Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Holyshoot posted:

Don't forget savage coil gave no gear just titles. I'm pretty sure theres more people in the "i want gear for doing this hard rear end poo poo as well as the challenge" camp then the "i play only for the challenge and NOTHING ELSE!". Granted the clear rate would still be super low but it probably would have been a bit higher if they had actual gear tied to savage coil.

I wonder if there would have been as much of a shitstorm if T9S dropped 125 weapons as there was when relaunched diadem was stillborne with +10 ilevel weapons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

Jinh posted:

I didn't mind that so much since it's sorta like we're getting each town ready to assist with their uprisings as we go, solving obvious problems and leaving every town in better shape than we found it. That is a weird point to open up the quests though, I see what you mean.

Yeah it was the timing that struck me as odd, not the quests themselves. Like the bad guys were patiently waiting over the hill for me to finish these sidequests before ducking behind cover.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Oh, honestly, I saw people complaining about the main plot earlier and by and large I understand why people were cooler on it than HW but I have to admit I forgave a lot because this was basically Suikoden 6: Final Fantasy XIV, almost bluntly so. They did a good job with the character beats and the general "liberation" tone and the feeling that you're building up an army that I forgave the actual core plot being pretty basic. It scratched my itch for a Suikoden game better than 3 of the last 4 Suikoden games so I'll excuse a lot for that. I was genuinely pleased for the entire expansion.

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

I wouldn't be tremendously shocked to see Excog get a potency boost because as it stands "50 more potency but on a longer cooldown than Lustrate" is a bit much for a skill whose only purpose seems to give you an option to not sit on an Aetherstack.

Not to mention it can /fall off/ without activating. I was hoping it would feel like Guardian Spirit in a way (WoW holy priest ability), but in the end the potency is small enough that when a tank is taking hits you can actually miss it going off.

nuru fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Jun 23, 2017

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

ImpAtom posted:

Oh, honestly, I saw people complaining about the main plot earlier and by and large I understand why people were cooler on it than HW but I have to admit I forgave a lot because this was basically Suikoden 6: Final Fantasy XIV, almost bluntly so. They did a good job with the character beats and the general "liberation" tone and the feeling that you're building up an army that I forgave the actual core plot being pretty basic. It scratched my itch for a Suikoden game better than 3 of the last 4 Suikoden games so I'll excuse a lot for that. I was genuinely pleased for the entire expansion.

Suikoden 5 was pretty good. though 2 is king and probably the best JRPG ever made. I got some serious Grasslands vibes from the Steppe too.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
I think while the story of SB is pretty basic I'd put it just ahead of HE because it was about people and things set up in ARR and not 40 hours of loving DRAGONS with a twist of loving CHURCH at the end

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!
FFXIV no clip documentary is out! Way to go Danny!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xs0yQKI7Yw4

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Verranicus posted:

Suikoden 5 was pretty good. though 2 is king and probably the best JRPG ever made. I got some serious Grasslands vibes from the Steppe too.

Suikoden 5 was the good one I was thinking of there. (I was counting the DS and PSP Suikodens.)

By and large though it wasn't very morally complex and the villain was Just Luca Blight but honestly that isn't a bad thing. After an entire expansion of Everything Is lovely it was really satisfying. I also admit though that I fully expect either the 4.x plots or the next expansion to be The Garleans And Ascians gently caress Everything Right In The Face because as it stands now things are almost too good in Eorzea and that can't last.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

ImpAtom posted:

Suikoden 5 was the good one I was thinking of there. (I was counting the DS and PSP Suikodens.)

By and large though it wasn't very morally complex and the villain was Just Luca Blight but honestly that isn't a bad thing. After an entire expansion of Everything Is lovely it was really satisfying. I also admit though that I fully expect either the 4.x plots or the next expansion to be The Garleans And Ascians gently caress Everything Right In The Face because as it stands now things are almost too good in Eorzea and that can't last.

Given that The Garleans and making cyber new types on the advice of Ascians and these artificial echo powers have black light/darkness associated with them as opposed to the white light out echo has I'm pretty sure Garlemeld and the Ascians are soon going to be one and the same.

Pikavangelist
Nov 9, 2016

There is no God but Arceus
And Pikachu is His prophet

SonicRulez posted:

I figure it's because, much like Odin, Bahamut was already really drat hard. To buff him would be to court death.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Couple more newbie questions. I just finished my first dungeon of the game with a patient group that helped me figure out the chat system and whatnot, and the tank chided me for keeping him above 75% rather than just above 0. Is overhealing a big deal in this game?

Also, what are player commendations and what are they for? I got three of them at the end of the dungeon and am not sure why - I got a bubble popping up asking if I wanted to give any to the party, but everyone dropped group first.

