Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Junior Jr.
Oct 4, 2014

by sebmojo
Buglord
I just downloaded Prey yesterday and was so geared up to play it...then there was a loving CryEngine error the moment I started playing! :negative:

How the gently caress do I fix this!?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Dr. Angela Ziegler posted:

Cheap Oddball Games you might have not known about!
The Dweller - 50¢. Archaeologists are going deeper into a cave to explore its secrets. YOU are the cave spirit! Crush the archaeologists by possessing a rock and falling on them! A cute little puzzle game where you get to scare Indiana Jones into running off a cliff. It's 50¢. Buy this game!

Dweller really is great--if you like puzzlers, at fifty cents there's really no excuse not to buy. Lot of levels with some real head-scratcher puzzles. It also has a nice artstyle.

EightDeer
Dec 2, 2011

If I loved Uplink to death, what's the next best thing? I've been looking at Hacker Evolution and Hacknet, but I don't know if they're any good.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

I always hear the same ol spiel about sales being worse, so I just downloaded the peak sale discounts and listed out which ones are same, which are actually best new sale % discount, and which ones are worse % discount (<5% or >5% difference).

I guess one of the issues with worse or even same, is that perhaps the base price has dropped so they are cheaper but you really just don't know. If there was an easy way to get lowest historical price of most Steam games I'd go with that but w/e I didn't want to put in more than 5 minutes of effort.

e: I was lazy with the limited subset of games, here is complete list (i.e. any game that is on sale >10%, rating >80% = 2311 games sample). The previous graph only had 533 games since I was limiting it more.

Xaris fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Jun 23, 2017

dromal phrenia
Feb 22, 2004

Palpek posted:

More people should buy Sherlock Holmes: Crimes and Punishments which is the greatest detective game ever made and lets you freely accuse suspects and then choose if you want to go the official route or something more ambiguous. It's an amazing game when it comes to player choice and gathering evidence.
i got this for "free" from PS+ and im pretty sure it bugged out really early on from a holographic ship puzzle so :confused:

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

The Walrus posted:

the story atmosphere and level design are all top notch. combat is perfunctory or bad depending on who you ask. so yes very system shock. it has 0451 also.

Bremen posted:

Yes, Prey is a lovingly crafted homage to System Shock 2 and one of, if not the best, games released this year.

Thanks this is really helpful. I'm adding too many games to my wish list now...

And I just saw Shadow of Mordor is only 5 bucks? Is it worth it? I've been hesitating on it because it seems like it's just "an Arkham game but in Middle Earth" and that seems kinda :geno: to me.

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Jim's now a Blind Cave Salamander!

I thought Ori wasn't as filling as Hollow Knight, but I've seen people fall on either side of that opinion.

dromal phrenia
Feb 22, 2004

axeil posted:

Thanks this is really helpful. I'm adding too many games to my wish list now...

And I just saw Shadow of Mordor is only 5 bucks? Is it worth it? I've been hesitating on it because it seems like it's just "an Arkham game but in Middle Earth" and that seems kinda :geno: to me.

Consensus on SoM from what I've seen is that it's very fun if you like to make your own fun. Just trying to play the game as well as possible, never die, kill things in the most efficient / effortless way and it's pretty bland. But if you intentionally avoid going for the most overpowered options, take full advantage of loving around with the nemesis system, brand orcs once it's available and maybe even intentionally die (or at least play risky) you get a lot of fun.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

dromal phrenia posted:

Consensus on SoM from what I've seen is that it's very fun if you like to make your own fun. Just trying to play the game as well as possible, never die, kill things in the most efficient / effortless way and it's pretty bland. But if you intentionally avoid going for the most overpowered options, take full advantage of loving around with the nemesis system, brand orcs once it's available and maybe even intentionally die (or at least play risky) you get a lot of fun.

Hmm...doesn't sound like something I'd enjoy as I always end up going for ~*MAXIMUM EFFICIENCY*~ when I play games and I can't help myself to not do it. Thanks for the opinion!

Looking like my list is going to be:

Salt & Sanctuary
Ori and the Blind Forest
Antichamber
FF6
Hollow Knight
NieR:Automata
Prey
SOMA

Thanks everyone for helping out, I don't keep nearly as up to date on this stuff as I used to.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Dr. Angela Ziegler posted:

That's interesting because Sherlock Holmes vs Jack the Ripper was a loving atrocity, and I assumed they were from the same developer who's put out like 8 Sherlock games in the same series.

