Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nosfereefer
Jun 15, 2011

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM
Weird poo poo going on in Western Europe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LaSalsaVerde
Mar 3, 2013

It's a couple times now I've seen France end up in Scotland.

wukkar
Nov 27, 2009

Too Poetic posted:

Has Wiz managed to make Stellaris any good? I felt like the game had potential but the combat was just so awful.
Not yet. There seems to be more of a focus on improving roleplaying/government forms/pops. Fleets actually fighting is still a weak spot.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

Blorange posted:

This series helped me get over that learning curve, it's Arumba teaching FilthyRobot how the game actually works. It's on the 1.19 patch and with all of the DLC, but the basics should still apply. They go over how monarch points, diplomacy and wars work, and that's pretty much most of what you need to start with.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U-9ZE9UZUF0

This is very good. Arumba explains poo poo and FilthyRobot asks questions when something is not clear. Maybe a little bit too much detail but hey, it's EU4.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

wukkar posted:

Not yet. There seems to be more of a focus on improving roleplaying/government forms/pops. Fleets actually fighting is still a weak spot.
Wiz has done some great things, I wonder if he can come up with something to fix that mess....

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Wiz has done some great things, I wonder if he can come up with something to fix that mess....

I have confidence that, given the changes in Utopia, Wiz's approach of focusing on one or two things each expansion and trying to get it solid will at least improve the system over time.

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.
They've made good progress on fleshing out previously sparse parts of the game, so if your problem with the game was "there's not enough content in [area]" then there's a good chance that's been fixed. But the core mechanics (especially for combat and planet development) are still bad and I don't see any signs that they're planning the from-scratch rebuild those systems need

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

"Mash two armies into each other, usually win if you have better composition" is about as much complexity I want from a strategy game

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

Jay Rust posted:

"Mash two armies into each other, usually win if you have better composition" is about as much complexity I want from a strategy game

It's not really a question of "more complexity" versus "less complexity". Stellaris has a lot of complexity in its combat system, but with very little payoff in terms of strategic depth, and the player interacts with it in a way that makes it hard to get a good handle on.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Stellaris combat had even less depth than EU4 combat when I last played. It was just doomstack vs doomstack, the stack with the bigger number won regardless of any other concerns, the winner spends a while chasing the loser back and forth till they're totally destroyed, and then carpet sieges every system.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Agreed, Stellaris combat is god awful.

I'm sorry I helped start a derail going about it.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

skasion posted:

Stellaris combat had even less depth than EU4 combat when I last played. It was just doomstack vs doomstack, the stack with the bigger number won regardless of any other concerns, the winner spends a while chasing the loser back and forth till they're totally destroyed, and then carpet sieges every system.

they'll tell you it's definitely important that you scout out what rock paper scissor weapon the enemy is using, which the game doesn't make easy, and then refit your entire fleet with the right weapon to win. make sure you make a bigger stack than they have too. but that's incidental

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

Nosfereefer posted:

In my Venice game, Scotland and France annihilated England between the two of them. Scotland's now in the process of colonizing Canada.

beefart
Jul 5, 2007

IT'S ON THE HOUSE OF AMON
~grandmaaaaaaa~

Nosfereefer posted:

No weirder than a viable Manchu game post Mandate of Heaven...

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

beefart posted:

No weirder than a viable Manchu game post Mandate of Heaven...

Manchu isn't much harder now than it was before Mandate of Heaven, and in some ways is easier because once the Native Frontier disaster fires you can absolutely kick the poo poo out of Ming for the better part of a century while there's nothing whatsoever they can do about it and your biggest worry is that Ayutthaya or Chagatai or something will get frisky enough to take the Mandate themselves. It's playing as anybody else in east Asia that sucks, because the AI is too dumb to do anything of worth as a Manchu. But starting as a Manchu minor you can have Ming on the ropes by 1480 and turn them into your enormous, helpless bitch by 1500.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
Mandate of Heaven makes playing in East Asia way more fun than it was before, since you don't have to worry about Ming inevitably declaring war on you at some point and now actually have freedom to build up until you're ready to properly take them on.

The games it ruins are for people expanding on the periphery of the tributary system (India, Russia etc), not people within it.

Ignorant Hick
Mar 26, 2010

I'm bad at this game and after my second try with Manchu I still don't get how you're supposed to get tributaries for yourself. Fighting Ming themselves isn't a problem. Are you supposed to be releasing their tributaries in wars instead of taking their land? How do you stop Ming from just getting their tributaries back after you release them?

