Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
qkkl
Jul 1, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Do those demands even satisfy the Geneva Conventions? It's definitely against the conventions to demand a country accept annexation if it doesn't want to be annexed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

RandomPauI posted:

I'd look for an alternate route. Even if the missiles don't start flying the airspace might get closed off.

Any airspace that could be closed off already has been. The flights are already adjusted for that. Personally, I wouldn't stress about it unless she's going to be in Qatar for days/weeks. I'd definitely keep a close eye on the news over the next few days though.

Volkerball fucked around with this message at 09:02 on Jun 23, 2017

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

qkkl posted:

Do those demands even satisfy the Geneva Conventions? It's definitely against the conventions to demand a country accept annexation if it doesn't want to be annexed.

The Geneva Convention deals mostly how war is conducted, not why. As long as KSA don't commit acts of war they are allowed to ask for whatever they wish.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
Guess who wants to stop teaching evolution.

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015

If he actually makes Harun Yahya books part of the curriculum I'm going to die laughing.

CherryCola
Apr 15, 2002

'ahtaj alshifa

too. complicated. for. students.

let me tell you guys what education is for.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

GaussianCopula posted:

The Geneva Convention deals mostly how war is conducted, not why. As long as KSA don't commit acts of war they are allowed to ask for whatever they wish.

It's against the declaration of human rights to hand over people legally residing within your borders against their will to a different country unless pursuing a legitimate non-political and fair criminal trial.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

You guys, I'm starting to think Saudi Arabia is bad. Seriously though, it's super depressing that the US has decided to fully back this supervillain level extortion. The fact that everyone involved is calling it a list of demands, including the US State Department, is still staggering to me. There's no attempt at all to pretend this is anything other than what it is, which is a demand that Qatar must become a vassal state of Saudi Arabia.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Why is so important for SA to close AJ?

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Elias_Maluco posted:

Why is it so important for a dictatorship to silence media that are often critical of them?

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Elias_Maluco posted:

Because it's popular across the arab world and they don't control it.

e:fb

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Ahrar al-Sham is rebranding itself, which was announced in a rare video from their leader. As part of it, they're now using the Syrian independence flag traditionally used by the FSA, instead of their variant of the black and white jihadist flag. They've also stated they are going to operate under "Arab law," rather than sharia moving forward. I think this sums it up well.

https://twitter.com/Elizrael/status/878200957951254528

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

My wife canceled her flight, we lost some money on it but at least I won't be sitting here with clenched buttcheeks refreshing a news site for a whole night.

I like Al Jazeera, I hope it stays.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Elias_Maluco posted:

Aside from the obvious "they criticize KSA," AJ has increasingly become more and more politicized in line with Qatari foreign policy as Qatar's influence has grown on the world stage. It's been a gradual process, but it's really been on display since about the time of Morsi's election. It's why Sisi made shutting down al-Jazeera such a priority in the aftermath of the coup, because of their support for the Muslim Brotherhood. KSA does the same poo poo through al Arabiya, but AJ certainly doesn't have the credibility it used to.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Its kinda crazy that the demands give only 10 days to respond.

If it was open ended you'd be able to just quietly let everything slide.

But with that deadline, everyone will expect something to happen by then (July 3rd).

Qatar has to say no if they want to remain a country. So what does Saudi do in response?

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

It's hard to imagine Erdogan is going to ignore the insult of the demand about removing Turkish forces from the country.

See More Butts
Dec 29, 2004

Kinda neat that technology allows us to "zoom-in" and see what the person on the street thinks about these policies https://www.periscope.tv/MoeHamadi/1OyJABgRvYwxb This Qatari sums up the demands as them getting hosed up the rear end without KY.

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT
If Trump had had been in the White House in 1990, I guess he would not only have approved of Saddam's invasion of Kuwait, he would have personally have gone to Kuwait afterwards to congratulate Saddam on ending the Kuwait menace.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Count Roland posted:

Duckbag, you really help bring up the quality of the thread. Not just by good posts, but by seemingly guiding discussions along reasonable lines. Please keep posting here.

content:

Washington Post has been running stories this week about what happens when IS is gone, and their prediction/suggestion is basically foreverwar with the US right in the middle.

Bonus photo from the article, US trained police force intended for Raqqa:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/worl...m=.0b38cc4e0d3e

And an opinion piece from Monday:

uh gently caress "operationalize it"?

Only one person talks like that

welp

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

Istrian posted:

Austrian Ultimatum to Serbia 1914.txt in Arabic

The 14th part of the ultimatum was dropped at the last minute as it seemed to be made clear by the other sections.

It was, "no lube".

Well, I guess Qatar surrenders to absolute puppethood or we have some kind of war.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Count Roland posted:

Its kinda crazy that the demands give only 10 days to respond.

If it was open ended you'd be able to just quietly let everything slide.

But with that deadline, everyone will expect something to happen by then (July 3rd).

