battery solve it, or is the problem deeper than that? Should I just give up and hunt down another copy? Is it even possible that GameStop sold me a sealed fake complete with the box and everything? Has anyone else here experienced something similar to this?

Thanks for the replies, even if it's an answer I don't want to hear.

First, I am not an expert. I am, however, an amateur with just enough knowledge that I can hurt myself (though by the end of the year, I'll have enough knowledge to do some real damage!). Without knowing the ins and outs of the FFV saving method on GBA, it really sounds like there's a damaged ram chip. What's likely happening is that when it writes some of the bits, there's a chance that they'll flip the wrong way. Not enough for it to happen everytime and they seem to do some kind of checksum to validate the data after it's been written, but enough that it's failing on you. If this is the case, there's no reasonable way for you to save the cart. It's not impossible for an expert to do something, but it's the kind of thing that isn't worth the effort.

That said, it's not impossible that this can be caused by a faulty battery. Replacing a battery is cheap and something you can do easily so there's no harm in giving it a try. Just let the cart sit for about five or ten minutes after you pull the old battery to try to flush the existing memory.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

The HD version is ugly and I think the PC version is a bad Android wrapper that doesn't (or didn't) run too well

I just bought FFV in the steam sale, so I'll be able to give my 2c on this shortly.

e: Well, it's kinda crap. There are some redeeming qualities (the enemy sprites are very nice, being able to move diagonally, decent spell effects, no complaints on the translation from the little I played), but the backgrounds are poorly done (some pieces look good, others garbage, and everything looks kinda pasted together), the text has no shading or aliasing from what I can tell, Amano's art portraits contrast greatly with the kawaii character sprites, and I was completely unable to remap the controls. On top of that, and probably my own personal deal-breaker, the whole thing runs at 30fps.

There's no way I'd buy the other two SFC ports now, and I'm highly considering refunding this one.

Ofecks fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Jun 24, 2017

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Allen Wren posted:

This is me with all RPGs that aren't Crystalis.

Which I play and beat in one sitting about once or twice a year.

Is Crystalis that short? I picked it up recently and played it for a few hours before I got bored of the grind and put it down again.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Mak0rz posted:

Is Crystalis that short? I picked it up recently and played it for a few hours before I got bored of the grind and put it down again.

If you know what you're doing it's definitely doable in one sitting. Totally random guess like 5-6 hours of casual play? There are a few elements which are annoying if you're going in blind, though, like if you're underleveled at a boss (which is likely) you straight-up can't do damage to them and have to die, and I think some more obtuse "puzzle" elements.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Wild Arms 2 is rad and the Liz character is one of the most weirdly written characters I've ever seen , largely because of how haphazard the translation is. But I imagine there was a strange character created originally, just filtered through the wild rear end WA2 localization it becomes kinda next level

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

univbee posted:

If you know what you're doing it's definitely doable in one sitting. Totally random guess like 5-6 hours of casual play? There are a few elements which are annoying if you're going in blind, though, like if you're underleveled at a boss (which is likely) you straight-up can't do damage to them and have to die, and I think some more obtuse "puzzle" elements.

I beat the bug boss in the poison forest and then went to some snowy mountain and that's about as far as I got. The game was a bit fun, but I think the lack of direction and constantly respawning mooks got to me after a while.

Anyway on the topic of old RPGs: does Morrowind count for the purposes of this thread? Because I'm currently playing that for the first time ever and am actually having a lot of fun.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

In Training posted:

Wild Arms 2 is rad and the Liz character is one of the most weirdly written characters I've ever seen , largely because of how haphazard the translation is. But I imagine there was a strange character created originally, just filtered through the wild rear end WA2 localization it becomes kinda next level

I really want to check out the Japanese Wild Arms 2 because after playing 3 I'm pretty sure the translation is okay and that the series is just nonsensical.

Console Role Player
Sep 15, 2007

Snooch to the Gooch

Random Stranger posted:

That said, it's not impossible that this can be caused by a faulty battery. Replacing a battery is cheap and something you can do easily so there's no harm in giving it a try. Just let the cart sit for about five or ten minutes after you pull the old battery to try to flush the existing memory.

Thanks for the insight and advice. Next time I have my tools out I'll give it a try.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

In Training posted:

It's because his dialogue is supposed to be a manzai comedy act with whoever he's speaking to, and they translated everything literally instead of it being a bunch of puns and jokes and so you have nonsense.

• Locked thread