Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:
I hadn't taken the time to buy either Civ 6 or XCom 2 yet but there's a "Game of the Year Strategy Pack" selling both for 40% off on Civ, 65% off on XCom and a further 25% off the pair of them. That's the highlight of the sale for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

tight aspirations posted:

We used to have publisher packs and regional gifting, which made things a lot cheaper.

On the other hand, I think publisher packs are the reason so many people have massive steam libraries they're never going to touch. I know a few times I bought something like "$PUBLISHER Pack" for only one game and then had the rest sit around. I'd have been better off just getting that one game for say $5 instead of their entire catalog for $20.

To each his/her own though.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."
Is the Sticker page hanging for anyone else?

Tafferling
Oct 22, 2008

DOOT DOOT
ALL ABOARD THE ISS POLOKONZERVA

Blattdorf posted:

Is the Sticker page hanging for anyone else?

Stickers are awful anyways

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

How's Dying Light? I'm looking for some fun 4 player co-op with friends and I heard it's pretty solid for that.

Also is The Following part of it (the image seems to imply so?) and is the season pass worth getting? Or any of the DLC?

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

s.i.r.e. posted:

How's Dying Light? I'm looking for some fun 4 player co-op with friends and I heard it's pretty solid for that.

Also is The Following part of it (the image seems to imply so?) and is the season pass worth getting? Or any of the DLC?
The Following is DLC; "Dying Light: The Following - Enhanced Edition" is like a GOTY edition. Dying Light is a really great game that seems to go under the radar because the Dead Island series didn't really meet expectations for a lot of folks. Dying Light seems to rectify those mistakes.

I've heard the co-cop can be fun, but honestly I couldn't find anyone I knew who played it. Solo was fun for a runthrough anyway.

Norton
Feb 18, 2006

s.i.r.e. posted:

Yeah I think dying light is awesome. The following is also great and definitely worth getting. I think the rest of the dlc is cosmetic stuff.

Its not perfect but it's probably my favorite coop FPS. I went back and beat the whole game 2 more times just cause the graphics and music are so good.

too much dead rat
Nov 7, 2009

You think you're looking at me through some window, when all you're really doing is looking in a mirror.
I can confirm that Dying Light co-op rules. The invasion stuff ended up being a lot more fun than I expected, as well.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

tight aspirations posted:

We used to have publisher packs and regional gifting, which made things a lot cheaper.
Publisher packs were actually quite bad (unless you were brand spankin' new to Steam) because if you owned even 1 (or sometimes 2) of the games, they weren't worth it (unless maybe you really really wanted to play every single game in there, which probably not). Steam didn't introduce dynamic pricing on Packs until last year(?) where if you had already owned a game, its price was reduced. Previously they would just disappear into the void and you'd eat the cost.

Also regional gifting is a pretty niche thing amongst a small subset of goon-friends even.

I'm not going to say defend Sales that much, after all 20% of the games do worse discounts with >5% difference. But 35% are the same as they've been before and 33% are new peak discounts so that's pretty good. Also yeah sales are much less fun now but alas. Buying video games for less is always good no matter what.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

what

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

http://store.steampowered.com/app/284460/DeadCore/

DeadCore is 2.50! Grab it to be fast and jump in first person.

Mung Dynasty
Jul 19, 2003

Why do the peasants slave while the emperor gets to eat all the mung?!
Lots of guesses about the worsening trend in discounts, so I'm gonna go ahead and submit mine: PC gaming's popularity is at an alltime high. Publishers no longer have to drastically slash prices to make some sales to a comparatively smaller, savvier userbase. Literally every gamer knows about Steam sales now, and many of those gamers have PCs to take advantage of them. poo poo is more likely to sell at full price now than five years ago.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

axeil posted:

On the other hand, I think publisher packs are the reason so many people have massive steam libraries they're never going to touch. I know a few times I bought something like "$PUBLISHER Pack" for only one game and then had the rest sit around. I'd have been better off just getting that one game for say $5 instead of their entire catalog for $20.

To each his/her own though.

the Lucasarts publisher pack though. Such value.

strategery
Apr 21, 2004
I come to you baring a gift. Its in my diper and its not a toaster.
Im only spending 30 bucks. Im only spending 30 bucks. Im only spending 30 bucks.

gently caress

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
I'd like to hear some goon impressions on Watch_Dogs 2. Worth it at $30?

Initially there was a lot of positive buzz around it but it seemed to have died off pretty fast.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

strategery posted:

Im only spending 30 bucks. Im only spending 30 bucks. Im only spending 30 bucks.

gently caress

Those are all good games (well afterbith and stuff is questionable due to difficulty if this is your first time playing binding of isaac but whatever) so your wallet is just gonna have to deal and it didn't even dip into hitman yet.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

strategery posted:

gently caress

You can drop the XCOM 2 DLC, it's not all that great.

strategery
Apr 21, 2004

monster on a stick posted:

You can drop the XCOM 2 DLC, it's not all that great.

Is it necessary to play long war though?

