Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheInvisiblePooka
Dec 18, 2012
In a local Facebook Warmahorde group, some Cryx player typed out a bitch fit about how Mk.3 is dead. Highlights from the original post and comments include:

Random and nonsensical use of the word literally.

OP Claiming the game is so bad it's damaging his personal life.

OP's implied statement that Games Workshop and Warhammer 40k is the reason he doesn't trust new edition of games anymore.

OP declaring he's not selling any of his poo poo in case someone wants to play Mk.2.

Multiple "Try _____ instead!" comments.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zalabar
Feb 13, 2012

Yes, he would like fries with that, thank you.

Forzelt posted:

Steamroller this weekend and I cannot decide on a pairing. So let's have the magic of SA democracy decide among:

1. L2/Abby1: Abby has an archangel, which is cool and awesome
2. L2/Rhyas1: because assassination is the best win condition
3. Harkevich: because a kodiak cloudwall is mindless for me but not my opponent and **** them

1, for Dragon.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

TheInvisiblePooka posted:

Multiple "Try _____ instead!" comments.

You can just say guild ball, unless this exact farce is playing out in multiple Facebook groups

Zodiac5000
Jun 19, 2006

Protects the Pack!

Doctor Rope

Forzelt posted:

Steamroller this weekend and I cannot decide on a pairing. So let's have the magic of SA democracy decide among:

1. L2/Abby1: Abby has an archangel, which is cool and awesome
2. L2/Rhyas1: because assassination is the best win condition
3. Harkevich: because a kodiak cloudwall is mindless for me but not my opponent and **** them

The answer is Harkevich, because I'm not playing in this tournament and it's the one I want to play against the least.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Possibly going to a team event this weekend, and trying to see if I'm making a horrible mistake ahead of time.

My pairing looks to be Xerxis1 w/ a modified fist + Zaal2 w/ the standard load out of immortals and souls recycling. Do you guys a) see a big hole in the coverage between the two list ideas, and b) think the fist is good enough to be worth playing in MK3? I figure I'm going to be Mr. grenade jumper since I'm not very good, but I'd rather learn some on how to play versus just get my rear end beat and drink like a fish all day.

TheInvisiblePooka
Dec 18, 2012

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

You can just say guild ball, unless this exact farce is playing out in multiple Facebook groups

No idea if it's playing out in multiple groups, but I think we are talking about the same dude-bro. I'm guessing that since dude-bro was a Mk.2 Cryx player, he's upset he lost the auto-win Denny button (which he lost at the end of Mk.2 anyway).

There are issues I have with the game, but none of those issues are so overwhelming that they made me consider quitting the game. Warmahordes is seriously one of the best games out there right now. I've adapted to every errata and update they've dropped with great success (success being measured in fun).

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

I can't be the only one who thinks guild ball is loving boring

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

There are statistically more than 0 other people that like timed turns too.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

There are statistically more than 0 other people that like timed turns too.

sorry you can't handle the breakneck pace

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Guildball was hot for like 2 months around here. (to be fair, it was hot with like, 10-12 people maybe.) Now it's completely died out. I'm not against the game in theory. But if I'm going to get into a minis game, I have to be into the aesthetics. And none of the teams interested me enough in that way.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Fyrbrand posted:

Guildball was hot for like 2 months around here. (to be fair, it was hot with like, 10-12 people maybe.) Now it's completely died out. I'm not against the game in theory. But if I'm going to get into a minis game, I have to be into the aesthetics. And none of the teams interested me enough in that way.

I bought two teams with part of the money I got for selling my 'hams so I could try it out and whatnot, but I never actually did anything beyond priming them.

Of course part of that is because I was unemployed and ran out of Adderall.

I can't wait to get on my new job's insurance so I can paint again :smith:

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

S.J. posted:

sorry you can't handle the breakneck pace

Sorry I'm too busy keeping up with the lightspeed pace of alternating activations

I'm just ragging on you.

I think Mark 3's biggest problem was that it released incomplete. Our gators player lost interest by the time the theme came out. One of our cryx players quit. I'm surprised our skorne player stuck through it. Every week the battle engines rules aren't in war room is another that too few people might be playing wm at the store.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
I think the only reason Skorne players stuck through it is that they were promised a faction overhaul relatively early into Mk3, and from what I can tell it was delivered solidly.

On a note that is, I swear, not THE SKY IS FALLING AND IM QUITTING THE GAME, would anyone be interested buying a pile of Legion? Not really digging them in Mk3, and trimming down from 5 factions to 4 certainly wouldn't kill me. I'll post a list if anyone is interested, I think the lot is like $450 MSRP and I'd be happy to sell it for like 40% of retail.

Honestly, I should probably trim down to 3 factions if not 2, but I'm pretty fond of my angry robots, angry catholics, angry elves, and angry smurfs and I don't know which I'd sell. Probably elves or smurfs, but the hootch hauler has me real interested in my Trolls again, and I will always have a very, very soft spot for Rahn.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
I'm getting kromac2 soon so I can actually play the Storm Raptor properly. I feel dirty D:

S.J.
May 19, 2008

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

Sorry I'm too busy keeping up with the lightspeed pace of alternating activations

I'm just ragging on you.