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

Cythereal posted:

Couple more newbie questions. I just finished my first dungeon of the game with a patient group that helped me figure out the chat system and whatnot, and the tank chided me for keeping him above 75% rather than just above 0. Is overhealing a big deal in this game?

Also, what are player commendations and what are they for? I got three of them at the end of the dungeon and am not sure why - I got a bubble popping up asking if I wanted to give any to the party, but everyone dropped group first.

Your job as a healer is really to keep everyone alive, not keep everyone at full health. As you learn how much damage mobs do in a dungeon / encounter you'll find you have a lot of time to do other things like cast offensive spells. People regenerate health rapidly between pulls, so often you don't even need to heal people if they're not directly in danger. On top of that, healing as well as overhealing does generate enmity.

Commendations are just a gold star to someone you felt was the MVP. At certain numbers of commendations people get rewards like titles, mounts, and glamour gear. None of it is particularly interesting, but it's basically a warm fuzzy you can hand out.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

nuru posted:

Your job as a healer is really to keep everyone alive, not keep everyone at full health. As you learn how much damage mobs do in a dungeon / encounter you'll find you have a lot of time to do other things like cast offensive spells. People regenerate health rapidly between pulls, so often you don't even need to heal people if they're not directly in danger. On top of that, healing as well as overhealing does generate enmity.

Commendations are just a gold star to someone you felt was the MVP. At certain numbers of commendations people get rewards like titles, mounts, and glamour gear. None of it is particularly interesting, but it's basically a warm fuzzy you can hand out.

Ah. Would definitely have given a commendation to the tank for being patient explaining things to me.

No stranger to MMO healing, just learning FF14's quirks.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

All the commendations I give out are ironic.

Claytor
Dec 5, 2011
I'm trying to level Dark Knight, and from this I've come to the conclusion that either I am terrible or Dark Knight is terrible. Does anyone have any advice for post-3.0 Dark Knight leveling, or should I find another class?

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Cythereal posted:

Yes. Unlike in most other mmo's, overhealing generates the same threat it would have if it had actually healed anything so all your overheal is just making the tanks life difficult for no benefit.

Not that a tank should be having threat problems with overhealing assuming you aren't doing anything asinine like spamming a group heal non-stop anyway.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

General in FFXIV you're going to want to be DPSing unless you need to heal. When and where you can DPS will be something you have to figure out with practice but all of the classes get an 'emergency button' that is an instant relatively high potency heal among other things so you have a lot of leeway unless you're doing cutting-edge content.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Harrow posted:

Is RDM really so strong that things need to be buffed to its level? I thought the "rankings" or whatever showed it solidly in the middle, which is probably exactly where it ought to be.

RDM is currently the weakest of the caster dps and about 5-6th overall. It does have some utility though so it's fine, though our AoE is seriously bad (and really boring) compared to the AoE powerhouses like BLM and SAM.

If RDM looks supwr strong now that's because it's easy. Like, really easy, and transparently so. Just look at their potencies - assuming you have Jolt 2 your lowest potency single target spell is 230. Even if you do nothing beyond spamming Jolt 2 your average potency will be 230. This is silly, but then let's assume you aren't functionally dead and instead cast Jolt 2 > Verthunder. You're now doing an average of 275. This is a lot higher than any other class does for that amount of effort, and odds are people are using their oGCD abilities at least SOME of the time. Obviously this is a suboptimal rotation, but rdm probably has the smallest gap between floor and ceiling of any of the jobs right now.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Failboattootoot posted:

Yes. Unlike in most other mmo's, overhealing generates the same threat it would have if it had actually healed anything so all your overheal is just making the tanks life difficult for no benefit.

Not that a tank should be having threat problems with overhealing assuming you aren't doing anything asinine like spamming a group heal non-stop anyway.

Ah, I see. I was just hitting cure when the tank dropped to around 75% to top him back up. Coming mainly from WoW, I'm not used to threat being a thing anymore.

ImpAtom posted:

General in FFXIV you're going to want to be DPSing unless you need to heal. When and where you can DPS will be something you have to figure out with practice but all of the classes get an 'emergency button' that is an instant relatively high potency heal among other things so you have a lot of leeway unless you're doing cutting-edge content.

Fair enough, and that's what I was doing. Healing as needed, throwing rocks at people the rest of the time.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

SKULL.GIF posted:

All the commendations I give out are ironic.

I always give commendations to the other dps unless they're really awful or the tank/healer does something phenomenal.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

:perfect:

KoB
May 1, 2009

Cythereal posted:

Ah, I see. I was just hitting cure when the tank dropped to around 75% to top him back up. Coming mainly from WoW, I'm not used to threat being a thing anymore.

Fair enough, and that's what I was doing. Healing as needed, throwing rocks at people the rest of the time.

Yeah, the idea is to keep people alive enough, and the time you save can be spent dealing damage.