Anyone know anything about Narcosis? If VR existing means games will be made for that gimmicky poo poo instead of for normal well-adjusted, cool, smart and above-average-height gamers like the rest of us, then VR can die in a fire.
Crimes and Punishments is from a completely different era. It's truly innovative and fantastically pulled off.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

axeil posted:

It is good and fun. Combat is heavily influenced by the Arkham games in a good way. The open world stuff is fairly generic in terms of collectibles, towers, story missions and side quests with a main character getting an increasing amount of moves and gadgets (like loads of them) tending towards being pretty overpowered towards the end. But... it's a fairly novel setting for games of this type which makes it feel fairly refreshing and different enough to stand out. All that aside, it's an absolutely top notch orc murder simulator. If you think you *might* like it you probably won't feel like you've wasted $5.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

axeil posted:

It's an Arkham game in Middle Earth. The only thing that makes it at all unique are the named enemies but I think I played more of Mad Max than SoM because at least the former was pretty.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Gravy Jones posted:

It is good and fun. Combat is heavily influenced by the Arkham games in a good way. The open world stuff is fairly generic in terms of collectibles, towers, story missions and side quests with a main character getting an increasing amount of moves and gadgets (like loads of them) tending towards being pretty overpowered towards the end. But... it's a fairly novel setting for games of this type which makes it feel fairly refreshing and different enough to stand out. All that aside, it's an absolutely top notch orc murder simulator. If you think you *might* like it you probably won't feel like you've wasted $5.

Thanks for the additional opinion. While it does seem interesting, it seems to be screaming to me "this is a game you will buy and never play" and I'm trying to cut down on that. My Steam backlog is down to only around 5-10 games now, which I think is a reasonable amount.

I still have games from the Potato Sack for Portal 2 I've never played. I have no idea if I'll ever play them at this point...

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Shadow of Mordor is the "play til you're bored" variety of open world with one interesting gimmick and the rest pretty standard for the genre. You'll get some fun out of it particularly once you reach the second map and can start mind controlling orcs but the main campaign and protagonist are not very interesting so it's unlikely you'll ever finish the game.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.

EightDeer posted:

If I loved Uplink to death, what's the next best thing? I've been looking at Hacker Evolution and Hacknet, but I don't know if they're any good.

There are a few different Hacker Evolution games and I'm not totally sure what the difference is, although it doesn't seem significant. There's the original, then Duality which seems like an upgraded version, and then something currently in Early Access. I can only tell you about Duality, specifically that it's absolutely dreadful and you should avoid it at all costs. The base gameplay is boring and tedious and the levels are linear and require trial-and-error where the margins for victory are so thin that each error generally means restarting the level. You basically have to memorize the correct, linear sequence of actions through repeated failure.

Honestly it's one of the worst games I've played and I have no faith that the other titles in the series are any different.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

dromal phrenia posted:

Also I don't know if anyone plays it anymore but Humble Bundle has Killing Floor for FREE and doesn't require another purchase to get it.

Killing Floor 2 is 50% off, which is identical to Steam's sale so I don't know why they bothered

if they are the same price you should buy the humble one since they donate to charity

beer_war
Mar 10, 2005

EightDeer posted:

Hacknet is pretty loving great.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.

axeil posted:

Stanley Parable, The Beginner's Guide or Pony Island are both quick and very experimental/meta.

Zetsubou-san posted:

Ossuary - $3.99 (-60%) - surreal puzzle adventure game
NaissanceE - $3.74 (-75%) - very atmospheric exploration game, a great experience
McPixel - $0.99 (-80%) - stop the bomb exploding! You have 20 seconds!
Bad Mojo Redux - $0.59 (-90%) - mid 90's FMV adventure game inspired by Kafka

Thanks for these by the way, I've already played Stanley, Pony Island and McPixel but will take a look at the others. NaissanceE seems closest to what I'm looking for.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 46 hours!

Zetsubou-san posted:

Ossuary - $3.99 (-60%) - surreal puzzle adventure game
NaissanceE - $3.74 (-75%) - very atmospheric exploration game, a great experience
McPixel - $0.99 (-80%) - stop the bomb exploding! You have 20 seconds!
Bad Mojo Redux - $0.59 (-90%) - mid 90's FMV adventure game inspired by Kafka

On phone. Naissance is that cool looking game where you explore these almost fractal gray spaces, right? Ive been keeping my eye on it for years and i like walkarounds but its price always put me off, is there anything more to it than just looking at cool stuff?