I think Mark 3's biggest problem was that it released incomplete. Our gators player lost interest by the time the theme came out. One of our cryx players quit. I'm surprised our skorne player stuck through it. Every week the battle engines rules aren't in war room is another that too few people might be playing wm at the store.

I know, I'm just giving you poo poo. You're right about the launch though.

TheInvisiblePooka
Dec 18, 2012

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

I think Mark 3's biggest problem was that it released incomplete.

Agreed. I feel that PP rushed themselves because of a self-imposed deadline. You can clearly tell that some parts were half assed on launch. Mind you, they set their own deadline, and nobody but themselves could hold them to it. With so many people already happy with Mk.2, there was no real rush for Mk.3 to hit the shelves. The game was not in some dire situation that required an 8th edition 40k level rebalancing.

Thankfully, CID is doing... "better" than PP was doing on their own. I think the CID is fantastic overall, and has definitely corrected issues. However, I'm also a Cygnar player, and have gotten the best poo poo out of CID since Skorne re-dropped.

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

TheInvisiblePooka posted:

Agreed. I feel that PP rushed themselves because of a self-imposed deadline. You can clearly tell that some parts were half assed on launch. Mind you, they set their own deadline, and nobody but themselves could hold them to it. With so many people already happy with Mk.2, there was no real rush for Mk.3 to hit the shelves. The game was not in some dire situation that required an 8th edition 40k level rebalancing.

Thankfully, CID is doing... "better" than PP was doing on their own. I think the CID is fantastic overall, and has definitely corrected issues. However, I'm also a Cygnar player, and have gotten the best poo poo out of CID since Skorne re-dropped.

The theme forces were pretty dire

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Theme forces is a complete boondoggle until there's a ton of them

counterspin
Apr 2, 2010

Theme forces are a bad idea in general because they've just turned them into a way to get free points. The new themes are agressively uninteresting(free solo for every 20 points and.*rolls dice* 2 inches of deployment) and I wish they would have skipped over them to a more in depth subfaction system.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

I remember before Mk3 was announced that people were starting to rumble about how the release schedule wasn't updating. Maybe it was a combination of not having enough releases to buffer a few months and wanting to launch at LnL? Though I also do remember hearing a rumor that a disgruntled individual was threatening to leak Mk3 details and forcing their hand early - although again, rumors.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax

counterspin posted:

Theme forces are a bad idea in general because they've just turned them into a way to get free points. The new themes are agressively uninteresting(free solo for every 20 points and.*rolls dice* 2 inches of deployment) and I wish they would have skipped over them to a more in depth subfaction system.

Themes are needed for tournament play because they limit the number of top-end lists, which is important knowledge for choosing one's own lists, etc. Themes are fairly stupid for casual play, though.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

counterspin posted:

This is pretty much my opinion to a T. Free points have basically cut the variety of lists I've been seeing in half.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

The problem is that the game seems balanced around theme lists, solos and infantry seem over costed until they're giving or are free points. But there isn't enough lists for this to be balanced, and also there are themes where warjacks give free points.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Jimmy Hats posted:

Themes are needed for tournament play because they limit the number of top-end lists, which is important knowledge for choosing one's own lists, etc. Themes are fairly stupid for casual play, though.

Why? I'd figure that forcing people into novel situations would be a better test of skill than that you understand the 30 or whatever competitive lists. The most interesting games I play are the ones that are about novel interactions and how you use your army as a toolbox to solve a problem you haven't already anticipated.

Themes as they currently exist are just awful, since you effectively force armies into 1-3 different straightjackets or play 10%+ down. I think the reason I enjoy Skorne so much right now is that they can effectively ignore the theme game, but I expect that the number of "playable" lists will go down dramatically as soon as the forces book comes out and things like the Zaal2 Immortals lists either gets 10-15 free points it didn't need or is forced to compete for play time against lists that have 2-3 free solos wandering around. I'd prefer if they just released another wave of 4-5 more themes per faction immediately, so that we could at least get the variance that could be had with themes back in MK2.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax

rkajdi posted:

Why? I'd figure that forcing people into novel situations would be a better test of skill than that you understand the 30 or whatever competitive lists. The most interesting games I play are the ones that are about novel interactions and how you use your army as a toolbox to solve a problem you haven't already anticipated.

It's not about being interesting, or fun, it's a competitive exercise. The idea is that you have a reasonable idea of what to expect so you can pick your two lists to cover as many bases as possible, so you don't end up playing unwinnable games.

TheInvisiblePooka
Dec 18, 2012
On one hand, I feel themes are too good to not play. On the other, my best list is a Stryker2 list that is not in theme.