The way my attempt went I got to 1630, annexed everything east of Yanarkand, and fought four wars with Ming, taking the northern half of their land along the way. With the provinces I was taking I only had enough war score to make them release a three province Korea and a five Oirat, who I made tribuatries. I took the mandate in the fourth war and made the three remaining independent steppe counties tributaries through war, but it wasn't nearly enough to keep my mandate up. Meanwhile Ming still had all of their tributaries from Tibet down to Malacca and then allied Japan. They never once had rebel issues.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

You need to kick their rear end as soon as you can so that the disaster will fire, and absolutely do not take the mandate until they are permanently hosed (since losing the mandate exempts them from the penalties for having 0 mandate). The achievement guides I've seen mostly recommend taking the Mandate in like the third war, which seems way too early to me. Granted I don't play super aggressively most of the time, but I annexed five wars worth of territory before I seized it and still felt like it was uncomfortably soon.

If they are weak enough, no tributary except the very smallest OPMs will respect them anymore and they will cancel, but you will have to conquer probably more than half of China before you get to this point. Most of the mid-size tributaries will happily join you if you have conquered down south, a couple you might have to force (the biggest power or two in Indochina is usually a bit reluctant). If you take the mandate before Ming's tributaries have abandoned them, the best thing to do imo is attack Ming again ASAP, wipe their armies, bring their war exhaustion as high as you can, and then white peace so a ton of rebels spawn and break the country. This isn't an ideal situation (because all the Chinese minors are same culture group and religion they can get a bit coalition happy when you eventually try and conquer them) but it will pop out a half dozen decent sized friendly-ish states who will accept tributary status.

Also, 1630 is way later than I would like to still be fighting Ming. I would want them reduced to a rump state like a century earlier than that.

Too Poetic
Nov 28, 2008

uXs posted:

This is very good. Arumba explains poo poo and FilthyRobot asks questions when something is not clear. Maybe a little bit too much detail but hey, it's EU4.
Yeah, I'd recommended it. I recently convinced some friends to purchase EU4 so I could finally get in on some sweet multiplayer action. It's hilarious how many little ways they manage to put themselves at a massive disadvantage of some small mechanic. But these videos have helped them a ton

Ignorant Hick
Mar 26, 2010

Makes sense, thanks. I tried to take my time this run cause in my first attempt I was super aggressive and grabbed the mandate in 1512 or so. I thought the tributary system was only something the emperor had access to and assumed Ming would auto lose all their tributaries when they lost the mandate.

I still think it's weird that there's no treaty to keep Ming from getting a tributary back when you release them in a peace deal, like there is when forcing to break an alliance. Guess I don't need to bother with that if grinding them down is enough to have the little guys break away on their own.

While the whole mandate system has cause me a lot of frustration, it's sooooooo satisfying to burn through a Ming stack twice your size without taking a scratch.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

I haven't played EU4 in about 2 years (the last DLC I got was Commen Sense). I was thinking of picking up all the new DLCs and giving it another go, but all the recent steam reviews are negative. What's changed? Have there been any major changes in the last six months (i.e. since Arumba&FilthyRobot's tutorial)?

If the recent changes are bad I might pick up the Stellaris DLCs instead and give that another try.

LLSix fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Jun 24, 2017

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

LLSix posted:

I haven't played EU4 in about 2 years (the last DLC I got was Commen Sense). I was thinking of picking up all the new DLCs and giving it another go, but all the recent steam reviews are negative. What's changed? Have there been any major changes in the last six months (i.e. since Arumba&FilthyRobot's tutorial)?

If the recent changes are bad I might pick up the Stellaris DLCs instead and give that another try.

Rights of Man patch included Institutions and is good, everything else since Common Sense is mediocre to poor. Many of the new features aren't integrated well into the game overall.

RoM made playing a non-Euro even more viable and fun, Mandate of Heaven then made playing as anyone on the periphery of East Asia kind of poo poo because the new Ming/tributary mechanics are dumb. Mare Nostrum added naval combat widths which was significant, they also tried to make naval manpower happen (Sailors) but they are still irrelevant.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Here's a diplo screenshot from a Goon multiplayer game for a war that has gone on for 8 hours, and 25 in-game years.

Austria and Prussia are only now starting to collapse

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever
Fun times. It's certainly demonstrated some of the weaknesses of late-game warfare, especially the fact that both sides can keep fighting essentially forever as long as they can afford mercenaries and have the Dip points to suppress war exhaustion.

alcaras
Oct 3, 2013

noli timere
Who are the humans in that screenshot?

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

alcaras posted:

With millions of people dead in a 25 year war, I'd say none. None at all.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Warleaders should white peace so all those guys at 20 WE blow the gently caress up

Playstation 4
Apr 25, 2014
Unlockable Ben
Has anyone here ever done full map mods? Trying to figure out where my map is hanging on load, I have 1 are, region and superregion so the files exist and at least 1 province is in them, it reaches the end of those in the setup.log and then just hangs.

E: Mind you, this is a full replacement map, 5k+ provinces, so hopefully someone's done something similar.

Playstation 4 fucked around with this message at 09:12 on Jun 24, 2017

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

alcaras posted:

Spain, Russia, France, Ottoman, Egypt, Prussia, Austria.