Qatar has to say no if they want to remain a country. So what does Saudi do in response?

It's Austria's demands on Serbia all over again.

The auditing thing was one of their demands too IIRC

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
more good news from turkey

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/jun/23/turkish-schools-to-stop-teaching-evolution-official-says

quote:

Evolution will no longer be taught in Turkish schools, a senior education official has said, in a move likely to raise the ire of the country’s secular opposition.

Alpaslan Durmuş, who chairs the board of education, said evolution was debatable, controversial and too complicated for students.

“We believe that these subjects are beyond their [students] comprehension,” said Durmuş in a video published on the education ministry’s website.

Durmuş said a chapter on evolution was being removed from ninth grade biology course books, and the subject postponed to the undergraduate period. Another change to the curriculum may reduce the amount of time that students spend studying the legacy of secularism.

lovely

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
I guess Saudi Arabia wants a war? That list of demands to Qatar is clearly never going to be met, Qatar has shown too much pride and ambition for that. Saudi Arabia has already gone in fully on the diplomatic side of things so if Qatar doesn't agree to these demands the only way to up the stakes is military action. The USA could change that if they agree to put economic sanctions on Qatar but that would be bizarre and nobody else in the West would follow.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Volkerball posted:

Ahrar al-Sham is rebranding itself, which was announced in a rare video from their leader. As part of it, they're now using the Syrian independence flag traditionally used by the FSA, instead of their variant of the black and white jihadist flag. They've also stated they are going to operate under "Arab law," rather than sharia moving forward. I think this sums it up well.

What a joke.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Fraud organization.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Human Grand Prix posted:

Fraud organization.

In other words, a sham.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

1 Suppress all publications which "incite hatred and contempt of the Austro-Hungarian Monarchy" and are "directed against its territorial integrity".

2 Dissolve the Serbian nationalist organisation Narodna Odbrana ("The People's Defense") and all other such societies in Serbia.

3 Eliminate without delay from schoolbooks and public documents all "propaganda against Austria-Hungary".

4 Remove from the Serbian military and civil administration all officers and functionaries whose names the Austro-Hungarian Government will provide.

5 Accept in Serbia "representatives of the Austro-Hungarian Government" for the "suppression of subversive movements".

6 Bring to trial all accessories to the Archduke's assassination and allow "Austro-Hungarian delegates" (law enforcement officers) to take part in the investigations.

7 Arrest Major Vojislav Tankosić and civil servant Milan Ciganović who were named as participants in the assassination plot.

8 Cease the cooperation of the Serbian authorities in the "traffic in arms and explosives across the frontier"; dismiss and punish the officials of Šabac and Loznica frontier service, "guilty of having assisted the perpetrators of the Sarajevo crime".

9 Provide "explanations" to the Austro-Hungarian Government regarding "Serbian officials" who have expressed themselves in interviews "in terms of hostility to the Austro-Hungarian Government".

10 Notify the Austro-Hungarian Government "without delay" of the execution of the measures comprised in the ultimatum.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Volkerball posted:

the shithead knows that the Jihadi movements are hosed one way or another and is now gonna pretend he/they were moderates all along to save themselves.

Count Roland posted:

1 Suppress all publications which "incite hatred and contempt of the Austro-Hungarian Monarchy" and are "directed against its territorial integrity".

2 Dissolve the Serbian nationalist organisation Narodna Odbrana ("The People's Defense") and all other such societies in Serbia.

3 Eliminate without delay from schoolbooks and public documents all "propaganda against Austria-Hungary".

4 Remove from the Serbian military and civil administration all officers and functionaries whose names the Austro-Hungarian Government will provide.

5 Accept in Serbia "representatives of the Austro-Hungarian Government" for the "suppression of subversive movements".

6 Bring to trial all accessories to the Archduke's assassination and allow "Austro-Hungarian delegates" (law enforcement officers) to take part in the investigations.

7 Arrest Major Vojislav Tankosić and civil servant Milan Ciganović who were named as participants in the assassination plot.

8 Cease the cooperation of the Serbian authorities in the "traffic in arms and explosives across the frontier"; dismiss and punish the officials of Šabac and Loznica frontier service, "guilty of having assisted the perpetrators of the Sarajevo crime".

9 Provide "explanations" to the Austro-Hungarian Government regarding "Serbian officials" who have expressed themselves in interviews "in terms of hostility to the Austro-Hungarian Government".

10 Notify the Austro-Hungarian Government "without delay" of the execution of the measures comprised in the ultimatum.

yeah. now i am curious how it will end. it honestly sounds like Saudis want a war, a quick one they can win so they can look good and flatter trump and themselves with.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Dapper_Swindler posted:

the shithead knows that the Jihadi movements are hosed one way or another and is now gonna pretend he/they were moderates all along to save themselves.

yeah. now i am curious how it will end. it honestly sounds like Saudis want a war, a quick one they can win so they can look good and flatter trump and themselves with.