If the fight is over more quickly, you take less damage after all.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Basically if people aren't dead, the healer is doing their job fine. With the changes to Cleric Stance healers have even fewer excuses to not DPS.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Countblanc posted:

RDM is currently the weakest of the caster dps and about 5-6th overall. It does have some utility though so it's fine, though our AoE is seriously bad (and really boring) compared to the AoE powerhouses like BLM and SAM.

Yeah, if there's anything that ends up pushing me to BLM eventually, it'll be the AoE. RDM AoE is so drat boring. It needs a little nuance, y'know? Even past the pre-52 "all you can do is spam Scatter" part (which, really, BLM has a long stretch of "all you can do is spam Fire II until you need to regenerate MP" anyway), it's still pretty much just that, punctuated with brief moments of "dash in and spam something different a few times." It helps that Contre Sixte is maybe my favorite skill animation in the game, but I'm using that for single-target, too, so it's not like it's something special and cool that RDM AoE has.

Meanwhile, as a BLM, you set up Thunder IV, get yourself some Umbral Hearts, swap to Astral Fire, and go nuts with Fire II, throwing out Foul when you have Polyglot and Flare when you're almost out of MP. And then if Triplecast is up, you can instead just blast the hell out of everything with Flare -> Flare -> Convert -> Flare, or replace Convert and Flare with a Foul if you've got a Polyglot to use, and while there's not a ton of nuance to that it looks like it has to be so satisfying.

Countblanc posted:

If RDM looks supwr strong now that's because it's easy. Like, really easy, and transparently so. Just look at their potencies - assuming you have Jolt 2 your lowest potency single target spell is 230. Even if you do nothing beyond spamming Jolt 2 your average potency will be 230. This is silly, but then let's assume you aren't functionally dead and instead cast Jolt 2 > Verthunder. You're now doing an average of 275. This is a lot higher than any other class does for that amount of effort, and odds are people are using their oGCD abilities at least SOME of the time. Obviously this is a suboptimal rotation, but rdm probably has the smallest gap between floor and ceiling of any of the jobs right now.

And this is the other thing. Really, I think the way I feel about RDM can best be described as "deeply conflicted." I think it's a really cool job--both in that I think it has a fun and unique rhythm to it, and because its "cool factor" is off the charts. It helps that I've loved Red Mages ever since I first saw that plumed cap in FF1. And I love Vercure and knowing that my ability to dualcast Verraise has better potential to save a party from a wipe than maybe any other job in the game.

But over the long term, once the new job shine wears off, I could see it just feeling kind of braindead to play. There's a bit of nuance, sure. You want to keep your two colored manas just a bit out of balance so you can get the most out of Verflare/Verholy. You want to use Embolden at the right time and in the right place. When you're doing an AoE pull, you can squeeze in an extra Enchanted Moulinet with Manafication. But there isn't a whole lot else there. I appreciate how straightforward it is, I really do--I'm not a fan of complexity for complexity's sake--but I'm not sure I can see myself playing this job for months on end because eventually the few things about it that are really exciting are going to get routine and there isn't much farther to push it.

Red Red Blue
Feb 11, 2007

Countblanc posted:

I always give commendations to the other dps unless they're really awful or the tank/healer does something phenomenal.

I always just give to the best name

Silvergun1000
Sep 17, 2007

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.

Countblanc posted:

I've kind of gotten the impression that RDM abilities don't generate enough mana. I think adding in more opportunities to switch to melee would add a bit more skill to the class and make it a lot more fun as well. That said the utility RDM brings to a group is crazy, so if we take a damage hit to make up for that then I'm fine with that.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Commend ranking:
AST who gives me a lot of balance > healer who kept me up through dumb mistakes > tank/healer doing exceptional job > person with the same job as me > whoever is left by the time I have a chance to commend

Silvergun1000 posted:

I've kind of gotten the impression that RDM abilities don't generate enough mana. I think adding in more opportunities to switch to melee would add a bit more skill to the class and make it a lot more fun as well. That said the utility RDM brings to a group is crazy, so if we take a damage hit to make up for that then I'm fine with that.

There's times where I feel like the mana comes slow, and times where I have more procs then I can use. I don't think I want more frequent melee since there's been more then enough times where I get to 80/80 but can't go in because of mechanics, but can continue casting fairly easily.

Oxyclean fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Jun 23, 2017

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

The only way you should give commendations is by checking ACT at the end.

:getin:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Anyone know about how much Poetics it costs to get a full set of Augmented Shire gear now? I'm thinking about doing BLM after RDM (then I guess SMN afterward just so I can dump all the leveling caster gear :sigh:), and would like to get them off on the right foot. Didn't have enough poetics at the time to do so for RDM.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
1735 left side, 720 right side, 500 for a weapon.