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."

axeil posted:

I saw a review that said Prey felt like a modern System Shock 2. Is that accurate? The atmosphere in System Shock 2 was really good but the story also helped engage me and I haven't heard anything about Prey's story so I don't want to consider it if the story is pretty meh.

Yes. It's the spiritual sequel we should have gotten with Bioshock, but didn't.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

People who liked Stanley Parable and Beginner's Guide should give Jazzpunk a try. It's hilarious.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Wait a minute you mean to tell me whats on sale on Steam now is it for the whole sale? RE7 still $48? WOOOOOO WOOP DEE DOO gently caress OFF GABE

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

PlushCow posted:

Does anyone have some thoughts on Divinity: Dragon Commander,

A game that sounds great on paper and has giggle-fun sounding elements like marrying a skeleton but is completely undermined by the terrible RTS battles that form the core engagement of the game. The rpg and Risk strategic map makes the game seem cool for 30 minutes but then you do a battle and realize how broken and dull it is and start reaching for the uninstall button.

Smappdi
Oct 12, 2004

EVERSPACE looks beautiful and asks the question, "how much do you like dogfighting in space? because that's literally all we've got"

"roguelike elements" means "there are 3-5 bad guys guarding this destructible thing, maybe there are 0-10 neutral guys guarding a freighter, maybe you find a weapon that doesn't really feel too different from any other weapon you got so far"

when you die, you get to buy skill upgrades that don't feel like they add much to your pilot, OR you can save your pennies for a new ships that don't really feel that different from your standard ship either

the addition of a button that pauses the game then hides everything (but not the game logo) just nails the fact that the developers realized that they have a very pretty game with one pretty good trick, but not much else

guess what I'm saying is maybe don't buy it, though I bet it looks sexy in VR, but hey if you like space dogfighting ymmv

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

codo27 posted:

Wait a minute you mean to tell me whats on sale on Steam now is it for the whole sale? RE7 still $48? WOOOOOO WOOP DEE DOO gently caress OFF GABE
capcom set that price and they've not given a gently caress about deep discounts for a long time (even in the flash deal era)

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Does anyone have thoughts on Mortal Kombat X? Bundlestars has Xl for a little under $10. I liked Mortal Kombat 2009 and thought Injustice was fun. I know there was some controversy or complaints about how Warner bros didn't support it somehow but does the core game actually work fine?

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

ArfJason posted:

On phone. Naissance is that cool looking game where you explore these almost fractal gray spaces, right? Ive been keeping my eye on it for years and i like walkarounds but its price always put me off, is there anything more to it than just looking at cool stuff?

Not really, no. The real appeal of NaissanceE is wandering around huge, alien landscapes that don't actually stop you from wandering off into the horizon. About half the game takes place in these weird subterranean cities in enormous caverns, and when you arrive you'll see all these bright lights super far off in the distance. As you explore you'll realize that's not just decoration, that's your destination. It's pure atmosphere but the way it makes you feel like you can go anywhere despite being a pretty linear walking sim is impressive.

The other thing is that's only about half the game, and the other half is solving puzzles in pretty abstract spaces. Some of the puzzles are pretty cool, but others aren't and there's a SUPER aggravating one in a monochromatic void with flickering platforms that about drove me nuts. It's a testament to how good the atmosphere is in the rest of the game that I ever got past that part, but I would say it's worth it if you want to experience some incredible level design.

Fortuitous Bumble
Jan 5, 2007

Ofecks posted:

gently caress, I missed this last page. Crimzon Clover and Ikaruga are indeed good choices, but I also highly recommend CAVE's games - Mushihimesama, Deathsmiles, and DoDonPachi Resurrection. They could definitely use the sales.

Blue Revolver is a lot of fun too, and has a neat art style. I felt like it was easier to get into than Mushihimesama, probably not as easy as Deathsmiles

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Zachack posted:

Does anyone have thoughts on Mortal Kombat X? Bundlestars has Xl for a little under $10. I liked Mortal Kombat 2009 and thought Injustice was fun. I know there was some controversy or complaints about how Warner bros didn't support it somehow but does the core game actually work fine?

I'm gonna say you will probably have 0 people to play with online. The way it is on PC. I bought it when it was new cause I'm a MK fanatic and though I never stuck with it much cause I didn't like it (also was a fan of 9) there was no playerbase. Cant see it being much different now.