Stryker2
*Squire
*Lancer
*Ol'Rowdy
Duke Runewood
Captain Finn
Journeyman
*Firefly
Major Gibbs
Laddermore
Max Storm Lances
Max Trencher Commandos

I think theme lists need to be more restrictive on what people can take. This is especially true in the warjack/beast department. For example, Heavy Metal being the only theme list you can bring colossals in; or only being allowed to bring non-colossal electricity immune jacks in Storm Division.

Themes as they are today reward skewed play with more ability to skew. To not play a theme is to play down 10 or 15 points from your opponent, who may also get bonus abilities at set up.

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER
Themes are clearly how Privateer wants the game to work (I mean, they've said so) but I guess I disagree with them. The 'free points' themes are basically too good to pass up, and even a lot of the time if you're out for casual game night you almost have to be in theme so you don't end up in a game where you're playing down a bunch of points, which isn't great.

Then again when PP has tried more creative theme bonuses it's been a rough road (people melting down about losing AD, shield guarding with the War Carriage) as well so v0v.

For_Great_Justice
Apr 21, 2010

JUST CAN'T SHUT THE FUCK UP ABOUT HOW MUCH I HATE GAMES WORKSHOP!
The free points plus +1 to go first seems to be the only thing people will accept as theme bonuses. As mentioned above the meltdowns over loss of AD just sets people off.

I think being a bit more restrictive in what heavies/lights could take could work. Its hard to say until people make lists, an there is ever always the crowd that will try to take one jack an spam, sloan an nine hunters come to mind right at release, which they adjusted for at release.

Sometimes I wonder if they at PP actually do undetstand how their community plays the game. CiD seems to be their attempt at it. I like it.

Fake edit: fat fingers

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax

evenworse username posted:

The 'free points' themes are basically too good to pass up, and even a lot of the time if you're out for casual game night you almost have to be in theme so you don't end up in a game where you're playing down a bunch of points, which isn't great.

Yeah the local rule of thumb is that if one guy doesn't want to play in theme than neither of you should be in theme.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

I think themes work pretty well for mercs and minions. But it's probably because there isn't much space more themes. But they feel correctly restrictive.

I expect themes to be completely reworked down the line

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Don't allow more than one free thing in a theme list

counterspin
Apr 2, 2010

Don't allow any free things in a theme, because it defeats the entire point of the costing system.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

also that

giving out special abilities is fine, I wish they'd gone harder down that route

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner
If we are always supposed to be playing in theme then what the gently caress am I supposed to do with all these models that don't fit in any themes?

Like okay if it was the good models that were out of theme and the suboptimal ones that were elevated by a theme, cool, but deliverers and zealots don't fit in any theme and i can't imagine a theme for them that would be broad enough so I guess they just stay shelved since they don't get 15+ free points...

S.J.
May 19, 2008

I guarantee you everything will be getting a theme that it can go into.

Friendly Fire
Dec 29, 2004
All my friends got me for my birthday was this stupid custom title. Fuck my friends.

S.J. posted:

I guarantee you everything will be getting a theme that it can go into.

I'd believe this but Long Gunners...

Alpha Phoenix
Feb 26, 2007

That is a peckin' lot of bird...
:kazooieass::kazooieass::kazooieass:

Pyrolocutus posted:

I remember before Mk3 was announced that people were starting to rumble about how the release schedule wasn't updating. Maybe it was a combination of not having enough releases to buffer a few months and wanting to launch at LnL? Though I also do remember hearing a rumor that a disgruntled individual was threatening to leak Mk3 details and forcing their hand early - although again, rumors.

There were multiple models with mk2 rules that never got released in mk2, like the Desert Hydra. They took the time to mockup cards to disguise the mk3 announcement, which is weird.

Jimmy Hats posted:

It's not about being interesting, or fun, it's a competitive exercise. The idea is that you have a reasonable idea of what to expect so you can pick your two lists to cover as many bases as possible, so you don't end up playing unwinnable games.

This is dumb. You'll naturally get tiered lists on any competitive meta, all with tech choices and player flair. That's a side effect of any competitive game, from M:tg to DotA.

Structuring it with tiers makes the devs seem controlling and forcing specific metas instead of letting them evolve. It's almost like they're scared of players using non-doctrined lists.

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
Friend of mine came up with the FA 1 Theme list. You can take anything in your faction but it is restricted to FA 1. Give free solos and CA at every 25 points and +1 to the starting roll.

It's as generic as you can get and yet gives you a lot of flexibility.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Jimmy Hats posted:

Hunh? Competitive gaming is supposed to be interesting and fun. It's not supposed to be a the limited kind of contest you're talking about. If you are dumb and bring something that someone can Rube Goldberg a counter to, you should lose. The theme limitations make it much harder to do so, which means you get to play sloppier since you know the answers.

Seriously, this is like getting angry that the other team in football discovered the a new play, or a baseball team uses the shift. Getting out-thought by people is a good thing in gaming, not a bad one. It might also move people back away from stilted lists, which could also be a positive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

S.J. posted:

also that

giving out special abilities is fine, I wish they'd gone harder down that route

The problem there is that it would be hard to not give it to specific units and then the themes become laser focused. It's okay in minions because they already have a small bench.