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

The Walrus posted:

the Lucasarts publisher pack though. Such value.
gently caress, this made me realize I don't have Last Crusade or Loom

fixed that oversight

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

strategery posted:

Is it necessary to play long war though?

No, not required for LW2. Maybe some of the gadgets from alien hunters would be useful like frost bombs but then you'd have alien rulers which would probably not be fun.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

oh thank god the DLC for Vega is on sale!

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Tafferling posted:

Stickers are awful anyways

They really are the worst gimmick. I was expecting at least customizable profile backgrounds or something but nope, click on things to make a picture, hooray.

strategery posted:

gently caress

Dead Cells is the big temptation for me this year. I don't really want to get it until it's complete but man, I've watched some streamers play it and it just looks soooooooooo fuuuuuuuun. It's like Subnautica was for me last year, I wanted to hold off until it was done but I've started like three new games of it in the past few months.

strategery
Apr 21, 2004

lol the gently caress. This makes train sim dlc seem tame.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

strategery posted:

gently caress

You can drop gungeon, imo.

too much dead rat
Nov 7, 2009

You think you're looking at me through some window, when all you're really doing is looking in a mirror.

PantsBandit posted:

Initially there was a lot of positive buzz around it but it seemed to have died off pretty fast.

Depends on how much open world fatigue you experience. The goofy counter culture hacker comedy can be fun and their version of the San Francisco Bay Area feels right. The hacking/sneaking gameplay works better but is still less than stellar and the shooting feels so out of place I question if it should have been put in. I enjoyed it most doing the co-op side missions with my buddy but that stuff doesn't feel very robust. I regretted spending $40 but there's some good stuff that you've played before in other open world games.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Too Shy Guy posted:

Dead Cells is the big temptation for me this year. I don't really want to get it until it's complete but man, I've watched some streamers play it and it just looks soooooooooo fuuuuuuuun. It's like Subnautica was for me last year, I wanted to hold off until it was done but I've started like three new games of it in the past few months.

I'd say go for it. There's a ton of content in it as is (I have ~10 hours and am still unlocking new weapons and tools). Also they just added in a new boss that's a completely unbalanced and glitchy mess, so it's very unlikely you'll see the end anytime soon :v:

Yeah Dead Cells is in a really good place right now though.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

Grapplejack posted:

You can drop gungeon, imo.

This, Gungeon is a bit divisive and you already have Isaac on there

Xii
Dec 27, 2011

Only the coldest prevail.
I've been wondering since SQUAD is up for grabs at 50% off, is there a thread on the forum?
I might just make one if someone can confirm there isn't one yet.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

PantsBandit posted:

I bought it at launch on PS4 and enjoyed it, but then I again liked Watch_Dogs 1. Watch_Dogs 2 is lighhearted and silly in a way that the original is not, swinging almost a little too closely to stupid Reddit meme poo poo.

The drone and RC car are fun additions that change the gameplay significantly, and actually make you feel like you're a nerdy hacker instead of a script kiddie with a bunch of guns.

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Jun 23, 2017

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
To expland on other gungeon talk, Gungeon is a bit more "babbys first bullet hell" than it is "twinstick roguelite". It also has a few really brutal design choices like you can't get an item drop from a room if you take damage in that room, though some those may have been reverted.

Nuclear Throne is still the best game in the twinstick random murder genre.

markgreyam
Mar 10, 2008

Talk to the mittens.

PantsBandit posted:

Effort post time. I love it. I was a huge fan of the first, for reference, and the extra things you can do to gently caress around with the city are great fun once they're unlocked. The core missions are mostly more enjoyable this time around even if they're (as you'd expect) still just variations on a limited set of options, but this time the world is much more fun to gently caress around with, after you get some upgrades, so you've got more variety in completing those missions anyway. They're not that bad and most of the cut-scenes are dumb fun, but I do always find myself not as keen on them as just dynamically finding the next group of people to mess with or go around searching for hidden upgrades instead of trying to earn them through the game's version of XP (which is -cringes- twitter feed followers).

The dynamic, "seamless" (except the game sometimes stutters as it transfers you to someone else's hosted session) multiplayer aspect can be hit and miss; you'll get offered a hack on an enemy but even if you don't take it they count as an enemy in your world that you can't hurt but who can/will attack you if they happen upon you. I was offered a remote hack and ignored and totally forgot about it, then got in a fight with police and the enemy player drove past and noticed and got out and killed me. Which leads to the second major issue, 95% of opponents are both rocking the inexplicably even-more-powerful-than-WD1 sniper rifle (it now destroys cars in a single hit instead of two), and they all set the auto-aim value to full so you'll get pinged from stupid distances by a rifle that one-shots you or one-shots your car, making some of the dynamic MP things like stealing armoured van contents or escaping the police (once you hit 3 stars it will invite other players to chase you down as well) disappointingly unfun.

Oh and while this is probably expected, pretty much 9 out of 10 friendlies you'll encounter who want to play missions with you will just completely ignore all the actual hacking stuff and just play them like a third person shooter. Having said that, if you've got a friend to play with or luck out and find someone who actually wants to play it like a Watch Dogs game (I have found a couple), then the co-op is really a lot of fun.