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

EightDeer posted:

Hacknet is basically a love-letter to uplink, with the grinding removed. It's extremely good and cool. Maybe wait on the DLC content until you've finished the game - it's very good, but more difficult and involved than the base game.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Zachack posted:

MKX is cool. I would say it's a game you should download with your finger on the Steam Refund button because for some people the PC port runs horribly. I never experienced any of those problems though and easily got 50+ hours of enjoyment mostly through the single player campaign, towers and unlocks. If you've played NRS games before then you already know the basics of combat and their unique style of over the top violence mixed with humor. I don't know how it is online nowadays but it might be difficult to find a game now that everyone has moved onto Injustice 2.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

codo27 posted:

I'm gonna say you will probably have 0 people to play with online. The way it is on PC. I bought it when it was new cause I'm a MK fanatic and though I never stuck with it much cause I didn't like it (also was a fan of 9) there was no playerbase. Cant see it being much different now.

According to Steamcharts it's currently got about 1300 people playing it now which, while not a huge number, still probably makes it one of the most played fighting games on steam.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Mordja posted:

According to Steamcharts it's currently got about 1300 people playing it now which, while not a huge number, still probably makes it one of the most played fighting games on steam.

Or about 4.5 BBNs in Battleborn notation.

markgreyam
Mar 10, 2008

Talk to the mittens.

Ofecks posted:

gently caress, I missed this last page. Crimzon Clover and Ikaruga are indeed good choices, but I also highly recommend CAVE's games - Mushihimesama, Deathsmiles, and DoDonPachi Resurrection. They could definitely use the sales.

Everyone needs to buy everything mentioned after the word CAVE in that sentence (although Crimzon Clover is loving amazing as well), because with each CAVE game sale I tell myself that we get closer and closer to a timeline in which Ibara is available on Steam. Delirium I know but a shoot-em up geek can dream can't he.

Dodoman posted:

Between Redout and Formula Fusion which is better if one would only be playing against the AI?

The both have demos which allow you to race against AI so you should try them both, especially because Formula Fusion is a bit ... so-so, and while Redout is super awesome it doesn't quite feel like a Wipeout game mechanically, not that you were making specific reference to Wipeout but let's face it, it was implied.

Bitching time; how is Tales of Berseria, released in January, only getting a 40% discount while Dragon Quest Heroes 2, released 2 months ago, already 33% off ... I was really hoping that Berseria would fit within my budget grumble grumble

exquisite tea posted:

MKX is cool. I would say it's a game you should download with your finger on the Steam Refund button because for some people the PC port runs horribly.

I was under the impression the performance issues were fixed?

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Mordja posted:

Shut up I dont wanna have to buy the DLC. gently caress. I miss MK. But this game, I mean instead of really awful original new characters (wait, theres a few of those too), you get really awful half assed "kids of existing people" new characters. Then I go to dominate with Raiden and you got this street fighter-esque 3 modes per character poo poo so you only have 1/3 of your moves. I dunno. I've put a billion hours into MK2 and a fair amount into MK9 and various others over the years but I just didn't wanna stick with this one.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

codo27 posted:

Shut up I dont wanna have to buy the DLC. gently caress. I miss MK. But this game, I mean instead of really awful original new characters (wait, theres a few of those too), you get really awful half assed "kids of existing people" new characters. Then I go to dominate with Raiden and you got this street fighter-esque 3 modes per character poo poo so you only have 1/3 of your moves. I dunno. I've put a billion hours into MK2 and a fair amount into MK9 and various others over the years but I just didn't wanna stick with this one.

All the Kombat Kids are unique and awesome additions to the MK roster in terms of both character and moveset.

Jason, Predator and w/e I could do without but they're DLC.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

there seems to be some issue with Steam right now because I'm not getting cards from the discovery queue or from passing $10, I'm sure it'll get resolved

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

Xaris posted:

I always hear the same ol spiel about sales being worse, so I just downloaded the peak sale discounts and listed out which ones are same, which are actually best new sale % discount, and which ones are worse % discount (<5% or >5% difference).

I guess one of the issues with worse or even same, is that perhaps the base price has dropped so they are cheaper but you really just don't know. If there was an easy way to get lowest historical price of most Steam games I'd go with that but w/e I didn't want to put in more than 5 minutes of effort.

We used to have publisher packs and regional gifting, which made things a lot cheaper.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

codo27 posted:

It's $36 in the US (40% off).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Yeah but its fuckin 48 maple syrup dollary-doos up here

• Locked thread