All 260, no upgrades.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

You could just level through pvp so you don't have to worry about gear. :v:

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
Most Ridiculous Glamour > whoever unprompted starts sharing strats before bosses when there's newbie bonus> Other DPS unless they were completely awful=Healer if they pulled a memorable clutch party-saver=The tank if they kept aggro all the way in a below 20 dungeon because seriously, that's hard sometimes!

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Silvergun1000 posted:

I'd enjoy more opportunities to switch to melee, and maybe more to do once I'm in melee. Just the same combo every time is cool, but like I said a few posts ago, once the shine wears off it's just not going to be that interesting anymore. Having another branch of the melee combo, maybe with some sort of alternate effect or an enfeeble or something, would be great.

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

All 260, no upgrades.

If you want to augment, it's just 100 poetics per piece, too, even the weapon.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Harrow posted:

Yeah, if there's anything that ends up pushing me to BLM eventually, it'll be the AoE. RDM AoE is so drat boring. It needs a little nuance, y'know? Even past the pre-52 "all you can do is spam Scatter" part (which, really, BLM has a long stretch of "all you can do is spam Fire II until you need to regenerate MP" anyway), it's still pretty much just that, punctuated with brief moments of "dash in and spam something different a few times." It helps that Contre Sixte is maybe my favorite skill animation in the game, but I'm using that for single-target, too, so it's not like it's something special and cool that RDM AoE has.

Meanwhile, as a BLM, you set up Thunder IV, get yourself some Umbral Hearts, swap to Astral Fire, and go nuts with Fire II, throwing out Foul when you have Polyglot and Flare when you're almost out of MP. And then if Triplecast is up, you can instead just blast the hell out of everything with Flare -> Flare -> Convert -> Flare, or replace Convert and Flare with a Foul if you've got a Polyglot to use, and while there's not a ton of nuance to that it looks like it has to be so satisfying.

And this is the other thing. Really, I think the way I feel about RDM can best be described as "deeply conflicted." I think it's a really cool job--both in that I think it has a fun and unique rhythm to it, and because its "cool factor" is off the charts. It helps that I've loved Red Mages ever since I first saw that plumed cap in FF1. And I love Vercure and knowing that my ability to dualcast Verraise has better potential to save a party from a wipe than maybe any other job in the game.

But over the long term, once the new job shine wears off, I could see it just feeling kind of braindead to play. There's a bit of nuance, sure. You want to keep your two colored manas just a bit out of balance so you can get the most out of Verflare/Verholy. You want to use Embolden at the right time and in the right place. When you're doing an AoE pull, you can squeeze in an extra Enchanted Moulinet with Manafication. But there isn't a whole lot else there. I appreciate how straightforward it is, I really do--I'm not a fan of complexity for complexity's sake--but I'm not sure I can see myself playing this job for months on end because eventually the few things about it that are really exciting are going to get routine and there isn't much farther to push it.

This is my exact feelings on Red Mage but expressed better. I immediately saw the problems with the job once I started it, and recognized it wasn't going to get any better at 70. I really wish the job had more complexity to it. MCH apparently sucks right now for damage but playing them is a lot of fun. SAM is strong but they're also fun to play.

I think it's really important that a job has a high skill ceiling that you can't consistently reach all of the time (either due to personal skill or fight mechanics or both) so you always feel like there's something to strive towards.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

All 260, no upgrades.

Harrow posted:

If you want to augment, it's just 100 poetics per piece, too, even the weapon.
Thanks. Rather more expensive than I thought but not too bad at all.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Since we're kinda talking about it as compared to RDM, how does the BLM rotation (or whatever you want to call it) shake out at 70? Has it changed significantly on the way up there from 60?

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Made some crazy gil last night with gathering, lets gather all day today to make more gil. What does the MB show today? *The prices of literally everything has dropped 40%* :suicide:

E: Maybe I'll just sell tank queues today.

Leal fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Jun 23, 2017

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

:iiaca:

Red Mage is automatic transmission, other jobs are manual shift.

TheRagamuffin
Aug 31, 2008

In Paradox Space, when you cross the line, your nuts are mine.

UHD posted:

I don't usually mind sidequests but they're starting to pop up at ridiculous times.

"Oh poo poo guys, someone's coming, we better hide!" *six sidequests appear out in the open*

I'm a fan of "Outsiders are not welcome here! BEGONE!" *Makes no further remark when you talk to him again for one of 6 or so side quests*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Leal posted:

Made some crazy gil last night with gathering, lets gather all day today to make more gil. What does the MB show today? *The prices of literally everything has dropped 40%* :suicide:

E: Maybe I'll just sell tank queues today.

While climbing the Kugane Tower last night one of the shout chats was primarily a DPS looking to buy a tank to instaqueue with and several tanks trying to extort him.

I got to the top of this tower and I'm not coming down. You can't make me!