There are only two negatives as far as I'm concerned. Firstly the gunplay doesn't really feel right; it's a bit clunky (I haven't unlocked upgrades yet but then I don't like using the guns in this Watch Dogs, they fit better in the first one) but also you have a huge arsenal that feels way out of place given the story/theme (and you thought that GTA IV didn't make sense that you turn into a total psychopath once any given cut-scene ends). And secondly the mechanic by which you're regarded as an enemy by the various factions is a bit busted. You'll call in a gang hit into another gang's marked territory (in which that "local" gang will attack you if you enter), and while the fight is on, if you then trespass into the marked territory and are detected by the "local" gang, suddenly everyone is gunning for you, locals and called in alike. Same goes if you "help" out the gang or the police even with non-lethal weaponry, although I suppose that's less illogical, but it's jarring to watch (okay, create by planting evidence) a pitched street battle, and then inadvertently stand on a police car to get a better look, and suddenly half a dozen cops stop firing on armed and shooting gang-bangers to riddle you full of holes. The rule there is just that once you start a fight, you just watch your puppets dance and don't do anything to get in their way, lest your puppets turn on you.

If you liked Watch Dogs 1 and want a more enjoyable cast of characters and a kooky story that (I hope to hell) isn't taking itself seriously, with more hacking options, it's a good game. Maybe you don't have to have liked Watch Dogs 1, it was the game everyone loved to hate so I really can't tell.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Greenmangaming sent me an email with a 40% off voucher good for their random game packs. I did the 10 game pack.

I got... MASS EFFECT ANDROMEDA for ORIGIN :gonk: I don't even know what to do with that. Someone wanna trade for it? Hit me up, I guess? http://steamcommunity.com/id/cryomancer/ Isthereanydeal is telling me it's currently/historically 30 bucks so I guess I'd happily do like 20-25~ bucks worth of Steam stuff? Check my wishlist and see if you got something I want, I suppose? I'm going to work now but I can probably field offers on my phone and then finalize stuff when I get home later on.

The rest was garbo of course, and here's a game I already had: SPACE HACK: 263XE-NRWY7-2RZZH

Butter Hole
Dec 8, 2011

I bought Prey last night based on internet hypes and I'm not sure about it. The atmosphere is cool, and the story is interesting so far, but the combat seems wonkey and floatey. The gameplay seems like a search-through-drawers and manage-your-inventory simulator. I dislike the fallout/elders scroll games and it's reminding me of those in a bad way. Should I stick it out? I may ask for a refund (if you're under 2 hours you can do that yes?)

On another note, what are the best coop/multiplayer games on sale? A buddy and I are looking for something to play. We're pretty open minded when it comes to games but the games we've played the most over the past few years are blizzard games (HOTS, SC2, Overwatch). I'm thinking about earth defense force to change it up and try something co-op for once.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Nevvy Z posted:

To expland on other gungeon talk, Gungeon is a bit more "babbys first bullet hell" than it is "twinstick roguelite". It also has a few really brutal design choices like you can't get an item drop from a room if you take damage in that room, though some those may have been reverted.

Nuclear Throne is still the best game in the twinstick random murder genre.

Gungeon is fun at its core but it has a lot of weird design choices (like the enemies gaining health per floor, etc) that make it boring to play. I've sunk like 13 hours into it at this point and it's only starting to open up and give me good fun weapons/items.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Speaking of Gungeon, guess it's time to grab a bunch of Roguelikes I didn't want to buy at full price.

Anyone played the Darkest Dungeon DLC yet?

Xii
Dec 27, 2011

Only the coldest prevail.

Meridian posted:

Speaking of Gungeon, guess it's time to grab a bunch of Roguelikes I didn't want to buy at full price.

Anyone played the Darkest Dungeon DLC yet?

I have, its a great addition to the base game in my opinion. New mechanics, new items, new class, new storyline. What more could you want :v:

Downs Duck
Nov 19, 2005
"It's only after we've lost everything that we're free do to anything"

s.i.r.e. posted:

Here you go: https://steamcommunity.com/id/ghost_of_bukowski/recommended/239140

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
I'll agree Gungeon isn't for everyone, but if it's for you then that's 70-80 hours of entertainment. It's much more about player skill than getting items that let you breeze through the game.

katkillad2 fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Jun 23, 2017

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Cool, thanks for the thoughts on W_D2 everyone. I'm learning towards picking it up at this point. It's been a while since I played a drivey-shootey open world game and I actually enjoyed the original game enough to finish it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

Light Gun Man posted:

Greenmangaming sent me an email with a 40% off voucher good for their random game packs. I did the 10 game pack.

I got... MASS EFFECT ANDROMEDA for ORIGIN :gonk: I don't even know what to do with that. Someone wanna trade for it? Hit me up, I guess?

I'll give you seven cents and a copy of Bad Rats and you'll thank me for it.

• Locked thread