You also have Norway, Japan, and India as players who are not (directly) in the war. Though Japan has sent condat to help Spain and I (India) have been paying off the German and Austrian debts.

Pictured: the money France paid me to clean up some of their rebels in Asia which then then my finance minister snuck into Austria to pay off their 12k debt.

Nitrousoxide fucked around with this message at 12:45 on Jun 24, 2017

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!

LLSix posted:

Most of the reviews are negative because people don't agree with the dlc policy and they use the reviews to bitch about it.

Of the post-common sense dlc's only rights of man is worth it in my opinion. Maybe mandate of heaven as well, but I havent played it. You might want to grab mare nostrum for the spy network bonuses it provides.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Dance Officer posted:

You might want to grab mare nostrum for the spy network bonuses it provides.

You're right, but it's still a sad state of affairs that we're paying for something that could've been from a mod. Intensive restructuring of areas and game mechanics are DLC worthy; bolting on bonuses on stuff actually feels a bit like.. I don't know, like buying a Game Genie?

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
Would it be better for them to have forced you to pay for states and territories?

Mare Nostrum is a pretty mediocre expansion but I think people have a pretty unreasonable expectation about how much these things should cost. Paradox is extremely fair about the pricing unless you're comparing them to like Valve or CD Projekt Red or something, which are companies in very different situations.

I think the patch cycle for the past couple of months since Mandate of Heaven has been a big slip up, but "everything in the past two years has been trash except for rights of man" is kinda ridiculous.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Finally got first come first serve and ideas guy. Now I am trying to see how hard can I deny American trade from england and France ; I got trade ideas and have my home node in gulf of st lawrence, 75 light ships protecting trade, trade buildings and manufactories literally everywhere, steer there from every contested node and embargo both england and France but they still manage to pull out 8 ducats. The node is worth around 270 and I make 310 :v: I also own more than half the gold in the world.

Too bad I can't stop brazil haemorraging ducats to the ivory coast but I guess you can't have everything. Besides, it's not like Patagonia and whatever else is down there amounts to much, it's like 15 ducats going to Africa

I am taking naval for the first time ever just to get a +10% trade efficiency policy, I feel dirty

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Conquer the Ivory Coast, collect in Brazil, presto.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Koramei posted:

Would it be better for them to have forced you to pay for states and territories?

Mare Nostrum is a pretty mediocre expansion but I think people have a pretty unreasonable expectation about how much these things should cost. Paradox is extremely fair about the pricing unless you're comparing them to like Valve or CD Projekt Red or something, which are companies in very different situations.

I think the patch cycle for the past couple of months since Mandate of Heaven has been a big slip up, but "everything in the past two years has been trash except for rights of man" is kinda ridiculous.

I think their prices are mostly fair, all because you only have to buy them once for multiplayer purposes. Besides the games themselves, that's the primary reason I love Paradox.

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!

Koramei posted:

I wouldn't say that everything post-common sense is bad. Or that things were better before. Conquest of paradise, wealth of nations and el dorado are all older dlc that I think don't should have cost more than $10 or so. These, along with cossacks, mare nostrum, mandate of heaven and now third rome are really just small add-ons to flesh out certain regions or things.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Cossacks is really good cause it affects a huge portion of (the non-Euro) world. Hordes own.

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince
Got sort of a meh Liberty or Death game going. I got the achievement a while back but decided to keep going to get Gentle Persuasion and Combined Arms since I noticed they don't have a start date restriction. Got the former, still working on the latter.

I have two complaints: my vassals (Assiniboine and Fox) can't seem to figure out how money works so I have to keep dumping ducats on them to bail them out before rebels start running over their countries. Furthermore, I can't even reach them with my armies thanks to Spanish Louisiana cutting me off (admittedly I wasn't as aggressive at the start as I should have been). Spain and Britain both rivaled me so their CNs won't let me get mil access and apparently you can't just ship troops across Lake Michigan.

I'll probably solve the problem soon since Newfoundland is my next target but it's just a bit annoying.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

i have over 1k hours and i finally got grand coalition haha

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
And I finally completed my First Come, First Served game. I don't think I'll be going to For Odin because Europe is a nightmare of super-nations.

Odd stuff in my run:
--Ottomans have a higher forcelimit/manpower than the Ming.
--Austria has been reduced to a rump state in the Netherlands while Venice is a substantial Great Power
--Itty Bitty Greece has persisted on the island of Cyprus for like most of the game.
--Poor Muscovy.
--France ate Spain who ate Portugal--which was good for me because that kicked Portugal out of Europe and they held the last bit of land in the Americas, Bermuda. France, being defender of the faith and having some -ridiculous force limit, left me just waiting for an opportunity to strike for a while. So I ate Scotland.
--I only had the fourth largest force limit at around 220.

Just a tip if anyone wants to try to do this achievement: Colonize Bermuda. Because you can't forge a claim on it, you can't Threaten War for it so you can end up in trouble later on when you're painting the last bits of the Americas.

• Locked thread