I don't see how the economic and PR damage of initiating a shooting war over one of the Gulf prestigious metropolises could lead to any sort of gain for the Sauds. It actively makes them look worse, and it isn't going to be hushed up like Yemen.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

steinrokkan posted:

and it isn't going to be hushed up like Yemen.

You sure about that? I certainly hope it won't be, but I suppose in the next few days we'll find out just how much everyone outside of the immedate region cares about tiny Qatar.

The regime/allies force that was on the southern border to Iraq and making a fuss has now started moving northwards, clearing the syrian side of the border. US response:
https://twitter.com/samueloakford/status/878272693195358208

Good if true;
https://twitter.com/abdulkarimomar1/status/878281560394350593

Bastaman Vibration
Jun 26, 2005

steinrokkan posted:

I don't see how the economic and PR damage of initiating a shooting war over one of the Gulf prestigious metropolises could lead to any sort of gain for the Sauds. It actively makes them look worse, and it isn't going to be hushed up like Yemen.

Is Saudi even capable of fighting two wars at one time? Yeah I know, they don't have to cross any water, and Qatar's military capability is quite constrained due to a small (official) population, but still... I don't believe people would just take it laying down. I'm not trying to Tom Clancy up the thread, but if that even flared up a little bit it seems like Saudi is just escalating the situation. It'd go from what their perspective is a slow diplomatic destabilization, to a full-on, total shitshow on the entire peninsula. That would have terrible consequences given all the goings-on and I hope KSA is bluffing on this.

I thought absolute monarchies were supposed to be obsessed with stability? I don't think they're thinking this through

Bastaman Vibration fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Jun 23, 2017

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

dinoputz posted:

Is Saudi even capable of fighting two wars at one time? Yeah I know, they don't have to cross any water, and Qatar's military capability is quite constrained due to a small (official) population, but still... I don't believe people would just take it laying down. I'm not trying to Tom Clancy up the thread, but if that even flared up a little bit it seems like Saudi is just escalating the situation from what from their perspective is a slow diplomatic destabilization to a full-on, total shitshow on the entire peninsula. That would have terrible consequences given all the goings-on and I hope KSA is bluffing on this.

I thought absolute monarchies were supposed to be obsessed with stability? I don't think they're thinking this through

The US isn't capable of it that never stopped them!

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Bohemian Nights posted:

You sure about that? I certainly hope it won't be, but I suppose in the next few days we'll find out just how much everyone outside of the immedate region cares about tiny Qatar.

Qatar is tiny, but it is a place in which Westerners, especially wealthy ones, are much more likely to have some interest - it is a large foreign investor, as well as a huge travel hotspot.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

I feel like there's a very large chance this backfires on the Saudis and pushes Qatar towards Turkey and Iran instead of vassalizing it.

I wonder if the House of Saud has even considered that option

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

dinoputz posted:

Is Saudi even capable of fighting two wars at one time? Yeah I know, they don't have to cross any water, and Qatar's military capability is quite constrained due to a small (official) population, but still... I don't believe people would just take it laying down. I'm not trying to Tom Clancy up the thread, but if that even flared up a little bit it seems like Saudi is just escalating the situation from what from their perspective is a slow diplomatic destabilization to a full-on, total shitshow on the entire peninsula. That would have terrible consequences given all the goings-on and I hope KSA is bluffing on this.

The Saudis can definitely take Qatar in a fight. It's not like Qatar's foreign slaves are going to fight very hard for them, after all. The bigger constraint is how bad waging war on such a flimsy pretext would look, the fact that Turkish troops are there, and that it would look very bad for the US to actively support the invasion of a country that's given us basing rights.

EndTimesProfit
Jul 1, 2004

Don't worry son, it's just the Smilin' Mighty Jesus!

steinrokkan posted:

Can someone with a greater knowledge of the area comment on the likelihood of Iran stepping in and getting involved in a shooting war?

Bastaman Vibration
Jun 26, 2005

BootStrap posted:

Can someone with a greater knowledge of the area comment on the likelihood of Iran stepping in and getting involved in a shooting war?

Probably nil, but they'd surely be involved in funding opposition groups as in Syria and Yemen. I don't know how much they're involved in the latter, but like any sane actor in the region I'm sure they'd make their presence known in some capacity.

Bastaman Vibration fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Jun 23, 2017

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

BootStrap posted:

The US military base in Qatar that makes a Saudi invasion less likely also makes open Iranian involvement pretty much impossible. Plus a tiny country on Saudi Arabia's border is about the worst place Iran could choose to actively fight Saudi Arabia in their regional war anyway.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Dapper_Swindler posted:

Not that anything will turn out well for Qatar, but the idea of Saudis fighting and winning a quick war of any sort is laughable. They're only going to make themselves look weaker and more impulsive if they go down this route. They don't have the cards to back up what they're bidding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Don't mess with Turksas.

• Locked thread